PDA

View Full Version : Head split scar area doesn't grow any hair. Can I promote the growth?

Astrid Carlisle
May 28th, 2018, 05:35 AM
Hello!
I realised that I have been having a question for the past few years that maybe some of you may be able to help me with.
A few years back I hit my head, creating a split in the scalp. I didn't go to the hospital to put stitches on it, and it closed up on its own. The only issue now, is that there is no hair on that line. It's like I have an inch-2 inches long "hairline" looking line, a bit off the hairline under an angle. This creates a parting problem, because if I ever part my hair on my right, inevitably somehow, the parting ends up on that scar parting line, even if I try to not do the parting close to it. And the "scar parting" looks thicker than usual parting, so it's obvious that it's not a natural hairline parting, but that there's a scar.

Does anyone know if I can apply any oils or do anything about the missing hair? Or will it never grow there now? If ladies need a picture, I can put one up.
I have tried coconut and olive oil on the scalp (did it a few times before washing), but haven't seen any difference in that scar line. Maybe I didn't do it enough, maybe it won't grow no matter what?

MusicalSpoons
May 28th, 2018, 06:21 AM
I don't know the answer to this, but my brother has a circular scar from where he almost completely sliced off a flap of skin. He did go to hospital and they glued it back together, and hair from inside the circle does grow, but along the actual scar it doesn't. Of course he hasn't tried anything to make it regrow, but just thought I'd share.

Actually, thinking of all the people I know who have scars in areas where hair usually grows (head, eyebrow, arm, leg, etc.) none of them have hair growing from the scar tissue. I have no scientific explanation to back up that observation though, sorry.

Joules
May 28th, 2018, 06:26 AM
Hair can't grow from scars. Scar tissue is different to normal skin, it soesn't have pores and hair follicles. My mom has got a small-ish scar on her scalp when she was a child, I see it every time I help her dye her hair.

Lady Stardust
May 28th, 2018, 06:34 AM
A friend of mine has an ear to ear scar from an operation. The hair hasn’t grown along the scar line but it hardly ever shows. Not many people look at the top of your head, I’m sure you’re more aware of it than others would be.

I think it takes time to get used to scars, more than a couple of years. After a while you might not be so conscious of it. I have a huge scar on my knee and was very conscious of it for the first year or two, to the extent that I wouldn’t expose it. I realised the other day that it’s still there but I’ve been wearing shorts and not even thinking about it.

lapushka
May 28th, 2018, 06:44 AM
If it hasn't grown hair in a couple of years, chances are very likely it will stay that way. Maybe come up with smart ways to part the hair? I'm sure you can figure a way around it. :flower:

Astrid Carlisle
May 28th, 2018, 06:55 AM
:( Okayyy /sad sigh
Thank you ladies! it's right above my face, close to the forehead. I never really think of it until I want to part it on that side, and then I'm like.. How do I keep it from becoming a shining star? :justy:
Funnily, the reason why I want to part it on that side, is because half a year ago I have noticed on my other left side, a weird few inch long hair patch, which was either cut off/burnt off by a hairdresser, or maybe its 'baby hair' out of nowhere. So that tends to stick up by itself because its quite short. Very funny how both sides have something annoying :o

Astrid Carlisle
May 28th, 2018, 06:56 AM
AAAAH and just living knowing about it (I am a little bit ocd), and it was such a silly incident when I hit my head

Joules
May 28th, 2018, 07:10 AM
:( Okayyy /sad sigh
Thank you ladies! it's right above my face, close to the forehead. I never really think of it until I want to part it on that side, and then I'm like.. How do I keep it from becoming a shining star? :justy:
Funnily, the reason why I want to part it on that side, is because half a year ago I have noticed on my other left side, a weird few inch long hair patch, which was either cut off/burnt off by a hairdresser, or maybe its 'baby hair' out of nowhere. So that tends to stick up by itself because its quite short. Very funny how both sides have something annoying :o

We tend to be more aware of our own little flaws that other people are when they look at us :) I have patches of psoriasis on exposed parts of my body (last year I even developed a patch on my lower lip), no one ever told me anything about it, I don't even think I've ever seen people stare at it. I'm sure your scar is completely invisible for people around you. Try not to be so hard on yourself :blossom:

HaMalka
May 28th, 2018, 07:22 AM
Depending on how noticeable it is and how sensitive the scar is you might be able to use eyebrow products to cover it up to a certain extent.

Ligeia Noire
May 28th, 2018, 09:01 AM
Same here. I have one right in the middle parting line of my scalp. Like 2cm. Hair does not grow there and it will never do. No follicles. I just do a side part. No big deal. Don't over think it.

enting
May 28th, 2018, 09:03 AM
I was going to mention what HaMalka suggested - using makeup to mask it.
If it's near the front, what about using small clips to hold the hair parted the way you want? That might prevent the hair from arranging itself to display the scar.

Scars do not have a good track record for healing and sprouting hair :(. The only things I can think of to try on the off chance that they just might help are all the creams out there designed to reduce the appearance of scars, or specifically castor oil rather than olive or coconut. At the very least they should help reduce the appearance of the scar as much as possible so that even if that minimal scar still can't grow hair, it will be as small an area as it can be. At best, they might be able to stimulate the body into healing and replacing the scar tissue, but that seems not very likely, or if it does happen, it will take a long time on the scale of a year to many years. I did read a report by someone who had a burn scar on her leg who applied castor oil every day and after a year it had healed and began growing back leg hair. But she began soon after the incident. An older scar may not be as responsive.

I have a scar somewhere on my head from when I fell when I was a kid. We didn't get me stitches, it healed on its own. For years hairdressers would comment on my "bald patch", but I can't seem to find it nowadays. Maybe it's just too far back and I can't see it, or maybe it has improved over time, I just don't know.

Glitch
May 28th, 2018, 09:41 AM
My sister has a scar across her eyebrow from a childhood accident, and hair never grew back in there either. However, she masks it really well by brushing hair over it and sometimes uses a brow pencil as well. If you also decide to use makeup, there are specific kinds for the scalp to cover thin or hairless areas so they look just like the rest of the hair :)

daisy rei
May 28th, 2018, 02:23 PM
AAAAH and just living knowing about it (I am a little bit ocd), and it was such a silly incident when I hit my head

i would just try to embrace it, as a memory of that silly incident!

imperfections are irritating (i'm also a little bit ocd) but they are what make us unique! like strange birth marks in visible places. most people don't notice them or pay any attention to them after initial observation.

Katsura
May 28th, 2018, 03:01 PM
I've been thinking about this too because I may have scarred my scalp some when my trichotillomania was worse. I sometimes got scabs from pulling and stressing my scalp and then I had to pick those scabs too. I may have lost some hairs forever, I don't know.