PDA

View Full Version : Hair Dye Recommendations?

KlutzyChy1
May 27th, 2018, 04:20 PM
Hi, I was wondering if any of you had any good recommendations for a long lasting purple hair dye that won't cause too much damage? I'm wanting to add a purple tint to my hair. I dyed my hair black but I do have a lot of brown that peeks through. I took a picture in the sun so you can better see what I'm working with.

https://imagizer.imageshack.com/v2/640x480q90/922/YqeH5B.jpg (http://imageshack.com/f/pmYqeH5Bj)

(Bad picture, I know. Second day hair after having it in a braid all night :p)

Dark40
May 27th, 2018, 05:46 PM
You can try a semi-permanent hair dye. It's called, "Adore." I think they have a shade of purple or close to purple of what you're looking for. Or, you can also try, "Jazzing." They may also have a shade of purple semi-permanent hair dyes as well. And both Adore and Jazzing is damaging to the hair. When you try out the 2 hair dyes the instructions say that if you want it to last a long time you will need to use heat. Or, sit under a hooded dryer for 20 or 30 minutes.

KlutzyChy1
May 27th, 2018, 08:05 PM
I had three other people reply to this thread before, does anyone know why I'm not seeing those replies now?

Cybercat
May 27th, 2018, 10:04 PM
I am on a dye hair forum too. Big recommendation is Arctic Fox Purple Rain. I love the color plan on getting it soon. Personally I have done Ions Dark Burgandy​ red browns which gave me amazing purple highlights.

lapushka
May 28th, 2018, 08:21 AM
I had three other people reply to this thread before, does anyone know why I'm not seeing those replies now?

Could you have made 2 threads by mistake? I don't see my reply here either. Hmm no, it doesn't look like it.

Anyway, I had recommended you to try a spray paint first like L'Orčal colorista, to see whether or not you like the fun colors in your hair (that one comes out after a wash), but the others will take weeks if not months, if they ever come out at all.

I think Sephora do a new range, I've seen a YTer (KayleyMelissa) try it out.

Margarita
May 28th, 2018, 08:36 AM
Crazycolor, i've heard they are vegan dye and its totally safe. I havent use them, but i see many people picking this brand =)

cathair
May 28th, 2018, 10:44 AM

I commented. I'm sure I did. My comments have gone missing in other threads too.

Anyway, I like Directions dye :) it's very long lasting when I leave it on over night wrapped in cling film them wash out.

Glitch
May 28th, 2018, 10:57 AM
Could you have made 2 threads by mistake? I don't see my reply here either. Hmm no, it doesn't look like it.

Anyway, I had recommended you to try a spray paint first like L'Orčal colorista, to see whether or not you like the fun colors in your hair (that one comes out after a wash), but the others will take weeks if not months, if they ever come out at all.

When the boards glitched out yesterday, everyone's recent replies for that past hour or so were deleted. So this is the same thread :D

KlutzyChy1
May 28th, 2018, 03:01 PM
Okay, phew. Goodness, I thought I was going crazy for a minute there hehe. :p

KlutzyChy1
May 28th, 2018, 03:04 PM

I definitely do like fun colors. I have had both a blue & purple tint put over my black hair in the past & really loved both, the only problem is is that they both seemed to wash out within a week (without me washing every day). Actually, if you can see from my picture, even the black dye doesn't seem to stick to my hair completely. & I KNOW I didn't miss that much hair when dyeing it since I dyed it twice using two different hair dyes & two boxes each time. Does anyone know why this might be & what I could do to make the dye stick better (aside from bleaching)?

KlutzyChy1
May 28th, 2018, 03:07 PM
I believe someone yesterday recommended pravana vivids dye in violet, but I couldn't quite figure out how I'm supposed to use it. Are you supposed to mix it with conditioner? Is it okay to leave these dyes on overnight?

KlutzyChy1
May 28th, 2018, 03:08 PM
I am on a dye hair forum too. Big recommendation is Arctic Fox Purple Rain. I love the color plan on getting it soon. Personally I have done Ions Dark Burgandy​ red browns which gave me amazing purple highlights.

I've heard a lot of good things about Arctic fox but wanted to hold off as it seemed quite pricy! I've tried the Ions dye in the past but it washed out so quickly!

Synester
May 28th, 2018, 03:08 PM
use a vegetable base dye for a tint. Special Effects and pravana VIVDS make the strongest deposit dyes ive ever used. no bleaching needed.

PixieP
May 28th, 2018, 03:11 PM
No damage & long lasting is a difficult combo for special colours. My best friend has purple hair, but she uses Schwarzkopf XXL, because that's the only thing that will stay purple in her hair. However that is a regular box dye and will damage as it.

KlutzyChy1
May 28th, 2018, 03:30 PM
No damage & long lasting is a difficult combo for special colours. My best friend has purple hair, but she uses Schwarzkopf XXL, because that's the only thing that will stay purple in her hair. However that is a regular box dye and will damage as it.

I mean, I'd be happy with it lasting a month or two, but every time I've tried to add a tint over my black hair, it only lasts a few days (maaaaybbeeeee a week), before it's completely washed out (&that's without me washing every day).

KlutzyChy1
May 28th, 2018, 03:31 PM
I mean, I'd be happy with it lasting a month or two, but every time I've tried to add a tint over my black hair, it only lasts a few days (maaaaybbeeeee a week), before it's completely washed out (&that's without me washing every day).

Even with me using two boxes of two different permanent box black dyes, it STILL doesn't seem to stick to all of my hair. If you look at my picture, you can see A LOT of brown peeking through & I know I didn't miss that much hair when dyeing it.

lapushka
May 28th, 2018, 03:38 PM
I definitely do like fun colors. I have had both a blue & purple tint put over my black hair in the past & really loved both, the only problem is is that they both seemed to wash out within a week (without me washing every day). Actually, if you can see from my picture, even the black dye doesn't seem to stick to my hair completely. & I KNOW I didn't miss that much hair when dyeing it since I dyed it twice using two different hair dyes & two boxes each time. Does anyone know why this might be & what I could do to make the dye stick better (aside from bleaching)?

Aren't you using indigo? In which case: do not use bleach, it will turn your hair green!

KlutzyChy1
May 28th, 2018, 03:49 PM
Aren't you using indigo? In which case: do not use bleach, it will turn your hair green!

Indigo? Isn't that like henna? No no, I've never used that.I'm far too afraid to try that. It seems like such a complicated process & I feel like I'd mess it up somehow! I just use plain old box black dye.

Robot Ninja
May 28th, 2018, 04:39 PM
I believe someone yesterday recommended pravana vivids dye in violet, but I couldn't quite figure out how I'm supposed to use it. Are you supposed to mix it with conditioner? Is it okay to leave these dyes on overnight?

Pravana is the longest-lasting purple I've used. You can mix it with conditioner if you want, to dilute the color a bit, since it's very dark undiluted, or just use it straight from the tube. Special Effects was also long-lasting for me but rubbed off like crazy, even when my hair was dry. But everyone's hair is different, and semis that last a long time for some people wash out quickly for others.

Yes, you can leave them on overnight. These semi-permanent dyes that you use straight from the bottle or tube, with no developer, don't damage your hair at all.

Permanent dyes will not stick as well if your hair is damaged from repeated dyeing; however, semi-permanents will stick better. For maximum stick-ability, wash your hair with a clarifying shampoo before dyeing, and leave the dye on for as long as possible.

lapushka
May 28th, 2018, 04:40 PM
Indigo? Isn't that like henna? No no, I've never used that.I'm far too afraid to try that. It seems like such a complicated process & I feel like I'd mess it up somehow! I just use plain old box black dye.

Oh OK, my bad for just assuming! Oh in that case bleach is OK (not that I recommend it in any way, I've had my share of bleach disasters).

cathair
May 28th, 2018, 04:42 PM

I believe it's deposit only, so should be okay left on overnight. It does contain protein though, so your hair would need to be okay with that.

Edit: sorry I see this had been answered by Robot Ninja already. Great point about clarifying. Helps a lot. I clarify, dry my hair fully, apply dye to dry hair, leave, rinse then condition at the very end.

KlutzyChy1
May 28th, 2018, 05:11 PM
I believe it's deposit only, so should be okay left on overnight. It does contain protein though, so your hair would need to be okay with that.

Edit: sorry I see this had been answered by Robot Ninja already. Great point about clarifying. Helps a lot. I clarify, dry my hair fully, apply dye to dry hair, leave, rinse then condition at the very end.

How do you know if your hair is okay with protein? The top half of my hair is fairly damage free, but the bottom half has years worth of old heat & dye damage & tends to split & get breakage quite easily. Would protein be bad for this? & Thank you both! I've never thought to clarify my hair before dyeing & haven't in quite some time as it is, so I should do that anyway hehe :p

KlutzyChy1
May 28th, 2018, 05:14 PM
Oh OK, my bad for just assuming! Oh in that case bleach is OK (not that I recommend it in any way, I've had my share of bleach disasters).

It's okay, no worries! Don't worry, no matter what color I wanted, I'd never use bleach. I've done my fair share of damaging things to my hair, but bleach absolutely terrifies me. It's only a tint that I'm after&i figure since I have so much brown peeking through, I figured it would show up enough to have a purple sheen in the sunlight.

Robot Ninja
May 28th, 2018, 05:52 PM
How do you know if your hair is okay with protein? The top half of my hair is fairly damage free, but the bottom half has years worth of old heat & dye damage & tends to split & get breakage quite easily. Would protein be bad for this? & Thank you both! I've never thought to clarify my hair before dyeing & haven't in quite some time as it is, so I should do that anyway hehe :p

Protein is actually good for dye-damaged hair.

You shouldn't clarify before using an oxidizing box dye; you're supposed to use those on dirty hair. But with deposit-only semi-permanents, like the ones we're talking about here, you need clean hair for the dye to stick to.

Rhoward
May 28th, 2018, 10:07 PM

That was me! I don't know what happened to my comment, really weird! Pravana Vivids is a Salon Professional direct dye, you don't mix it with anything, I wouldn't leave it on overnight but you could do a couple of hours. If you want a less intense result you mix your colour (violet in this case) with the pravana vivids clear to get a more pastel result. But on your dark hair I'd just use it straight without diluting it. It will wash out after a few weeks.

If you can't get to a trade store or beauty supply that stocks it (it is salon only product so it might be hard to get from a store without being licensed)you can get your hands on it on eBay or Amazon easy enough.

Wash hair, no conditioner, towel dry, apply vivids shade, leave for minimum 30 minutes or 2 hours in your case for better results, rince well, apply conditioner, rince out, done! The tubes are pretty big, but with your hair it might pay to get two of them just to be safe.

http://www.pravana.com/hair-color/vivids/chromasilk-vivids.html