PDA

View Full Version : How to achieve this braid?

cjk
May 27th, 2018, 08:28 AM
Janelle Monae always inspires me.

https://pixel.nymag.com/imgs/fashion/daily/2018/04/27/janelle-monae/03.w710.h473.jpg

This is from her visual album, Dirty Computer. Please notice she has a beautiful braid, but it's terminated in an interesting way. The end is looped around a gold ring and, presumably, back into itself. How is this done?

I'm nowhere near having enough length to do this, yet, but would love to figure it out.

MoonRabbit
May 27th, 2018, 09:41 AM
Hard to tell but it kind of looks like it starts at the front hairline like a lace braid them finished off with a single three strand. The ring is added into place then the braid is folded onto itself and pinned up?

Eta.. Are the ends of the braid twisted around at the base near her neck as well?

Shepherdess
May 27th, 2018, 11:17 AM
That is beautiful!!! Now I want to know how she did it too!!!

lithostoic
May 27th, 2018, 12:01 PM
Looks like a crochet braid

lapushka
May 27th, 2018, 01:55 PM
Either the ring is open, or the braid is folded onto itself. I think it's the latter.

cjk
May 27th, 2018, 02:22 PM
It's hard to find a good picture of it. Must not be structuring good search terms. When she was dancing it moved around and I paid attention.

It's obviously folded into itself. Having seen the tucked French braid thread, I think this could be a variation.

Maybe I'll just have to buy a topsy tail on eBay, so I can be prepared when I get enough length.

AmaryllisRed
May 27th, 2018, 09:49 PM
This is a pretty cool look so I had to try it. I just stuck the ring in there halfway through braiding and then wove the bottom half back up through the top half and pinned the end.
It looks cooler if you're Janelle Monae, of course! But it makes me wonder, what else could I attach to my braid?
https://i.imgur.com/2a5gyru.jpg

Khristopher
May 28th, 2018, 12:13 AM
This is a pretty cool look so I had to try it. I just stuck the ring in there halfway through braiding and then wove the bottom half back up through the top half and pinned the end.
It looks cooler if you're Janelle Monae, of course! But it makes me wonder, what else could I attach to my braid?
I think it looks great!! Good job ;) Now I want to try it as well, I think it would look good with a colorful paranda braid

lapushka
May 28th, 2018, 06:39 AM
Hmm. I just see a safety hazard - imagine all the things that ring can hang and get caught behind. I think I'll pass. It's nice for pictures but practical it isn't.

elsiedeluxe
May 28th, 2018, 07:14 AM

This is so cool! I love it. Now I'm *really* missing my braids.

AmaryllisRed
May 28th, 2018, 07:17 AM
Hmm. I just see a safety hazard - imagine all the things that ring can hang and get caught behind. I think I'll pass. It's nice for pictures but practical it isn't.

I was thinking how practical it is! Think of all the things you can hang from it, like keys! No need for pockets or a purse! 😂

cathair
May 28th, 2018, 10:56 AM
I was thinking how practical it is! Think of all the things you can hang from it, like keys! No need for pockets or a purse! ��

It looks like a handle, you know someone is going to grab it!

Queerantine
May 28th, 2018, 11:07 AM

I was so excited to try this, then realized I'm the type of person who gets hung up on lever-style door handles on an embarrassingly regular basis, so this is not the hairstyle for me. I've ripped the belt loops off pants that way, can you imagine what I would do to my poor hair? Hahahaha. Looks cool though.

AutobotsAttack
May 28th, 2018, 12:47 PM

.....there’s always the obvious option to have the ring be much smaller.
Can’t imagine it being any more of a safety hazard than hoop earrings that are medium sized.

“practicality” is extremely subjective to each individual. Mrs. Monet is a celebrity. Hair like this is extremely practical for her. It’s practical for other people who have jobs that emphasize style or hair styles. It may not be practical for people who have jobs that requiring caring for kids, or they move around a lot, or are around things that stick out or can have things get stuck on. And for some people hairstyles like that present no danger to them, or they have desk jobs where they don’t move around too often, or they keep their hair at a certain length to where it wouldnt get caught anyways. To generalize that the braid style isn’t “practical” overall may be true for you, but not for millions of other women.

cjk
May 28th, 2018, 01:22 PM
"...for millions of other women." ...or men.

I promise that once I'm able to achieve a braid of sufficient thickness, I will be trying my own variation of this. It's just too good of a look.

Might do something related in my beard, too.

And, hallelujah, someone else familiar with Janelle Monae! She's not totally mainstream but it's not like I'm linking to k-pop.

AutobotsAttack
May 28th, 2018, 02:54 PM
"...for millions of other women." ...or men.

I promise that once I'm able to achieve a braid of sufficient thickness, I will be trying my own variation of this. It's just too good of a look.

Might do something related in my beard, too.

And, hallelujah, someone else familiar with Janelle Monae! She's not totally mainstream but it's not like I'm linking to k-pop.

Yes men too. Apologies.

Her music is awesome. At least in America lots of folks know of her.

If you do something for your beard please post it. I’m sure it’ll look awesome!

Kat
May 29th, 2018, 06:28 AM
To me it looks like the braid is not only folded back, but re-braided into itself. If it was only folded back, it would look like a loop, not like a solid braid. It also looks like it might have more than three strands?

I was so excited to try this, then realized I'm the type of person who gets hung up on lever-style door handles on an embarrassingly regular basis, so this is not the hairstyle for me. I've ripped the belt loops off pants that way, can you imagine what I would do to my poor hair? Hahahaha. Looks cool though.

Hello, my twin... :) If there is something to get caught on, I will get caught on it. The other day there was about 4mm of a metal spike sticking out of the sidewalk... I caught my pant leg on it (*how??*). If I walk past one of those type of doorknobs, my hair or bag strap or clothing will catch on it. It's one of those "what are even the ODDS???" things...

Queerantine
May 29th, 2018, 10:58 AM
Hello, my twin... :) If there is something to get caught on, I will get caught on it. The other day there was about 4mm of a metal spike sticking out of the sidewalk... I caught my pant leg on it (*how??*). If I walk past one of those type of doorknobs, my hair or bag strap or clothing will catch on it. It's one of those "what are even the ODDS???" things...

Hahaha yesssss! Best of the month - I work a couple of bartending shifts a week, and somehow, when I made a quick spin, the tip of my braid got wrapped around a jigger (which are tucked out of the way, as we almost never use them), pulled it out of its nook, and held on to it. Of course I didn't notice it at first, and my coworkers thought I was ending up on the weirder end of "creative" with my hairstyle choices.