PDA

View Full Version : Broken Hairs (What’s an “Acceptable” amount?)

AutobotsAttack
May 25th, 2018, 10:43 PM
This is more of a share your thoughts/opinions.

Of course the answer we all want and would most likely reply: None. Zero. Nada.

However broken hairs....happen. Sometimes regardless of how gentle you are, and sometimes due to us not being gentle enough. Sometimes due to protein or moisture overload, and sometimes to health reasons or the weather.

But let’s assume (which I’m sure we all are anyways) that we are all on top of our regimens, or working towards revising or getting back on track with our regimens.

What’s an acceptable amount of broken hairs, per day, per week, and even per month if you’re being mindful?

Note: when I say acceptable, I mean broken hairs that would not otherwise interfere with length retention, or to where it’s not noticeable. And a bit of honesty could be fun to bring this topic down to earth and relatable. I think everyone’s experienced breakage some time or another. Everyone’s opinions are valid, and it would be appreciated to be considerate and kind to one another when discussing opinions.

Share your thoughts and opinions!

For me, I find 1-5 broken hairs a week to be an acceptable amount. And 10+ broken hairs a week to be a red flag. Be it from whatever I mentioned above or something not yet mentioned. There are plenty of other weeks where I see perhaps one broken hair. If that. But I do have my weeks where I see a few more.

shaluwm_agape
May 25th, 2018, 11:24 PM
I haven't really experienced breakage. only once when I had severe protein overload. I had almost 100 broken hairs in a week. I am not sure if I find broken hair is acceptable unless I have been neglecting my hair

AutobotsAttack
May 26th, 2018, 12:23 AM
I haven't really experienced breakage. only once when I had severe protein overload. I had almost 100 broken hairs in a week. I am not sure if I find broken hair is acceptable unless I have been neglecting my hair

I’ve had similar experiences with protein overload. It mostly effects my ends of all places lol.

AutobotsAttack
May 26th, 2018, 12:33 AM
So far, for textured hair such as mine, here’s a blog/article post concerning breakage, and an opinion of a salon stylist.
https://bglh-marketplace.com/2014/12/how-much-breakage-in-natural-hair-is-normal/

If anyone finds anymore articles on other hair types they would be much appreciated!

Sarahlabyrinth
May 26th, 2018, 12:49 AM
Wouldn't natural hair and virgin hair be the same thing?

Hairkay
May 26th, 2018, 05:35 AM
Wouldn't natural hair and virgin hair be the same thing?

Yes they are the same. It's just that there's a "natural hair movement" for those that decided to stop using relaxers so many articles refer to "naturals" who have had this hair history.

I'm not sure what my average breakage is these days. It's hardly noticeable since I took up the deep conditioning habit. I do hear the odd hair snap if I'm not careful enough when I'm detangling and styling my hair but since I'm not doing this daily I don't worry over it. I also do S & D rather than let damaged hair ends snap off at will.

lithostoic
May 26th, 2018, 06:37 AM
I don't really pay attention. If I cared that much, I'd never wear my hair down!

lapushka
May 26th, 2018, 06:56 AM
I have no broken hairs, but I have undamaged, not dyed, virgin hair.

Hair shouldn't break under normal circumstances. It really shouldn't. If it does, something's up.

Of course if you have chemical services done, like perms, relaxers, dyes, bleaches, you can expect some damage but as long as it stays to a minimum, it's probably fine. You should always outweigh the pros & cons of things like this. I'm not doing any of it anymore. No way. I have had my stints with quite a bit of this; not anymore. It's just not worth it, to me.

ravenheather
May 26th, 2018, 08:51 AM
Occasionally I hear a hair snap of I'm not careful detangling. But it's really only like 2-3 a month. I don't see breakage.

nycelle
May 26th, 2018, 10:29 AM
For me at least 5 or so a day is normal. But it doesn't seem to interfere with my length retention.

AutobotsAttack
May 26th, 2018, 11:25 AM
I don't really pay attention. If I cared that much, I'd never wear my hair down!

Hey, I definitely understand. I think enjoying your hair regardless is a great outlook on growing your hair.

AutobotsAttack
May 26th, 2018, 11:28 AM
Occasionally I hear a hair snap of I'm not careful detangling. But it's really only like 2-3 a month. I don't see breakage.

I have a similar situation when finger detangling. Occasionally there’s a hair that’s just not expecting to be handled a certain way and I hear a snap.

For me at least 5 or so a day is normal. But it doesn't seem to interfere with my length retention.

That’s also an acceptable amount in my opinion too

MoonRabbit
May 26th, 2018, 11:47 AM
I always get snapping when I detangle. Doesn't matter how gentle I am, or if I use my fingers, comb, brush..it just happens.

I've always wondered if my protein/moisture balance is off. I'm back on bi weekly moisture treatment, but I never once tried a protein treatment...don't really know what to look for.

AutobotsAttack
May 26th, 2018, 02:29 PM
I always get snapping when I detangle. Doesn't matter how gentle I am, or if I use my fingers, comb, brush..it just happens.

I've always wondered if my protein/moisture balance is off. I'm back on bi weekly moisture treatment, but I never once tried a protein treatment...don't really know what to look for.

Really just anything with hydrolyzed wheat, silk, or amino proteins. Coconut oil works too. Milk proteins. Keratin treatments (some are on the pricy side).

Glitch
May 26th, 2018, 04:40 PM

It happens to me when I'm being rough with a brush, ripping through parts of my hair. When I'm in a big rush sometimes I don't take my time with it since I'm too busy worrying about being late :doh: I don't do this often though, thankfully.

Combing through gently doesn't take me long, so I try to remember that and be more patient!

Simsy
May 26th, 2018, 10:55 PM
My hair will only be properly detangled once or twice a week. During the week, it goes under hats, rubs against seat backs and is generally ignored. My big thing is moisture; if I’m good and remember my oil and masques; I will get one small handful hair from each half of my head, a fairly even mix of breakage and sheds.

Borgessa
May 26th, 2018, 11:44 PM
I hear the odd snap here and there when I french or dutch braid, I figure its just the nature of the beast. I am very gentle with it, but still, I have heard it, maybe about 2 when doing a french/dutch braid, starting at my bangs and all the way back. I have thought about not doing them anymore, but 2 max snaps now and then, i can live with. I love braids, especially a french one, who doesn't. So my answer, depending on the braid, zero to 3.. My hair is super fine, and fragile, i must add.

Stray_mind
May 27th, 2018, 12:50 AM
Well, a reasonable amount for me personally is the one i "don't pay attention" to...

I don't really hear any Snapping sounds lately when i am putting my hair up, but occasionally one or two broken hairs come out when i Undo my updos.

If i start worrying about my broken hairs, then i know it got bad.

Rebeccalaurenxx
May 27th, 2018, 01:15 AM
Like 10 a week for me at least. Went back to micro trimming and I hope it will change once the henna and indigo fades out.
For me, I think my hair type plays a huge role. Breakage is normal. To me there isnt a specific number to look for, just how "apparent" it appears.
Or if my growth is being affected. Thats usually the tipping point. At least for me.

Sarahlabyrinth
May 27th, 2018, 03:07 AM
I probably get an odd one, but I'm always gentle with my hair, so I'm pretty sure I have it at a minimal level, in any case I don't worry about it and just care for my hair as best as I know how to. That's all we can do, right? :D

MusicalSpoons
May 27th, 2018, 10:42 AM
Any hairs that break are usually down to having a split somewhere along it. For me, a few per week is an acceptable amount. I suppose there are ways I could try to optimise my routine to try to eliminate mechanical damage, but my current routine is a balance between being good enough for my hair and fitting in with the rest of my circumstances. Therefore a few breaks due to low levels of mechanical damage are acceptable losses, to me.

Andthetalltrees
May 27th, 2018, 12:17 PM
Like 1-5 a day? I tend to get my hair caught in things and I'm not the most gentle. I'm 90% sure this is where all of my split originate but whatever I'm not too worried since overall it's growing and a few broken hairs or splits isn't holding me back and never have

Kae612
May 27th, 2018, 06:17 PM
Wow I didn't realize other people didn't experience breaking so much. I feel hairs snap every time I put my hair up, take it down, put it into a braid, unbraid, detangle. Even just moving my braid over my shoulder a hair can get caught on my glasses, my shirt, my fingernail, whatever and snap. Maybe that's why I have such a poofy halo of hair around my head. I don't really know how to avoid it. Just pushing a stick into or out of a nautilus bun will cause at least a couple hairs to snap. Hm.

AutobotsAttack
June 1st, 2018, 11:53 PM
Wow I didn't realize other people didn't experience breaking so much. I feel hairs snap every time I put my hair up, take it down, put it into a braid, unbraid, detangle. Even just moving my braid over my shoulder a hair can get caught on my glasses, my shirt, my fingernail, whatever and snap. Maybe that's why I have such a poofy halo of hair around my head. I don't really know how to avoid it. Just pushing a stick into or out of a nautilus bun will cause at least a couple hairs to snap. Hm.

For a while it never occurred to me either. Up until I came across this place did I ever consider observing hair breakage. At least the mechanical kind.

Claireabelle123
June 2nd, 2018, 01:21 AM
Honestly my hair hates me. I would say in a day I have roughly 20-30 hair breakages. I'm going through quite a stressful time so I think it's taking its toll on my hair. Honestly I comb it like silk and still get loads of breakage. I find it ironic, I put it in a braid to protect it but so much comes out as I put it in the braid it makes it feel pointless

Mega Moose
June 2nd, 2018, 08:41 AM
I'm another person who gets lots of breakage... My hairs are so fine, it's hard to avoid. I can just touch it wrong and get a hair to snap. It's been discouraging lately because I try my hardest to be gentle and keep it moisturized and such, but my broken hair halo has been getting more and more noticable. This is also the longest my hair has ever been, so it's probably more noticable due to that too. In the past I'd have decided it was time for a pixie cut by now. I like my long hair, but even when it's up it's not protected. My husband will touch my head and there goes another. @_@

mrsmushroom
July 21st, 2018, 07:04 PM
so what do y'all count as hair breakage? after about a month my hair brush base is coated with a mass of fallen off hairs. does this mean i should brush more gently? i use a wet brush only on my dry hair.

Kesali
July 21st, 2018, 11:35 PM
Honestly my hair hates me. I would say in a day I have roughly 20-30 hair breakages. I'm going through quite a stressful time so I think it's taking its toll on my hair. Honestly I comb it like silk and still get loads of breakage. I find it ironic, I put it in a braid to protect it but so much comes out as I put it in the braid it makes it feel pointless

I relate strongly to the part about stress. I've had a stressful spring/summer, and I've seen the effects of it in breakage and shedding. Hoping to change that!

lapushka
July 22nd, 2018, 04:02 AM
so what do y'all count as hair breakage? after about a month my hair brush base is coated with a mass of fallen off hairs. does this mean i should brush more gently? i use a wet brush only on my dry hair.

I clean my brush out after every use (weekly). This way you can keep an eye on the hairs you lose and what your "rate" is on that.

I think after a month that's pretty normal.

Losing up to 100 hairs a day is still a normal amount.

MusicalSpoons
July 22nd, 2018, 08:26 AM

Breakage = hairs that have broken, rather than hairs that have shed out naturally. I'm not entirely certain of all the ways to tell them apart, but of a hair has a bulb on the end then it's a shed hair. (But if a hair doesn't have a bulb on the end if doesn't necessarily mean it's broken, but as I said I don't really know what other ways there are to tell.)