PDA

View Full Version : The #1 thing i wont miss!

shaluwm_agape
May 21st, 2018, 11:17 PM
So my mom dyed her hair today and it brought back many memories. I was washing my hands in her bathroom and noticed that her beautiful white shower curtain was badly stained with brown dye. Idk if she even realized it but it made me think of myself. I am soooo glad i stopped dying my hair. Lol. That was the one thing i really hated.

What about you guys... what is the one thing you are happy you stopped doing. Stories appreciated!

MidnightMoon
May 21st, 2018, 11:20 PM
It depends, I have my moments when I actually miss hair dye :p
I guess I'm glad when I see someone's roots and tell myself how good it is not to bother every month covering those up. It really is hard, specially when there's a big colour difference.

Katsura
May 21st, 2018, 11:22 PM
I think it's the dyeing for me too. I just went through henna after stopping using chemical dyes, and now I'm trying to learn to go without dyeing completely. I just don't know if I'll succeed.

shaluwm_agape
May 21st, 2018, 11:23 PM
It depends, I have my moments when I actually miss hair dye :p
I guess I'm glad when I see someone's roots and tell myself how good it is not to bother every month covering those up. It really is hard, specially when there's a big colour difference.

I have my moments too. But the mess is a deterrent for me i hated accidently staining the floor or wall lol

shaluwm_agape
May 21st, 2018, 11:25 PM
I think it's the dyeing for me too. I just went through henna after stopping using chemical dyes, and now I'm trying to learn to go without dyeing completely. I just don't know if I'll succeed.

You can do it :cheer: im in your corner!

Sarahlabyrinth
May 22nd, 2018, 12:05 AM
I don't miss dying my hair - at all! The smell, the mess, the expense, the roots - and my virgin silver hair is so gleamy and shiny and healthier than my dyed hair, even though I was so careful to dye roots only...

shaluwm_agape
May 22nd, 2018, 12:11 AM
Sarah how could I forget about the $$$ lol And ditto on smell

Kake
May 22nd, 2018, 12:15 AM
Dye for me too. Horrible, horrible stuff.

And related to dye; worrying about my roots. Not matter what happened or what I was doing roots were part of the thought process. Holidays, parties, funerals etc. Finding time to do roots was a massive pain.

Katsura
May 22nd, 2018, 12:39 AM
You can do it :cheer: im in your corner!

Thank you for the support! :)

Glitch
May 22nd, 2018, 02:17 AM
I always enjoyed flat ironing my hair and coloring it as well. Strange, yeah :p Anyway, one thing I won't miss at all are my roots showing! Hated that a lot. Now, my hair can freely and healthily grow and grow and I don't ever have to worry about touching anything up :)

Joules
May 22nd, 2018, 03:25 AM
I don't really miss the natural color of my ends, ironically enough :D

I started dyeing my hair with henna last November, after almost 8 years of intense sls-free and cone-free hair care. Yes, root touch ups are a pain in the butt, but it helped me to start enjoying my long hair again. My natural color is blonette, cool-toned at roots, but it gets lighter and warmer with time (and sun exposure), so lower third of my length was that disgusting brownist yellow color that resembled dry grass. Combined with natural dryness and waviness of my hair, it gave out the impression that I really had dry grass on my head. It irritated me more than all the other hair issues combined, and it was the main reason behind my 25cm chop in March 2016.

Now that my hair is colored, my ends are bright red, and I absolutely love it. Plus, I can go for up to 6 weeks without touch ups, since the demarcation line is quite subtle.

Jas
May 22nd, 2018, 04:22 AM
The money spent on dyeing! Definitely that. and roots.

lapushka
May 22nd, 2018, 04:44 AM
I don't miss the henna, the chemical dye or the bleach. At all.

My mom dyed her hair yesterday and came downstairs with a stained washcloth; apparently she had rubbed the stains off her forehead with it willy nilly instead of with paper towel and soap. She quickly bleached the stains out (household bleach) and all was fine again.

She always does a quick run-around of her bathroom after dye application just so there's no spots or dye stains anywhere.

Also, I haven't cut my hair since November 2016 and I don't miss the shears either.

lithostoic
May 22nd, 2018, 06:18 AM
Glad I stopped straightening it every day. With hairspray in it D:

nycelle
May 22nd, 2018, 06:54 AM
Heat styling. I think over the years, that did more damage than coloring.

I do miss coloring though, and can see myself going back to it eventually. But when I do, I'm gonna go a shade darker than I am for minimal damage.

AutobotsAttack
May 22nd, 2018, 08:10 AM
I remember when I would red rinse my hair and it turned my entire sink bubble gum pink for weeks. Lol.

But I’m mostly glad I don’t use heat anymore. I will occasionally 1-3 times a year. But I definitely don’t miss the heat damage and breakage.

lapushka
May 22nd, 2018, 08:21 AM
Oh yes, heat styling too, on damp hair even (cringe), back when I had a bob. That gave me white dots up to the root area. No wonder. :(

Folks, I did it all, all the stuff that you aren't supposed to do to your hair, and you can come out the other end with nice and healthy hair! It is possible, do-able, and such a turn around when you finally get that far! :flower:

Henrietta
May 22nd, 2018, 08:30 AM
I've never dyed my hair (apart from applying some red dye to one, thin strand as an experiment) but I've had people enabling me. To me, it has always seemed like a thing that has more costs than advantages. The feeling of having a new look must be great, sure, but even this can be replaced with other things. I watched the people who kept telling me I should dye my hair complain about their dyed hair and I laughed. The roots and the constant "I have to touch up my hair" mode. The fact that the colour can be completely different than expectations during the first dyeing and even if it's a touch up, it can turn out different than it did before. The damage. The fading. The risk of the colour looking odd against the skin tone. The trouble with changing the dye even if it's to a darker shade. The blondes are always too yellow, the reds fade in days and the browns are always too dark or too cool :D When I observe people who dyr their hair, they enjoy the first few days when it's new and perfect. And then, dyed hair is always one big problem ;)
Of course, I know there are people who have been dying their hair for years and they see more advantages than problems. But still. I see so many potential problems which turn out to be true in my friends' stories that nothing will persuade me to dye my hair.

shaluwm_agape
May 22nd, 2018, 08:40 AM
Totally i remember when i wanted pin straight hair we would legit pull out the iron *cringe* i actually did more damage with the heated crimpers i know i gave that away and i did the same to my straightener i dont remember why... But i honestly dont miss them at all.

AutobotsAttack ahh yes and the rin of pink on clothes lol.

Henrietta Ahh yes i just wish i had the strength to embrace myself sooner

Henrietta
May 22nd, 2018, 08:50 AM
My strength was external at first, and it was my step-mother who just didn't allow me to dye my hair :D Then, when I could theoretically do it, I have seen enough downsides to lose the interest ;)

nycelle
May 22nd, 2018, 08:52 AM
@Henrietta ^ This happens when people don't know what they're doing, which unfortunately is most of the time when they do it themselves with box dye.

That's why I won't ever color my own hair. Never had any of these issues when my colorist was doing it, even with highlights.

LadyArwen
May 22nd, 2018, 09:35 AM
Blow drying and curling! I now only do it for special occasions, and even then I try to do undos now. I love the way it looks, but my poor hair. Now if I want a little wave, I sleep in a dutch braid and take it out in the morning...styling hair is too much work :mad: People try to straighten their hair, and mine does it naturally why fight it?

Queerantine
May 22nd, 2018, 10:46 AM
I don't miss how destroyed the flat iron made my hair. I used it every day when my hair was shorter. Now I only use heat if I'm going to a wedding or some big event and my hair isn't cooperating in the way I want it to. So like, once a year.

pili
May 22nd, 2018, 11:38 AM
When I first went CG I used to think I had to wet my hair every day. Now I only wash it every 7-10 days. I so don't miss having wet hair and roots 85% of the time! I don't think I ever got hydra fatigue (my hair is very coarse), but I do think my scalp suffered. A wet scalp for 8 to 12 hours a day is no fun.

NightSister
May 22nd, 2018, 12:08 PM
I am so happy I stopped heat styling! Or not doing benign neglect really. I used to be so self conscious about my hair, styling it and refusing to leave the house before it was perfect, that kind of thing. Now that I accepted my texture I am out the house in 10 minutes, lol!

alimc
May 22nd, 2018, 01:56 PM
Brushing! I brushed my hair, thinking thats what i was MEANT to do...little did i know i was ruining my waves, damaging my ends and causing a nasty messy floof....!

(I also don’t miss hairdressers (haven’t cut for 2 years), box dye, straightening.....i’m a different woman ;))

shaluwm_agape
May 22nd, 2018, 02:28 PM
Brushing! I brushed my hair, thinking thats what i was MEANT to do...little did i know i was ruining my waves, damaging my ends and causing a nasty messy floof....!

(I also don’t miss hairdressers (haven’t cut for 2 years), box dye, straightening.....i’m a different woman ;))

Hahaha i'm the same way. I gave away all my heat tools 4 yrs ago( all except the hairdryer because ot can get really cold in nyc in the winter). I have not been to a salon inover a yr and dont miss it & officially stopped dying july of last year. Before that i dyed it 3 yrs prior

C_Bookworm
May 22nd, 2018, 03:24 PM
Hairdressers. I always felt like I was playing Russian roulette...was I going to end up with what I asked for or something completely different? Now that I’m growing layers out, DH or my mom can cut me a nice straight line, and I know they’ll only cut the amount I specify. The funny thing is, I’ve taken off 9 inches in the last 6 months (half in November and half in February), but it’s been in my terms, which made all the difference.

Nice to be able to enjoy haircuts instead of stress about them!

cathair
May 22nd, 2018, 03:39 PM
My bathroom and my hair dye are the same colour, because I like the colour so much :rollin: I don't mind when it stains the white bits. It doesn't last and it's just more of the colour I like.

I don't miss scalp dye though. When I used to dye all my hair my scalp used to get coloured too. I hated that. Looks ridiculous. Doesn't really happen anymore because I only brush it onto some sections carefully, instead of plopping it on my whole head.

I don't miss the time it used to take me to straighten my hair either.

alimc
May 23rd, 2018, 05:17 AM
Hahaha i'm the same way. I gave away all my heat tools 4 yrs ago( all except the hairdryer because ot can get really cold in nyc in the winter). I have not been to a salon inover a yr and dont miss it & officially stopped dying july of last year. Before that i dyed it 3 yrs prior

YES! My hairdryer is saved for our chilly Scottish winters too... apart from that LHC has completely simplified my haircare, and i love it :o

And i only noticed how much boxdye was damaging my hair when i stopped using it, the ends of my hair are dry and bleached and I didn’t even colour it that often... (great for taking deposit only colours, but not great for condition of ends!) :shocked:

Kake
May 23rd, 2018, 06:05 AM
My bathroom and my hair dye are the same colour, because I like the colour so much :rollin: I don't mind when it stains the white bits. It doesn't last and it's just more of the colour I like.

I don't miss scalp dye though. When I used to dye all my hair my scalp used to get coloured too. I hated that. Looks ridiculous. Doesn't really happen anymore because I only brush it onto some sections carefully, instead of plopping it on my whole head.

I don't miss the time it used to take me to straighten my hair either.

That's brilliant.

MoonRabbit
May 23rd, 2018, 10:32 AM
I don't miss needing to style my hair everyday.

Though I do still miss using heat. Sometimes I would like to have straight hair or pretty frizz free waves/curls.