PDA

View Full Version : Hello! Hair typing help please

Glamagrrl78
May 19th, 2018, 12:54 PM
Hi my name is Julia and I’ve been lurking for the last couple of weeks around the forum.
I think I’m a 1a/f/ii but I thought I’d post some pics to see what you all think.
This is after a coconut/mo/amla overnight treatment, wash and condition with garnier whole blends camellia
then I put it in a t shirt turban for about 15 mins before letting it air dry for most of the day.
i was careful to not finger comb or de tangle or do anything to it even after taking it out of the t shirt
I’m pretty sure any bend is just where it hits my shoulder, but you can let me know
my hair has been every length from 1” to somewhere between shoulder and APL. Right now I am growing it out from an inverted bob, so it’s a few inches shorter in the back. Right now my goal is bsl, which is quite a goal for me, so we will see if I can do it. I am a nurse, so wear my hair up pretty much every day. My go to styles usually involve dividing my hair with a side part, either I’m teo Dutch braids, two ponytails, or two buns. I’m excited to have found the lhc, and look forward to a new hair routine! I love beauty products, but most of my life, I haven’t bothered too much with my hair aside from getting a few highlights. Often, I would just use body wash to wash it and not even bother with conditioner, since I only wash it once a week, and it can get oily. Anyway, here are my pics!https://forums.longhaircommunity.com/webkit-fake-url://76d257b5-0270-44cb-a07f-4972163b95e5/imagejpeghttps://forums.longhaircommunity.com/webkit-fake-url://0d2ae8df-c571-45e8-9e71-4f670118956b/imagejpeghttps://forums.longhaircommunity.com/webkit-fake-url://f93b7f18-f3d1-473a-bb95-b5ac6235b810/imagejpeghttps://forums.longhaircommunity.com/webkit-fake-url://834de7d3-7814-4f45-82e3-6866c08e3a00/imagejpeg

Glamagrrl78
May 19th, 2018, 12:59 PM
https://photos.app.goo.gl/D1phYvy07SDDr9jw2
https://photos.app.goo.gl/OFTLstL3FN5CJQig2

Glamagrrl78
May 19th, 2018, 01:00 PM
file:///Users/seanrichardson/Downloads/IMG_1050.JPG
file:///Users/seanrichardson/Downloads/IMG_1051.JPG

Glamagrrl78
May 19th, 2018, 01:01 PM
Well, that's disappointing. Apparently, I have no idea how to post pics. Sorry for wasting the thread space :(

blushy
May 19th, 2018, 01:04 PM
Well, that's disappointing. Apparently, I have no idea how to post pics. Sorry for wasting the thread space :(

try uploading to imgur and posting the link here! That has worked for me in the past :o also welcome to LHC! ♡♡

Aredhel
May 19th, 2018, 01:08 PM
As blushy suggested, you can start an account on https://imgur.com/ and upload/save photos there, or if you want to upload pics quickly without needing to create an account, I used to use http://tinypic.com/ for years. Once you upload your photo on either platform, find the image link that looks like insertlinkhere, and you can just copy+paste it onto this thread. :)

Glamagrrl78
May 19th, 2018, 01:24 PM
https://imgur.com/neCSoed
https://imgur.com/NigKklC

Glamagrrl78
May 19th, 2018, 01:26 PM
https://imgur.com/neCSoed
https://imgur.com/NigKklC

It's just showing up as a blank screen. Do I not have permission to post pictures because I'm new?

Glamagrrl78
May 19th, 2018, 01:27 PM
https://i.imgur.com/NigKklC.jpg
https://i.imgur.com/neCSoed.jpg

Aredhel
May 19th, 2018, 01:28 PM
https://imgur.com/neCSoed.jpg
https://imgur.com/NigKklC.jpg

Fixed! Image links need to end with an extension (ex., .jpg, .gif, .png, etc.) :)

Glamagrrl78
May 19th, 2018, 01:29 PM
oh thanks so much!

lapushka
May 19th, 2018, 01:58 PM
Looks a bit 1a/b to me. Not quite smooth enough for 1a, I don't think. It has a tiny bit of "bend" to it.

Wendyp
May 19th, 2018, 02:21 PM
1a/b. As to f or m, if you can feel and see a single strand in your fingers it’s not fine. Thats the way I understand it. Mine feel like a piece of thread between my fingers.

Aredhel
May 19th, 2018, 02:24 PM
oh thanks so much!
You're welcome! :D

Also, I agree with the 1a/1b assessment as well; your hair seems to have a natural body wave to it (the flicked ends especially), but it looks rather straight otherwise. 1a would have to be pin-straight all over, including the ends... no volume or wave whatsoever. :)

lithostoic
May 19th, 2018, 02:24 PM
1b and probably medium strands. They remind me of my own

Lady Stardust
May 19th, 2018, 02:31 PM
I wonder if putting your hair in a towel turban for a while will have affected it? I would say 1b on those pictures, but I think there might be more wave in here’s judging by the way it’s sitting at the back.

The oiling beforehand might have weighed it down a bit. It might be interesting, if you ever wash it without oiling beforehand, to try hair typing again, and just blot it dry gently rather than putting it up in the towel. I think some more wave might be lurking in there. But, your hair looks lovely as it is!

Glitch
May 19th, 2018, 03:17 PM
Hmm, I see a slight body wave. I'd say 1a/b, from what I can see! Very pretty :o

cathair
May 19th, 2018, 04:54 PM
To get a true hair typing picture, you need to wash with shampoo only, preferably clarifying shampoo. Don't condition or use any treatments, then let it air dry without touching it. You can pat it with a towel to get most of the moisture out, but not do too much more.

Any more treatment or manipulation can pull any wave you have out of your hair so you won't see it.

It's not incredibly pleasant to dry your hair that way, but once the picture is taken you can hop right back in the shower and condition then dry as usual. It's only something you need to do once :)

lucid
May 19th, 2018, 07:31 PM
1a is stick straight with no waves, and you have both flippy ends and body wave, as well as overall volume usually not present with 1a, so I'd go with 1b. Can those of you that have said 1a/1b explain why it's not just 1b to you guys? :)

From the guide:
1b - straight but with a slight body wave, just enough to add some volume, doesn't look wavy.

This type seems to fit your hair perfect!
Gorgeous hair btw, and I won't be surprised if your hair turnes out to be even more wavy with added length :)

Wendyp
May 19th, 2018, 07:39 PM
I said 1a/b because I see characteristics of both. The front strands are straight and the back has a slight wave.

Spikey
May 19th, 2018, 07:49 PM
I'd agree with everyone else, looks like 1a/1b to me, but we'd need to see a true hairtyping picture to know for sure (no conditioner or turban). As you grow out damage and get more length you might start to see more wave too. As for strand thickness, looks to be M to me, and it's too inaccurate to guess overall thickness from a picture so whatever your measurement was is probably right.

Pretty hair though, and welcome to the forum!

GrowlingCupcake
May 19th, 2018, 08:34 PM
Looks like a 1b to me.

To get a true hair typing picture, you need to wash with shampoo only, preferably clarifying shampoo. Don't condition or use any treatments, then let it air dry without touching it. You can pat it with a towel to get most of the moisture out, but not do too much more.

Any more treatment or manipulation can pull any wave you have out of your hair so you won't see it.

It's not incredibly pleasant to dry your hair that way, but once the picture is taken you can hop right back in the shower and condition then dry as usual. It's only something you need to do once :)

I thought you could just wash your hair normally? Maybe I need to retype mine.

Lady Stardust
May 20th, 2018, 01:41 AM
Looks like a 1b to me.

Yes according to the hairtyping thread you can use conditioner. Heavy conditioner might affect the results though.

lucid
May 20th, 2018, 06:12 AM
I said 1a/b because I see characteristics of both. The front strands are straight and the back has a slight wave.

But isn't that just the definition of 1b hair?
All the 1's are still (mostly) straigth, just not stick straight as 1a.

I think the volume part is important to take notice of as well, cause even the straighter front part of the hair is voluminous compared to my 1a hair at least, and it does not appear to be stick straigh in the front either.

Overall, 1b hair does not appear wavy, so hair that is pretty straight at the front, slightly wavy at the back, and has volume all over, that does fit the 1b type perfectly in my opinion.

From the guide:

1a - stick straight
1b - straight but with a slight body wave, just enough to add some volume, doesn't look wavy
1c - straight with body wave and one or two visible S-waves (e.g. nape of neck or temples)

MusicalSpoons
May 20th, 2018, 07:19 AM
I don't think the front hair is stick straight, plus your hair has some volume/body so I'd say a solid 1b :)

ETA: just remembered you said you did an oil treatment before washing; that may have affected it, but probably not drastically so. Also, you may wish to do another hairtyping photo as you gain more length to see if any clandestine wave shows itself :grin:

[Re: 1s hairtyping - as far as I understand, 1a hair is so straight it generally looks like it's been straightened with heat when it actually hasn't been touched. OP's hair doesn't look like that anywhere.]

Wendyp
May 20th, 2018, 08:28 AM
But isn't that just the definition of 1b hair?
All the 1's are still (mostly) straigth, just not stick straight as 1a.

I think the volume part is important to take notice of as well, cause even the straighter front part of the hair is voluminous compared to my 1a hair at least.

Overall, 1b hair does not appear wavy, so hair that is straight at the front, slightly wavy at the back, and has volume all over, doesn't that fit the 1b type perfectly?

From the guide:

1a - stick straight
1b - straight but with a slight body wave, just enough to add some volume, doesn't look wavy
1c - straight with body wave and one or two visible S-waves (e.g. nape of neck or temples)

So the way I look at it, and I could be totally wrong, this hair typing thing seems elusive, but In 1b all the strands would have body. In a 1a/ scenario some stands are stick straight and others have that body to it, like almost breaking into a wave but then deciding not to. That’s my take on this whole combo thing. :shrug:

lucid
May 20th, 2018, 08:29 AM
That's my understanding as well, MusicalSpoons, so I don't get why so many seems to think 1a/1b.

lucid
May 20th, 2018, 08:33 AM
So the way I look at it, and I could be totally wrong, this hair typing thing seems elusive, but In 1b all the strands would not have any body. In a 1a/ scenario some stands are stick straight and others have that body to it, like almost breaking into a wave but then deciding not to. That’s my take on this whole combo thing. :shrug:

I just edited my answer over to make it clearer, but I think this is where we differ in what we see: I don't see stick straight hair at the front, I see straight hair with volume and body. So the front hair also fit 1b in my opinion, at least considering the definitions :)

MusicalSpoons
May 20th, 2018, 08:49 AM
So the way I look at it, and I could be totally wrong, this hair typing thing seems elusive, but In 1b all the strands would not have any body. In a 1a/ scenario some stands are stick straight and others have that body to it, like almost breaking into a wave but then deciding not to. That’s my take on this whole combo thing. :shrug:

1b the hair does have body :) (reply was to post with typo)

• 1a - stick straight
• 1b - straight but with a slight body wave, just enough to add some volume, doesn't look wavy
• 1c - straight with body wave and one or two visible S-waves (e.g. nape of neck or temples)

1b has body, but is still basically straight. Not waves, but body. 1a doesn't; it pretty much hangs like a shiny, silky sheet. Solid 1a is quite distinctive.
In my own, less-informed/less-experienced opinion, a combination would have some parts 1a, some parts 1b, or straight with a tiny bit of volume but still hanging as one sheet, no other real 1b characteristics. I think :hmm:

Wendyp
May 20th, 2018, 09:45 AM
1b the hair does have body :)

1b has body, but is still basically straight. Not waves, but body. 1a doesn't; it pretty much hangs like a shiny, silky sheet. Solid 1a is quite distinctive.
In my own, less-informed/less-experienced opinion, a combination would have some parts 1a, some parts 1b, or straight with a tiny bit of volume but still hanging as one sheet, no other real 1b characteristics. I think :hmm:

Uggg that’s a typo I meant all the strands would have body..I’ll fix it. I didn’t have enough coffee yet lol

Wendyp
May 20th, 2018, 09:46 AM
[QUOTE=Wendyp;3549747]So the way I look at it, and I could be totally wrong, this hair typing thing seems elusive, but In 1b all the strands would have body. In a 1a/ scenario some stands are stick straight and others have that body to it, like almost breaking into a wave but then deciding not to. That’s my take on this whole combo thing. :shrug:

Update: I corrected it I meant 1b all the strands have body. Note to self no typing until you have enough coffee ☕️

MusicalSpoons
May 20th, 2018, 10:29 AM
[QUOTE=Wendyp;3549747]So the way I look at it, and I could be totally wrong, this hair typing thing seems elusive, but In 1b all the strands would have body. In a 1a/ scenario some stands are stick straight and others have that body to it, like almost breaking into a wave but then deciding not to. That’s my take on this whole combo thing. :shrug:

Update: I corrected it I meant 1b all the strands have body. Note to self no typing until you have enough coffee ☕️

Aww, hehe - so easily done! I think I'll edit my post, in that case :)

draysmir
May 20th, 2018, 10:29 AM
I would agree with the 1b. :) The back of your hair flicks up around the shoulders, and the side view picture shows your bangs and face framing layers having a slight "wave" (although I understand people see it as very straight from their view). The tips look quite straight, but around your face I can see a bit of body. Your hair doesn't look wavy, but it looks flicky and not uniform enough to be 1a. I see 1a as the most straight you can get, like pin straight, but I think your hair has too much body for 1a.

I think you may look more properly 1b-ish once your hair grows a bit longer. There will be more length to see any possible slight loose waves you may have in your hair.

Wendyp
May 20th, 2018, 10:31 AM
A
[QUOTE=Wendyp;3549772]

Aww, hehe - so easily done! I think I'll edit my post, in that case :)

But I’m looking at it again maybe I see some clandestine waves in the front so maybe it is 1b. I’m not sure if it’s 1b or 1a with at least medium strands.

MusicalSpoons
May 20th, 2018, 10:33 AM
A[QUOTE=MusicalSpoons;3549787]

But I’m looking at it again maybe I see some clandestine waves in the front so maybe it is 1b. I’m not sure if it’s 1b or 1a with at least medium strands.

Yeah, I agree the front is still 1b. 1a even with coarse strands is still distinctive :)

ravenskey
May 20th, 2018, 11:00 AM
I would say you're a solid 1b from the above pics - I don't know why some people have put 1a, I used to have 1a hair when I was little and yours has way too much body and volume.

Lady Stardust
May 20th, 2018, 11:17 AM
That's my understanding as well, MusicalSpoons, so I don't get why so many seems to think 1a/1b.

I agree. I don’t think I’ve ever seen anyone with 1a/b hair (despite thinking that was my hair type until a couple of weeks ago!). It would have to have 1a sections and 1b sections and that must be pretty rare. 1a is completely devoid of curl, so any hint of volume or wave is 1b or wavier. I think there’s a general expectation that 1b looks wavier, or wavy at all. It looks straight. It’s obvious if it’s compared to 1a hair.

lapushka
May 20th, 2018, 04:54 PM
So the way I look at it, and I could be totally wrong, this hair typing thing seems elusive, but In 1b all the strands would have body. In a 1a/ scenario some stands are stick straight and others have that body to it, like almost breaking into a wave but then deciding not to. That’s my take on this whole combo thing. :shrug:

No not all strands need the waves, or it would be 2a. 1b is a slight body wave.

I still stand behind 1a/b, though since there is not much of a "body wave" (within the texture of the hair, not just the ends), which 1b would need to have.

Wendyp
May 20th, 2018, 05:11 PM
No not all strands need the waves, or it would be 2a. 1b is a slight body wave.

I still stand behind 1a/b, though since there is not much of a "body wave" (within the texture of the hair, not just the ends), which 1b would need to have.

Yeah I agree I said all strands would have to have body (not waves). I do see a couple strand there that were straight but the debate I guess was whether those strands were straight or they had body. I saw them as straight as you do hence I said 1a/b. But I guess it’s going to depend on what her hair does as she goes through growing it out. The debate has been very interesting though getting everyone’s opinions.

lucid
May 20th, 2018, 06:30 PM
I agree. I don’t think I’ve ever seen anyone with 1a/b hair (despite thinking that was my hair type until a couple of weeks ago!). It would have to have 1a sections and 1b sections and that must be pretty rare. 1a is completely devoid of curl, so any hint of volume or wave is 1b or wavier. I think there’s a general expectation that 1b looks wavier, or wavy at all. It looks straight. It’s obvious if it’s compared to 1a hair.

Yes, exactly, 1b is straight hair, just not stick straight. It's probably easy for me to see as I have stick straigh hair, and I could only dream of having that volume - it does look great!! As I've said before, the front hair is straight, but it still has body and volume, it's not at all stick straight.

I'm also curious to see if her hair will become even more wavy as the length increases. The hair may not be long enough for the full texture to come out.

Lady Stardust
May 21st, 2018, 02:36 AM
Yes, exactly, 1b is straight hair, just not stick straight. It's probably easy for me to see as I have stick straigh hair, and I could only dream of having that volume - it does look great!! As I've said before, the front hair is straight, but it still has body and volume, it's not at all stick straight.

I'm also curious to see if her hair will become even more wavy as the length increases. The hair may not be long enough for the full texture to come out.

1a hair is really striking! I think it’s easier to tell the difference between 1a and 1b in person. Also, a lot of us have always thought that because our hair was straight it must therefore lack volume, and we find it hard to believe it can have any “body”. Especially if your formative years included the 1980s, like me :-)

I’m sure there’s more wave waiting to come out in OP’s hair. The back is starting to turn over, which is exactly what my hair does if it’s heavily conditioned. Clandestine waves ahoy.

MidnightMoon
May 21st, 2018, 02:51 AM
Don't know if I'm late, but I'd say 1b. I picture 1a to be perfectly straight, no bending or waves whatsoever.

cathair
May 22nd, 2018, 02:56 PM
Looks like a 1b to me.

I could have sworn it was with no conditioner, I think the rules have become diluted over time? Conditioner will take mine from a 2b/2c to about a 1c. I can get it back to 2b with conditioner by scrunching, but that's cheating for a hair typing pic! :)

Lady Stardust
May 22nd, 2018, 03:13 PM
I could have sworn it was with no conditioner, I think the rules have become diluted over time? Conditioner will take mine from a 2b/2c to about a 1c. I can get it back to 2b with conditioner by scrunching, but that's cheating for a hair typing pic! :)

I think advice used to be no conditioner, but this hair typing thread says wash your hair how you would usually do, not even any need to clarify. I clarify for hair typing though because my hair gets build up fairly easily.
https://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=116252

Luckily there are no hair typing police :-) I think it’s all good as long as you get an understanding of what your hair does when given freedom!

cathair
May 22nd, 2018, 03:18 PM
I think advice used to be no conditioner, but this hair typing thread says wash your hair how you would usually do, not even any need to clarify. I clarify for hair typing though because my hair gets build up fairly easily.
https://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=116252

Luckily there are no hair typing police :-) I think it’s all good as long as you get an understanding of what your hair does when given freedom!

Perhaps I got mixed up somewhere along the way when I was learning about curly hair? I guess it makes sense to type what you normally have.

Very true :) A hard thing it would be to police too, it's not an exact science.

MidnightMoon
May 22nd, 2018, 10:59 PM
I add myself to the list of people who thought it had to be no conditioner :p
I haven't done that in years, though, since washing and drying already is such a hassle... can't be bothered to spend a day waiting for it to dry all frizzy and knotty and then wash again :lol: