PDA

View Full Version : ROO(Rinse out oil) method for Fine, 1a/1b hair?

Careeredcrunchi
May 18th, 2018, 06:29 PM
Hello everyone!

Newbie here, second thread. Was talking about light oiling hair after washing in a post about lint causing damage, and was recommended the ROO method. Just wanted to get some further details about this method on 1a/1b F/M hair.

Has anyone tried this on their hair in this type range?

What oils did you use?

How much oil do you use?

What changes did you notice or like/dislike about this method?

Does anyone know if a shampoo/conditioner that contains protein will affect the ROO method?

Oils are still a very confusing subject to me and I've read a lot of posts here on LHC regarding them. I'm thinking I will just have to figure out which oil my hair likes, but wanted to see what experience others had too.

Thank you all!

lithostoic
May 18th, 2018, 06:32 PM
Great question, I've been considering it myself! Waiting for replies.

Zesty
May 18th, 2018, 07:06 PM
I haven't typed myself as exactly in your range, but my hair errs on the fine side (and is by no means thick in overall volume) and behaves as 1b these days... I've used mineral oil and almond oil in the ROO method very successfully. I use about a dime sized amount on my TBL+ hair.

I don't think protein will affect the method.

Just experiment and see what works. :) Worst case scenarios: (a) it doesn't make a difference, in which case you haven't hurt anything or (b) it makes your hair look kinda greasy until you wash again. :shrug: *OR* it could make your hair super moisturized and silky! Everything to gain.

Larki
May 18th, 2018, 08:27 PM
My hair is fine and 1c. I use it when I wash (Sundays). My hair seems to only look better and better with moisture, I do WCC, ROO, LOC, deep conditioning and I oil almost daily. All this has done wonders for my hair's durability, dramatically reduced splits. I use coconut oil for ROO, about a dime size clump on my length from shoulders down. I don't think the conditioner type would matter, at least it doesn't for me, but YMMV.

MusicalSpoons
May 19th, 2018, 12:19 PM
Mine is 1b, more M than F. I use mineral oil (regular old baby oil) or sweet almond oil, roughly a little 'puddle' in my palm, from shoulders down (currently my hair is mid-thigh). Changes I noticed are that my hair feels smoother, is so much easier to detangle, and it keeps feeling smooth the whole time between full washes (on average, a week). I don't use protein so I don't know whether that would affect it at all.

lapushka
May 19th, 2018, 02:20 PM
Has anyone tried this on their hair in this type range?

What oils did you use?

How much oil do you use?

What changes did you notice or like/dislike about this method?

Does anyone know if a shampoo/conditioner that contains protein will affect the ROO method?

Oils are still a very confusing subject to me and I've read a lot of posts here on LHC regarding them. I'm thinking I will just have to figure out which oil my hair likes, but wanted to see what experience others had too.

Thank you all!

I think texture doesn't much matter for this method, but only in the sense that you need less oil the straighter you are. I am a 2 and use 10 drops of baby oil. So a straightie might be fine with just 4 drops. You will have to experiment.

Start slow, with just a few drops.

Decant your oils into a dropper bottle if you can!

Also try the ROO thread in my signature for good tips, best to read through it if you can!