PDA

View Full Version : Hair typing advice please

Lady Stardust
May 18th, 2018, 06:52 AM
Hello all

I’ve always thought I had straight hair that just misbehaved, but then realised there’s some sort of wave hiding in there.

Here are two hair typing photos - I clarified and conditioned, blotted carefully, no finger combing or other brushing/combing.

https://forums.longhaircommunity.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=31714&d=1526646401

I look like I’ve been dragged through a hedge backwards. My canopy is straighter than the underlayer, which brings me to a photo of the underneath.

https://forums.longhaircommunity.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=31713&d=1526646284

Sorry they’re not great pics. It’s quite hard getting anything to show because my hair is dark. The waves in the underlayer have stretched out as they dried, a couple were like a stretched out phone cord when they were 80% dry.

I’d love to hear your opinions!

Thanks

NikitaJane
May 18th, 2018, 07:15 AM
I can't see any photos :(

Lady Stardust
May 18th, 2018, 07:20 AM
I can't see any photos :(

Oh no! They’re showing for me but maybe only me? Here’s a link to my album with the hair typing photos in.

https://forums.longhaircommunity.com/album.php?albumid=13508

lapushka
May 18th, 2018, 07:25 AM
This appears to be a bad link. Is your album set to invisible/private, maybe?

Could you upload them to an imagehost and then link them, perhaps?

Lady Stardust
May 18th, 2018, 07:38 AM
I thought the privacy settings were ok but they were being overridden by somewhere else - hopefully sorted now.

Does the link work now? If not I’ll register with somewhere....

https://forums.longhaircommunity.com/album.php?albumid=13508

MidnightMoon
May 18th, 2018, 07:52 AM
I'd say 1c. What's harder for me when "hair typing" is that shorter hair, such as yours, which might have some waves, at its current length shows one or two waves at most, while long hair, say, hip length, or longer, will have more waves appearing, thus complying to the idea of "hair with more than one wave". However, by looking at your ends, I would guess it will maintain this pattern, only influenced at longer lengths by the weight.

lapushka
May 18th, 2018, 08:00 AM
I would go with 1b or at most 1b/c. It's not quite 1c to me, as in the first pic a part of it is fairly straight.

Milady_DeWinter
May 18th, 2018, 08:03 AM
I'd say that you have a mix of 1b and 1c :) I myself am a mix of 2b, 2c and 3a!

Stray_mind
May 18th, 2018, 08:10 AM
I'd say 1c or even 1c/2a as you seem to have an S wave here and there, along with your body wave. I think it will become more clear when yout hair gets longer

Lady Stardust
May 18th, 2018, 08:31 AM
Thank your everyone for replying.

I'd say 1c. What's harder for me when "hair typing" is that shorter hair, such as yours, which might have some waves, at its current length shows one or two waves at most, while long hair, say, hip length, or longer, will have more waves appearing, thus complying to the idea of "hair with more than one wave". However, by looking at your ends, I would guess it will maintain this pattern, only influenced at longer lengths by the weight.

Yes I’m interested to see what it does as it gets longer, I really don’t know whether more wave will show or at what point it will disappear.

I would go with 1b or at most 1b/c. It's not quite 1c to me, as in the first pic a part of it is fairly straight.

It’s that straight top layer that has been confusing me all my life!

I'd say that you have a mix of 1b and 1c :) I myself am a mix of 2b, 2c and 3a!

Yes I think I’m leaning towards 1b/1c.

I'd say 1c or even 1c/2a as you seem to have an S wave here and there, along with your body wave. I think it will become more clear when yout hair gets longer

I agree that length will help to show what’s going on. I think even the odd S wave counts as 1c if they’re not throughout the hair, but it is certainly interesting to see them!

lapushka
May 18th, 2018, 08:33 AM

2a has more of a "each strand of hair has its own wave" thing. And in the first picture a part of it is fairly straight.

I guess we'll have to see with added length. :)

Lady Stardust
May 18th, 2018, 08:56 AM
2a has more of a "each strand of hair has its own wave" thing. And in the first picture a part of it is fairly straight.

I guess we'll have to see with added length. :)

I’ve always loved hair, of all types and lengths, but I had no idea that growing hair could be so interesting! I’m so excited to see what happens.

I guess I’ll have choices now then, to brush it out straight or to play up the waves, if they’re strong enough. I think the canopy might be too straight so maybe a half up is the best idea if I want to see waves? I know they’re not “wavy” in the way that most people think of waves, but it’s a big difference when you’re used to having very straight but misbehaved hair! It’s great to have versatility.

This is going to sound totally soppy....my Mum had wavy hair. It was about classic length when she was young but I only knew her with short hair, until she got older. She didn’t want to cut her hair when she developed dementia so it grew to about BSL or longer, and had very strong 1c waves. Beautiful. I always thought I had stick straight hair, because the wave in Mum’s hair was so strong. Even though the wave in mine isn’t so strong, it’s the same pattern. Mum died a few years ago and the idea that I have found a new connection to her is very welcome and quite overwhelming.

CopperButterfly
May 18th, 2018, 08:58 AM
Yours looks a lot like mine and I call it 1c. I think with those few s waves it puts you a bit beyond 1b, but there's not enough to put it to 2a.

pili
May 18th, 2018, 09:01 AM
Lady Stardust, so sorry about your mom. It's nice to see you have a connection to her through your hair journey.

Lady Stardust
May 18th, 2018, 09:39 AM
Yours looks a lot like mine and I call it 1c. I think with those few s waves it puts you a bit beyond 1b, but there's not enough to put it to 2a.

That’s interesting, thanks! I’ll be interested to see how the canopy behaves as it gets longer.

Lady Stardust, so sorry about your mom. It's nice to see you have a connection to her through your hair journey.

Thank you, very kind of you to say so x

Glitch
May 18th, 2018, 06:03 PM

Some of the wave pattern does seem to be starting a lot higher up in the hair. Hmm. I'm leaning towards 1c but I think more time is needed. As the hair grows out with continuous care, it'll be a lot more evident :o

I’ve always loved hair, of all types and lengths, but I had no idea that growing hair could be so interesting! I’m so excited to see what happens.

I guess I’ll have choices now then, to brush it out straight or to play up the waves, if they’re strong enough. I think the canopy might be too straight so maybe a half up is the best idea if I want to see waves? I know they’re not “wavy” in the way that most people think of waves, but it’s a big difference when you’re used to having very straight but misbehaved hair! It’s great to have versatility.

This is going to sound totally soppy....my Mum had wavy hair. It was about classic length when she was young but I only knew her with short hair, until she got older. She didn’t want to cut her hair when she developed dementia so it grew to about BSL or longer, and had very strong 1c waves. Beautiful. I always thought I had stick straight hair, because the wave in Mum’s hair was so strong. Even though the wave in mine isn’t so strong, it’s the same pattern. Mum died a few years ago and the idea that I have found a new connection to her is very welcome and quite overwhelming.

Not soppy at all! It's important and lovely to cherish the good people in our lives, past or present, it's always okay :heartbeat May she rest in peace <3

lithostoic
May 18th, 2018, 06:11 PM
I'll bet it's 1c, that's what my hair looked like at that length. If you take another photo once you reach APL then you'll have a better idea :)

Wendyp
May 18th, 2018, 06:47 PM
Hmmm the first pic looks 1b and the second looks 1c. so I guess if it’s ever 1c isn’t it always 1c? Under that theory I say 1c! see how I over analyze things :eyebrows:

Lady Stardust
May 19th, 2018, 01:50 AM
Some of the wave pattern does seem to be starting a lot higher up in the hair. Hmm. I'm leaning towards 1c but I think more time is needed. As the hair grows out with continuous care, it'll be a lot more evident :o

Not soppy at all! It's important and lovely to cherish the good people in our lives, past or present, it's always okay :heartbeat May she rest in peace <3

Thank you x

I'll bet it's 1c, that's what my hair looked like at that length. If you take another photo once you reach APL then you'll have a better idea :)

I’ll be very happy indeed if my hair looks like yours!

Hmmm the first pic looks 1b and the second looks 1c. so I guess if it’s ever 1c isn’t it always 1c? Under that theory I say 1c! see how I over analyze things :eyebrows:

Haha you think like me :-) That’s lawyers for you!! I think it’s a mix of types, straighter on top (1b) and roaming free underneath (1c). I can’t wait to see whether the canopy does anything different as it gets longer. I do get the occasional wave from the temples too but funnily enough that didn’t really happen yesterday.

Wendyp your hairtyping experiment the other day inspired me to see what happened with mine so I’m glad you dropped by! Isn’t it confusing though? I feel like I need to learn from scratch.

I’m going for a trim today and can’t wait to talk about it with my hairdresser. She’s always said my hair waves from the occipital bone down. I can see that my daughter’s hair does that, it was easy to tell when she only had 1-2 mm hair.

My hairdresser is one of those rare breeds, she’s great. Last time I saw her she asked what my hair did if I didn’t touch it.

NikitaJane
May 19th, 2018, 01:54 AM
I'd say 1b/c for now, and see what it does as it grows longer :)

lapushka
May 19th, 2018, 05:18 AM
It's very nice to hear about your mom; that you have that connection now to her. I hope it encourages you to grow longer. Good luck on your journey.

Wendyp
May 19th, 2018, 06:56 AM
Thank you x

Haha you think like me :-) That’s lawyers for you!! I think it’s a mix of types, straighter on top (1b) and roaming free underneath (1c). I can’t wait to see whether the canopy does anything different as it gets longer. I do get the occasional wave from the temples too but funnily enough that didn’t really happen yesterday.

Wendyp your hairtyping experiment the other day inspired me to see what happened with mine so I’m glad you dropped by! Isn’t it confusing though? I feel like I need to learn from scratch.

I’m going for a trim today and can’t wait to talk about it with my hairdresser. She’s always said my hair waves from the occipital bone down. I can see that my daughter’s hair does that, it was easy to tell when she only had 1-2 mm hair.

My hairdresser is one of those rare breeds, she’s great. Last time I saw her she asked what my hair did if I didn’t touch it.

Oh that word hairdresser makes me break out in a sweat :bigeyes: I started this forum with 1afii, now I’m 1cmii hair lol. I’m shooting for iii hair lol! :cheer: I think it’s utterly important to know your hair type. Wavy hair has different requirements than straight strands. super excited for you it’s going to be fun watching your progress! :cheer:

lithostoic
May 19th, 2018, 09:06 AM

You're too kind!