PDA

View Full Version : Trimming hair tips for dreads

dogyleo
May 17th, 2018, 02:14 PM
Hello everbody

I know that hair tips should be trimmed every now and then to keep the hair healthy, however, does this also apply to dreads?
Should i trim the ends of my dreads?
I want to shorten the length of my dreads, so any tips before i do that?

Thanks in advance :D

lapushka
May 17th, 2018, 03:57 PM
Hello everbody

I know that hair tips should be trimmed every now and then to keep the hair healthy, however, does this also apply to dreads?
Should i trim the ends of my dreads?
I want to shorten the length of my dreads, so any tips before i do that?

Thanks in advance :D

Just snip an equal amount off of every dread. Bind them all together into an elastic band, then take one out and snip, another one, snip, until you have removed them all from the elastic band. Voilà!

akurah
May 20th, 2018, 11:16 AM
I would recommend asking someone experienced in dreads specifically, or even checking google in case this is a common question. While there’s a few here I’m sure, most of us don’t have dreads. Cutting a dread might cause it to unravel just enough to be an annoyance and if it does you’ll need to know what to do to get it to re-dread.

Eta: the keyword to google is “trimming dreads”. “Cutting dreads” is about dreadlocks removal (as in, cutting them off)

lapushka
May 20th, 2018, 12:08 PM
Oooh I hadn't thought! I was clueless about them unraveling - sorry if that caused you grief, OP. I was just trying to help. But maybe I should not try and help if I don't know the subject matter totally. :o

NikitaJane
May 20th, 2018, 12:47 PM
I've had dreadlocks in the past, and while you can simply cut off the ends you risk compromising the structure of the dread and making the ends loose. If you are going to cut them I would recommend using a small crochet hook and palm rolling to seal up the ends afterwards.

But to answer your question, no, dreadlocks don't 'need' to be trimmed, only if you particularly want to alter the length.

AutobotsAttack
May 20th, 2018, 11:56 PM
You need tools to re-dread the ends.

Here’s an article from Dread Head that give instructions on trimming them up, and the supplies you need:
https://www.dreadheadhq.com/pages/can-you-cut-your-dreads-and-keep-them-short

lithostoic
May 21st, 2018, 08:01 AM
Nah you don't really need to. Can't get split ends if your ends are inside a dreadlock :P I didn't trim mine for the two years I had them. But if you want to trim them, just snip the ends. They'll look a bit silly at first but once you wet them they look normal again.