PDA

View Full Version : Wavy hair what the frizz??

Wendyp
May 17th, 2018, 10:07 AM
So now that I have discovered my natural hair has a wave to it I’m also realizing it’s slightly frizz prone which I’m now noticing. So is this common for wavy hair? If so how and what do you do to deal with your frizz? Any method or products you find work best?

HaMalka
May 17th, 2018, 10:15 AM
My hair frizzes. I deal with it primarily by ignoring the frizz and for the very few times I care about it not being frizzy I use a combination of water, hair gel, and hairspray depending on the style. I rarely use anything other than a little bit of water even though that doesn't usually completely deal with the frizz.

MoonRabbit
May 17th, 2018, 10:19 AM
I have frizzy wavy hair that hates oils and suffers from easy build up. So I just have to live with the frizz. I find that freshly washed and dry hair looks the worst. Next day hair isn't nearly as frizzy.

Plopping after a wash can also help combat frizz and define your waves.

AmaryllisRed
May 17th, 2018, 10:22 AM
I usually run my hands through my hair after I wash them. I dry them part way, then run them through my hair.
I also have used Garnier Wonder Waves. I just spray it on my hands and run it through. Works well and smells so good.

nycelle
May 17th, 2018, 10:24 AM
I despise frizz. Hate isn't even close to how I feel about it. Only thing that's really worked for me is Ouai Hair oil. It's my frizz HG. Very light, can apply multiple times and your hair won't get oily, but it controls frizz better than anything I've tried over the years (read hundreds of products.) BUT, it has silicones in it. Still, even though I've been silicone free for a couple of months now, I have a feeling I'n gonna go back to it this summer.

Joules
May 17th, 2018, 10:28 AM
I do nothing, frizz is a part of my hair, and I adore my hair, therefore I adore my frizz.

Relax and don't chase perfection, it doesn't exist.

Margarita
May 17th, 2018, 10:40 AM
My hair is wavy curly and im witnessing natural frizz. I care to moisturize enough my hair to not being so frizzy, if its still frizzy im twisting the frizzy strands, or i wet a bit that /these strand/s and then i apply some hair creme and scrunch =D
Remember to comb your hair with your fingers after shower to maintain your waves.

Groovy Granny
May 17th, 2018, 10:54 AM
Biosilk Serum on dry or damp ends, and what wee bit remains I run my hands over my canopy; I use the LITE version because my silver/white hair is fine/wispy.

Post wash I add some leave in conditioner, a few drops of oil, and a couple drops of serum.

I have new growth from crown to hemline and it curls.....so I will always have an elements of wispy 'frizz' ....so be it :shrug:

Bunning when damp or after applying serum helps too when there is high humidity and it tends to poof up.

As was mentioned above....learn to embrace your natural texture....perfection is nonexistent :flower:

nycelle
May 17th, 2018, 10:57 AM
Another thing that works (no idea why) is when your hair is almost dry, wrap it in a satin weave scarf, or put it up in a satin or silk cap. For whatever reason, it tames frizz beautifully.

Queerantine
May 17th, 2018, 11:12 AM
The only time I *don't* have frizz is when I pull my helmet off after riding my horse ( I ride with it tucked up in my helmet). But then I have to go home and shower the smell off sooooo....

I'm useless and also need help.

cjk
May 17th, 2018, 11:37 AM
First, stop trying to impose control over it. Fighting it's natural tendencies is always a losing proposition.

Second, there is a variation on curly girl that works well for wavy girls. It requires some experimentation to tweak it for your hair individually, but it's a great way to work with your hair instead of against it. I assume someone will chime in with a URL, but if not it'll be easy to find on google.

MusicalSpoons
May 17th, 2018, 02:29 PM
Not a wavy here as far as I can tell, but my hair frizzes So Very Much when it airdries down (like this! https://flic.kr/p/ZdTWLN ) I airdry it overnight which seems to help for some reason - it makes it easier to comb in the morning, rather than trying to comb through all the frizz. Though I also wear my hair up pretty much all the time so other than for combing, frizz doesn't bother me. I guess that's not overly helpful, but you're definitely not alone with the frizz! :grin:

lapushka
May 17th, 2018, 02:32 PM
I double condition after washing, in WCC (but be careful because in some it can weigh the hair down). You might want to try CWC washing and oh gosh, there's tons of options. I would try a nice serum on the very tips after your wash, on top of a tiiiny bit of leave-in a bit higher up.

Sarahlabyrinth
May 17th, 2018, 03:13 PM
I always have some amount of frizz - it goes with wavy hair. I use a little oil on my hair, but have learned not to worry about it. My hair lives in updos and it's not so noticeable then anyway. :)

Wendyp
May 17th, 2018, 04:41 PM
I love everyone’s answers! I guess trying to change my hair is what got me in trouble in the first place! I suppose frizz comes with the wave. I do love the idea of serums I don’t use them. I’m just getting to know my new slightly wavy frizz prone hair lol

Milady_DeWinter
May 17th, 2018, 04:42 PM
Lol - welcome to my frizzy world :p I think they just gave you good responses. I also like to mix the serum with a couple of drops of avocado oil to add shine!

Corvana
May 17th, 2018, 04:43 PM
So now that I have discovered my natural hair has a wave to it I’m also realizing it’s slightly frizz prone which I’m now noticing. So is this common for wavy hair? If so how and what do you do to deal with your frizz? Any method or products you find work best?

I generally assume my hair will have some frizz. Not the last two in my sig levels of frizz, that made my hair feel... I guess "rough" is a good term. It didn't feel nice until the next day because it was mad at me lol. It just felt like all of my canopy was always laying every which way so if I smoothed my hand down my hair it'd feel bumpy (due to having hairs here and there going perpendicular to the rest).

Now I just get a little bit, and IMO it just gives a soft look to my hair. If I smooth my hand down my hair now, they're all laying relatively similar, instead of being wild strand by strand. It's wild in groups, and there are still strands that match with groups but don't want to be in the clump.

SO! Depends on the frizz, really. If it's just my new normal frizz of hair that doesn't wanna be in the clumpies, then I ignore it. If it's the other kind, then I need more moisture REAL BAD.

blushy
May 17th, 2018, 04:46 PM
My hair is wavy and can get very frizzy!! I usually put a LOT of leave-in condition and maybe even a drop or 2 of oil and that does the trick, but if that isn't enough I use a heated hair brush on a very low setting and just brush out the really frizzy parts. I know most people on here are against heat styling, but it seems to be ok for my hair and can really tame the frizz!

Wendyp
May 17th, 2018, 04:46 PM
:stirpot:
The only time I *don't* have frizz is when I pull my helmet off after riding my horse ( I ride with it tucked up in my helmet). But then I have to go home and shower the smell off sooooo....

I'm useless and also need help.
Hahahaha that made me laught out loud! At least u wear a helmet I’m addicted to glam & grit hats like I am hair toys ..and horses :rollin:

Wendyp
May 17th, 2018, 04:49 PM
Lol - welcome to my frizzy world :p I think they just gave you good responses. I also like to mix the serum with a couple of drops of avocado oil to add shine!

So I guess the more curl the more frizz? I have never used serums so I’m going to try. honestly 5 months ago I thought I had baby fine poker straight hair lol I had been noticing a poofyness to my hair lately and had no idea what was going on lol

Wendyp
May 17th, 2018, 04:53 PM
And of course as always y’all are so helpful, I’ll try a bit of serum but otherwise embrace my newly found waves and frizz :toast:

Simsy
May 17th, 2018, 06:48 PM
Is the frizz new growth or old breakage? One needs moisture and time, the other needs babying and gentle handling.

In my case, frizz was full-blown curls trying to break free; it took a while to work out that I needed more moisture, and to stop treating my hair like it was straight.

Wendyp
May 17th, 2018, 07:43 PM
Is the frizz new growth or old breakage? One needs moisture and time, the other needs babying and gentle handling.

In my case, frizz was full-blown curls trying to break free; it took a while to work out that I needed more moisture, and to stop treating my hair like it was straight.

It’s the new growth, virgin hair cassia colored only. From shoulders down is straight and damaged so that has no curl. I think it’s exsctky what you said, since I had no idea my hair was wavy, and hair dressers all told me my hair was straight I treat it as such. I have been reading about wavy hair all night. The wave exposes the cuticle so it needs moisture. Wow my hair always needs moisture. I am learning how to treat my hair as wavy hair.

Dark40
May 17th, 2018, 08:04 PM
I also have frizzy hair. But what I do deal with it is I use Garnier Fructis Leave In Conditioning Cream, and that really works wonder for my hair! I also use some type of oil on the ends as well.

Glitch
May 17th, 2018, 09:10 PM
In my hair's natural state, I get rid of the frizz with a bit of argan oil and smoothing it through. I'm not using oils anymore, but don't get frizz anyway due to my styling routine. If there are any flyaways though, I let them be since I don't mind them, personally :) Regardless, those go away randomly with time. Anyway, a big yes to light oils to tame the frizz :D

cjk
May 17th, 2018, 09:56 PM
It’s the new growth, virgin hair cassia colored only. From shoulders down is straight and damaged so that has no curl. I think it’s exsctky what you said, since I had no idea my hair was wavy, and hair dressers all told me my hair was straight I treat it as such.

Wavy and curly hair have a lot in common, and a couple of differences as well. But let me give you something to think about.

Consider how wrong your stylist was about, well, everything. And consider that you're only just starting to discover that your hair even has a texture.

So why are you assuming that its final form will be wavy?

Start with a deep conditioning. Base it on curly girl, do a final cleansing wash followed by conditioner, sulfate and silicone free. It can actually be inexpensive, the v05 milk conditioner works great. And try cowashing for a few times.

It's entirely possible that you will be surprised at the results. Turns out my own gradual waves are actually ringlet curls.

Wendyp
May 18th, 2018, 06:06 AM
Wavy and curly hair have a lot in common, and a couple of differences as well. But let me give you something to think about.

Consider how wrong your stylist was about, well, everything. And consider that you're only just starting to discover that your hair even has a texture.

So why are you assuming that its final form will be wavy?

Start with a deep conditioning. Base it on curly girl, do a final cleansing wash followed by conditioner, sulfate and silicone free. It can actually be inexpensive, the v05 milk conditioner works great. And try cowashing for a few times.

It's entirely possible that you will be surprised at the results. Turns out my own gradual waves are actually ringlet curls.

I agree cjk. I thought spending globs of money on product and salons was the best I could do for my hair. I can’t beleive how wrong they are about everything. I really notice it the last month when I went in for an olaplex treatment. I went in stressed about my damaged hair (shoulders down). Everyone oooed abd ahhd over my hair because everyone including the hair dressers had fried hair. Your right I have no idea what my hair will truly be. I do a Cwwcc routine, sulfate free diluted shampoo (although I started Trader Joe’s tea tree tingle and Nizoral and I don’t dilute those), then loc.. But I’m going to try some curly products. What’s really interesting is my hair is always thirsty and it seems wavy/curly needs moisture and protein. I want to try ouidad. But another thing I discovered my hair loves is fermented rice water. I really hope I can coax some some wave too!!

cjk
May 18th, 2018, 09:44 AM
Your right I have no idea what my hair will truly be. I do a Cwwcc routine, sulfate free diluted shampoo (although I started Trader Joe’s tea tree tingle and Nizoral and I don’t dilute those), then loc.. But I’m going to try some curly products. What’s really interesting is my hair is always thirsty and it seems wavy/curly needs moisture and protein. I want to try ouidad. But another thing I discovered my hair loves is fermented rice water. I really hope I can coax some some wave too!!

Forget that coaxing nonsense. Your hair will do what your hair will do. My gut tells me that you're going to end up a curly. I don't have any specific reason to say that, except a gut feeling.

I'm going to keep an eye on your threads. This sort of self discovery is always fun.

Wendyp
May 18th, 2018, 10:05 AM
Forget that coaxing nonsense. Your hair will do what your hair will do. My gut tells me that you're going to end up a curly. I don't have any specific reason to say that, except a gut feeling.

I'm going to keep an eye on your threads. This sort of self discovery is always fun.

Your probably right! Lol this has been a lot of fun and I know it’s just the beginning. I’m enjoying watching your hair progress too. My hubby has beautiful mid back hair now it’s so pretty. I’ll post pics of it soon too :flowers:

hennalove
May 18th, 2018, 11:29 AM

There are several ways that I used that have pretty much eliminated frizz. Henna is king for frizz reduction but if you don't want the colour, cassia will also help reduce frizz but both will loosen curl patten if used on a regular basis. Oils - my preferance currently is jojoba, organ Jamican black castor oils but Marc Anthony has a really nice coconut/argan oil blend that works nicely too. I use a little oil daily for smoothing along with deeper oiling before washing my hair. A coconut milk/lime juice mask really helps to reduce frizz too and will also loosen curl pattern when used regularly. I started washing my hair with shikakai/aritha which seems to really help too. I use aloe vera as a conditioner after herbal washing too. It controls frizz and can be smoothed over dry hair to tame frizzes. One of the best shampoo/conditioner combinations that really works for me is Giovanni 2chic Brazilian Keration & Argan Oil Ultra Sleek. These are my favourites when not using natural herbs. Water hardness can also cause frizzing. At home, we have soft water but at our cottage it's hard water so hubby put a filter on the shower head. So far, it seems to be effective. HTH

ravenskey
May 18th, 2018, 11:42 AM
Nothing gets rid of frizz permanently, for me anyway, but using a huge amount of conditioner compared to shampoo, oiling twice daily, and using a comb rather than brush helps deal with it.

Wendyp
May 18th, 2018, 12:38 PM
Nothing gets rid of frizz permanently, for me anyway, but using a huge amount of conditioner compared to shampoo, oiling twice daily, and using a comb rather than brush helps deal with it.

That’s basically what I been doing as that’s the routine that works best and I didn’t even know my hair had any waves!

Rebeccalaurenxx
May 18th, 2018, 12:44 PM
I think LOC controls the frizz for me.

DweamGoiL
May 18th, 2018, 01:00 PM
I have a few techniques to avoid the frizzies when I care to:

1) In FL, a light coat of aloe vera gel works great as a styling tool to get them to lay flat when finishing your do

2) Not touching the hair (no brushing, combing, handling, etc.) while it's air-drying. After washing, a quick detangling and light coat of favorite oil and then leave it be

3) I used to damp bun when hair had partially dried and that works well for my hair in warm weather. It dries with body and smooth bun waves

4) I usually wash in the evening and pineapple as it finishes drying. In the morning, it's dry and no frizz. When it's particularly stubborn, I use a light coat of alcohol free hairspray. It's not as tacky and clumpy as regular hairspray. It's a very light hold, but it weighs the hair down a bit without the use of heavy cones. However, I say this as a person that has not used cones for well over a decade

I have learned to live by my hair's rules not my own. So first day, it's at its wavyest and therefore frizziest so I generally aloe it and leave it loose. It also is at its slippiest so I don't fight to keep it contained. 2nd - 4th day, it's smooth, sleek and more grabby so I put it up. Other than that, I don't sweat it :)

Joules
May 18th, 2018, 01:07 PM
It’s the new growth, virgin hair cassia colored only. From shoulders down is straight and damaged so that has no curl. I think it’s exsctky what you said, since I had no idea my hair was wavy, and hair dressers all told me my hair was straight I treat it as such. I have been reading about wavy hair all night. The wave exposes the cuticle so it needs moisture. Wow my hair always needs moisture. I am learning how to treat my hair as wavy hair.

From what I've learned over the past 8,5 years of intense hair care, hairdresses don't know a single thing about actual hair care and hair health. At least most of them are clueless, maybe there are rare gems out there who can give some solid advice. I remember all the bs my hairdresser used to tell me, it still annoys me to the point where I'm contemplating writing a post in the "what irritates you?" thread :D

Wendyp
May 18th, 2018, 03:35 PM
I think LOC controls the frizz for me.
I been doing the LOC thinking i had stick straight hair lol . no wonder my hair requires oil 2x a day lo;

I have a few techniques to avoid the frizzies when I care to:

1) In FL, a light coat of aloe vera gel works great as a styling tool to get them to lay flat when finishing your do

2) Not touching the hair (no brushing, combing, handling, etc.) while it's air-drying. After washing, a quick detangling and light coat of favorite oil and then leave it be

3) I used to damp bun when hair had partially dried and that works well for my hair in warm weather. It dries with body and smooth bun waves

4) I usually wash in the evening and pineapple as it finishes drying. In the morning, it's dry and no frizz. When it's particularly stubborn, I use a light coat of alcohol free hairspray. It's not as tacky and clumpy as regular hairspray. It's a very light hold, but it weighs the hair down a bit without the use of heavy cones. However, I say this as a person that has not used cones for well over a decade

I have learned to live by my hair's rules not my own. So first day, it's at its wavyest and therefore frizziest so I generally aloe it and leave it loose. It also is at its slippiest so I don't fight to keep it contained. 2nd - 4th day, it's smooth, sleek and more grabby so I put it up. Other than that, I don't sweat it :)
Awesome i will try aloe, and a leave in. I think im going to not fret about it. But today when i stepped outside I could feel it expand lol. Were getting into high humidity now though. You hair is very beautiful btw.

From what I've learned over the past 8,5 years of intense hair care, hairdresses don't know a single thing about actual hair care and hair health. At least most of them are clueless, maybe there are rare gems out there who can give some solid advice. I remember all the bs my hairdresser used to tell me, it still annoys me to the point where I'm contemplating writing a post in the "what irritates you?" thread :D

oh gurrrlll, im right there with you. I thought they knew everything, and my hair was just defective. The first few pics on my page are hair dresser only hair. I have a list a mile long on all the bad advice they gave me over the years.

Wendyp
May 18th, 2018, 03:39 PM
I used the Quidad frizz control line, they had sample sizes at ulta so i just wanted to try the line. Wow my hair just drank it up. I used a their moisture lock leave in per lapukas advise, I used about a buckle size and wow my hair loved it. Its full and conditioned and i feel like im not fighting against my hair for the first time in my life! Im feeling very 1b here, but i can see the waves. Cant wait till those damage ends are gone, but im super excited. Picture courtesy of Steak N Shake bathroom :rollin:

https://i.imgur.com/HDYrVST.jpg

Corvana
May 18th, 2018, 03:53 PM
I agree cjk. I thought spending globs of money on product and salons was the best I could do for my hair. I can’t beleive how wrong they are about everything. I really notice it the last month when I went in for an olaplex treatment. I went in stressed about my damaged hair (shoulders down). Everyone oooed abd ahhd over my hair because everyone including the hair dressers had fried hair. Your right I have no idea what my hair will truly be. I do a Cwwcc routine, sulfate free diluted shampoo (although I started Trader Joe’s tea tree tingle and Nizoral and I don’t dilute those), then loc.. But I’m going to try some curly products. What’s really interesting is my hair is always thirsty and it seems wavy/curly needs moisture and protein. I want to try ouidad. But another thing I discovered my hair loves is fermented rice water. I really hope I can coax some some wave too!!

It's taken me... several months (I wash weekly at max, every other week at min, so that rounds out to about 10-15 washes? From when I started) to get consistent waves that stick even if i don't use any products or diffuse or anything. I do always plop, though! I like it hehe.

So it will take a bit! Don't get discouraged! And of course, over time it can get more and more wavy or even curly. I do personally think that curls aren't super likely, just because they tend to be really persistent and all of the "my curly girl transformation!" type videos I've watched have shown women and men with 2a to 2b hair (and often they say "straight" when showing 2a!) at the beginning before really going all in with curly girl and ending with defined curls.

Of course, there could still totally be curls lurking! That limited pool of videos I've seen isn't everyone, and everyone's hair is different!

Wendyp
May 18th, 2018, 04:45 PM
It's taken me... several months (I wash weekly at max, every other week at min, so that rounds out to about 10-15 washes? From when I started) to get consistent waves that stick even if i don't use any products or diffuse or anything. I do always plop, though! I like it hehe.

So it will take a bit! Don't get discouraged! And of course, over time it can get more and more wavy or even curly. I do personally think that curls aren't super likely, just because they tend to be really persistent and all of the "my curly girl transformation!" type videos I've watched have shown women and men with 2a to 2b hair (and often they say "straight" when showing 2a!) at the beginning before really going all in with curly girl and ending with defined curls.

Of course, there could still totally be curls lurking! That limited pool of videos I've seen isn't everyone, and everyone's hair is different!

What the heck is plopping? I’ve heard a couple people mention it. I’m def not expecting tight curls really I think it would be a far leap, but then I never imagined in my wildest dreams that my hair would be wavy and I would be buying products for wavy hair :bigeyes:

lapushka
May 18th, 2018, 05:05 PM
What the heck is plopping? I’ve heard a couple people mention it. I’m def not expecting tight curls really I think it would be a far leap, but then I never imagined in my wildest dreams that my hair would be wavy and I would be buying products for wavy hair :bigeyes:

I don't buy products specific for wavy hair. I am on a budget. Shampoo = shampoo, and rinse-out conditioner is something you flush down the drain anyway. So no need to get expensive for those. I do spend more on my styling products, but that's about it.

Try searching YT, plopping is just hard to explain. LOL

Wendyp
May 18th, 2018, 05:32 PM
I don't buy products specific for wavy hair. I am on a budget. Shampoo = shampoo, and rinse-out conditioner is something you flush down the drain anyway. So no need to get expensive for those. I do spend more on my styling products, but that's about it.

Ok I’ll check it out! I agree, it’s all about ingredients I think, sulfates protein etc. I’ll likely stick with my Trader Joe’s tea tree it’s so cheap. I was experimenting test driving my new waves. I got that new car smell thing going on :rollin:
But I did really love the ouidad moisture lock. Not too pricey though I only used a little.

Joules
May 19th, 2018, 02:43 AM

I don't believe in special products for wavy and curly hair. There's nothing magical in them, they all follow the same principle: wavy and curly hair heed more moisture than straight hair.

So I just tend to gravitate towards stronger masks and gentler shampoos (or even co-washes), that's it. Everything to retain moisture.

Arciela
May 19th, 2018, 09:53 AM
For me the only thing that gets rid of the new growth frizz is sleeping in a silk sleeping cap over night. It's like a deep treatment for my hair or something lol. Also waiting a day let's the hair cuticle close so it "calms down" , second day hair for me has almost no frizz because of this :flower:

Wendyp
May 19th, 2018, 10:24 AM
I don't believe in special products for wavy and curly hair. There's nothing magical in them, they all follow the same principle: wavy and curly hair heed more moisture than straight hair.

So I just tend to gravitate towards stronger masks and gentler shampoos (or even co-washes), that's it. Everything to retain moisture.

Funny thing is I always wondered why my hair required so much moisture. My hair is so thirsty all the time. Now it all makes sense.

Wendyp
May 19th, 2018, 10:24 AM
For me the only thing that gets rid of the new growth frizz is sleeping in a silk sleeping cap over night. It's like a deep treatment for my hair or something lol. Also waiting a day let's the hair cuticle close so it "calms down" , second day hair for me has almost no frizz because of this :flower:

I’m really interested in trying the plopping see what that does.

nycelle
May 19th, 2018, 10:35 AM

My hair is exactly the same way. Silk sleep caps works wonders for frizz, and second day hair is much smoother.

lapushka
May 19th, 2018, 04:00 PM

Exactly. That is how I feel too, which is why I do WCC. I have to use a sulfate shampoo, so I compensate with moisture, and plenty of it!

Wendyp
May 19th, 2018, 07:10 PM
So I went to a horse barrel race tonite and I wore my hair down. I noticed my hair had a lot more waves when I got home because it’s super humid tonite. This whole wavy hair thing is a blast so far. I had no idea my hair had so much personality!
:inlove:

https://i.imgur.com/atYyQ7d.jpg

Lady Stardust
May 20th, 2018, 01:43 AM
So I went to a horse barrel race tonite and I wore my hair down. I noticed my hair had a lot more waves when I got home because it’s super humid tonite. This whole wavy hair thing is a blast so far. I had no idea my hair had so much personality!
:inlove:

https://i.imgur.com/atYyQ7d.jpg

It’s so much fun isn’t it :-) Nice to be able to focus on something other than length, too.