PDA

View Full Version : Anybody ever go through such an awkward stage of growth that you had to wear it up ..

Breezy
May 16th, 2018, 08:36 PM
for a few months for it to grow. Mine is about a little past APL and looks awful down,, I have too many layers, and I want to wear it up for a few months and by August I should have 2 inches of growth which should help tremoundeously I was just wondering if any others have had to come up with ideas to go throw the bad grow out stage that makes you want to scream lol and what you did. Thanks ladies.

trolleypup
May 16th, 2018, 10:24 PM
I wore baseball caps for a couple years to get past the awkward stage.

Stray_mind
May 16th, 2018, 11:12 PM
Like, right now? Lol...

My hair is below SL and my hemline is horrible. I keep my hair up all the time until i can cut my hair in july.

Milady_DeWinter
May 16th, 2018, 11:50 PM
Yep, I grew a pixie when I was a teen and it was super awful! When I was at collabone I cut it all in one lenght. Before, lots of hair bands... :( Good luck!

Lumienkeli
May 17th, 2018, 02:54 AM
Yep, I am at collarbone length with my shortest layers are at chin. I wear it constantly up.
What helped? I joined to the no trimming challanges to prevent my hair from another impulse chop! :)

lithostoic
May 17th, 2018, 06:37 AM
After I trimmed/combed out my 2 year old dreadlocks I had all kinds of crazy layers. A few months later I chopped to collarbone length from mid back!

lapushka
May 17th, 2018, 06:51 AM
A peacock twist is a great style for that length!

Chromis
May 17th, 2018, 07:25 AM
Bandanas and kerchiefs help too and I think look really cute when it is just not cooperating.

GalaMoon
May 17th, 2018, 08:21 AM
I'm at about APL, with layers and growing out bangs. It looks horrible when I wear my hair down, there's no shape to it and no amount of styling can tame it. I wear it in a twist or a bun most of the time (LWB is my to go bun), or even a french braid if I'm in a good mood. In my case, it will probably take more than a year of growth and small trims to get it to look good, but I'm determined to not cutting it short again.

pili
May 17th, 2018, 08:29 AM
I grew from a pixie, so I definitely went through this. I would use twists and tiny clips to hide the mullet stage.

Lizabeth94
May 17th, 2018, 09:22 AM
Im growing out a pixie, and my hair isn't long enough to even attempt putting up yet, but i have to pull my bangs back every day with an elastic or small clip. Otherwise it looks like i have a grown out bowl haircut, and it looks terrible. Hopefully by the end of the year it will be long enough to try something like braids if i can find some that wont hurt my scalp.

Arciela
May 17th, 2018, 09:25 AM
My hair is just past tbl but the "front" of my hair is all layered, choppy and messed up. While growing it out I just pull it all back in a lazy wrap bun or I'll do a crown braid. Sometimes half ups help too!

NightSister
May 17th, 2018, 09:40 AM
These damn not-bangs-not-fringe-not-hime-or-cute abominations hanging in front of my face....

INTO THE BUN WITH YOU.

Groovy Granny
May 17th, 2018, 11:55 AM
Yup ~ been there :agree:

I started from a pixie cut and then grew out from layered chin length.

Micro trim every month, or every few months snip a layer....whatever your gut tells you ....if it is on your mind it needs to be addressed as best you can.

Get barrettes, clips, claws etc. and bling it up as best you can with twists, half ups, ponytails, buns etc. so you can enjoy the stage until it passes.

Happy Growing ~ enjoy the journey :cheer:

browneyedsusan
May 17th, 2018, 06:04 PM
Oh yes.
I wore it up for eight solid months, then 90% of the time for another 2 or 3. I never wore it down in public.

Growing a pixie is not for wooses. :)
You'll get there. --Check out my growth album if you want a reality check. The October 2012 picture is from the thick of it. I looked like I desperately needed a haircut, but I kept the top pinned up so no one knew what a mess I had going on. :)
You'll get there.

cjk
May 17th, 2018, 06:09 PM
What's an awkward stage?

https://i.imgur.com/8Ne1NuB_d.jpg?maxwidth=640&shape=thumb&fidelity=medium

browneyedsusan
May 17th, 2018, 06:27 PM
What's an awkward stage?

:spitting:

trolleypup
May 17th, 2018, 07:35 PM
What's an awkward stage?
:misskim:
It's only awkward if you think it is!

Glitch
May 17th, 2018, 08:52 PM
I haven't experienced a 'really awkward' stage, but had plenty of awkward moments throughout the growing out process when I didn't know what to do with the hair. Throwing the hair up was always the best solution :p

Ellethwyn
May 17th, 2018, 10:59 PM
Yes! When mine was at APL, I wore it in a side braid all the time. I really liked that style on me then. Now it's so much longer, side braids are a pain! I sometimes miss those days of APL ; )

WyntreBlossom
May 18th, 2018, 01:38 AM
I feel this so much. Im like. in limbo between APL/BSL due to long, but unbalenced layers and my hair is just like..... the shortest layers are horrid lets put it that way. Im currently doing the no trim challenge ( over 1 year trim free woohoo!! ) and the braid every day challenge (which is hard with layers but today some lovely ladies introduced me to paranda's so I have a family member making me one and im hoping it fixes my little issue). braids/buns are like my go to. before I started the braid challenge, I literally just wore my hair is a loose messy bun (which. if im being honest looked just as aweful. I may have medium thickness hair strands, but my hair itself is super thin volume wise. So my bun was more like a....well my scrunchie is bigger than my bun.)

In my opinion, for me personally, keeping it braided or keeping it pulled up helps me forget about this awkward length/phase and helps lesson my obsession just a tad.

Eastbound&Down
May 18th, 2018, 10:40 AM
Anything below SL and above BSL for me is an awkward length, mainly because my hair is wavy and relatively thick, so it tends to triangle.

_fred_
May 19th, 2018, 02:09 AM
Yep! Mine's approaching APL and it's wavy so it's really difficult to have it down. Sometimes it looks OK, but mostly it just looks a mess. Happily, it can look really nice when it's up. Last time it was long I wrote it down all the time and was frequently angry that it wouldn't behave - this time as I'm growing it out I'm wearing it up almost all the time, and it's so nice to know I can make it look neat and tidy like that (unlike when it's shorter!). I'm hoping it'll be easier when it's properly long.

Best of luck growing past the difficult phase :)

Firebrand
May 22nd, 2018, 08:03 PM
Yep! Mine's approaching APL and it's wavy so it's really difficult to have it down. Sometimes it looks OK, but mostly it just looks a mess. Happily, it can look really nice when it's up. Last time it was long I wrote it down all the time and was frequently angry that it wouldn't behave - this time as I'm growing it out I'm wearing it up almost all the time, and it's so nice to know I can make it look neat and tidy like that (unlike when it's shorter!). I'm hoping it'll be easier when it's properly long.

Best of luck growing past the difficult phase :)

Thank you Fred. Neat and tidy until we can wear it down when it's properly long.. you said it! Thank you for your encouragement. I am just so obsessed with it growing, I need to forget about it!

Firebrand
May 22nd, 2018, 08:05 PM
yess Eastbound&Down, this is me, my hair is thick and wavy and I too triangle. I just cannot wait to get so length to it. how long is your hair now?

LadyArwen
May 22nd, 2018, 10:01 PM
right now perhaps...I like it long, but it gets caught in everything...so gotta wear it up

kittengirl
May 23rd, 2018, 01:37 PM
Yes, I got my hair cut shorter (just below shoulder) in January and loved it, then tried something a little more adventurous and a few inches shorter and I hate it with a fiery passion. I wore a hat for a month and now can finally start wearing a half up or all the way up in a clip with the help of some bobby pins. I have a long road ahead, full of regret lol.

Laura1986
May 23rd, 2018, 02:07 PM
Yes..
Growing out a pixie for 3,5 months now. Every week and every day are a bit different and I just try to figure out something simple that looks okay (for example, right now works: hair tucked behind ears, front section twisted to the side and secured with a clip). I stick with it for as long as it works, need to adjust a little bit each day. Would be easier if I could just bun it ;)