PDA

View Full Version : Hair straightening methods (1c/2a)

SeRe
May 15th, 2018, 10:52 PM
Hi All,

If anyone can help me, I'll be truly grateful.

Does anyone have natural hair straightening methods or methods to reduce the wave in hair? I have 1c/2a hair and would prefer to wear it straighter. I've noticed that henna straightens hair. It worked wonders for me until last year, and suddenly I see it has stopped working, no idea why. Maybe I need to use a better quality henna. I'm planning to order Jamila online.

It's not that I don't like wavy hair. In fact, I love it. However, my waves only seem to form at the ends, and make my hair look stringy at the ends and not at all attractive. As my hair is more straight than wavy, it makes more sense for me to wear it that way.

I have tried the curly girl method but it didn't work for me.

This is what my hair looks like, after I recently cut off a few inches: https://imgur.com/a/YA78Yev

I'm looking for anything that is no heat. I don't want to blow dry, or try treatments such as Brazilian blowout and keratin treatments in the salon.

Product recommendations, natural ingredients etc. will be appreciated.

Currently I use John Freida's frizz ease serum (extra strength) and It's a 10 miracle leave in.

Thank you :)

lithostoic
May 16th, 2018, 06:52 AM
I'm 1c and just brushing it out straight while wet is enough for me. You could try wrapping your hair around your head with a scarf and some bobby pins! Search on YouTube "hair wrapping heatless straight hair".

lapushka
May 16th, 2018, 07:32 AM
Yes other than wrapping it, there are few options, or you'd need curlers big enough to straighten and not to curl, and for your length, they just don't exist (big enough).

akurah
May 17th, 2018, 12:40 AM
if you want it to stay straight, you can't really wear it up before the occasion that you want it to be straight. My hair can be coaxed into straightness, sometimes, but wearing it in any fashion that isn't down after washing it makes the waves get incredibly strong. It doesn't matter what I choose either, the hair will hold it till the next wash. I imagine even true straighties might have that issue too, but i feel like it's "worse" (depending on POV) for 1c/2a+.

SeRe
May 20th, 2018, 01:10 PM
Thank you all for your response. Any conditioner recommendations? I really need one I guess. I don't mind spending the extra $, I want this frizz to go :(

Zesty
May 20th, 2018, 01:12 PM
Do you use silicones in a rinse-out conditioner? They can make hair straighter in my experience.

SeRe
May 20th, 2018, 01:17 PM
Do you use silicones in a rinse-out conditioner? They can make hair straighter in my experience.

I don't use a rinse out conditioner, just a leave in. But I will be buying a rinse out conditioner. I need recommendations.

AshtangiPNW
May 20th, 2018, 01:18 PM
I’ve had this experience too, Zesty. My hair seems to be much wavier without the regular use of silicones.

Zesty
May 20th, 2018, 01:21 PM
I don't use a rinse out conditioner, just a leave in. But I will be buying a rinse out conditioner. I need recommendations.

I like Herbal Essences. Especially the rose (pink bottle). I've also tried the chamomile, long term relationship, and hello hydration, and had success with them all.

SeRe
May 20th, 2018, 01:27 PM
I like Herbal Essences. Especially the rose (pink bottle). I've also tried the chamomile, long term relationship, and hello hydration, and had success with them all.

Ok, I'll check it out. I'm also thinking about shea moisture, I find natural conditioners so attractive :)

Jo Ann
May 20th, 2018, 01:33 PM
Yes other than wrapping it, there are few options, or you'd need curlers big enough to straighten and not to curl, and for your length, they just don't exist (big enough).
I've known some people to use clean food cans--be sure to smooth the edges ;)

SeRe
May 20th, 2018, 01:42 PM
I've known some people to use clean food cans--be sure to smooth the edges ;)

Interesting, how do they hold them up?

Zesty
May 20th, 2018, 02:39 PM
Ok, I'll check it out. I'm also thinking about shea moisture, I find natural conditioners so attractive :)

I've liked their stuff too. If you get one of the masks and use it as a conditioner it might be heavy enough to pull things a little straighter.

JeniBear
May 20th, 2018, 02:45 PM
I know the feeling! I also have been gifted with 1C/2A hair. I’ve finally decided to stop forcing my hair to “curl” for one day all for it to be ridiculously messy after I sleep on it. So lately I’ve been conditioning with silicones and brushing my hair gently with a wide tooth comb after I shower, then let it air dry. Then I use one drop of oil on the ends of my hair to tame some of the fluffiness. Seems to work for me:)

lapushka
May 20th, 2018, 03:37 PM

I would go with the honey or olive Garnier Whole Blends conditioner - amazing. Tried them several times, loved them!

Amelia777
July 23rd, 2018, 02:20 AM
I also have 1c/2a hair. Sometimes I want to be straighter. Unfortunately, I haven't found natural methods for this purpose, so I bought a hair straightener. I should say it is important to choose a proper model that will fit exactly your hair type. I was lucky to find a good review on https://www.hairstraightenermodels.com/ that helped me a lot and explained everything I had to know about different straightener models. Personally I chose Kapozi Flat Iron and I'm satisfied with it. But I'm glad that I've found this thread, I'm going to try some methods mentioned here. Thanks for sharing your experience!