PDA

View Full Version : A quick question

Ardyn
May 15th, 2018, 02:05 PM
I'm sure this has been asked 7980 times before, so apologies in advance:

I've been using a little bit of hair putty to style my short hair out of my eyes every day whilst I wait for it to grow. I'm not doing anything crazy with it, just rubbing putty on my hands then swiping it back gently over my hair.

Is this okay, or am I risking damage? Would I be better to just...nix all the products? I'm so paranoid now, haha!

natt i nord
May 15th, 2018, 02:10 PM
As long as you wash it out and don't brush it out you should be fine. The main risk of damage from hair styling products like hair spray etc are that the single hair strands are sticking together and damaged if you rip them apart by brushing the hair. As long as you try to prevent that, the damage should be minimal.

Ardyn
May 15th, 2018, 02:13 PM
Ah, I see! I don't brush it out, no -- I tend to leave it until I wash my hair.

I'll still keep it to a minimum to be sure (just for going out/interviews/days where my hair seems determined to seek its unholy vengeance upon me for cutting it) but it's a weight off to know the product itself shouldn't cause an issue.

Thank you! :D

lapushka
May 15th, 2018, 02:54 PM
I'm sure this has been asked 7980 times before, so apologies in advance:

I've been using a little bit of hair putty to style my short hair out of my eyes every day whilst I wait for it to grow. I'm not doing anything crazy with it, just rubbing putty on my hands then swiping it back gently over my hair.

Is this okay, or am I risking damage? Would I be better to just...nix all the products? I'm so paranoid now, haha!

Weren't you the one complaining of a waxy greasy feel due to conditioner? I could be mistaken (memory issues), but if so then it might be this rather than the conditioner. If you use too much of this, especially near your roots - I wouldn't do it.

How short/long is your hair?

Ardyn
May 15th, 2018, 02:58 PM
Hmmm no, I don't think that was me! I did have an issue of it being a bit greasy, but that was down to the coconut oil I'm using for the Inversion Method. ^_^

I don't use it near my roots, no. I'm just sort of...sweeping it over? So very surface-level. :)

My hair is undercut at the moment... ;A; Longest on top is about jawline-length, back and sides are about 2 inches (no putty there, I just use it to sweep the long-on-top bit back)

lapushka
May 15th, 2018, 03:03 PM
Hmmm no, I don't think that was me! I did have an issue of it being a bit greasy, but that was down to the coconut oil I'm using for the Inversion Method. ^_^

I don't use it near my roots, no. I'm just sort of...sweeping it over? So very surface-level. :)

My hair is undercut at the moment... ;A; Longest on top is about jawline-length, back and sides are about 2 inches (no putty there, I just use it to sweep the long-on-top bit back)

Oh oops sorry, my bad! :( :o I think that's fine. As long as you don't keep building it up, building it up, without properly detangling at the end of every night.

My mom monthly washes her hair and even goes a bit longer than that. She uses hairspray daily, but does comb her hair out a few times a day so it doesn't totally ruin her hair.

I doubt that when you properly wash and detangle it causes any damage!

Corvana
May 15th, 2018, 03:33 PM
If your hair is long enough, you can also braid it back!

https://forums.longhaircommunity.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=27385&d=1495414081

That's what I used to do when it was really annoying me. The top in this photo was around jaw or so. But I had a mohawk so it looks longer :laugh:

Joules
May 16th, 2018, 01:57 AM
Also, check the ingredients to see if there's any denatured alcohol (alcohol denat., usually listed with percentage). This stuff is really drying.

lithostoic
May 16th, 2018, 06:47 AM
Sounds fine to me! Products aren't always evil. As long as you wash it all out it should be fine :) Maybe clarify every once in a while to make sure you don't get product buildup.

lapushka
May 16th, 2018, 06:53 AM
Also, check the ingredients to see if there's any denatured alcohol (alcohol denat., usually listed with percentage). This stuff is really drying.

Yes I keep that out of my gels. Aldi has 3 tubes of gel, 2 of which have alcohol denat. in them, and the third one does not (and it is a great great gel).

cjk
May 16th, 2018, 12:03 PM
There's a differences between taking care of something, in this case your hair, and rampant paranoia about causing damage.

Stop. Breathe. Relax!

Ultimately what is your goal? Keeping your hair from flopping down into your eyes? Okay. You're cementing it into place with a good quality product, so that's probably not doing any significant damage, long term.

Having said that, it's always good to have multiple options. And I'm a big fan of mechanical styling instead of using products like putty or hairspray. Bobby pins and barrettes can be used to clip your hair back, and can hold FAR better than any hairspray. Depending on how you use them they can be completely invisible, or a design element. Braids and twists are also a fantastic option.

I like combs. Side combs work great, and if you have sufficient length French combs are fantastic. There are all manner of ways to style hair without using glue, putty, spray, or cement.

And they're a great way to express your individuality!