PDA

View Full Version : Hairstyles for hot areas

natt i nord
May 15th, 2018, 01:43 PM
I hope I looked closely enough and didn't miss a thread about that.

What hairstyles do you wear when it's HOT? First idea that comes to my mind would be a bun of course... My go-to style is LWB with ficcare/flexi8.

But my problem is: I work at a bakery. I'm selling bread and stuff in front of two 220°C/430°F hot ovens and I'm constantly moving, which means I have sweat streaming down me everywhere. Our store is incredibly hot. A bun is killing me in this case, it's completely wet in it after an hour of working and I don't think that's great for the hair. Not to mention it's absolutely blargh when I have to redo it.
Having a braid or ponytail however is killing me too. My high ponytail goes down to my waist already, and this is too long to have when constantly moving, it's always in the way. Especially as I'm working with food I don't really want that. I'm allowed to, our only policy is that long hair has to be tied back, but my ponytail is getting everywhere... That's not hygenic.

So what the heck do I do, any suggestions? Is there an awesome easy (opening shifts start at 5am, I need something fast please...) braiding style that keeps the hair up, but not as big as a bun?

mwallingford
May 15th, 2018, 01:51 PM
That's a good question! How about a crown braid, or a faux crown braid? You could part your hair down the middle (I've heard that the part helps keep your scalp cool but I don't know if that's true or not), braid your hair in twin braids using French, Dutch, or plain English braids, and wrap them around your head and pin them down. That sounds miserable working in front of an oven that hot! I personally much prefer colder weather to hot, so I would be TERRIBLE at a job like that. Major perks for you keeping up with that!

Joules
May 15th, 2018, 01:54 PM
Maybe something like milkmaid braids? Or if you can master a crown braid in 5 min, that could be great, too.

natt i nord
May 15th, 2018, 02:14 PM
Haha, thanks mwallingford. Usually I love my job, but on hot summer days I really regret not looking for something else. :lol:

Milkmaid braids are two braids on each side, right? Braids have the same problem as ponytails - they keep getting in the way.

But I'll try a crown braid tomorrow, let's see if I can manage. My hair is not long enough for a real crown braid, but the fake one should work.
My braiding skills are nonexistent because my hair hates being braided, but it will have to deal with it I guess. :p

prairie lark
May 15th, 2018, 03:15 PM
How about a high single braid, looped and the tail pinned under the start of the braid? I can't find a picture but I've put mine up like that before.

Looped side braids are (http://www.glamcheck.com/fashion/2012/03/20/hairstyle-how-to-looped-side-braids/) really cute https://i.imgur.com/rLHJFEC.jpg?1

I wore my hair in 5 small braids (https://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=45350&page=260&p=3545142&viewfull=1#post3545142), one above the other down the back of my head, and my head stayed nice and cool. My double buns the next day were, too.

lapushka
May 15th, 2018, 03:28 PM
My go-to is and always will by a LWB (lazy wrap bun for the newbies). I love that bun to bits and wear it all the time. It is also very nice in hot weather.

I was outside these past few days in the garden (resting) and it was really warm.

Corvana
May 15th, 2018, 03:29 PM
Haha, thanks mwallingford. Usually I love my job, but on hot summer days I really regret not looking for something else. :lol:

Milkmaid braids are two braids on each side, right? Braids have the same problem as ponytails - they keep getting in the way.

But I'll try a crown braid tomorrow, let's see if I can manage. My hair is not long enough for a real crown braid, but the fake one should work.
My braiding skills are nonexistent because my hair hates being braided, but it will have to deal with it I guess. :p

Milkmaid braids are two braids pinned up:

http://thebestfashionblog.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/07/milkmaid-braids-hairstyles2.jpg

And I always thought that a faux crown braid was one braid wrapped around the head (as two is a milkmaid).

Sarahlabyrinth
May 15th, 2018, 03:59 PM
I used to work in a bakery, so I know what you mean by hot - head in and out of ovens all the time! I just used to wear a bun, and over that a food hygiene head covering. (Hair had to be covered).

Cybercat
May 15th, 2018, 05:57 PM
I hope I looked closely enough and didn't miss a thread about that.

What hairstyles do you wear when it's HOT? First idea that comes to my mind would be a bun of course... My go-to style is LWB with ficcare/flexi8.

But my problem is: I work at a bakery. I'm selling bread and stuff in front of two 220°C/430°F hot ovens and I'm constantly moving, which means I have sweat streaming down me everywhere. Our store is incredibly hot. A bun is killing me in this case, it's completely wet in it after an hour of working and I don't think that's great for the hair. Not to mention it's absolutely blargh when I have to redo it.
Having a braid or ponytail however is killing me too. My high ponytail goes down to my waist already, and this is too long to have when constantly moving, it's always in the way. Especially as I'm working with food I don't really want that. I'm allowed to, our only policy is that long hair has to be tied back, but my ponytail is getting everywhere... That's not hygenic.

So what the heck do I do, any suggestions? Is there an awesome easy (opening shifts start at 5am, I need something fast please...) braiding style that keeps the hair up, but not as big as a bun?

Since you work in a bakery how about the baker's hat. You could put hair up in it. I work my farm and use a garden hat. I don't pin hair up but grab it for ponytail and twirl it and fold on top of head and put my hat on. It stays till I take hat off. My hat is big for my head too so this makes it fit better.

Zesty
May 15th, 2018, 06:16 PM
I would second (third?) milkmaid/Heidi braids. Double braids pinned up around your head. It sounds like your hair is plenty long for it.

I did the style today with claw clips and some pins and even though I took the time to French braid each side (optional) it didn't take me 10 minutes and held all day. It also distributes the weight really comfortably.

trolleypup
May 15th, 2018, 06:41 PM
My go to for being active when it is hot as hell is a pony scrub (http://www.blueskyscrubs.com) or equivalent. Holds for a day of bashing through brush clearing trails in the heat. Yes, everything gets wet, but the cotton tends to wick it to the surface away from your skin. Hair ends up damp but dries quickly. I sometimes end up with long curls after. Besides all this, the hair is protected from environmental contaminants.

lithostoic
May 15th, 2018, 06:42 PM
Try a vortex bun! More even distribution so maybe you won't have a giant wet spot. You could do the braiding the night before so that you just have to pin it up in the morning.

mwallingford
May 15th, 2018, 09:56 PM

I'm glad I could provide some input! To be honest, I've never tried a crown braid (I too lack any resemblance of braiding skill), so I'd love to see if this works for you. I can't even imagine the heat; I'm getting hot right now thinking about it!

Milady_DeWinter
May 16th, 2018, 01:50 AM
I'm going to be spying this thread as Madrid in summer becomes Hell (45C/113F is quite usual by the end of July) to pick some ideas. I need to try new styles not to get bored :p

natt i nord
May 16th, 2018, 02:01 AM
Thank you for all your input :flower:

I don't know if I'm allowed to wear scrubs or anything like that, I'll have to check our policy for that. I think I can, I just have to follow company colors I guess. I'll check.

I'll try something braided today, let's see. :D

Milady_DeWinter 45C outside sounds horrible, I'd probably curl up in a ball and hold something like a summer sleep...

lithostoic
May 16th, 2018, 06:44 AM
I'm going to be spying this thread as Madrid in summer becomes Hell (45C/113F is quite usual by the end of July) to pick some ideas. I need to try new styles not to get bored :p

Wow, and I thought Florida was hot! It does get that hot, but it's considered unusual. Arounf 100F is normal

pili
May 16th, 2018, 08:17 AM
Wow, and I thought Florida was hot! It does get that hot, but it's considered unusual. Arounf 100F is normal

But combine 100F with Florida humidity, and most people can't breath!

Alibran
May 16th, 2018, 09:28 AM
I'd probably go for a crown braid as well, in that situation. I'm waiting for my hair to get long enough for that because I need to get it up and out of the way in summer. And crown braids distribute the weight well.

AutobotsAttack
May 16th, 2018, 11:47 AM
It’s about 97-100 degrees today. And our humidity percentage is supposed to get to 80% by high noon today.

So I’ve been doing four braids in sections and put them in pony holder or just let them hang down, or bun them up for more protection.

natt i nord
May 16th, 2018, 01:44 PM
So I tried those milkmaidbraids and a Vortex bun but both looked incredibly stupid because I don't have enough hair for it, so I didn't leave the house with that :lol:
I managed a decent braided cinnamon, but it already mostly fell apart before I even was AT work, so I didn't even try if it would hold DURING work. :D Freshly washed wasn't the best day to start experimenting I guess.
So LWB with Ficcare again today and I died again. BLARGH.

lithostoic
May 16th, 2018, 02:23 PM
But combine 100F with Florida humidity, and most people can't breath!

Very true :) I know I can't!

natt i nord
May 18th, 2018, 02:07 PM
Tried an oval bun today and it actually looks decent! However, same problem - it already loosens up while I'm having a lazy day at home, I'll need to get more or different pins to secure it more tightly.
(Well... it's not exactly oval :D)

https://abload.de/img/img_2205pasq2.jpg

I have another day off tomorrow, but we have some plans to go out. Guess I'll try that bun again tomorrow and see if it survives the day. :D

Zesty
May 18th, 2018, 03:51 PM
What kind of pins are you using?

I'll go ahead and suggest spin pins if you don't have them. Someone's gotta do it. :p

natt i nord
May 19th, 2018, 01:48 AM
Simple cheap bobby pins from the drugstore, I guess they're not enough. I think I have some spin pins somewhere, gotta look for them :p

lucid
May 19th, 2018, 03:21 AM
I'm very happy with my Quattro u-pins and fork. Everything else I've tried just slides out after a short amount of time. They are quite expensive, but they will last until you lose them. :p

I double bunned my hair the other day, using two Quattro u-pins for each bun, and they stayed put the entire day and was just as secure when I took them down at the evening (first time for me, as I usually have to redo my buns after a while). I was out hiking in 25 degrees + it was sunny, and this hairstyle was very comfortable in the warm weather. My scalp got a lot of air and it just felt nice. So this is my new go-to summer hairstyle.

enting
May 24th, 2018, 04:11 AM
I'm going to second the pony scrub, or at least some form of bun cover or wide headband that can pull some of the wet away from your hair and head. For me a wide headband would do double duty as a sweat absorber and to also hold back all the flyaways I get. There's nothing I hate more than being all sweaty and overheated than being sweaty and overheated and also having my hair in my face driving me nuts.

PixieP
May 24th, 2018, 06:39 AM
How about a folded french/dutch braid? (https://i.pinimg.com/originals/1e/46/49/1e46496df0afba6fce953df1ff01f10d.jpg)Braid it and then clip the length up on the french braided part with a ficcare or something. Or if it is the length of the braid that is the problem, I do something like this (https://www.flickr.com/photos/72611294@N08/24645339536)when I sleep with a paranda braid because it's too long for comfort. I don't tie it off as tight though, I fold the braid up to like 2/3s of it length and fasten it with a hair friendly hair tie. Here (https://www.flickr.com/photos/inamourada_flux/10760169713/) is another version with the braid doubled up.

I also second having a headband or a scarf tied around your head to capture some of the sweat. I sweat a lot from basically anything, and it's a lifesaver for me. I still sweat on my face, but I don't get the heavy streams of sweat from my hair running down my face,

LadyArwen
May 24th, 2018, 07:20 AM
My favorite for times I need to have my hair up and out of my face is the flexi 8 clip. (painting, childcare)

You can order them on eBay or from lilla rose

They are a little expensive, but you can run over it with your car they are so durable. So if you get one and wear it all the time, and it keeps your hair out of your face, and out of trouble at your job it is worth it

Hairkay
May 24th, 2018, 11:49 AM
How about a folded french/dutch braid? (https://i.pinimg.com/originals/1e/46/49/1e46496df0afba6fce953df1ff01f10d.jpg)Braid it and then clip the length up on the french braided part with a ficcare or something. Or if it is the length of the braid that is the problem, I do something like this (https://www.flickr.com/photos/72611294@N08/24645339536)when I sleep with a paranda braid because it's too long for comfort. I don't tie it off as tight though, I fold the braid up to like 2/3s of it length and fasten it with a hair friendly hair tie. Here (https://www.flickr.com/photos/inamourada_flux/10760169713/) is another version with the braid doubled up.

I also second having a headband or a scarf tied around your head to capture some of the sweat. I sweat a lot from basically anything, and it's a lifesaver for me. I still sweat on my face, but I don't get the heavy streams of sweat from my hair running down my face,

I second the Dutch braid. I use Dutch braids which I weave the hanging ends back into the opposite braid to make it crown braid style. I've used it in the tropics and also when I had a stint working in a bakery.

cathair
May 24th, 2018, 12:11 PM
I'm wondering if in a bakery you could chuck it under a hair net loose and pretend it's for hygiene reasons. It's not pretty but it is comfy.