View Full Version : I miss my length....

rymorg2
October 31st, 2008, 02:24 PM
So I'm sitting here perusing pictures, threads, etc....and I get this very very sad feeling. I SO miss my length and I start to get all depressed. So I started thinking about goals. What goals do I want to set for myself, etc. Where do I want my hair to be in terms of health, length, etc.

I do try to err on the side of health with my hair. With the exception of the demipermanent color I use on it once every other month that is. I just don't feel like it's growing at the moment, at least not a lot. I guess a watched pot never boils right? Anyway, even if I can get my lower estimate of 3/4" a month I could have a yard of hair in two years. That would put me almost at tailbone. But two years feels so far off.

How about you guys? How do you set your goals? How often do you reevaluate? I'm constantly changing my mind. Chime in with your opinions! :)

Amara
October 31st, 2008, 02:30 PM
I reevaluated and reevaluated. I haven't reeavaluted for a while so maybe I've found my true goal. Your goal shouldn't be in cement, you know, you can always change!

CopperHead
October 31st, 2008, 02:32 PM
I guess I just go with the flow and don't really make any goals. I will be back at tailbone early next year, but I wear my hair up most of the time so the added length is always a surprise. You will have long flowing tresses before you know it.;) Wear as many updos as you can and I know you will find your hair growing before your eyes. :)

Islandgrrl
October 31st, 2008, 02:45 PM
I've changed the way I think about my goals completely, even if the ultimate goal hasn't changed: terminal length.

While I still aim for terminal, my goal isn't really length based anymore. My goal (or challenge - depending upon how you look at things), is to love my hair at whatever length it happens to be.

I realized that I have to find enjoyment in it, no matter what, because when I don't, well, that's when I'm tempted to do bad things to it. :evil:

My hair is going to grow. Whether I leave it alone or not. For me, obsessing about how much growth I'm getting every month leads me toward dissatisfaction, because at some point I'm not going to get what I expect. So I don't take the measuring tape to my hair.

I try hard to keep this in mind, especially when I start to over-evaluate my progress. I know that in two years, my hair will be substantially longer than it is now. Worrying over the day-to-day is pointless.

FWIW, I miss my knee-length, too. :)

embee
October 31st, 2008, 02:45 PM
My goal was terminal and as far as I can tell I am there. That's great, but sorta sad too.

rymorg2
October 31st, 2008, 02:48 PM
I reevaluated and reevaluated. I haven't reeavaluted for a while so maybe I've found my true goal. Your goal shouldn't be in cement, you know, you can always change!

Thanks Amara....that's so me....I love to change my goals. :D

Gumball
October 31st, 2008, 02:49 PM
In terms of length there were really only milestones I looked forward to. In terms of goals, well, there isn't really. That makes reevaluation very sporadic if really ever apparent with me. I like my hair and all the trials, tribulations and celebrations that it comes with. Regardless of the growth, whether it's the 1/2 inch per month average or something more or less, there is still growth and I'm taking it in full stride. I pay more attention to things I can possibly do to it style-wise and I guess length just sneaks in there sometimes. :)

rymorg2
October 31st, 2008, 02:50 PM
I guess I just go with the flow and don't really make any goals. I will be back at tailbone early next year, but I wear my hair up most of the time so the added length is always a surprise. You will have long flowing tresses before you know it.;) Wear as many updos as you can and I know you will find your hair growing before your eyes. :)

LOL Updos? What's an updo? :rollin: The only true updo I can do at the moment is a peacock twist. But at least I can do that one right? And a month ago I couldn't do it without using a ponytail holder and just flipping up the tail and clipping with a clip! So I guess it's growing. But oh, I can do figure 8's and infinities and wrapped buns on my girls...and it makes me so jealous! Thanks for the support copperhead...your hair looks mauvelous........

AngelInDisguise
October 31st, 2008, 02:51 PM
My first goal is BSL-length, then cut out layers bit by bit. And of course I want the hair to be healthy.

Although I know that my hair is growing quite fast it feels like there is nothing moving at the moment. My length is really akward just over the shoulders - to me this has always been the one of the worst lengths to wear and I often had it cut at that point.

But not this time. I found some help here!

One Bad thing about reading here and on other Long hair pages: BSL seems only slightly longer than a pixie cut. I'm tempted to set a new and much longer goal - but this will only result in the need of even more patience.....

rymorg2
October 31st, 2008, 02:54 PM
I've changed the way I think about my goals completely, even if the ultimate goal hasn't changed: terminal length.

While I still aim for terminal, my goal isn't really length based anymore. My goal (or challenge - depending upon how you look at things), is to love my hair at whatever length it happens to be.

I realized that I have to find enjoyment in it, no matter what, because when I don't, well, that's when I'm tempted to do bad things to it. :evil:

My hair is going to grow. Whether I leave it alone or not. For me, obsessing about how much growth I'm getting every month leads me toward dissatisfaction, because at some point I'm not going to get what I expect. So I don't take the measuring tape to my hair.

I try hard to keep this in mind, especially when I start to over-evaluate my progress. I know that in two years, my hair will be substantially longer than it is now. Worrying over the day-to-day is pointless.

FWIW, I miss my knee-length, too. :)

Islandgrrl, that's a good challenge, to love my hair no matter where it is.

I guess that's part of my problem. The stylists at work and I are always talking about this. I don't love my hair and I used to love it so much. I am SO picky about it. And when I don't enjoy it is always when I definately do bad things to it. OY. One thing that I love about it is that it's so thick. It's also one thing I hate about it because it takes me longer to do certain updos.

I guess I should throw out the measuring tape and start taking pics maybe? Then I can SEE how much it's grown. I just keep thinking if I hadn't cut it I'd be at waist by now.

Thanks for the support.....and hugs for the knee length......:grouphug:

rymorg2
October 31st, 2008, 02:55 PM
My goal was terminal and as far as I can tell I am there. That's great, but sorta sad too.

I can relate, I used to think I was terminal at bsl.....

rymorg2
October 31st, 2008, 02:58 PM
In terms of length there were really only milestones I looked forward to. In terms of goals, well, there isn't really. That makes reevaluation very sporadic if really ever apparent with me. I like my hair and all the trials, tribulations and celebrations that it comes with. Regardless of the growth, whether it's the 1/2 inch per month average or something more or less, there is still growth and I'm taking it in full stride. I pay more attention to things I can possibly do to it style-wise and I guess length just sneaks in there sometimes. :)

GUMBALL!!! Congrats on the gurudom!!! Have you been given minions yet?????

I think I just need to let it grow. I'm going to keep supplementing and taking care of it like it's old lace and babying it. I get so frustrated when I can't pull it up, and this length it always takes me longer to do anything with it because it's in that awkward phase.

Thanks for the support...

Islandgrrl
October 31st, 2008, 02:59 PM
Islandgrrl, that's a good challenge, to love my hair no matter where it is.

I guess that's part of my problem. The stylists at work and I are always talking about this. I don't love my hair and I used to love it so much. I am SO picky about it. And when I don't enjoy it is always when I definately do bad things to it. OY. One thing that I love about it is that it's so thick. It's also one thing I hate about it because it takes me longer to do certain updos.

I guess I should throw out the measuring tape and start taking pics maybe? Then I can SEE how much it's grown. I just keep thinking if I hadn't cut it I'd be at waist by now.

Thanks for the support.....and hugs for the knee length......:grouphug:

I know what you mean about the thickness. It's like a double edged sword. Wonderful in that it's thick and luxurious, not so wonderful because you have to wait so long to get enough length to do fun things with it.

I'm at BSL+ and I still can't do a figure 8 or infinity bun. It'll come one day and I'll be thrilled silly. :silly:

So find one thing to love every day. Doesn't have to be the same thing every day, either. Today I happen to be in love with the fluffiness of it (I COd this morning).

:grouphug:

rymorg2
October 31st, 2008, 02:59 PM
My first goal is BSL-length, then cut out layers bit by bit. And of course I want the hair to be healthy.

Although I know that my hair is growing quite fast it feels like there is nothing moving at the moment. My length is really akward just over the shoulders - to me this has always been the one of the worst lengths to wear and I often had it cut at that point.

But not this time. I found some help here!

One Bad thing about reading here and on other Long hair pages: BSL seems only slightly longer than a pixie cut. I'm tempted to set a new and much longer goal - but this will only result in the need of even more patience.....

LOL that's where I'm at, is just about the shoulders. Once it's just over my shoulders it gets heavier and the weight starts to pull it and make it grow faster.

rymorg2
October 31st, 2008, 03:01 PM
I know what you mean about the thickness. It's like a double edged sword. Wonderful in that it's thick and luxurious, not so wonderful because you have to wait so long to get enough length to do fun things with it.

I'm at BSL+ and I still can't do a figure 8 or infinity bun. It'll come one day and I'll be thrilled silly. :silly:

So find one thing to love every day. Doesn't have to be the same thing every day, either. Today I happen to be in love with the fluffiness of it (I COd this morning).

:grouphug:

Ohhh....and to not be able to figure 8 or infinity when you USED to be able to must be a pain in the butt!

Ok, so today I'm in love with the feel of it. It's very soft today and not greasy at all.

Islandgrrl
October 31st, 2008, 03:03 PM
Ohhh....and to not be able to figure 8 or infinity when you USED to be able to must be a pain in the butt!

Ok, so today I'm in love with the feel of it. It's very soft today and not greasy at all.

When my hair was long before I didn't know how to do anything but a cinnamon bun and a braid. :o

rymorg2
October 31st, 2008, 03:06 PM
When my hair was long before I didn't know how to do anything but a cinnamon bun and a braid. :o

OOOh.....did you get bored with it a lot? I get bored if I can't do different things with my hair.

spidermom
October 31st, 2008, 03:19 PM
What helps me most when I'm frustrated with slow growth is to put my hair up every morning before I even look at it. Then get busy. I try not to second-guess my goals. Allowing myself to do that means that I'm pulled in too many directions. I decided to make a plan and stick to it; no changing my mind until I've achieved my first plan. However, nobody is perfect. I was going to grow to classic with trimming, but decided this year to grow one year without trimming just to compare speed of length increase, appearance, and so forth. I figured I shouldn't be recommending trimming at every turn when I've never walked in the shoes of a non-trimmer.

Islandgrrl
October 31st, 2008, 03:22 PM
OOOh.....did you get bored with it a lot? I get bored if I can't do different things with my hair.

Not so much, no. I didn't really have a clue that there were other options. I was truly a hair doofus. If I'd found this place before I whacked it all off I'd probably be at ankle now....

Curlsgirl
October 31st, 2008, 05:33 PM
I hadn't thought about it until you mentioned it. When I first came here I thought I wanted to go waist or longer wherever I stopped. But then health became MUCH more important to me. So along with the babying in other ways, I started getting what I think is the best color process to keep my hair non-gray and still have healthy hair. After that I realized I still really needed trims to make my hair look like I wanted it to look. As a result I am not even at waist yet but finally I have stopped letting it bother me. I don't know many updos either but I don't really get bored just doing figure 8s, braids, halfups and down curly. I straighten it by blow-drying for a change once in a while too. If it stays the length it is I really feel I will be okay with it when at one time I was DESPERATE to reach waist. I love it now and wouldn't swap it for anyone else's. I feel a lot freer not obsessing about growth so much anymore.

rymorg2
October 31st, 2008, 06:33 PM
What helps me most when I'm frustrated with slow growth is to put my hair up every morning before I even look at it. Then get busy. I try not to second-guess my goals. Allowing myself to do that means that I'm pulled in too many directions. I decided to make a plan and stick to it; no changing my mind until I've achieved my first plan. However, nobody is perfect. I was going to grow to classic with trimming, but decided this year to grow one year without trimming just to compare speed of length increase, appearance, and so forth. I figured I shouldn't be recommending trimming at every turn when I've never walked in the shoes of a non-trimmer.

That would work, except there's very little I can do to put it up. Peacock twists is it right now. sigh......

rymorg2
October 31st, 2008, 06:34 PM
Not so much, no. I didn't really have a clue that there were other options. I was truly a hair doofus. If I'd found this place before I whacked it all off I'd probably be at ankle now....

Awww.......that's too bad.....

rymorg2
October 31st, 2008, 06:35 PM
I hadn't thought about it until you mentioned it. When I first came here I thought I wanted to go waist or longer wherever I stopped. But then health became MUCH more important to me. So along with the babying in other ways, I started getting what I think is the best color process to keep my hair non-gray and still have healthy hair. After that I realized I still really needed trims to make my hair look like I wanted it to look. As a result I am not even at waist yet but finally I have stopped letting it bother me. I don't know many updos either but I don't really get bored just doing figure 8s, braids, halfups and down curly. I straighten it by blow-drying for a change once in a while too. If it stays the length it is I really feel I will be okay with it when at one time I was DESPERATE to reach waist. I love it now and wouldn't swap it for anyone else's. I feel a lot freer not obsessing about growth so much anymore.

I'm glad you're in a good place with your hair curlsgirl! I'll get there eventually too. I'm working on it. Thanks for the support......

neon-dream
October 31st, 2008, 07:08 PM
I miss mine too :(
Mine used to be classic length! Now its like, half way between BSL and waist length
xxx

rymorg2
November 1st, 2008, 04:34 AM
I miss mine too :(
Mine used to be classic length! Now its like, half way between BSL and waist length
xxx

WOW....does your hair grow fast?

Mine used to. It doesn't feel like it is at the moment. I used to get 3/4" to 1" every month.

Robbi Dehlinger
November 1st, 2008, 04:37 AM
I WOULD miss my length if I had to cut it, but we are here for ya. You GROW BACK, girl:)

Chrissy
November 1st, 2008, 04:40 AM
This may sound trite but I try and enjoy each phase as it is. I've cut my hair twice when it was long. It could have been classic by now....yeah....but why dwell on that? I have my before pic up to remind me I can get it that long again. Right now I can do a half up that looks half-a$$ed! :) It's only because my pony is itty-bitty in the half up. So I don't do that style. I tried it before bed once to see if I had enough hair to do it.
I was happy I could do it - dorky looking or not. So for now I'm happy with my clippies/barrettes and head bands.
I used to be known by my long pony tail to all my friends. They could always find me in a crowd!! :) I do miss that. So I guess just try to enjoy where you are on the way to where you're going!!!

hairymonster
November 1st, 2008, 04:53 AM
Aww, I do understand the pain of missing your length. It felt really awkward when I first cut my hair from knee to shoulder some time ago. Still I did enjoy the illusion of added volume, and being able to wear my hair in a nice bouncy ponytail, and after that a light figure-of-8, and other styles that I couldn't wear when my hair was too long. Now my hair is slightly past tailbone, and although I'm not aiming for classic or terminal, if it gets there before I realize it, good!

So just dwell on the pleasure of keeping your hair healthy for now - you will get there!

Periwinkle
November 1st, 2008, 07:18 AM
I've realised that for me, it's not about the goals: it's about the journey. I'm still aiming for classic, but I'm more excited by the idea of discovering new things as my hair gets longer and enjoying new length and health than I am by the length I have and gaining it. My goal is really just to Keep Going!! and enjoy my hair while I'm at it.

rymorg2
November 2nd, 2008, 06:10 AM
I WOULD miss my length if I had to cut it, but we are here for ya. You GROW BACK, girl:)

Thanks Robbi!

rymorg2
November 2nd, 2008, 06:11 AM
This may sound trite but I try and enjoy each phase as it is. I've cut my hair twice when it was long. It could have been classic by now....yeah....but why dwell on that? I have my before pic up to remind me I can get it that long again. Right now I can do a half up that looks half-a$$ed! :) It's only because my pony is itty-bitty in the half up. So I don't do that style. I tried it before bed once to see if I had enough hair to do it.
I was happy I could do it - dorky looking or not. So for now I'm happy with my clippies/barrettes and head bands.
I used to be known by my long pony tail to all my friends. They could always find me in a crowd!! :) I do miss that. So I guess just try to enjoy where you are on the way to where you're going!!!

Thanks Chrissy...that's my issue now, enjoying it where it is.....

rymorg2
November 2nd, 2008, 06:11 AM
Aww, I do understand the pain of missing your length. It felt really awkward when I first cut my hair from knee to shoulder some time ago. Still I did enjoy the illusion of added volume, and being able to wear my hair in a nice bouncy ponytail, and after that a light figure-of-8, and other styles that I couldn't wear when my hair was too long. Now my hair is slightly past tailbone, and although I'm not aiming for classic or terminal, if it gets there before I realize it, good!

So just dwell on the pleasure of keeping your hair healthy for now - you will get there!

Thanks hairymonster.....I'm trying to do just that! :)

rymorg2
November 2nd, 2008, 06:12 AM
I've realised that for me, it's not about the goals: it's about the journey. I'm still aiming for classic, but I'm more excited by the idea of discovering new things as my hair gets longer and enjoying new length and health than I am by the length I have and gaining it. My goal is really just to Keep Going!! and enjoy my hair while I'm at it.

Hi Periwinkle! Thanks. I think that's really what I want to do too.....it's so hard right now though....

rymorg2
November 2nd, 2008, 06:13 AM
Well, last night I was playing with my hair and stuff, and I noticed in the mirror when I pulled it up into a ponytail to make my scrunchi bun for sleep, that the ponytail is definately longer by at least an inch, so it IS growing. It made me feel a lot better. Thanks for your support! :)

Robbi Dehlinger
November 2nd, 2008, 06:17 AM
hooray!

We are here for ya, sis:)