PDA

View Full Version : How Fast Does Your Braid Shred?

MoonRabbit
May 15th, 2018, 08:21 AM
When I have a loose braid (side braid or double dutch) my shred usually begins in half an hour to an hour. It drives me crazy. I will feel all cute with my braid in and then look in the mirror and the reality hits :silly:

So how long can you go without shred happening?

Any products you use to keep it looking nice and new?

Are there certain braid styles that shred faster than others on you?

school of fish
May 15th, 2018, 08:33 AM
My braid shreds before I even make it, hahaha!!!

Henrietta
May 15th, 2018, 08:37 AM
15 minutes. Just a few swishes along my back and around my shoulders and baby hairs are free. That's why I hardly ever wear braids :D
Some people oil their hair before of after braiding. Some dampen the hair, apply leave-in conditioner and then braid. Silicone serum applied after braiding may help as well.

Larki
May 15th, 2018, 09:09 AM
With clean gair, half an hour. But I never braid clean hair anymore, I always use a bunch of leave-in conditioner and oil or just dampen it and add deep conditioner so it can marinate all day. My braids last a full work day and look new at bedtime now, no shred at all.

browneyedsusan
May 15th, 2018, 09:15 AM
Immediately. Before I can get them finished. They go together neater if I damp braid, and coat the thing with hairspray at the end. I'll wear braids to work like this, but they need removed when I get home. If I don't use any product, it's hard to tell there's a braid under all the shred! :rolling:

Glitch
May 15th, 2018, 09:28 AM
So how long can you go without shred happening? When it comes to braids, not long at all! I don't even shed much on the regular, but my hair goes crazy with all the tension and friction in braids, even if it's quite loose.

Any products you use to keep it looking nice and new? When I used to braid, Argan oil would help shine it up and look fresh and sleeky :)

Are there certain braid styles that shred faster than others on you? I haven't tried too many, but they all seem to have the same 'reaction' from my hair, lol.

AmaryllisRed
May 15th, 2018, 09:40 AM
It's instant.
If ever you see a picture of my braid and it's NOT shredding everywhere, that picture was taken within 30 seconds of making the braid and is no longer an accurate representation. :)

Milady_DeWinter
May 15th, 2018, 10:57 AM
I actually don't pay much attention to it lol. If I need it to look esp nice for an event, I just apply a hair cream first. And also I'm prepared to remade itif necessary :)

Groovy Granny
May 15th, 2018, 11:09 AM
Mine rarely sheds, even when wearing it to sleep; unusual because I have new growth from crown to hemline that curls.

It could be because it is one length, and I apply a few drops of Biosilk Lite Serum from my ears down :hmm:

ravenskey
May 15th, 2018, 11:20 AM
It's instant.
If ever you see a picture of my braid and it's NOT shredding everywhere, that picture was taken within 30 seconds of making the braid and is no longer an accurate representation. :)

Same here - it's the curse of frizzy hair - in my case anyway!

Joules
May 15th, 2018, 11:53 AM
I misread the title as "How fast does your brain shred?"

Very, very fast... :rollin:

So how long can you go without shred happening? - idk, a couple of hours. Never paid attention. I don't really care, tbh.

Any products you use to keep it looking nice and new? - well, when I oil my hair it looks nicer longer, but I don't do it on purpose. I oil my hair because my hair gets dry and tangly, oils act as silicones. Nicer looking braid is a side-effect.

Are there certain braid styles that shred faster than others on you? - fishtail shreds faster, I guess. Again, I don't see anything bad in a messy braid, at least not that dramatic. I embraced my frizz and I embrace messy braids. I myself am a mess, and I accept it, too :D

AutobotsAttack
May 15th, 2018, 12:14 PM
My hair texture doesn’t call for my braids to be smooth looking. The curls I still have in my hair do their own thing regardless of if they’re in a braid or not. I don’t particularly call it braid shred though. That’s just how my texture looks in braids. A fluffy texture.

Twists appear to look the same way. I don’t really how long I can go per say, because I find the fluffy braid look to be completely normal.

MoonRabbit
May 15th, 2018, 09:17 PM
I misread the title as "How fast does your brain shred?"

Very, very fast... :rollin:

So how long can you go without shred happening? - idk, a couple of hours. Never paid attention. I don't really care, tbh.

Any products you use to keep it looking nice and new? - well, when I oil my hair it looks nicer longer, but I don't do it on purpose. I oil my hair because my hair gets dry and tangly, oils act as silicones. Nicer looking braid is a side-effect.

Are there certain braid styles that shred faster than others on you? - fishtail shreds faster, I guess. Again, I don't see anything bad in a messy braid, at least not that dramatic. I embraced my frizz and I embrace messy braids. I myself am a mess, and I accept it, too :D

That's a really good outlook. As as fellow wavy I am still trying to embrace my frizz. I love how it gives my hair character and volume but sometimes I would like to have a sleek braid for longer than an hour. If only my hair liked oils.

neko_kawaii
May 15th, 2018, 09:38 PM
Pretty much instantly unless it is bunned, then I can’t see it.

Braid shred is great for s&d!

leayellena
May 15th, 2018, 11:00 PM
wow surprised to see this thread! I just thought only 1a shreds like crazy as Riona´s (http://rionashairblog.blogspot.de/) is 1a. I thought I still have breakage(?) although I don´t see split ends.
I was always wondering how holistic habits (I don´t trust that youtuber anymore) does her super big sleak braids. I also found some youtube tutorials: braid wet hair (haha not gonna happen), apply leave-in conditioner (it doesn´t work, probably holistic habits takes her photos just right after braiding her hair) and aply hair spray (yeah I have to buy hairspray for that... not).
my braid shreds in 15 min unless my hair is oily or bunned.

lithostoic
May 16th, 2018, 06:49 AM
Almost instantly, like yours!

MusicalSpoons
May 16th, 2018, 08:43 AM
Pretty much instantly unless it is bunned, then I can’t see it.

Braid shred is great for s&d!

So true! :laugh: I recently had to braid my hair so I could wear a hat in the sun, and I took my hair scissors with me :grin:

Shredding is the main reason I only very rarely wear braids - ends throughout the length are exposed to the elements and friction and everything else. (In the above-mentioned instance, I looped it twice so it wouldn't rub against anything.) Fatigue issues and braiding don't mix either, so it all works out rather well really.

ETA: the shredding is instant, before I get anywhere near finishing!

blushy
May 16th, 2018, 09:14 AM
My braid shreds before I even finish!! Luckily I usually only wear braids at night before bed, so it doesn't really matter to me (also messy braids are cute :o )

Alibran
May 16th, 2018, 09:23 AM
Mine doesn't, really ... well, I suppose it would eventually, but I don't tend to leave it in the same style longer than a day. It's quite nice because it's the only time it doesn't look like there should be birds living in it. I - partially - follow the curly girl method, though, so my hair tends to have a lot of conditioner and oil in it, which is probably what makes it hold together.

MoonRabbit
May 16th, 2018, 09:44 AM
wow surprised to see this thread! I just thought only 1a shreds like crazy as Riona´s (http://rionashairblog.blogspot.de/) is 1a. I thought I still have breakage(?) although I don´t see split ends.
I was always wondering how holistic habits (I don´t trust that youtuber anymore) does her super big sleak braids. I also found some youtube tutorials: braid wet hair (haha not gonna happen), apply leave-in conditioner (it doesn´t work, probably holistic habits takes her photos just right after braiding her hair) and aply hair spray (yeah I have to buy hairspray for that... not).
my braid shreds in 15 min unless my hair is oily or bunned.

Since hair is constantly shedding and regrowing you will have strands at different lengths. Those "baby" hairs can become loose from the braid and that is what the shred is. Breakage would definitely do the same but I doubt all your shorter hairs is just breakage. It's completely normal to have shred. Though some are very lucky and don't really have much. When TorrinPaige did her S&D video her worn braid looked 98% better than mine. She only has little hairs poking out while mine tends to be 2 to 3 inches and looks like I clipped some hairy spider legs onto the sides of my head.

Queerantine
May 16th, 2018, 10:49 AM
Immediately - on the plus side, I braid super fast now after all the practice redoing them. :rolleyes:

AmaryllisRed
May 16th, 2018, 12:34 PM
Yes! I almost always do s&d on my braid shreds!

Ligeia Noire
May 16th, 2018, 07:58 PM
Mine shreds while I am making it :p let alone after an a while, that is why I wish I did not have face framing bits because it only makes it worse, so yeah my braid looks decent for pictures that are taken within 5 minutes :p

longmane
May 19th, 2018, 01:25 PM
My braids can look decent for 24 only

Simsy
May 19th, 2018, 08:19 PM
If the hair is wet or damp, it doesn’t start to shred for a few hours at least. If I bun the braid, I can expect to get a few days out of it at least before it starts to look ratty. If, however, I braid dry hair and just leave it down; I will look like I shoved the braid through a hedge n about 20 mins. That being said, my braids only shred so far, and after a while they will just stay as is until I pull them out.

LaLola73
May 20th, 2018, 12:22 AM
My starts shredding within 5 minutes. Sometimes oil helps a little bit.

Stray_mind
May 20th, 2018, 01:03 AM
Mine used to hold pretty long, i think a few hours, before it started to really shred.

Hairkay
May 20th, 2018, 04:13 AM
My hair texture doesn’t call for my braids to be smooth looking. The curls I still have in my hair do their own thing regardless of if they’re in a braid or not. I don’t particularly call it braid shred though. That’s just how my texture looks in braids. A fluffy texture.

Twists appear to look the same way. I don’t really how long I can go per say, because I find the fluffy braid look to be completely normal.

I don't think I have braid shred. My hair normally does the fluffy look too. I have textured hair. It can stay in plaits/braids for days/weeks. I only keep it like that for a week at a time because I rinse my hair daily.

Hasse
May 20th, 2018, 07:38 AM
Within a few hours.

guska
May 20th, 2018, 07:58 AM
2 minutes after braiding. Because my hair strands are too smooth (or should I say, slippery) they kind of "repel" each other. The only thing I can say is that the results aren't pretty :/

SparrowWings
May 20th, 2018, 10:31 AM
It depends entirely on the type and location of the braid. Realistically, it shreds/frizzes as soon as it touches anything (including itself), which happens even while I'm making it, but that's fairly minor and I ignore it. After that, if I bun it, it gets no worse unless/until I put my head against something. If I try to pin it up as a coronet braid, it goes downhill fast, because I really can't use pins and it takes far too much handling and redoing. If it's left hanging down, pulled around front, all the shoulder/neck rubbing makes it awful, and then all the fuzziness tickles my neck which makes me move it around even more, and it just spirals into a tangled-while-braided mess -- so I avoid side braids like the plague. But if I leave it hanging down my back:

That being said, my braids only shred so far, and after a while they will just stay as is until I pull them out.
By the second day, mostly from sleeping on it, it looks worse, but during that first day, it reaches "critical shred" and stays about the same.

And that's all assuming it's a tight braid. Loose braids, forget it. I might as well not have bothered within an hour or two (depending on how active I am), because I probably lost the elastic at the end somewhere, too, so much shredded out, and it's simply unbraiding!