PDA

View Full Version : Growing out Bangs

Cybercat
May 15th, 2018, 07:35 AM
I have a real challenge here for myself. Hoping I am not only one having issues. Got bangs and want to grow them out but having them long drives me nuts.

OK here my story.
All my life I have had SL to APL back hair. But I have a very short forehead a round face very oily skin. All this leads to extra problems with growing bangs. Now seem to have other allergy issues that bangs poking checks seems to make worse. That just might be my tolerance for long bangs. I have center part and do so call wings or feather sides starting at bangs.

I cut my bangs from 2 months to 3 month span. I dye my hair so I get to see how fast it's growing. But if I am pushing bangs away from eye they get chopped to eyebrow at front to eye corner at back sometime even further back. I really need support not to do this. What I am hoping is IF I can grow them out I can then tie them back like everyone does then won't have issues.

So am I alone in this issue of cutting bangs and sides because they irritate me? How do other handle the grow out process with reaching for shears? I did find some really cool hair jewelery for them when they get a bit longer and I can put them in tiny Twisters which will help alot. But still need to grow out first.

Joules
May 15th, 2018, 09:32 AM
I had exactly zero problems growing out my bangs. I wore them loose up until the point when they became slightly uncomfortable. After than I braided them into French braids, and got myself some cute headbands for days when I had no time for braiding. With some practice you can tuck even tiny hairs into a French braid, I used to braid my bangs if I accidentally cut them too short, one time I cut them so short they covered only half of my forehead. My forehead is high, but still. So I know what I'm talking about.

It took me 6 months to grow my bangs from "eye-length" to the length when I could finally tuck them behind my ears and tie them back into a high ponytail or bun. If you want to grow out your bangs, you have to figure out how to get them off your face, learn to braid, buy hair accessories, whatever. When you reach that point when you can tie them back or tuck them behind your ears, you're good, but up until then it's only gonna get increasingly annoying the longer your bangs grow.

MoonRabbit
May 15th, 2018, 09:39 AM
I didn't have a problem growing them out. I looked at it as getting many different styles from them at each stage. Starting at eyebrow with straight across bang, then grows into side swept and eventually becomes beautiful face framing layers. Though, this was in the time when I washed and heat styled my hair every. single. day. I don't know how I would manage them now with my routine.

As for what can help you. Will Power. Don't keep yourself in this cycle of hate, the more you cut the more you are going to regret it. Remind yourself every time you feel the urge to cut, how you felt last time after cutting. Also coming here for support will certainly help!

Glitch
May 15th, 2018, 09:44 AM
Oh you are never alone ;) If you are experiencing some issue, chances are many others are struggling as well :laugh: Don't worry, you will reach your goals with some time and patience! I would know - I've grown out (as much as I could before I couldn't take it anymore) and chopped my bangs well over a dozen times over the years. Actually, it was really difficult to not grab some scissors and get rid of my current ones. But yesterday, I finally didn't feel bothered because they are now long enough to not really bother my face anymore. They're basically long layers now :) I'm so glad I didn't give up! This doesn't mean I won't want bangs again though, lol.

What helped me was just clipping them with a bobby pin, and then throwing the top back hair over it, somewhat like this (https://img.buzzfeed.com/buzzfeed-static/static/2015-05/9/15/enhanced/webdr01/enhanced-31031-1431200077-7.png?downsize=715:*&output-format=auto&output-quality=auto), on both sides. It kept them from poking me and I didn't think about them much.

I never tried or had any hair jewelry at the time, so I can't suggest anything there, but anything that keeps them away from sight should help! :)

nycelle
May 15th, 2018, 10:14 AM
I never had an issue growing mine out either.

Once they got too long, I'd change my part and wear them on the side, or use a headband to keep them off my face.

If oily skin is an issue, all you need to do is just wash the bangs more often.

elsiedeluxe
May 15th, 2018, 10:20 AM
When I was growing out bangs 20 years ago, I braided them back with just a little bit of my longer hair. It became a skinny braid that flowed in with the rest of my hair, and kept the bangs out of my face. I did this every day for a year. It worked.

Lady Stardust
May 15th, 2018, 10:24 AM
I just push them out of the way, I’ve never given it much thought. I suppose the most annoying stage is when they’re at the same level as your eyes, but that’s over really quickly.

Some people do a lace braid to keep them out of the way but I’ve never felt the need.

Cybercat
May 15th, 2018, 01:07 PM
I haven't learn to braid different hair lengthens into one braid. Also there is really nothing there to braid since side hair is all cut in short feathering. Bangs now are at bottom eye level. It's when the get to mid cheek and lower I have problem but I will have to bring and bear it. This will be my first ever and I do mean ever growing out bangs.

NightSister
May 15th, 2018, 01:18 PM
Growing bangs just sucks, it really does. The tiny hairs that pop out of styles, the almost-tucked-behind-the ear pieces that fall out and get sucked up your nose, the greasy stringy-ness! I don't know how everyone else here is so nonchalant about this, lol! I've been growing out bettie bangs for a year and my shortest piece is a little longer than chin length. Every time I wanted to cut, I let the misery remind me of what I would have to live through if I decided to grow again!

My advice is get some of those triangle hair clips and find a part you like, and just pin em back till you don't have to anymore. It may feel stupid cause they will be higher up on the head, and possibly close to the forehead, but as they get longer you will clip them farther and farther back till you don't see them in the mirror anymore. Once you can grab them into a topknot, you are golden! I literally put my hair in a topknot for a few months and forgot all about them. Benign neglect is especially helpful when growing bangs.

spidermom
May 15th, 2018, 05:37 PM
I didn't have issues, either. A trick I used a lot was to do a lace braid going across the top of my head about a half inch higher than the hair line at my forehead. I'd go from above one ear, across the top, and down to the other ear, then pin the end of the braid into place. Easy, quick, and looked good too.

Cybercat
May 15th, 2018, 05:47 PM
Growing bangs just sucks, it really does. The tiny hairs that pop out of styles, the almost-tucked-behind-the ear pieces that fall out and get sucked up your nose, the greasy stringy-ness! I don't know how everyone else here is so nonchalant about this, lol! I've been growing out bettie bangs for a year and my shortest piece is a little longer than chin length. Every time I wanted to cut, I let the misery remind me of what I would have to live through if I decided to grow again!

My advice is get some of those triangle hair clips and find a part you like, and just pin em back till you don't have to anymore. It may feel stupid cause they will be higher up on the head, and possibly close to the forehead, but as they get longer you will clip them farther and farther back till you don't see them in the mirror anymore. Once you can grab them into a topknot, you are golden! I literally put my hair in a topknot for a few months and forgot all about them. Benign neglect is especially helpful when growing bangs.

Actually you gave me a idea. Years ago I made some hanging hair art that uses this mini snap combs. They would be perfect for this I think. Need to find more so I can make more. Got the idea from one of my books I was reading.

Obsidian
May 15th, 2018, 06:57 PM
I hate growing bangs but my hair is wavy enough they look awful short. Right now they are just to my bottom eyelids and I hate it.

Parting on the side doesn't help, they still fall in my eyes. My go to style right now is headbands or snap clips. Neither look very good but at least it keeps my wild hair somewhat under control.