PDA

View Full Version : Silicone Free Conditioner

CeramicUnicorns
May 14th, 2018, 09:54 PM
Any recommendations? I’m on the hunt for a good conditioner without silicone! My hair gets weighed down by conditioner, but I feel like it benefits from it otherwise. I figure trying a silicone-free one is a good next step!

renia22
May 15th, 2018, 07:54 AM
It’s hard to find a good one because it seems like the ones that don’t contain silicones contains oils and butters instead, which I find to be even worse. But I did recently find Biolage Volumebloom gel conditioner. Doesn’t weigh my hair down at all.

lapushka
May 15th, 2018, 12:21 PM
Almost all Shea Moisture conditioners are silicone-free.

Also the Garnier Whole Blends olive conditioner is silicone-free, someone on here once said (sorry can't recall your name).

Glitch
May 15th, 2018, 01:13 PM
I don't have much experience with silicone-free conditioners and have had trouble finding a good one too :(
Is it necessary to always moisturize after since they don't provide the usual slip/coated strands? Or has anyone found one that feels close enough to silicone conditioners? I'm fine with moderate silicone use but am super curious!

Joules
May 15th, 2018, 01:29 PM
Also the Garnier Whole Blends olive conditioner is silicone-free, someone on here once said (sorry can't recall your name).

Depends on where you live. In Russia this line is packed with silicones, at least the products that I checked. Olive conditionerand mask have cones, honey conditioner and mask, too, and some others. There are other products from Garnier that are silicone-free, but not the Whole Blends line. So make sure to check the ingredients.

I don't have much experience with silicone-free conditioners and have had trouble finding a good one too :(
Is it necessary to always moisturize after since they don't provide the usual slip/coated strands? Or has anyone found one that feels close enough to silicone conditioners? I'm fine with moderate silicone use but am super curious!

Why do you need this slip, anyway? Moisturized hair with "closed" cuticles doesn't get matted and it doesn't need siliconey slip to be easy to detangle. If your hair is naturally on the dry side, you're gonna need leave-ins regardless of whether you're silicone-free or not. I've been cone-free for 8 years and from the moment I got the moisture back into my hair my hair has been great (or should I say from the moment I figured out the routine). Over those 8 years I've used a toning conditioner that contains cones a couple of times, and after being silicone-free this slip feels weird and unnatural.

P.S. I just got out of the shower, and my hair is slippery after cone-free co-washing. I guess your hair just gotta get used to it.

mwallingford
May 15th, 2018, 01:30 PM
Silk 18 is amazing! But it's somewhere around the price of 10 dollars a bottle on Amazon. I think it's fantastic, but it's not the cheapest. I usually mix it in with another conditioner to spread it out a bit

nycelle
May 15th, 2018, 01:51 PM
I wanna mention something that's very important when it comes to conditioners and how they act in your hair- the climate. The same conditioners in different parts of the world will act completely different in your hair.

The members here that live in low humidity climates are lucky. Their hair won't get too frizzy, won't get sticky, and the same products that work great for you there, may work horribly for you where I am. I noticed this a lot when I traveled for work.

With that said- I've been cone free for almost two months now. My hair feels soft and healthy, but with the warmer weather, and increase in humidity, I'm now getting frizz again and I hate frizz. So unless I find a product that works as well as coney conditioners, I'm going back to silicones.

It's nice to be silicone free if you're all into natural, but if your hair does better with cones, there's nothing wrong with that either. So Glitch, if you can't find a cone free that works as well as cones, don't worry about it.

Joules
May 15th, 2018, 01:57 PM
With that said- I've been cone free for almost two months now. My hair feels soft and healthy, but with the warmer weather, and increase in humidity, I'm now getting frizz again and I hate frizz. So unless I find a product that works as well as coney conditioners, I'm going back to silicones.

I live in high humidity climate, and I noticed that my frizz levels are the same with or without cones, Even when I bathed my hair in silicone leave-ins, I still got insane frizz. So for some people this problem is unavoidable :D

NightSister
May 15th, 2018, 02:01 PM
So far I am using and loving a Love Beauty And Planet conditioner - the Coconut water one.

I concur with Joules on the above, when I lived in Galveston, TX no amount of silicone could contain the frizz. It was nothing but braids all day every day... But of course, everyone is different.

nycelle
May 15th, 2018, 02:03 PM
I live in high humidity climate, and I noticed that my frizz levels are the same with or without cones, Even when I bathed my hair in silicone leave-ins, I still got insane frizz. So for some people this problem is unavoidable :D

Really? If you were still using cones, I have an HG product for frizz. It's actually the only one that's worked for my hair out of the literally hundreds I've tried over the years. Plus, it's sooo light, that you can use it every day without your hair getting oily.

Ouai Hair oil. OMG, I've made all my friends with frizz issues try it and they all swear by it. I have two bottles of it now. Travel size, and the one I keep at home. I see myself going back to it this summer.

nycelle
May 15th, 2018, 02:04 PM
I'm in NYC, the humidity here is horrid in the summer. I mean it's so wet that you're literally drinking the air. Nothing's worked for me either other than that one product (Ouai Hair Oil)

NightSister
May 15th, 2018, 02:21 PM
Really? If you were still using cones, I have an HG product for frizz. It's actually the only one that's worked for my hair out of the literally hundreds I've tried over the years. Plus, it's sooo light, that you can use it every day without your hair getting oily.

Ouai Hair oil. OMG, I've made all my friends with frizz issues try it and they all swear by it. I have two bottles of it now. Travel size, and the one I keep at home. I see myself going back to it this summer.

Thanks for the tip, def will give it a try this summer!

lapushka
May 15th, 2018, 02:23 PM
Depends on where you live. In Russia this line is packed with silicones, at least the products that I checked. Olive conditionerand mask have cones, honey conditioner and mask, too, and some others. There are other products from Garnier that are silicone-free, but not the Whole Blends line. So make sure to check the ingredients.

It does depend on where you live. In Belgium they aren't silicone-free either. But she was asking for the US, I believe, and there they are, to my knowledge.

lapushka
May 15th, 2018, 02:25 PM
Why do you need this slip, anyway? Moisturized hair with "closed" cuticles doesn't get matted and it doesn't need siliconey slip to be easy to detangle. If your hair is naturally on the dry side, you're gonna need leave-ins regardless of whether you're silicone-free or not. I've been cone-free for 8 years and from the moment I got the moisture back into my hair my hair has been great (or should I say from the moment I figured out the routine). Over those 8 years I've used a toning conditioner that contains cones a couple of times, and after being silicone-free this slip feels weird and unnatural.

P.S. I just got out of the shower, and my hair is slippery after cone-free co-washing. I guess your hair just gotta get used to it.

I beg to differ. My hair needs slip or it is not detanglable at all. So I use silicones if and where I can. I am currently using a lot of things up so I don't have a choice in the matter, but I do feel the difference while brushing when there's been silicones at work.

nycelle
May 15th, 2018, 02:26 PM
Thanks for the tip, def will give it a try this summer!

Get a sample from Sephora first. If you have a problem, I'll drive down to Jersey so you can try it..lol..

Glitch
May 15th, 2018, 02:55 PM

My hair doesn't mat or really tangle, I just like the smooth slip :p While my hair is on the dry side, moisturizing conditioners are more than enough for it - I don't use haircare products, leave ins etc. or want to. And thanks for sharing, that's a lot of experience! Yeah, the intense slip probably is quite unnatural lol!

It's nice to be silicone free if you're all into natural, but if your hair does better with cones, there's nothing wrong with that either. So Glitch, if you can't find a cone free that works as well as cones, don't worry about it.

Thanks nycelle :flower: My hair does like them, I suppose I'm just curious :o

Glitch
May 15th, 2018, 02:58 PM
I beg to differ. My hair needs slip or it is not detanglable at all. So I use silicones if and where I can. I am currently using a lot of things up so I don't have a choice in the matter, but I do feel the difference while brushing when there's been silicones at work.

Yeah :) While my hair doesn't exactly tangle, I really enjoy the slip, and it makes combing through my hair afterwards effortless, like butter. I can imagine it would make detangling a lot easier as well.

Andthetalltrees
May 15th, 2018, 03:39 PM
Recently I found Nature's Gate lavender Peony conditioner on sale at my walmart. I'm extremely impressed by it. I don't usually use silicone free because my hair is horrible about tangling and needed a lot of slip to stay decent. But seriously it's one of the best conditioners I've ever used, It's extremely moisturizing and provides a lot of slip without being heavy. Sometimes I have an issue with my hair not absorbing and being a bit sticky but doesn't seem to be an issue with this. I loved it enough to buy 3 more bottles and I'm not a person who hoards products! I'd compare it to Tresemme naturals.

Dark40
May 15th, 2018, 04:51 PM
I wanna mention something that's very important when it comes to conditioners and how they act in your hair- the climate. The same conditioners in different parts of the world will act completely different in your hair.

The members here that live in low humidity climates are lucky. Their hair won't get too frizzy, won't get sticky, and the same products that work great for you there, may work horribly for you where I am. I noticed this a lot when I traveled for work.

I totally agree with you on that note. The part of the United States where I live which is in the southeast part the humidity is low in the fall and winter months but in the spring and summer months it is always a little higher, and every time I wash my hair. Whether I co-wash it or use shampoo I still get the frizzies. I hate it too. Thanks for mentioning this! :)

Dark40
May 15th, 2018, 04:52 PM
I would say Alberto VO5 conditioners are silicone free, and they are all really good too.

chiapommama
May 15th, 2018, 06:56 PM
Yep the Vo5 is great and Suave Essentials is good too. Loving the Ocean Breeze scent right now. It's got pretty good slip.

MusicalSpoons
May 16th, 2018, 09:12 AM
Yeah :) While my hair doesn't exactly tangle, I really enjoy the slip, and it makes combing through my hair afterwards effortless, like butter. I can imagine it would make detangling a lot easier as well.

I found using the rinse-out oil method (linked in lapushka's signature) gave me enough slip to make detangling easy again. I've only properly tried mineral oil and sweet almond oil with this method, but both work well for me. I know it's an extra product in the routine, but it can be as quick as you want, and using only a small amount each time makes it last a very long time.

ETA: I mainly mention it because it enables me to stick with cheap cone-free conditioners (£1-ish per bottle), plus I have control over how much I use and where/how it's distributed each wash, depending on how my hair has been feeling. Put like that, it almost sounds like plain oiling but for me it's much quicker, requires less oil, and the effects last longer.

lapushka
May 16th, 2018, 09:49 AM
I found using the rinse-out oil method (linked in lapushka's signature) gave me enough slip to make detangling easy again. I've only properly tried mineral oil and sweet almond oil with this method, but both work well for me. I know it's an extra product in the routine, but it can be as quick as you want, and using only a small amount each time makes it last a very long time.

ETA: I mainly mention it because it enables me to stick with cheap cone-free conditioners (£1-ish per bottle), plus I have control over how much I use and where/how it's distributed each wash, depending on how my hair has been feeling. Put like that, it almost sounds like plain oiling but for me it's much quicker, requires less oil, and the effects last longer.

I do it on top of the silicone conditioners, because I want to "preserve" my very ends, as they are very thin due to the layering method I use. So it's not and/or, it's and/and for me. :)

MusicalSpoons
May 16th, 2018, 10:15 AM
Yes, I know some others use cones and ROO too. I added the extra bit because that's how it related to the OP :) (I stopped using cones well over a year before I tried the ROO method, so it was not related to my decision about cones either)

Glitch
May 16th, 2018, 10:38 AM

Thank you MusicalSpoons! What a smart idea, I'll keep it in mind :) I unfortunately had a reaction to sweet almond oil last night, so I'm taking a long break from oils, but haven't tried mineral oil. Sounds good!

I do it on top of the silicone conditioners, because I want to "preserve" my very ends, as they are very thin due to the layering method I use. So it's not and/or, it's and/and for me. :)

So to be clear, you oil and then condition, right? And the conditioner is still able to penetrate the hair? I'll read more of your MO thread soon.

lapushka
May 16th, 2018, 12:08 PM
So to be clear, you oil and then condition, right? And the conditioner is still able to penetrate the hair? I'll read more of your MO thread soon.

Oh Glitch, I have no issue explaining. But yes, do read the thread. :) :thumbsup:

I WCC, so I wash, then condition, then after I rinsed, I put the oil on the last 4/5 inches of my lengths, and then smack my second conditioner onto it immediately (I used to first rinse, then condition) and then let the combo sit for 2 min. That seems to work the best.

Yes, it can still penetrate. And I owe the good condition of my thin ends (due to layering) to it!

Glitch
May 16th, 2018, 04:09 PM
Oh Glitch, I have no issue explaining. But yes, do read the thread. :) :thumbsup:

I WCC, so I wash, then condition, then after I rinsed, I put the oil on the last 4/5 inches of my lengths, and then smack my second conditioner onto it immediately (I used to first rinse, then condition) and then let the combo sit for 2 min. That seems to work the best.

Yes, it can still penetrate. And I owe the good condition of my thin ends (due to layering) to it!

On it! :o
Thank you a lot for explaining! I'm a very visual person so sometimes I get mixed up :laugh:
I'm planning on trying this out later on. I've never heard of it before and it sounds great - can't wait :)

lapushka
May 16th, 2018, 04:20 PM
On it! :o
Thank you a lot for explaining! I'm a very visual person so sometimes I get mixed up :laugh:
I'm planning on trying this out later on. I've never heard of it before and it sounds great - can't wait :)

Do start slow. I have decanted my baby oil into a pump bottle now, but it used to be in a dropper bottle, and I started with 4/5 drops of it, spread through palms and worked into the ends, and this way I worked my way up to 10 drops. Nowadays that's about one pump of the pump bottle (it is stingy) and I do it that way. But go veeery slowly, especially with baby oil!

Glitch
May 16th, 2018, 04:39 PM
Do start slow. I have decanted my baby oil into a pump bottle now, but it used to be in a dropper bottle, and I started with 4/5 drops of it, spread through palms and worked into the ends, and this way I worked my way up to 10 drops. Nowadays that's about one pump of the pump bottle (it is stingy) and I do it that way. But go veeery slowly, especially with baby oil!

Thanks! I'm taking a break from all oils due to a recent reaction to one, and will definitely take my time with attempting any future oil experiments! :)

lapushka
May 17th, 2018, 06:48 AM
Thanks! I'm taking a break from all oils due to a recent reaction to one, and will definitely take my time with attempting any future oil experiments! :)

Very understandable! :) :flower:

Astrid Carlisle
May 18th, 2018, 03:36 AM
May I ask? Is it absolutely a must to use a conditioner? Can we not switch it for a hair mask? Hair masks usually work better in softening my hair and seem to have the same effect, only better than a conditioner.

mwallingford
May 18th, 2018, 06:28 AM
May I ask? Is it absolutely a must to use a conditioner? Can we not switch it for a hair mask? Hair masks usually work better in softening my hair and seem to have the same effect, only better than a conditioner.

Hello! I'm not sure this is accurate, but I believe that a mask is like a more nourishing conditioner and it sounds as if it works a little better than regular conditioner for you. I don't see why it would be a problem to use, and it may even be better for you in the long run. Welcome to the LHC by the way! :flowers:

Astrid Carlisle
May 18th, 2018, 07:10 AM
Thank you very much, that settles my worries then! :) And thank you for the welcoming, I'm thrilled to be here!!! :D I started CO washing a week ago, and I only wash once a week, so I'm curious to see how that goes

lapushka
May 18th, 2018, 07:57 AM

I switch between conditioner and hair masks, depending on what I have on hand. I use the WCC method, so I "condition" twice, sometimes that is 2 conditioners, sometimes 1 mask and 1 conditioner, and sometimes 2 masks. It varies. I find that sometimes, depending on what you use there is barely a difference, sometimes even the conditioners are more "powerful". It all depends.

I typically, because I have drier length, use a conditioner or a mask for dry, damaged hair, as those are the most moisturizing products on the market. Do be careful if you have hair that is easily weighed down, though!

sillyme
May 19th, 2018, 01:52 PM
I second the Nature's Gate Conditioner. I got the Jasmine & Kombucha‎, also at Walmart. I've tried many, many "natural" shampoo/conditioners over the years, but this is the first time I've actually bought the second bottle of any one brand. I don't know about the Lavender scented, but the Jasmine conditioner is very thick. So thick, in fact, that I had to force some out of the bottle and into a little tub so that I could use it in the shower. It takes very little of this conditioner for my thick, fine, short hair. It has a light, sweet, flowery scent, and makes my hair so shiny.

chrissy-b
May 19th, 2018, 02:49 PM
Matrix Biolage Conditioning Balm is cone and protein free and it’s amazing. They *may* have reformulated it and added cones so check the ingredients but Sally’s carries a dupe and it works the same (and is still cone-free). It’s the best conditioner I’ve ever used and I always try other products and keep coming back to it because nothing else compares.

I second Nature’s Gate (I like the Hemp & Argan Oil) and Desert Essence coconut conditioner is a great one too!

MusicalSpoons
May 20th, 2018, 11:25 AM
Thank you MusicalSpoons! What a smart idea, I'll keep it in mind :) I unfortunately had a reaction to sweet almond oil last night, so I'm taking a long break from oils, but haven't tried mineral oil. Sounds good!

Yiiiikes, I see from the Sweet Almond Oil thread what a reaction you had! I'm sorry you experienced that :flower: Yes, totally sensible to avoid all oils for now! I also find coconut oil makes my lips dry and, after a few uses, my skin too. Eating it makes my throat scratchy, so I guess it's not the oil for me! (Thankfully not such a reaction that I have to avoid using coconut-derived ingredients though, for now at least.)

If/when you do venture into oils again, mineral oil should be safe as it's of inorganic origin, so no proteins to trigger any reaction :)

Glitch
May 20th, 2018, 02:25 PM
Yiiiikes, I see from the Sweet Almond Oil thread what a reaction you had! I'm sorry you experienced that :flower: Yes, totally sensible to avoid all oils for now! I also find coconut oil makes my lips dry and, after a few uses, my skin too. Eating it makes my throat scratchy, so I guess it's not the oil for me! (Thankfully not such a reaction that I have to avoid using coconut-derived ingredients though, for now at least.)

If/when you do venture into oils again, mineral oil should be safe as it's of inorganic origin, so no proteins to trigger any reaction :)

Aww, thank you for this! :heartbeat
Wow, it's really comforting to know coconut oil can do that to others as well, and that it wasn't just something random with me! I'm really glad you didn't have a reaction with it!

And thank you for sharing that, I didn't know :o I appreciate it <3

Astrid Carlisle
May 21st, 2018, 03:35 AM
Aww, thank you for this! :heartbeat
Wow, it's really comforting to know coconut oil can do that to others as well, and that it wasn't just something random with me! I'm really glad you didn't have a reaction with it!

And thank you for sharing that, I didn't know :o I appreciate it <3

Coconut oil works nicely on my hair (I think, I just put it just in case so they don't get too dry), but I once applied it on my face, and it was terrible. I think it made me get a bit of pimples and it wouln't soak in (and i put a , while usually my skin is always clear.

Astrid Carlisle
May 21st, 2018, 03:35 AM
a small amount*

Liminally
May 21st, 2018, 06:53 AM
Brazilian Bond Builder’s b3 color care conditioner
https://brazilianbondbuilder.com/store/product/?PartNum=BB3302

Bit of a splurge, yeah, but it’s divine. It’s lightweight, makes your hair feel amazing, and adds shine like no one’s business.

The Devacurl One Condition Delight is also nice. Smells great, lightweight, makes hair soft, not a cone in sight.

Oh yeah forgot to mention: while both of these provide enough slip to detangle, the b3 has slightly more (understatement actually; it’s quite slippery) if that’s really important to you. When my hair is really misbehaving sometimes I have to mix a little bit of the b3 into the OC Delight to get it to really go through my hair.

reilly0167
May 21st, 2018, 05:34 PM

I am currently using the garnier whole blends in coconut water and aloe both are silicone free.