PDA

View Full Version : Once Upon a Time...

LadyArwen
May 13th, 2018, 10:25 PM
Hi. I was wondering if any of you have hair stories.

1. Was there a moment in your life, where you decided to have long hair? What were the circumstances?

2. How has your hair gone with you through different seasons of life, did you cut it, style it differently, or grow it out?

3. As your hair grew, did you notice your clothing style changed too ( it did for me!)?

4. Why in a world of straightening, dyeing, excessive heat styling, and frequent trips to the salon are you choosing to reject a lot of that and have long hair instead?

Glitch
May 13th, 2018, 10:52 PM
Was there a moment in your life, where you decided to have long hair? What were the circumstances? I always wanted long hair, but also really loved shorter styles so it was hard to commit. However, after seeing a music video featuring a girl with beautiful waist length hair, I craved long hair badly. Her hemline was thick and blunt, and everything about her flowy pretty hair really sparkled up my eyes :o

How has your hair gone with you through different seasons of life, did you cut it, style it differently, or grow it out? I've damaged it for the majority of its timeline, but the look and style generally remained the same (always down, no products). However, during stressful periods, I would often hack it off on impulse and then regret it later, lol.

As your hair grew, did you notice your clothing style changed too ( it did for me!)? Nope. I've always liked dainty and cute things in general and not much has changed over the years.

Why in a world of straightening, dyeing, excessive heat styling, and frequent trips to the salon are you choosing to reject a lot of that and have long hair instead? I don't do the above because I want long and healthy hair, with a thick hemline, and damaging it just won't allow that for me. I, personally, don't like the look of long hair if it's damaged, at least visibly. Healthy hair is the goal ;)

Corvana
May 14th, 2018, 12:31 AM
1. Was there a moment in your life, where you decided to have long hair? What were the circumstances?
It was about two years ago? I missed having longer hair (I had a mohawk at the time), and first thought I'd grow the mohawk out long. Then later on I realized that I wanted all of my hair to be long, so that was my new goal.

2. How has your hair gone with you through different seasons of life, did you cut it, style it differently, or grow it out?
For most of my childhood it was ifk like BSL to waist? Or hip? Long, but definitely shorter than classic. Then when I was 13 I went through a bunch of big changes (puberty, parents divorcing, grandmother died, moved from California to Texas) and got a stacked bob (yikes lol) because "new me!" or whatever. I grew that out, and then from like 14 to 25 I would grow my hair then cut it anywhere between jaw and shoulder, grow it then cut it. The longest I went was to waist, that I know of, but I think the average was about BSL? Then I had a pixie from 25 to 27 when I went for the mohawk.

3. As your hair grew, did you notice your clothing style changed too ( it did for me!)?
Not really. My style isn't much of a "style" anyway. It's mostly just "clothes" :laugh:

4. Why in a world of straightening, dyeing, excessive heat styling, and frequent trips to the salon are you choosing to reject a lot of that and have long hair instead?
I'm lazy, honestly. So I've never straightened my hair a ton, or curled it a ton. And generally I've never had a ton of money, so going to a salon has always been a very rare special "treat" or whatever. Dye I used to do a lot, though! Black until I was like 21 or 22? And then auburn, and then purple and pink! But the damage that the bleach did, plus all the effort made me stop. Box dye is tempting, because I do miss being a redhead! But not tempting enough to do. Same with henna.

Milady_DeWinter
May 14th, 2018, 01:00 AM
Was there a moment in your life, where you decided to have long hair? What were the circumstances? I have had long hair since my 20's, after growing a pixie: from waist to BCL over the years, that's my comfy spot. There were also more reasons for me to have long hair back then; I've wrote about it in the My accent braid thread that you can click on my siggy :) Then, in november 2016 I decided to dye my hair and destroyed it totally, having to cut back to BSL. Some months later, i found this lovely place! And my goal of waist/hip (that i've already achieved) started increasing...

How has your hair gone with you through different seasons of life, did you cut it, style it differently, or grow it out? I damaged it with dyes just one time, but enough for a lifetime. Henna was awful for me too. Back at my teens i used the hair iron every day while growing my pixie, as it was hard to accept my curly hair (it changed in my teens, before I had 1c/2a hair, that became 2c/3a). And all the air drying heat during my whole life... Not anymore!

As your hair grew, did you notice your clothing style changed too ( it did for me!)? nope, actually I like the very same clothes than when I was 15, but I'm much less edgy now (no more spiked collars lol). I'm still sorta rock: leather jackets, military boots, tops with cleavage and attitude are made for me. colors: black, red, deep turquoise, lots of jeans, hoodies under my leather jacket, sexy dresses in summer... That's so me. I guess it won't change :shrug: BUT, now I put my hair up. I still don't like much how it looks, but I've used to it now, and it's actually comfy. I'm so happy to have learned so much protective styles too! before, I had my hair down 24/7, "sometimes" braided on one side. That's all.

Why in a world of straightening, dyeing, excessive heat styling, and frequent trips to the salon are you choosing to reject a lot of that and have long hair instead? Because it suits me. Because it's cool. Because it's more us. We humans are so experts in destroying our essence with chemicals and evil things that ourselves invented, and then trying (and never achieving) to repare the damage with new chemicals/damaging stuff. See garbage food/diets, dyes/miracle products. There are tons of examples. I'm just sick of that play: my hair is naturally beautiful (as all of yours is), so I'm going to rock it the best that I can. I love long hair, I don't care if it's fashion or not... I've never been into fashion anyway :p

leayellena
May 14th, 2018, 01:43 AM
Was there a moment in your life, where you decided to have long hair? What were the circumstances? I always hated short hair. It never stayed in one place without styling. Every. Single. Day. And it made me look like a newborn all the time. I was busy with life for 2 years in a row and my hair grew from long pixie to midback. Although it was damaged. Since then on I decided to see how long it will grow and take care of it.

How has your hair gone with you through different seasons of life, did you cut it, style it differently, or grow it out? yes. Wash every 2 days with SLS/sles. No conditioner, but blow frying because "you catch a cold! Bobs and pixies every spring.

As your hair grew, did you notice your clothing style changed too ( it did for me!)? nope, actually I think I will buy a midi skirt one day...

Why in a world of straightening, dyeing, excessive heat styling, and frequent trips to the salon are you choosing to reject a lot of that and have long hair instead? Because it is stupid, I have scoliosis and I can't hold my hands up for more than few seconds. Even when I do French or Dutch braid I relax my muscles on my head (hope it makes sense). Now imagine how because of a muscle stress the curling iron barrel would touch my scalp. Or not being able to take a curling or flat iron off my hair in a second... Blow dryers are expensive and I honestly like to do something interesting and educational like reading instead of blow dying for half an hour. I am also done with hairdressers/hair stylists. It all ends in tears.[/QUOTE]

Joules
May 14th, 2018, 03:42 AM
I didn't care about my hair up until the age of, I would say, 11. Before that I had long hair, then cut it into a bob, then grew long again, then cut it again, the whol thing was going according to whatever my mom wanted. I had pretty drastic haircut at the age of 10, when my hair was cut from MBL wint even blunt hemline into SL with layers and a straight-across fringe. Then at the age of 11 I got introduced to a tv series called Xena Warrior Princess (does anybody remember it?) where the main character - Xena - had BSL hair, straight blunt hemline. Yep. From that moment on I was obsessed with growing long hair and getting rid of layers. At this point my hair growing routine resembled the no-trimming club, where I was getting tiny trims once a year. My hair was dry as a hay stack, I got into serious hair care with oils and stuff much later. But yeah, brunette Lucy Lawless dressed in leather made me want to have long hair :D

2. How has your hair gone with you through different seasons of life, did you cut it, style it differently, or grow it out? Nope. Well, when I was between 11 and 15 years old I had BSL hair with no bangs, at 15 I got bangs, at 16 I gew my hair out to waist and stopped going to hairdressers. After that I had a couple of chops, bu I've never had hair shorter than APL. I changed my bangs a few times before deciding to grow them out at the age of 21, at the age of 23 I dyed my hair with red henna. Other than that, nothing drastic, no awfully bad haircuts at a salon, no hair-melting bleaching sessions, nothing disastrous.

3. As your hair grew, did you notice your clothing style changed too ( it did for me!)? Nope. I'm still at the same point I was when I was 16. I've learned more elaborate and romantic braided styles, but in general not much has changed. I also still feel 16 and don't understand why my friends from school and uni suddenly got so old.

4. Why in a world of straightening, dyeing, excessive heat styling, and frequent trips to the salon are you choosing to reject a lot of that and have long hair instead? I don't care about the world. I fried my ends with a curling wand once, not a nice experience, especially because I had no idea how to take care of it, I just used my normal super harsh sls shampoos and useless cheap siliconey masks that promise you the world on the bottle, and was confused why nothing worked. No deep treatments, no oils, nada. If it happened to me now I think I would be able to salvage my hair, but back then I just had to cut off 10 cm. Also, I had a random urge to get highlights at the age of 13, thankfully I didn't actually do it (my mom said she'll give me money to get it when she gets paid at work, and by the time my mom got paid at work I'd changed my mind, lol), ever since then I had zero desire to use chemical hair dyes. I think at first it was because I'm scared of changing things in my life, then later I discovered how dyes work and it freaked me out. It took me 6 years to prepare myself to dye my hair with henna, and honestly I think it happened only because my boyfriend said "I think it's gonna look great on you" and bought me henna.

At 16-17 years old I became obsessed with not only having long hair, but having it as healthy as possible, so I ditched blowdriers and all that jazz completely, only using it once a year tops. Last time I used blowdryer on my hair was June 2016, and before that I used it in March 2014, so now it's 2+ year breaks, and even then I blowdried my hair on the lowest setting. Last time I styled my hair in a way that can be called damaging was June 2011. It's ok on a daily basis, I'm just wearing braids every day, but when it comes to parties and special occasions it's almost like OCD. I didn't style my hair at all for the New Years party at work this January. When I think about getting married, styling my hair gives me more anxiety than everything else combined. When I think about having kids the first thing that comes to my mind is "postpartum shed is gonna set me back in my hair journey". I'm trying to relax and think of my hair as just hair that grows back, sometimes it works, sometimes doesn't.

YvetteVarie
May 14th, 2018, 05:43 AM
1. Was there a moment in your life, where you decided to have long hair? What were the circumstances? I got inspired when I saw other black women (mostly AA) grow their hair to what I thought were "white women" lengths. I had never known someone of my skin tone to grow hair to waistlength and longer, and I felt inspired to see how long I can grow it out.

2. How has your hair gone with you through different seasons of life, did you cut it, style it differently, or grow it out? I have cycles when I get bored with growing out my hair (usually at BSB or BSL) and I do something stupid which entails getting a major trim. But I have always had short hair for most of my life, until 2012 when I started growing out my hair after getting a chemical cut.

3. As your hair grew, did you notice your clothing style changed too ( it did for me!)? Nope!!! My clothing style has remained the same

4. Why in a world of straightening, dyeing, excessive heat styling, and frequent trips to the salon are you choosing to reject a lot of that and have long hair instead? I am tired of relying on stylists to make me look and feel good. I want to do it on my own, and the longer my hair gets, the easier it is for me. I think the only thing that may derail me is motherhood, I rarely have energy to pamper my hair as much as I used to

Aredhel
May 14th, 2018, 05:53 AM
Sort of. Around 11 years ago, I started watching the Lord of the Rings movies and became obsessed with the Elven aesthetic. I decided then I needed my hair long. ;)

For the most part I've had the same hairstyle for over a decade... sometime in between though, I've had my hair highlighted once, layered once, and fully bleached & dyed red, I guess I had needed a change.... but now I'm back to my usual plain style.

Nope, my fashion sense has always been very fluid, I have 4 completely different clothing styles that I don depending on where I'm going and my mood.

I'm a very lazy person and have always enjoyed defying the "norm" in some sense, so I choose to rebel with my hair if nothing else. ;) Plus, I feel myself with long hair and I am all about being as honest as possible with myself.

nycelle
May 14th, 2018, 06:23 AM
Hi. I was wondering if any of you have hair stories.

No. I've had what I consider long hair most of my life. Aside from one bad haircut when I a kid, I've always kept it between BSL and waist or hip.

I go through stages - colored, highlighted, had bangs, and at some point had layers. Right now my hemline is a blunt U, and angled around my face. I don't like face framing hair to be the same length as the rest. So I'll always have it angled or
maybe go back to layers at some point. Then again, I may do a thick fringe again too.

No.

I'm only rejecting coloring and heat styling (for now.) I still go to a stylist for trims.

For me, it's not just about having long hair, I also want it to look a certain way once it gets to my desired length (waist).
I have no doubt at some point I'll go back to coloring, and also heat styling once in a while. But I'll also be maintaining so the ends will be getting trimmed regularly.

MoonRabbit
May 14th, 2018, 09:34 AM
Always loved long hair but my journey started with Health first. I was tired of being stuck in the cycle of 'hair looks terrible because of heat damage. Must flat iron it to look good" I was in want of not having to style it all the time. Then when I ditched the heat I decided to chop the damage and start the length journey out of curiosity.

Started flat ironing during the Big Heat Bang in the early 2000's. Did a few dye jobs but never got that into it. Chopped to shoulder a few times for a change and had dreads. I mostly had always kept my hair around mbl.

Nope.

Same answer at 1 and 2. Tired of the damage and need to keep flat ironing. Wanting to accept my waves and to have healthy long hair. Never did frequent trips to a salon, only when I wanted a big chop.

nycelle
May 14th, 2018, 10:03 AM
Always loved long hair but my journey started with Health first. I was tired of being stuck in the cycle of 'hair looks terrible because of heat damage. Must flat iron it to look good" I was in want of not having to style it all the time. Then when I ditched the heat I decided to chop the damage and start the length journey out of curiosity.

Started flat ironing during the Big Heat Bang in the early 2000's. Did a few dye jobs but never got that into it. Chopped to shoulder a few times for a change and had dreads. I mostly had always kept my hair around mbl.

Nope.

Same answer at 1 and 2. Tired of the damage and need to keep flat ironing. Wanting to accept my waves and to have healthy long hair. Never did frequent trips to a salon, only when I wanted a big chop.

Moonrabbit- off topic but I love your sig. Always brings a smile to my face as it's one of my fave books. I think I read Hitchhikers Guide at least 5-6 times.

WyntreBlossom
May 14th, 2018, 02:53 PM
Ive always wanted and loved long hair since i was little. I LOVE the swishy swish feeling you get as it moves across your back. I love the way long hair looks with clothing, and how it can compliment your body. I love how many more options you have to style your hair when its long. But my longest length is bsl (which im quick approaching right now) Why? Ill get into that in the next question.

My hair always end up chopped off in the summer. Idk why its just a thing ive always done, even when I don't really plan it. It's just impulsive and I always regret it after the first week.

A tiny bit here and there, but for the most part no.

This question is really important to me. After countless dyes and bleaches and fries and just killing my hair, Im choosing to go natural. Grow out the dye. Get natural products. No more heat, no more yucky bad shampoos, no more salons (I haven't trimmed in over a year), and I think this is the right choice for me. Its time I show my hair how much I love it by treating it right and not killing it anymore.