PDA

View Full Version : Hair Typing help

Wendyp
May 13th, 2018, 11:52 AM
I have yet another quandry ... i used to think my hair was 1a and F, i have since learned its M, and now im not sure its even 1a. this is my hair today after i washed and blow dried it. I have beeen noticing a bit of a wave since i have been taking care of my hair the right way .. does this classify it as 1b or 1c?

https://i.imgur.com/m2PJVzr.jpg

Corvana
May 13th, 2018, 12:46 PM
Hmmm... I'd say 1b. There's some body going on, but not a lot so I don't think it's 1c!

cjk
May 13th, 2018, 12:50 PM
Blow drying? No.

Hair typing is possible only in its untouched, natural state. There is a thread that lists the instructions but you basically wash and condition your hair, then let it air dry without anything more than finger combing. In other words, leave it alone.

As it is, I'd say it's basically straight. But since you blowdried it, I have no idea if it's really straight or if you did a blowout.

MusicalSpoons
May 13th, 2018, 01:00 PM
As there's some wave even after blow-drying, it's definitely not 1a. But a true hair typing pic requires you to wash then leave it alone to air dry.

ETA: oops, that's basically what cjk ​said :doh: though as far as I understand, not even finger-combing either.

Aredhel
May 13th, 2018, 02:00 PM
Would you be able to attempt another hairtyping photo with your hair air-dryed and uncombed, wendyp? :) I stress 'uncombed', because MusicalSpoons is correct, finger combing actually shouldn't happen either. I know from personal experience that my hair type can look quite different when air dried than when blow dried, so it would be easier to help you determine your true type in its most natural state possible! :)

Wendyp
May 13th, 2018, 02:05 PM
wow thank you everyone! I really appreciate it. I never blow dry so i thought its should show either way what my type was :shrug: At my next wash day ill air dry and no finger combing and see what it does. I suspect its probably a 1b. But def not a 1a. amazing what good hair care and natural hair care does for hair. Or mostly natural, i use nightbloomings sanarae on my greys, so not sure if that does anything to the texture or not. I do know that i can see a real difference when my hair is wet between the commerically colored strands and the cassia strands.

Glitch
May 13th, 2018, 02:10 PM
It does look 1b here, though yes, it could be a different type without the blow drying. If your hair still looks more or less the same without it though, I'd go with 1b.

Glitch
May 13th, 2018, 02:12 PM
wow thank you everyone! I really appreciate it. I never blow dry so i thought its should show either way what my type was :shrug: At my next wash day ill air dry and no finger combing and see what it does. I suspect its probably a 1b. But def not a 1a. amazing what good hair care and natural hair care does for hair. Or mostly natural, i use nightbloomings sanarae on my greys, so not sure if that does anything to the texture or not. I do know that i can see a real difference when my hair is wet between the commerically colored strands and the cassia strands.

Ohh, gotcha :) Best of luck figuring it out, all part of the process :D And agreed, it really is amazing what hair care can lead to!

lapushka
May 13th, 2018, 02:57 PM
I would go with 1a/b. It is quite straight for the most part with a tiny hint of a wave in there, but I would not go full on 1b.

Wendyp
May 13th, 2018, 05:10 PM
I would go with 1a/b. It is quite straight for the most part with a tiny hint of a wave in there, but I would not go full on 1b.

Yeah it’s kind of weird..like one wave :rolleyes: can’t it just commit either straight or waves ..like who wants just one wave lol

Lady Stardust
May 14th, 2018, 02:26 AM
Here’s a link to the hair typing thread, with pics.
https://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=116252

I think your hair looks like 1c both in comparison to the picture and in relation to the description - 1 or 2 visible S waves, for example from the temples or nape.

I’ll be interested to see how your hair looks without blow drying and combing!

I find the definitions for the 1 types really confusing. It’s the mention of “body wave” and “volume”. I would never describe my hair as having volume, but I can see that it has more volume than 1a. It’s all relative.

MidnightMoon
May 14th, 2018, 03:21 AM
Is it me or the first 3a/3b looks less curly than the 2c/3a last pic?
Also, some pics don't help me at all, like, I can't see anything going on in the 1a example because of the light or how small the pic is, while the first 2b/2c example looks much curlier than the pic to the right.
And, why don't we have visual examples for the type 4?

Lady Stardust
May 14th, 2018, 03:41 AM
Is it me or the first 3a/3b looks less curly than the 2c/3a last pic?
Also, some pics don't help me at all, like, I can't see anything going on in the 1a example because of the light or how small the pic is, while the first 2b/2c example looks much curlier than the pic to the right.

I don’t know the background to how the guide was compiled but it looks like people were invited to submit pictures of hair types, and some of the categories didn’t get completed.

As for the 1a examples, I don’t think there is anything going on, just beautiful straight hair :-) I’ve only known a handful of 1a types, it’s quite rare in my part of the world at least.

________

I always thought I had stick straight hair but there is a marked distinction to 1a hair, it doesn’t have any fluffiness or a hint of a curl even on the ends. The volume stays the same from the roots to the ends, as far as I can tell. I used to type my hair 1a/1b but then I started to see things a bit differently. I see 1a as a benchmark now, and I would call any straight hair that has a hint of wave 1b or 1c.

It’s not a perfect system and interpretation is subjective, many people have mixed types, such as waves underneath and straight on top, so I’m sure we can all discuss our differences until the cows come home :-)

lapushka
May 14th, 2018, 04:17 AM

I think your hair looks like 1c both in comparison to the picture and in relation to the description - 1 or 2 visible S waves, for example from the temples or nape.

I find the definitions for the 1 types really confusing. It’s the mention of “body wave” and “volume”. I would never describe my hair as having volume, but I can see that it has more volume than 1a. It’s all relative.

1c has more than one wave to it, Lady Stardust. It almost looks like 2a, but 2a waves are waves on just about every strand.

Lady Stardust
May 14th, 2018, 04:29 AM
1c has more than one wave to it, Lady Stardust. It almost looks like 2a, but 2a waves are waves on just about every strand.

That’s confusing then because this is what the hair typing guide says:

1c - straight with body wave and one or two visible S-waves (e.g. nape of neck or temples)

One of the pictures looks similar to Wendyp’s hair too.

Then again I’ve seen other hair typing systems that classifies 1c as about the same as 1b but with coarse hair. I think the 1 types were an afterthought to many hair typing systems, some of them don’t even have sub categories for 1s :-)

MidnightMoon
May 14th, 2018, 05:18 AM
Well, I'd suggest updating it xP
Better pictures, maybe more examples, and add the ones missing. I'm sure we have members in the 4 category, I've seen them.

YvetteVarie
May 14th, 2018, 05:32 AM

As a type 4, I can't do a hair typing picture because the required steps would wreck my hair. If I airdry my hair without combing or stretching it out, I will have severe breakage when I try to rectify the situation later on due to extreme tangling.

MidnightMoon
May 14th, 2018, 05:39 AM
As a type 4, I can't do a hair typing picture because the required steps would wreck my hair. If I airdry my hair without combing or stretching it out, I will have severe breakage when I try to rectify the situation later on due to extreme tangling.

Ouch, that sounds awful... please don't do it.
Hopefully someone else can without this problem.

nycelle
May 14th, 2018, 05:41 AM
My mom has 1a hair naturally, no bend at all and it doesn't take to curling. You still seem to have some bend around your nape so I'd say 1b. Did you blow your hair straight?

MusicalSpoons
May 14th, 2018, 06:08 AM
I always thought I had stick straight hair but there is a marked distinction to 1a hair, it doesn’t have any fluffiness or a hint of a curl even on the ends. The volume stays the same from the roots to the ends, as far as I can tell. I used to type my hair 1a/1b but then I started to see things a bit differently. I see 1a as a benchmark now, and I would call any straight hair that has a hint of wave 1b or 1c.

I always used to think mine was stick straight too, but seeing a few pics of true 1a hair showed me that it really isn't. From what I've seen, 1a is distinctive with a kind of 'shiny, silky sheet' effect even in proper hair typing photos, because the hairs all lay basically the same way. It looks like it's been straightened with heat even though it's been left to airdry, untouched.

Lady Stardust
May 14th, 2018, 07:03 AM
I always used to think mine was stick straight too, but seeing a few pics of true 1a hair showed me that it really isn't. From what I've seen, 1a is distinctive with a kind of 'shiny, silky sheet' effect even in proper hair typing photos, because the hairs all lay basically the same way. It looks like it's been straightened with heat even though it's been left to airdry, untouched.

Yes that’s exactly how I understand it too. I used to share a house with a girl with 1a hair. It looked the same day in, day out. I used to think it was just better behaved than mine, but now I realise that it didn’t hold any wave to let it do anything else. My husband also has 1a hair. When my hair was shorter it might bend a bit when it was slept on. My husband’s hair sticks straight up in the air if slept on funny because it can’t bend! His hair stuck straight out all over when he was a baby, it just grew straight out. Comparing my hair to his made me realise how much clandestine wave there is in my hair.

Milady_DeWinter
May 14th, 2018, 07:13 AM
I wouldn't say 1A either, probably 1b since I see a bit of movement... to me, 1a would be like the curtain type hair that asians seems to have, 100% straight.

MusicalSpoons
May 14th, 2018, 08:39 AM
Yes that’s exactly how I understand it too. I used to share a house with a girl with 1a hair. It looked the same day in, day out. I used to think it was just better behaved than mine, but now I realise that it didn’t hold any wave to let it do anything else. My husband also has 1a hair. When my hair was shorter it might bend a bit when it was slept on. My husband’s hair sticks straight up in the air if slept on funny because it can’t bend! His hair stuck straight out all over when he was a baby, it just grew straight out. Comparing my hair to his made me realise how much clandestine wave there is in my hair.

'Clandestine wave' :rollin: what an excellent description!

Wendyp
May 15th, 2018, 06:32 PM
Oh i missed all these replies, im going to read through them now, but here is my hair tonite i did a rice water vinegar rinse tonite, and didnt touch it at all afterwards. its still a wee bit damp but mostly dry. I mean i literally did nothing else to it, no LOC, no finger comb, nothing. OMW where did all these waves come from? :bigeyes: I had no idea i had any waves anywhere. Wheres my poker straight hair?? I guess i i take it its 1c??

https://i.imgur.com/4w3ftDN.jpg

Wendyp
May 15th, 2018, 06:41 PM
My mom has 1a hair naturally, no bend at all and it doesn't take to curling. You still seem to have some bend around your nape so I'd say 1b. Did you blow your hair straight?

yes, i did which i never do, but i wanted to take a nice picture, and there was this clandestine wave thing going on lol so i was like what the heck is that?? now so far i thought i had fine hair.. nope, straight hair, nope .. now if i can just get to iii ill be whole different person :thumbsup:

Wendyp
May 15th, 2018, 06:50 PM
update here it is dry, slighting finger combing .. i still see a wave, totally blows my mind. I cant wait until all the damage grows out, i think its going to look good now that i finally understand my hair, and real proper hair care from LHC and all you awesome folk!

https://i.imgur.com/KsghBpC.jpg

Wendyp
May 15th, 2018, 06:56 PM

Yea i think between 1b and 1c? i dont consider my hair having body either, but maybe when all this damage grows out.

yup its confirmed not 1a. but to a hairdresser i have straight hair lol

I wouldn't say 1A either, probably 1b since I see a bit of movement... to me, 1a would be like the curtain type hair that asians seems to have, 100% straight.
1b or 1c, the first pic looks 2a, so im not sure now lol. i need a consensus i think

nycelle
May 15th, 2018, 07:22 PM
That last pic looks like a 1c to me.

You may get more wave on your length once all the dyed hair is gone. I know when I colored mine, it was also straighter. But I think you're still in the straight (1) category.

Wendyp
May 15th, 2018, 07:25 PM
That last pic looks like a 1c to me.

You may get more wave on your length once all the dyed hair is gone. I know when I colored mine, it was also straighter. But I think you're still in the straight (1) category.

I agree, I am thinking 1c.i was almost going for 2a but then I don’t think it’s as wavy as some pics. I think my true hair texture is starting to come through 5 month into good hair care.

Aredhel
May 15th, 2018, 08:12 PM
When I saw your initial photo (the blowdried one), I thought you were 1a/1b, but that last picture you just posted actually looks more 1b/1c to me. :)

ExpectoPatronum
May 15th, 2018, 09:39 PM
I agree that you're leaning towards 1c. I'd say with good hair care and finding the right technique, you could coax a little more definition and wave out of your hair.

Lady Stardust
May 16th, 2018, 02:52 AM
Oh how exciting, finding all those beautiful waves! I would say 1c, according to the definition. I’m a lawyer. I have to go by defined terms or my brain implodes. It sounds like 1c can have even more waves than the one or two in the definition. I think the difference is that a very wavy 1c has waves that move as a body through the hair (is this what is meant by body wave?), whearas 2a will have independent wavy locks.

I love that “clandestine waves” is entering the vernacular :-)

Wendyp your hair is looking absolutely stunning! Will you keep encouraging those waves?

I found that my hair didn’t frizz when I stopped combing it (and added enough moisture) so the hair typing exercise was beneficial when I did it. I only finger comb now, and as little as possible.

lucid
May 16th, 2018, 05:47 AM
I would say 1c as well! Looks great! :D

Wendyp
May 16th, 2018, 06:12 AM
When I saw your initial photo (the blowdried one), I thought you were 1a/1b, but that last picture you just posted actually looks more 1b/1c to me. :)
I wa thinking 1c looking at the hair typing guide, only looking at shoulders and above as that’s the virgin cassia only hair.

I agree that you're leaning towards 1c. I'd say with good hair care and finding the right technique, you could coax a little more definition and wave out of your hair.
I agree, I can’t wait to see what it looks like with all the damage grown out! Super excited!

Oh how exciting, finding all those beautiful waves! I would say 1c, according to the definition. I’m a lawyer. I have to go by defined terms or my brain implodes. It sounds like 1c can have even more waves than the one or two in the definition. I think the difference is that a very wavy 1c has waves that move as a body through the hair (is this what is meant by body wave?), whearas 2a will have independent wavy locks.

I love that “clandestine waves” is entering the vernacular :-)

Wendyp your hair is looking absolutely stunning! Will you keep encouraging those waves?

I found that my hair didn’t frizz when I stopped combing it (and added enough moisture) so the hair typing exercise was beneficial when I did it. I only finger comb now, and as little as possible.
I’m a lawyer too! I did the same thing I was reading the definition and comparing my pics loll I do think 1c. It is super exciting finding some waves! It’s like Christmas! Although I was shooting for Lucids amazing hair, love that shiny stick straight hair, but I’m super excited about waves! This just gets more fun every day! First hair toys now waves! :joy:

I would say 1c as well! Looks great! :D

Thanks lucid! It’s coming along I can’t wait till all the damage is gone. I’m shocked that’s there’s waves back there but I guess technically my hair hasn’t been virgin since I was 13 ..that’s when blow frying and curling and washing everyday kicked in.

Lady Stardust
May 16th, 2018, 06:34 AM
Oh that’s funny, lawyers and our love of Defined Terms :-)

I agree Lucid’s hair and all 1a hair is stunning! Actually I love all hair types, I never stop marvelling at other people’s hair. I do know that feeling though of being told all your life that your hair is dead straight and then realising that it isn’t. Those waves are just so great to see when you didn’t know they were there.

lapushka
May 16th, 2018, 06:48 AM
I would go with 1b/c.

MusicalSpoons
May 16th, 2018, 07:06 AM
Ooh definitely 1c! Far too much actual waviness for 1b ;)

Edit: meant to say it looks beautiful too!

Wendyp
May 16th, 2018, 10:30 AM
Oh that’s funny, lawyers and our love of Defined Terms :-)

I agree Lucid’s hair and all 1a hair is stunning! Actually I love all hair types, I never stop marvelling at other people’s hair. I do know that feeling though of being told all your life that your hair is dead straight and then realising that it isn’t. Those waves are just so great to see when you didn’t know they were there.

Oh i agree 100%. I do think all types of long hair are beautiful. My hubby has 3C C iii hair and its gorgeous. Im super excited about my waves, i had no idea, i cant wait to see them travel all the way down.

I would go with 1b/c.
Im leaning to 1c, the 1bs I saw have less waves, dont include the damage, its serviously damaged from shoulders down. Coloring my hair destroyed it.

Ooh definitely 1c! Far too much actual waviness for 1b ;)

Edit: meant to say it looks beautiful too!
aww thanks, its getting there, we have a ways to go, but i love the undamaged parts. Patience is paying off!

Wendyp
May 16th, 2018, 01:58 PM
I would go with 1b/c.

But lapuska I’m curious as to why u think 1b-1c, I know you been doing this for a while and am interested in your perspective on it. Thx

lapushka
May 16th, 2018, 02:16 PM
But lapuska I’m curious as to why u think 1b-1c, I know you been doing this for a while and am interested in your perspective on it. Thx

Because it's not always the same texture, Wendyp, sometimes it is 1b bordering on 1a (your first picture), and then other times it is more like 1c, so I would have said 1b to choose a fair medium, but I leaned towards the c because the last picture left an impression on me.

Wendyp
May 16th, 2018, 02:37 PM
Because it's not always the same texture, Wendyp, sometimes it is 1b bordering on 1a (your first picture), and then other times it is more like 1c, so I would have said 1b to choose a fair medium, but I leaned towards the c because the last picture left an impression on me.

oh ok thanks for explaining. The first pic i had blow dried it, the pics from yesterday i didnt condition or finger comb or anything. From the shoulders down is my natural only cassia colored hair, the rest which is straight is all the damage im growing out. Its going to be fun watching it grow and see what it turns into. Thanks for your input i respect your opinion too. :flowers:

lapushka
May 16th, 2018, 03:28 PM
oh ok thanks for explaining. The first pic i had blow dried it, the pics from yesterday i didnt condition or finger comb or anything. From the shoulders down is my natural only cassia colored hair, the rest which is straight is all the damage im growing out. Its going to be fun watching it grow and see what it turns into. Thanks for your input i respect your opinion too. :flowers:

Oh, that makes it *much* more clear. I had no idea you had blowdried your hair in the first one.

Wendyp
May 16th, 2018, 03:33 PM
Oh, that makes it *much* more clear. I had no idea you had blowdried your hair in the first one.

yeah i was trying to take a nice picture lol. but thats what really caught my attention i had this wave thing going on. I was competely shocked yesterday to see actual waves :bigeyes:. Super exciting though, it feels like christmas lol.
So basically every single thing any hairdresser ever told me was dead wrong, i dont have straight hair, i dont have fine hair and i dont have a lot of baby fine poker straight hair, among other incorrect things.

lapushka
May 16th, 2018, 03:52 PM
yeah i was trying to take a nice picture lol. but thats what really caught my attention i had this wave thing going on. I was competely shocked yesterday to see actual waves :bigeyes:. Super exciting though, it feels like christmas lol.
So basically every single thing any hairdresser ever told me was dead wrong, i dont have straight hair, i dont have fine hair and i dont have a lot of baby fine poker straight hair, among other incorrect things.

It feels nice finally "waking up", doesn't it? I know when that happened to me. :D :flower:

Wendyp
May 16th, 2018, 04:35 PM
It feels nice finally "waking up", doesn't it? I know when that happened to me. :D :flower:

Thats a perfect way to put it. That is exactly what this all feels like.