PDA

View Full Version : An “Acceptable” Level of Shedding

Ardyn
May 13th, 2018, 10:03 AM
Ardyn: Biotin, will you make my hair long enough to ponytail quickly?
Biotin: Aye, say no more fam.
Ardyn, one week later: ...Mate, I meant the hair on my head, not my eyebrows.
Biotin: ...My bad, fam. 🤷*♀️

1 week of pixie-cut growing down, 103 to go. 🤪

ANYWAY, back when I was stomping around with Rapunzel-hair, I didn’t pay much mind to shedding. I’ve hair thicker than a good custard, so losing hair didn’t really register as an issue. It’d shed in the shower, all over the floor, in my hair ties, you know the drill. Finding hair where there ought not be, all that.

Naturally, now that I’ve lopped a few feet of hair off and am regretting it with every waking breath, I am noticing shedding and am a bit worried. It’s not loads, maybe one or two strands when I am massaging for the Inversion Method and probably another few strands throughout the day. I’m thinking this is likely a normal level of shedding but...as I’ve never been bothered by it before, it occurs to me I have no idea what is and isn’t something to worry about.

Honestly, with the stress and panic attacks I’ve had this first week, I’m just pleased it hasn’t all fallen out. 😂

So, at what point should a person worry about shedding too much?

egcmi
May 13th, 2018, 10:31 AM
on average you shed 50-100 strands of hair daily, unless you have certain health conditions that make shed you more. i think you should worry if your hair is falling out in chunks, like when you comb it or run your fingers through it a lot of it falls out. also if you notice bald spots on your head or if your hair gets so thin you start seeing the scalp through it, that'd be alarming. otherwise i wouldn't worry, as i told you it's normal to shed some every day.

egcmi
May 13th, 2018, 10:32 AM
Ardyn: Biotin, will you make my hair long enough to ponytail quickly?
Biotin: Aye, say no more fam.
Ardyn, one week later: ...Mate, I meant the hair on my head, not my eyebrows.
Biotin: ...My bad, fam. ��*♀️

i lol'd :lol:

Ardyn
May 13th, 2018, 10:37 AM
Eyebrow ponytails, I’m starting the trend here folks. 👌🏻

Haha, I guess I’m being paranoid on that shedding thing then. If it starts to fall out I’m droves, I’ll panic then instead.

Shorty89
May 13th, 2018, 11:03 AM
I know what you mean about the eyebrows. I take a multivitamin with biotin and it makes my eyebrows grow super fast. I'm constantly in a race against time to pluck my brows before they grow all over the place!

Glitch
May 13th, 2018, 02:50 PM
Yes, 50-100 is the average, though even that still may vary. Personally, I shed very little (next to nothing, basically) from week to week, but then I'll have a day where I'll noticeably lose a big amount. It's just how my hair cycle is! If you're concerned or still unsure, I'd measure the ponytail thickness each week and compare, to check if it's changing or not.

lapushka
May 13th, 2018, 03:11 PM
Yes, 50-100 is the average, though even that still may vary. Personally, I shed very little (next to nothing, basically) from week to week, but then I'll have a day where I'll noticeably lose a big amount. It's just how my hair cycle is! If you're concerned or still unsure, I'd measure the ponytail thickness each week and compare, to check if it's changing or not.

Ponytail circumference "variations" are normal. I would therefore measure once a year, at the most, or you'll just panic over nothing. :flower:

Glitch
May 13th, 2018, 03:46 PM
Ponytail circumference "variations" are normal. I would therefore measure once a year, at the most, or you'll just panic over nothing. :flower:

Oh true!! I was thinking in terms of a consistent change (consecutively losing or gaining).

egcmi
May 13th, 2018, 03:56 PM
i knew about the ponytail method for measuring hair thickness, but i actually haven't thought about taking periodic measurement to verify that the overall thickness stays roughly the same, how clever!

Ardyn
May 13th, 2018, 04:12 PM
I can’t measure my ponytail 😭 I...I cut it off last week.

*stares wistfully out of the window* My past self was a fool...

egcmi
May 13th, 2018, 04:24 PM
I can’t measure my ponytail �� I...I cut it off last week.

relax :flower: while you think you did the worst mistake, i'm sure your hair will benefit from all the extra love and care you're giving it at the moment and you'll be able to do a ponytail again in less than a few months

Glitch
May 13th, 2018, 05:47 PM
i knew about the ponytail method for measuring hair thickness, but i actually haven't thought about taking periodic measurement to verify that the overall thickness stays roughly the same, how clever!

It's really great!! :p

I can’t measure my ponytail 😭 I...I cut it off last week.

Oh, don't worry! I've done that many times in the past too. It'll be back before you know it! Besides, it means you cut off any previous damage. As long as you take care, your new hair will be super healthy and pretty! In its best state :heartbeat