PDA

View Full Version : Deep V hemline, but no layers - anyone?

Alibran
May 11th, 2018, 09:06 AM
I'm guessing everyone here will understand what I mean by this. My stylist doesn't. When I explain it to her, she just says, "So you do want layers?" I feel like jumping up and down and screaming in frustration.

I saw someone with hair exactly how I want it, but I didn't have the nerve to go up to her and ask if I could take a photo of her hair, so I'm wondering if I could get some example photos here to show to my stylist. It's got a long way to go to get to the length I want (somewhere the other side of waist), but she's obsessed with wanting to put layers in it, so I'm going to struggle to get there if I don't make a stand!

wo
May 11th, 2018, 09:14 AM
https://goo.gl/images/KoKcpa
Like this?

nycelle
May 11th, 2018, 09:14 AM
Get a new stylist. V without layers is obvious. It's just a sharper U hemline. Stylists know this, if yours doesn't, there's a problem.

prairie lark
May 11th, 2018, 09:50 AM
Get a new stylist. V without layers is obvious. It's just a sharper U hemline. Stylists know this, if yours doesn't, there's a problem.

This. I wouldn't go back if a stylist couldn't picture and execute a V :confused:

The self-trimming article (https://feyeselftrim.livejournal.com/) has the option for DIY v hemline, if you want to try at home.

Groovy Granny
May 11th, 2018, 10:30 AM
You may need more length to have it hang/look properly, but it is do-able with the instruction link Prairie Lark provided ....She beat me to it ;)

At SL asking for a deep cut like that is a recipe for disaster with a stylist who has no clue :tmi:

It is better to grow into it and do it yourself!

EdG
May 11th, 2018, 10:49 AM
Groovy Granny - your new avatar is awesome! :hifive:
Ed

lapushka
May 11th, 2018, 11:01 AM
I'd personally wait for more length or it will not hang properly. I'd wait at least until BSL!

And yes Feye's self-trimming method has instructions for a deep V! No layering.

I doubt you can explain this well to any stylist. :(

Glitch
May 11th, 2018, 01:44 PM

I agree, she doesn't sound too knowledgeable, and I wouldn't want to take the risk. OP, if you feel like screaming in frustration as you said, just imagine if something went really wrong :(
A photo plus a stylist who understands what you're talking about would be the best combo, IMO :o

Groovy Granny
May 11th, 2018, 05:11 PM
Groovy Granny - your new avatar is awesome! :hifive:
Ed

Thanks Ed :D

Simsy
May 11th, 2018, 06:33 PM
This might be a good time to learn self trimming, and leave the stylists for special/desperate times. Layers are really easy to cut in, and a complete pain to grow out if you donít want them.

As for the cut itself, I actually landed on this by sheer laziness when the face-framing sections grew out. I will see about finding a picture for you. Maybe describing it a bit like that might help, if you are sure about letting the stylist have a go.

littlestarface
May 11th, 2018, 06:35 PM
I say show her the self trimming way of doing a V so that she can see how you want it.

Alibran
May 12th, 2018, 08:58 AM
Like this?

Thank you. That's helped a lot. My hair is very curly, but that photo led me to others that look more like my hair.

I'd personally wait for more length or it will not hang properly. I'd wait at least until BSL!

And yes Feye's self-trimming method has instructions for a deep V! No layering.

There's no point in growing it all to BSL and then having to cut a big chunk of it shorter again. I'll have to live with the massive width at the bottom that I'm trying to avoid by cutting it into a V. And I've tried Feye's method before. That was how I ended up going back to a pixie - when I did it wrong. I'm not confident enough to cut it myself after past errors.

A photo plus a stylist who understands what you're talking about would be the best combo, IMO :o

The understanding part is the challenge, since I don't speak fluent Spanish, and English speaking stylists aren't that common around here. I have some photos now, though, so that gives me somewhere to start.

spidermom
May 12th, 2018, 09:58 AM
https://goo.gl/images/KoKcpa
Like this?

It's harder to see in the straight hair, of course, but I'm pretty certain all those V-cuts are layered.

Milady_DeWinter
May 12th, 2018, 10:20 AM
Here's an old pic of me - circa 2014 or so, not much layered at the time but with a deep V. And curls!

http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=30622&d=1520094166

I do not like this style on me :p I'm trying to get a blunt hemline now. But I hope that the pic can help you!

ETA: In Spanish it would be something like: "Me gustarŪa un corte en forma de uve, SIN capas por favor." I you want, I can provide you some threat phrases for the stylist too :lol:

prairie lark
May 12th, 2018, 11:46 AM
.... I can provide you some threat phrases for the stylist too :lol:

This totally made my morning! :lol:

wo
May 12th, 2018, 11:48 AM
It's harder to see in the straight hair, of course, but I'm pretty certain all those V-cuts are layered.

Yeah, I think you're right lol. I have a hard time telling if there's layers in really straight hair.

Milady_DeWinter
May 12th, 2018, 12:10 PM
This totally made my morning! :lol:

:bow: :bow: :bow:

You are very welcome :rolling:

Glitch
May 12th, 2018, 12:14 PM
Here's an old pic of me - circa 2014 or so, not much layered at the time but with a deep V. And curls!

http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=30622&d=1520094166

I do not like this style on me :p I'm trying to get a blunt hemline now. But I hope that the pic can help you!

ETA: In Spanish it would be something like: "Me gustarŪa un corte en forma de uve, SIN capas por favor." I you want, I can provide you some threat phrases for the stylist too :lol:

I love your personality :laugh: Oh and your hair looked great then too!

lapushka
May 12th, 2018, 12:37 PM

That made me LOL! So funny, *and* useful too! :lol: :thumbsup:

Milady_DeWinter
May 12th, 2018, 12:49 PM
I love your personality :laugh: Oh and your hair looked great then too!

That made me LOL! So funny, *and* useful too! :lol: :thumbsup:

Thank you, thank you! :bow: :p I think the only reason why I like my hair in that pic is because I can see my natural hair color both in shadow and in the sun, so I can sigh*

BTW I reckon I'm much better in Spanish -I'm quite known for my somewhat acid sense of humour, lol. But I do my best here :p I can provide Spanish threat phrases for stylist to all of you if you want :grouphug:

Glitch
May 12th, 2018, 12:54 PM
Thank you, thank you! :bow: :p I think the only reason why I like my hair in that pic is because I can see my natural hair color both in shadow and in the sun, so I can sigh*

BTW I reckon I'm much better in Spanish -I'm quite known for my somewhat acid sense of humour, lol. But I do my best here :p I can provide Spanish threat phrases for stylist to all of you if you want :grouphug:

Adorable haha!! :heartbeat Your humor and tips are very much appreciated :p
And you'll have your natural color back soon enough :)!

Wendyp
May 12th, 2018, 07:42 PM
Iím giving up hair dressers for trimming entirely. Iím determined to nail down feyes method. Iím so tired of stressing over whether they will cut too much or try to put layers in :shudder: if I donít micromanage everything they do I walk out with my hair butchered. I only had one who I didnít have to micro manage and even she didnít know anything about long hair care.

Milady_DeWinter
May 16th, 2018, 10:55 AM
I’m giving up hair dressers for trimming entirely. I’m determined to nail down feyes method. I’m so tired of stressing over whether they will cut too much or try to put layers in :shudder: if I don’t micromanage everything they do I walk out with my hair butchered. I only had one who I didn’t have to micro manage and even she didn’t know anything about long hair care.

That is just typical :p That's why I decided to trim myself too! And also they have plenty of resources to completely destroy hair! :rollin:

Queerantine
May 16th, 2018, 11:43 AM
I’m giving up hair dressers for trimming entirely. I’m determined to nail down feyes method. I’m so tired of stressing over whether they will cut too much or try to put layers in :shudder: if I don’t micromanage everything they do I walk out with my hair butchered. I only had one who I didn’t have to micro manage and even she didn’t know anything about long hair care.

1000% yes. When I was first growing out my hair, I told a stylist I just wanted the tiniest little trim, as I was trying to grow my hair long, and that I had been growing without a trim for almost a year and didn't want to lose the length. It had just reached BSL. She commented on how few split ends I had, then cut three inches off and added layers, then told me how long it was. I was sooooooooo upset. I only trust myself now.

Also, hello there fellow equestrian!

Wildcat Diva
May 16th, 2018, 08:54 PM
My hair is curly but fairy-tailed and a V. I’m having trouble seeing if my picture showed up. It’s not loading for me.
https://imageshack.com/a/img923/5334/xzTtA1.jpg