PDA

View Full Version : Growing out old dye, to cut now or later?

NikitaJane
May 10th, 2018, 01:45 AM
Hi everyone.

So, I've been growing out old dye on my ends since early June 2016 ish.
My hair is currently MBL, a few inches off from waist.

The difference in colour on the ends bothers me, but at the same time my hair is the longest it's ever been, and my goal is waist and then hip length.

I cant decide whether it would be better to cut off all the old colour now and then grow it out to waist>hip or to grow it first and then maintain the length there until the colour grows out bit by bit.

Here is a photo of my hair and the line marks roughly the border between my natural hair colour and the old colour:
https://s9.postimg.cc/khtupltfj/dgffe.jpg (https://postimages.org/)

What do you all think?

Joules
May 10th, 2018, 01:49 AM
Wow :thudpile:

You have gorgeous healthy hair, the color difference to me looks intentional, like a beautibul ombre done in a salon :) I wouldn't cut it!

Sarahlabyrinth
May 10th, 2018, 01:53 AM
It looks gorgeously beautiful - and deliberate. There's no way I would cut it!

Milady_DeWinter
May 10th, 2018, 01:58 AM
I wouldn't cut either, I'm doing the same and I'll cut the dye bit by bit while growing out. I might maintain being at BCL to get ride of all of it, then I'll be ready to classic :)

Your hair looks pretty healthy, so if you want lenght you shouldn't cut it :o Looks great as it is!

Lady Stardust
May 10th, 2018, 02:09 AM
Your hair looks absolutely stunning and the colour looks intentional. Cutting off all that lovely hair would be a crying shame.

I’d keep doing whatever it is that you’re currently doing in terms of trims or no trims because it’s clearly working.

Kake
May 10th, 2018, 03:09 AM
Your hair is really beautiful as it is. The colour difference is gentle and natural looking.

_fred_
May 10th, 2018, 03:16 AM
Your hair looks amazing - such gorgeous colours, and the ombre looks entirely intentional.

In your position, I'd choose the grow and trim option. But the big question is, which one do you think would help you to enjoy your hair the best? You say the ends are bugging you - how much are they bugging you? If they make you unhappy every time you see them, it could be best to cut (or perhaps to try a direct dye mixed with conditioner to turn them a colour you can enjoy while they grow out). If you like the length more than you dislike the ends, it's probably best to keep growing.

lapushka
May 10th, 2018, 05:43 AM
First of all, you have gorgeous hair, and you can't even see the color difference, so I would not cut the hair at all! I would continue to gradually grow it out and gradually trim. You've been doing so well with that. :flower:

NikitaJane
May 10th, 2018, 11:03 AM
Thank you all for your opinions :) I'm going to keep growing and then gradually cut it out and maintain at a length I'm happy with (at least hip, maybe classic) the ends bother me a lot, but on reflection, cutting off my length would likely bother me more. So more patience for now I think :)

fhairyqueen
May 10th, 2018, 11:09 AM
I wouldn’t cut it , your hair looks really healthy
I would give anything to have everything about your hair

Groovy Granny
May 10th, 2018, 11:10 AM
I am with the others and happy to hear your decision;Your hair is beautiful and looks intentional. :thumbsup:
If it is in good condition then let it grow; it will make for some very pretty buns and braids :popcorn:
Your decision may change over time....but it is YOUR decision; whatever makes YOU the happiest is the right choice :thumbsup:

*Wednesday*
May 10th, 2018, 12:01 PM
First of all, you have gorgeous hair, and you can't even see the color difference, so I would not cut the hair at all! I would continue to gradually grow it out and gradually trim. You've been doing so well with that. :flower:

Yes, it looks natural. Almost a sun kissed look on the ends.

I wouldn't cut. Your ends look good.

lapushka
May 10th, 2018, 12:59 PM

Yes that's a perfect description - pretty!

Great decision, OP!

WyntreBlossom
May 10th, 2018, 01:12 PM
Your hair is absolutely beautiful. I would cry if I cut that much off. Especially when its that beautiful of a color. The color looks like a natural fade, almost like natural highlights. It also looks deliberate as well which is amazing imo. I wouldn't cut it all of at once. Enjoy that beautiful fade <3 its stunning

Guitargod
May 10th, 2018, 02:39 PM

Exactly. It looks like perfectly natural sun bleached ends. I wouldn't know it was dye if you hadn't said so.
And it looks beautiful.
Edit - if you look at my avatar I think I have more color difference from top to bottom than you do, and I've never colored or bleached my hair:)

Glitch
May 10th, 2018, 04:52 PM
Honestly, the color transition looks intentional, like a slight ombre or even natural :) It looks good to me. I would keep it. Your hair is so shiny and healthy looking!