PDA

View Full Version : Gonna cut it all off

redeyedtreefr0g
May 9th, 2018, 09:32 AM
Hi there. I'm not sure why I'm posting but I feel the need to share with "hair" people.

I'm going to drive my school bus this afternoon, then go around the corner to the place, and get my hair chopped off. It is currently under a baseball hat, in a ponytail. It's long enough to reach under my breast, which I think means that down it is at natural waist length. I honestly cannot remember the last time I washed it. It has spent the last several months the same way: in a braid or most of the time a ponytailed braid. A rare twisted rope ponytail for variety, or twin braids.

I can't wear it down. Freshly washed it clings to everything or poofs or drifts and touches my face... I hate shampoo and wash days. Otherwise, my work shirts are these terrible polos that grab and hold. My bus seat fabric is worse. Between the two, checking mirrors every 15 seconds... I end up with bird-nest mats which are awful. I can't wear it down. Not to mention the random (unannounced!!) cases of head lice at the schools....

I was helping hubby fix the truck last night and I realized I'm at the same point my twin was at. My hair isn't a joy anymore it lives the same way every day. I kept being annoyed as my biker ponytail kept flopping over my shoulder, and I had hands caked in under-truck gunk trying to hammer in a drive shaft. I didn't want my hair and would have happily buzzed it right that second.

So I've been thinking about that all night long and today.

I don't think I'm unhappy with that feeling. It makes sense to me, and now is pretty good for timing, even. Hubby and I are coming up on ten-year anniversary. Nice round number. The last time my hair was super short was in 2004, right after graduating high school and starting college. This year my (defaulted, for now) student loans will be falling off my credit report, and I'll be free of them.

I don't THINK I'll regret this decision? I've had short hair once. I know I'll look fine in just about any hair I choose to wear. I remember hating it short, but not always. I know and understand there will be stages that I just despise and have to grow past, but I also don't know yet when I'll be ready to grow. I still have the goal of reaching terminal length one day. I know it took a LOOOOONG time to reach natural waist. ...But I also don't really think there is any rush.

I'm 33 this year. I have lots and lots of sparklie silvers.
Edit to add: It seems like a good start to going water-only again, since I've basically unintentionally been doing that already (or I guess sebum-only, really).

Short as in- not buzzcut, but close. Samantha Carter from SG1 when it was short-short. Penny from Big Bang Theory in some of her newer things (or current? I don't have TV). Anne Hathaway's cute pixie maybe, or Hermione's from Harry Potter, I've seen on magazines- she's super cute.

https://goo.gl/images/WzmuLH
https://goo.gl/images/wxxnrs
https://goo.gl/images/cXGS59

lapushka
May 9th, 2018, 10:01 AM
Try maybe going one milestone back, and see what that does. Often it "suddenly" has become too long to manage comfortably, and you passed a certain level of comfort (for me that point is classic, but I'm trying to go beyond it this year).

Cutting a bit back often helps *hugely*, and you don't end up with regret if you take it slow!

I wouldn't go short on impulse!

Good luck!

MoonRabbit
May 9th, 2018, 10:20 AM
Seems to me like you really thought this though. Sometimes the need for change takes over. I hope the new style will spark the joy for your hair again.

Lady Stardust
May 9th, 2018, 10:56 AM
I love pixie cuts and the styles you have mentioned sound lovely. I had an Anne Hathaway inspired cut for a while. I also liked Alice’s hair in the last Twilight films.

Unfortunately pixies are just awful to grow out! If you want to go for terminal one day you’ll have to go through that, but maybe you can think of some fun styles to try out along the way. I don’t know if there’s a less 90s version of the shag haircut around but that would be ideal for getting through the awkward stages.

It sounds like you want to do something to have fun with your hair again.

redeyedtreefr0g
May 9th, 2018, 11:30 AM
Yeah. It does sound impulsive, I understand, and im not intending to discourage anyone from their own hair journey at all. I do still intend to pursue my own again one day. But i am ready for a change in a big way. It feels like a lot of other things in life have gone back to square one, and i have to admit, starting over with my hair to not only seems to fit the theme, but im excited about it. I can't wait to not care if my hair gets wet because it'll be dry in less than an hour.

cjk
May 9th, 2018, 11:33 AM
Okay.

Usually it's guys who buzz it down for summer but there's nothing saying you can't too.

Enjoy!

Rebeccalaurenxx
May 9th, 2018, 12:04 PM
Just want to add my two cents, youre free to do whatever you like with your hair, but this is what I think:

When you wear it in a ponytail, or a braid. You're still wearing it down. Yes its a protective style, but its still facing friction and it still will get damaged and its in the way.
I would never wear a braid 24/7 because 1. you get friction, and tear up the tassle. and 2. doing the same style over and over, also can cause friction in the same areas over and over, a braid for me means damage. I never wear them. Never.
Up, in a bun, is usually the better way. Have you tried wearing a bun instead? You have been here since 2008 so I figure maybe you have tried them in the past and maybe they dont work for you but i dont know the full situation here.

I do agree with others though, that you should go back a milestone. Dont go as short as possible, just cut back one milestone at a time until you feel its the right length for you. Going as short as possible right away can sometimes be more of a shock than we really realize.

C_Bookworm
May 9th, 2018, 12:06 PM
Sam Carter had such fantastic hair! I think end of season 4/season 5 was my favorite. I wish you well in your journey and hope this cut brings you much joy :flower:

Pumpkin3826
May 9th, 2018, 12:25 PM
It sounds like you have put a lot of thought into this, I say go with what your heart is telling you. I like making big changes on birthdays or such events, so I completely get your wanting to make this change when so many things are going to be happening soon! Happy Anniversary by the way! If your long hair is not bringing you any joy I say you make a change so you will love your hair. About 7 years ago I had damaged hair from coloring it so much that I wanted to make a big change and just start fresh. My hair was about waist length as well, I thought I would just take it up to shoulders as a baby step. Even though what I really wanted was to go for an inverted bob. Needless to say, I got the shoulder length bob, and about a week later went in and got about 2-3 inches off the sides and the back taken up to contour my head. I finally had my perfect inverted bob!! :disco: I was so so happy that I made that change. I kept it for a few years! It is just hair, it will always grow back. Sometimes you just have to follow your heart and not worry about the what if's. I can't wait to see what you decide. :o

MusicalSpoons
May 9th, 2018, 12:38 PM
Yeah. It does sound impulsive, I understand, and im not intending to discourage anyone from their own hair journey at all. I do still intend to pursue my own again one day. But i am ready for a change in a big way. It feels like a lot of other things in life have gone back to square one, and i have to admit, starting over with my hair to not only seems to fit the theme, but im excited about it. I can't wait to not care if my hair gets wet because it'll be dry in less than an hour.

That right there tells you it's most likely a good decision for you :)

My default reaction to a post like your original one would be to offer advice for trying to find styles that fit with your circumstances - but you've been here far longer than I, and no doubt know all the things you could try, if you wanted. But it sounds like this is a decision some months in the making, with last night being the final motivation to actually decide and to do it.

All the best to you - I hope you really love your new style! :flower: oh, and I too rather like Sam Carter's hair (much prefer it to Penny's pixie - Sam's seemed to have more life) ;)

lapushka
May 9th, 2018, 01:33 PM

You certainly don't have to explain or answer to anybody. I was just trying to tell you to be careful maybe, because you might regret the cut, and sometimes going back just one milestone is *really* a big change already.

But if you are really determined, go for it girl! :cheer:

Sarahlabyrinth
May 9th, 2018, 02:05 PM
Enjoy your new hair! :D

Groovy Granny
May 9th, 2018, 02:09 PM
It sounds like it is time for a change and you have made up your mind....have fun with your new 'do' :cheer:

Guitargod
May 9th, 2018, 02:34 PM
I my late 20s I suddenly didn't really care about having long hair anymore - my hair had been long since I was 15 then. So off it went because it was very hot - I was visiting The Philippines that time. I didn't regret it a bit back then and was excited about trying something new.
Then after around 5 years I decided to grow it out again though and now it's longer than ever before.
Short story - either go for it or change your habits and try something other than a ponytail because it gets old in the long run.
Good luck whatever you choose:)

Glitch
May 9th, 2018, 03:30 PM
Hi there. I'm not sure why I'm posting but I feel the need to share with "hair" people.

I'm going to drive my school bus this afternoon, then go around the corner to the place, and get my hair chopped off. It is currently under a baseball hat, in a ponytail. It's long enough to reach under my breast, which I think means that down it is at natural waist length. I honestly cannot remember the last time I washed it. It has spent the last several months the same way: in a braid or most of the time a ponytailed braid. A rare twisted rope ponytail for variety, or twin braids.

I can't wear it down. Freshly washed it clings to everything or poofs or drifts and touches my face... I hate shampoo and wash days. Otherwise, my work shirts are these terrible polos that grab and hold. My bus seat fabric is worse. Between the two, checking mirrors every 15 seconds... I end up with bird-nest mats which are awful. I can't wear it down. Not to mention the random (unannounced!!) cases of head lice at the schools....

I was helping hubby fix the truck last night and I realized I'm at the same point my twin was at. My hair isn't a joy anymore it lives the same way every day. I kept being annoyed as my biker ponytail kept flopping over my shoulder, and I had hands caked in under-truck gunk trying to hammer in a drive shaft. I didn't want my hair and would have happily buzzed it right that second.

So I've been thinking about that all night long and today.

I don't think I'm unhappy with that feeling. It makes sense to me, and now is pretty good for timing, even. Hubby and I are coming up on ten-year anniversary. Nice round number. The last time my hair was super short was in 2004, right after graduating high school and starting college. This year my (defaulted, for now) student loans will be falling off my credit report, and I'll be free of them.

I don't THINK I'll regret this decision? I've had short hair once. I know I'll look fine in just about any hair I choose to wear. I remember hating it short, but not always. I know and understand there will be stages that I just despise and have to grow past, but I also don't know yet when I'll be ready to grow. I still have the goal of reaching terminal length one day. I know it took a LOOOOONG time to reach natural waist. ...But I also don't really think there is any rush.

I'm 33 this year. I have lots and lots of sparklie silvers.
Edit to add: It seems like a good start to going water-only again, since I've basically unintentionally been doing that already (or I guess sebum-only, really).

Short as in- not buzzcut, but close. Samantha Carter from SG1 when it was short-short. Penny from Big Bang Theory in some of her newer things (or current? I don't have TV). Anne Hathaway's cute pixie maybe, or Hermione's from Harry Potter, I've seen on magazines- she's super cute.

As I often tend to think, by the time someone has posted a question about a 'yes or no' type of question, they have already subconsciously made up their mind and need an extra push to confirm it. I'm not sure if this the case here, but it does sound like you're sold on shorter hair. I've gone through a similar experience when I craved chin length hair, and highly recommend you cut it half as short as you want, at first. I went to around shoulder length and remember feeling a rush of relief that I didn't go any shorter, since I ended up not liking hair that short anymore, though I had always liked it in the past. If you still crave shorter hair after the cut, then I'd say to go ahead and buzz :) If you buzz right away, there is not really any "going back" from that, whereas if you dislike your hair at a shorter length, it wouldn't take long to reach waist again.

In the end, it is your hair and your decision :) We live and we learn! Maybe a big cut really is what you need at this time. And maybe not! Perhaps thinking about this for another week or two will help you come to a solid decision. I do think you've already decided at the back of your mind, though ;) Best of luck! <3

lapushka
May 9th, 2018, 03:59 PM
Yeah, I'm being careful about it. I had classic length September 2015, and maintained it for a year. Then November 2016, I cut it off in a rush of impulse to hip. Boy, did I ever regret that. And I even wanted to go shorter, but my mother stopped me (she was doing the cutting and I kept telling her "shorter" "shorter"). Thank goodness she did. I spent all this time, up to... it will be June now that it will be classic again.

spidermom
May 9th, 2018, 04:09 PM
Go for it and enjoy! I kept between hip and classic-length hair for a couple of years while I fantasized about collarbone length. I was afraid I would regret it, so I had it cut back in stages, first to around waist length, a couple of weeks later to somewhere between APL and BSL, and finally what I had wanted all along - collarbone length (a lob). I regret having it cut in stages like that because I could have had a long ponytail to keep and remind me of how many split ends I had. Now I'm starting to forget how much I hated those thousands of split ends and am growing it out again, but I absolutely loved my collarbone length hair for at least a year.

redeyedtreefr0g
May 9th, 2018, 05:37 PM
It's cut! I'll figure out how to upload pictures in a moment.

I had been dealing with husband asking politely for a few months or a year now "are you sure you're set on long hair?" every time he found my hairs [any place not on my own head]. He met me with long hair. He saw me in the back of his brother's car brushing out my hair in the sunshine after riding over to his house after school and said he knew he wanted to get to know me better. Obviously that happened :) But he was the first to be skeptical after my mini tantrum last night yelling "okay if you want me to have short hair NOW is the time to ask that question again, for serious!". That creeper really hurt.

I have had SHORT hair once before in my life. I also grew up as a child with forced short hair (chin to shoulderish) due to poor hygiene habits. I was a back-and-forth head-turning sleeper and would get such awful mats that I if I forgot to brush my hair even for one day, it was usually too late because I also had a super-sensitive scalp. Kidhood was rough. The minute I figured out on my own the trick to untangling those mats, I kept my hair.

So I kind of knew ahead of time that- as much as I just flat-out ADORE chin-length hairstyles- they aren't for me. At least not yet. The whole idea is to get the hair OFF me. Don't touch me. Don't blow in my eyes, don't fall in my face, I don't want you, go away. Those longer layers are also the ones that I dislike when growing it out- so that part will be hard later. But this was definitely not a case of- try shortening in stages. I completely understand the warnings in this regard. I have had chops that I immediately regretted, and this just felt different from those times. I think it's like Guitargod said, and I'm just done with long hair. ....for a bit. Not forever :)

redeyedtreefr0g
May 9th, 2018, 05:51 PM
https://scontent-mia3-1.xx.fbcdn.net/v/t1.0-9/32215102_1836837966380711_4867560365828866048_n.jp g?_nc_cat=0&oh=c0ce046200085b18b2ecddbcad9a1957&oe=5B555A3F

https://scontent-mia3-1.xx.fbcdn.net/v/t1.0-9/32187393_1836837933047381_2701009966432518144_n.jp g?_nc_cat=0&oh=b8b2cc4dc8358b254548fe6ff18ffd97&oe=5B90B275

https://scontent-mia3-1.xx.fbcdn.net/v/t1.0-9/32151068_1836837516380756_5089494460023177216_n.jp g?_nc_cat=0&oh=d5d421988f889391ca94d5692b9967cb&oe=5B5386A2

https://scontent-mia3-1.xx.fbcdn.net/v/t1.0-9/32089559_1836837569714084_8005046297818038272_n.jp g?_nc_cat=0&oh=2e45bad5a7afdf7657ed6352632a5b80&oe=5B8428BD

https://scontent-mia3-1.xx.fbcdn.net/v/t1.0-9/32191620_1836837486380759_6304954515275644928_n.jp g?_nc_cat=0&oh=dd86370070f6d5ae1069d331e9c6d54a&oe=5B5962AF

Glitch
May 9th, 2018, 05:55 PM
Aww, you look so happy! Congrats on the big change - no more pondering! Looking very cute <3

MissMuse
May 9th, 2018, 08:21 PM
It looks awesome 😊😊

Sarahlabyrinth
May 9th, 2018, 08:58 PM
Oh wow, look at you! Plus you have a beautiful ponytail to keep :D Looks like you made a great decision!

Groovy Granny
May 9th, 2018, 09:55 PM
You are beaming...and should be...what a cute cut on you :love:

Enjoy your new 'wash and go' do!!!

Katsura
May 10th, 2018, 12:09 AM
Wow it's a great style for you. I love both extremes, very long and very short. :)

teeks
May 10th, 2018, 01:05 AM
Oh you look so happy, and your hair looks super nice :)

Lady Stardust
May 10th, 2018, 02:18 AM
I think the smile says it all! You look great :-)

lapushka
May 10th, 2018, 05:46 AM
That's a lot of hair. But you look happy, and that is all, that's what matters! :D

embee
May 10th, 2018, 05:49 AM
*Much* safer for working on cars and bikes and machinery! :) Looks great.

redeyedtreefr0g
May 10th, 2018, 07:33 AM
Thanks everybody! So far im still ecstatic with the change.... and all the reactions from co-workers and kids are super amusing

Pumpkin3826
May 10th, 2018, 07:39 AM
Wow, it looks so great!!! It looks like you have natural waves, that will be fun with your shorter hair! I applaud you for being so brave and making that big of a change. I hope it makes your life so much easier in the mornings and while you are at work. :)

MusicalSpoons
May 10th, 2018, 07:57 AM
Well, I never thought I'd be congratulating someone for chopping off all their lengths, but your beaming smile says it all! Enjoy your new hair! :D :applause

Labs*R*Us
May 10th, 2018, 08:54 PM
I think your new cut is absolutely adorable!!

Beckstar
May 10th, 2018, 10:27 PM
It looks great and really suits you.

browneyedsusan
May 11th, 2018, 04:24 AM
I loved my pixies! (See siggy caption) Every length has its benefits and downsides, and pixies offer a bunch of things that were out of reach before you cut:

*It will never get caught in stuff. Ever.
*It will never get in your face.
*Dries in a less than 5 minutes.
*You can wake up, run damp hands over it, and look fabulous!
*Other women will wish they had the nerve to go "that short", and make all sorts of excuses for why they don't.
*You will get compliments. A lot of them.
*You can dye and/or bleach it as much as you want. Hello, fun colors!
*No worries about damage, because you'll get it cut in a few weeks anyway.
*Frequent haircuts = zero commitment: Try it all: undercuts, shaved sides, spiked top, whatever; you'll grow it out in a few weeks!

Enjoy it! It looks like you're well on your way! :cheese:

May 11th, 2018, 05:15 AM
Me too! They grown out to lob and they're already taking 1hr to detangle (and I comb up to 2 times a day). I'll just buzz it all off. I'm really excited. I just feel like I literally want to get rid of it all.

You look so cute and happy! I hope I'll be too!

redeyedtreefr0g
May 14th, 2018, 06:22 PM
I loved my pixies! (See siggy caption) Every length has its benefits and downsides, and pixies offer a bunch of things that were out of reach before you cut:

*It will never get caught in stuff. Ever.
*It will never get in your face.
*Dries in a less than 5 minutes.
*You can wake up, run damp hands over it, and look fabulous!
*Other women will wish they had the nerve to go "that short", and make all sorts of excuses for why they don't.
*You will get compliments. A lot of them.
*You can dye and/or bleach it as much as you want. Hello, fun colors!
*No worries about damage, because you'll get it cut in a few weeks anyway.
*Frequent haircuts = zero commitment: Try it all: undercuts, shaved sides, spiked top, whatever; you'll grow it out in a few weeks!

Enjoy it! It looks like you're well on your way! :cheese:

So far so good! Only one person has expressed regret for my lost long locks. A coworker must have really appreciated them, more than I did. I assured him they'll be back someday, because he was not mean at all, and he complimented the new look as well. He's a genuine person as far as I can tell.
I'm a little tempted to put in some green, but holy moly- my head is so dark! I'd have to bleach first to have any color show up, maybe? After school lets out.

I keep feeling like I've left my hair up in a ponytail and need to "let it down" before sleep (Kind of like when I poke myself in the eye going to push up the eyeglass frames I'm not wearing because geez, I can go pee at night in the dark, can't I?). And I keep catching glimpses of myself in mirrors and either double-taking because the image is just "off" caught from the corner of my eye, or to get a second look at that cutey looking back at me.
My scalp is more itchy. I purposely have done nothing because I knew the vigorous cleaning x2 would mess stuff up. Plus I'm unsure how much of the itchies are simply having to adjust to my hair MOVING more than I'm used to.
I had hair hurt for a day or two- go figure?

browneyedsusan
May 14th, 2018, 06:53 PM
I'm not familiar with the sudden short hair feeling you're experiencing. I kept my hair shoulder length, then got a short bob, then pixied. For a few years, I just got one haircut a year, and it would grow down to my shoulders over the year. Still, not a giant change.

I always liked how easy it was to shampoo in the shower. And just needing one towel: run a towel over your head, and the hair is done, use towel on the rest of you. I never minded getting caught in the rain because my hair didn't hold much water, and it looked fine if I ran my fingers through it. Wind never bothered either, because tangles just didn't happen. (I remember getting my first tangle when I was growing out. It was so wierd! I hadn't had a tangle since childhood!)

I am almost over wondering who that long haired lady is in the mirror. Almost. Still surprises me sometimes. I had pixies for a really long time!

My hair hurt when I was growing out. I tried to pin up my bangs with a bobbypin, and got a headache after about 10 minutes! I thought something was wrong with me! How was I ever going to tolerate a ponytail?! I got used to it. You will too.

ENJOY! :cheese:

chiapommama
May 14th, 2018, 08:48 PM
Your hair is so cute short.Enjoy it!