PDA

View Full Version : Ruined curls at the back of head.

Margarita
May 6th, 2018, 12:09 PM
So, yeah. After shower i apply a hair creme to my hands and i start scrunching my whole hair for a few minutes even if its a bit dry. Whats the problem you'll ask, so the problem is that, despite scrunching my hair succesfully into beautiful curls, something mysterious happens and the curls of the back of my hair gets ruined. When i mean ruined i mean loose. They loose and become straight wavy, while the front of my hair remains in good curls. Sometimes i wet the back of my hair and add again a creme the next and next day to fix it. But i wonder why THIS is happening to my hair. Growing? Different pattern? A little messy fairy in my hair? God tries to communicate with me? :justy::lol::wail::?:undecided

JennGalt
May 6th, 2018, 12:21 PM
It's entirely possible to have different textures on different parts of your head, or even mixed throughout. I'm mostly 3a/3b, but I have a section of 3c-ish hair behind each ear. It has more shrinkage than the rest, too.

It's also possible your texture is changing; texture can change throughout your life as hormones change, and playa role in hair texture. If I recall correctly, you are fairly young, and it's not all that unusual to have a texture change in your teen years or early adulthood. My own curls loosened up quite a bit sometime in my teens or early twenties (not sure exactly when due to flatiron addiction).

It could also be that your hair just doesn't feel like cooperating today. We all have those days sometimes!

Margarita
May 6th, 2018, 12:38 PM
It's entirely possible to have different textures on different parts of your head, or even mixed throughout. I'm mostly 3a/3b, but I have a section of 3c-ish hair behind each ear. It has more shrinkage than the rest, too.

It's also possible your texture is changing; texture can change throughout your life as hormones change, and playa role in hair texture. If I recall correctly, you are fairly young, and it's not all that unusual to have a texture change in your teen years or early adulthood. My own curls loosened up quite a bit sometime in my teens or early twenties (not sure exactly when due to flatiron addiction).

It could also be that your hair just doesn't feel like cooperating today. We all have those days sometimes!

You're totally right about the hormonal changes. From my hair roots to my ears is straight, and the rest of my hair gets curly. So you can say my hair starts to get straight as time passes. Im 17, still in puberty and still having hormonal imbalance due to PCOS(damn PCOS..ugh). Oh, so you experienced the same as me when you were a teen?
Wellllll, the weather this week is a mess, cold and rainy....muaaaaa :(

lapushka
May 6th, 2018, 02:19 PM
Yes maybe the texture is just looser in the back. And then there's fairly little you can do (bar from tightening them with a curling wand, but I'm sure you don't want to do that). From your avatar, it seems pretty nice and tight, though.

melikai
May 6th, 2018, 02:54 PM
I've noticed on myself and on others, judging by pictures, that it is common to have that center area be a bit more straight. Usually it needs more moisture, for whatever reason, and then holds curl and wave better. :flower:

cjk
May 6th, 2018, 06:43 PM
You said that you rewet it and fix it. How, precisely?

If you have just one problematic lock of hair, you could always let it set around a foam roller before scrunching.

And yes, you can have different textures on different parts of your head. My top and sideburns are about 2a waves, and at my neck it's full ringlet curls. So long as it's roughly symmetrical, it can be made to look intentional.

Margarita
May 7th, 2018, 03:54 AM
Yes maybe the texture is just looser in the back. And then there's fairly little you can do (bar from tightening them with a curling wand, but I'm sure you don't want to do that). From your avatar, it seems pretty nice and tight, though.

Yeah it looks tight and perfect because it freshly-washed. Wait after some hours and my back hair will be straight wavy :lol: Like a smoker quits, i quit using heat tools on my head :p

Margarita
May 7th, 2018, 03:57 AM
You said that you rewet it and fix it. How, precisely?

If you have just one problematic lock of hair, you could always let it set around a foam roller before scrunching.

And yes, you can have different textures on different parts of your head. My top and sideburns are about 2a waves, and at my neck it's full ringlet curls. So long as it's roughly symmetrical, it can be made to look intentional.

Ironically, once, i used foam rollers. It was.......no dear no no no no.....I have a straight blunt cut, i dont know if it helps/changes my curls or not by the way i wouldnt want to cut layers.

lapushka
May 7th, 2018, 04:48 AM
I urge you to try and work with your curls rather than against them. If that is the way your texture naturally goes, let it be. Just give it the same attention as the rest of the hair (for fear of weighing it down otherwise), and just leave it. I'm sure it's fine.

Do you, by chance, have a picture of how it looks when you think it's "just wavy"? Might not be as bad as you think it is. :)

Margarita
May 7th, 2018, 05:07 AM
I urge you to try and work with your curls rather than against them. If that is the way your texture naturally goes, let it be. Just give it the same attention as the rest of the hair (for fear of weighing it down otherwise), and just leave it. I'm sure it's fine.

Do you, by chance, have a picture of how it looks when you think it's "just wavy"? Might not be as bad as you think it is. :)

Ofcourse i work with my curls, im just trying them to be better in soft ways like putting styling products like creme. If i were against my hair, i would burn and torture them with heat tools. Well, my hair gets various forms throughout the day, here is an example of today:

Margarita
May 7th, 2018, 05:08 AM
ugh i cannot upload photos

Margarita
May 7th, 2018, 05:10 AM
http://i64.tinypic.com/2ynfo0p.jpg

lapushka
May 7th, 2018, 08:16 AM
That looks *lovely* though! I love it! :D

Margarita
May 7th, 2018, 08:35 AM
That looks *lovely* though! I love it! :D

Really? =) You know what, maybe my OCD also takes place on that. I mean, it makes you/me(in general) see all the things different no matter the "normal" one. And if you ask, yes yes i try to ingore my OCD symptoms and i think its kind of easy so, i won =D

MusicalSpoons
May 7th, 2018, 12:09 PM
http://i64.tinypic.com/2ynfo0p.jpg

:thud: absolutely beautiful! (Take that, OCD!)

(By the way, I recently read a good way to respond to intrusive thoughts - basically just be really sarcastic back to the thoughts, pretend they're being said by a jealous, immature, spoilt brat who just wants you to feel bad about yourself. For instance:
Intrusive thought: 'your curls are ruined, they don't look like curls at all'
Response: 'oh yeah? You're just saying that because your hair will never look this awesome, you with your scraggly damaged hair that looks like rat tails'
... I don't know if that made any sense, but I used to find it helpful to treat OCD as a separate entity, because it was truly nothing to do with what my real thoughts and feelings were. And here ends the thread derailment!)

Margarita
May 8th, 2018, 11:00 AM
:thud: absolutely beautiful! (Take that, OCD!)

(By the way, I recently read a good way to respond to intrusive thoughts - basically just be really sarcastic back to the thoughts, pretend they're being said by a jealous, immature, spoilt brat who just wants you to feel bad about yourself. For instance:
Intrusive thought: 'your curls are ruined, they don't look like curls at all'
Response: 'oh yeah? You're just saying that because your hair will never look this awesome, you with your scraggly damaged hair that looks like rat tails'
... I don't know if that made any sense, but I used to find it helpful to treat OCD as a separate entity, because it was truly nothing to do with what my real thoughts and feelings were. And here ends the thread derailment!)

Oh, thank you!

Well, i have received comments on my hair looking like a wig, im not sure if thats nice or rude. Thankfully nobody has teased me or mock me about my OCD. I prefer not telling such long combacks lol i just try to give a straight answer showing im right on what i do and why i do, so you could say i cut the air of rude people with my sarcasm. I never believed i had to go to a physician to cure my OCD with medicine. Perhaps the certain OCD im experiencing is beacuse of my age and stress. Im pretty sure it'll get away when i step into adulthood. Ofcourse everybody is different and treats their problems differently.

lapushka
May 8th, 2018, 12:33 PM
Well, i have received comments on my hair looking like a wig, im not sure if thats nice or rude. Thankfully nobody has teased me or mock me about my OCD. I prefer not telling such long combacks lol i just try to give a straight answer showing im right on what i do and why i do, so you could say i cut the air of rude people with my sarcasm. I never believed i had to go to a physician to cure my OCD with medicine. Perhaps the certain OCD im experiencing is beacuse of my age and stress. Im pretty sure it'll get away when i step into adulthood. Ofcourse everybody is different and treats their problems differently.

I think it may be because it looks so shiny & thick, I would take it as a compliment. How else are you supposed to take it? And wigs aren't a negative thing! At all. In fact, they are quite popular.

If you are at all worried about the intrusive thoughts and the OCD, talk to your GP about it sometime. It won't necessarily mean you need to take medication, but there are all sorts of coping mechanisms therapists can teach you. And it might even be useful. :flower:

MusicalSpoons
May 8th, 2018, 01:40 PM
Oh, thank you!

I'm glad you haven't had any comments about the OCD :) I actually was referring to the thoughts that can be part of it, not other people - the 'voice in your head' that tells you horrible things that are actually lies. I just meant thinking of it like it was somebody horrible ... or maybe I just had a crazy way of dealing with my craziness :lol: :wink: But yes, often anxiety and related disorders are linked to stress and they do tend to manifest themselves in adolescence; if you're doing okay coping with it so far that's good - but like lapushka said, if you ever feel you want or need any help, definitely talk to your GP about it. And, if you do and you're not happy with how they treat you, find a different doctor until you get the help you seek (speaking from experience!) :flower:

The wig comment sounds strange, to me, but the only proper wigs I've seen look thick and shiny and usually carefully styled. So regardless of how the comment was intended, you can take it as a compliment anyway! :grin:

lapushka
May 8th, 2018, 02:09 PM
I'm glad you haven't had any comments about the OCD :) I actually was referring to the thoughts that can be part of it, not other people - the 'voice in your head' that tells you horrible things that are actually lies. I just meant thinking of it like it was somebody horrible ... or maybe I just had a crazy way of dealing with my craziness :lol: :wink: But yes, often anxiety and related disorders are linked to stress and they do tend to manifest themselves in adolescence; if you're doing okay coping with it so far that's good - but like lapuska said, if you ever feel you want or need any help, definitely talk to your GP about it. And, if you do and you're not happy with how they treat you, find a different doctor until you get the help you seek (speaking from experience!) :flower:

The wig comment sounds strange, to me, but the only proper wigs I've seen look thick and shiny and usually carefully styled. So regardless of how the comment was intended, you can take it as a compliment anyway! :grin:

I agree with the advice on seeking a 2nd opinion if your doctor seems closed to therapy or mental issues.

During puberty many weird things can manifest themselves! Maybe you need to outgrow it, but if it gets more serious than that once you get older, do not hesitate to bring it up with your GP. S/he is the doctor closest to you and should in fact know these things about you, if you are ready to talk about it. :flower:

Sarahlabyrinth
May 8th, 2018, 02:12 PM
Oh, your hair is gorgeous! I can't see anything to not like there! :crush:

Margarita
May 9th, 2018, 05:31 AM
Thank you all for your advices, i know its tiring always talking about me having OCD in hair help/advices/questions i post here so i would kindly ask you to pause this because i dont like it =) Is just a thing at will go away as time passes and i feel that some of my OCD is already half away.

My hair in the picture looks dark because i placed my phone in a dark spot a little bit away from light. Thank you Sarah =D

Lady Stardust
May 9th, 2018, 05:44 AM
Thank you all for your advices, i know its tiring always talking about me having OCD in hair help/advices/questions i post here so i would kindly ask you to pause this because i dont like it =) Is just a thing at will go away as time passes and i feel that some of my OCD is already half away.

My hair in the picture looks dark because i placed my phone in a dark spot a little bit away from light. Thank you Sarah =D

Please don’t feel like you’re talking about OCD too often, that’s what we’re all here for isn’t it? To provide advice, support and encouragement and sometimes a different perspective.

Your hair looks lovely x

ETA: mentioning something doesn’t necessarily mean you want an in depth discussion on it. As long as you don’t feel bad for mentioning it.

MusicalSpoons
May 9th, 2018, 06:07 AM

Ah yes, fair enough! I understand completely :) :thumbsup:

On a more hair-related note, I stand by my previous response of :thud: :D