PDA

View Full Version : Wooden Hair Toys Help!

Starchild494
May 6th, 2018, 06:29 AM
hello everyone! i have a few questions concerning wooden hair toys....

do you prefer organic over acrylic?
i have straight hair.... would a hair moon work with my hair type?
sticks or forks?
what is your fav shop?

thank you for taking the time!

Starchild494
May 6th, 2018, 06:49 AM
https://imgur.com/WJIhYMI

PixieP
May 6th, 2018, 02:53 PM
I like both wood and acrylic, they each have their ups and downs. I care more about the shape and weight and look of the fork than the material. I have two absolute favourite forks and one is wood and the other acrylic. For me I prefer forks as I am prone to chronic headaches and I need hairtoys that distribute my hair as evenly as possible. My favourite shops for forks are 60th street, Crockett Mountain woodworks and OverTheHawaiianmoon. CMW has their own website, the other two are on etsy. For acrylic sticks, WoodEverIImagine and OutNumberedNovelties on Etsy. I also like Ketylos.

I don't have any experience with moons myself. But they are hard to use, that I have picked up from others. Texture doesn't have anything to do with it, it's just a very unusual shape. However if your hair is the length in your avatar I'd think it was too short to bun with a moon, but again I am no expert.

Corvana
May 6th, 2018, 03:50 PM
I like both. I like acrylic because of the rainbow of colors it can come in, plus it's waterproof so great if it's rainy or I just washed and didn't have time to fully dry my hair before going somewhere.

Wood is lovely, too, though! Lightweight, and I love seeing its natural beauty. Simple and elegant!

I have a moon, it's small and hard to use :laugh: I don't know how to get it to work in any other way but as a half up and with it turned downwards. I need more length, and more practice!

Current favorite shop is OutNumbered Novelties on Etsy! Rich is, honestly, a gem. He does wood and acrylic work, but I think mostly sticks. But he has these really cool weapon designs that I hope to collect at some point! Especially the bow and arrow, and the scythe :crush:

Starchild494
May 6th, 2018, 04:52 PM
Ya I figured my hair would be too short for the half moon. I know my hair is still too short for just one stick but I make it work... :cool:

Starchild494
May 6th, 2018, 04:53 PM
I have checked those stay sites and I want them all! I will definitely look into the other one mentioned above! Thank you so much for taking the time to answer my questions!

cjk
May 6th, 2018, 06:32 PM
I find many plastics to typically look cheap, though nice plastics can be particularly beautiful. Orangerium, for instance, makes exquisite pieces involving resin.

Further, the way that acrylics are often designed they can look very girly. Since I'm a man, that matters in my calculation.

But none of that precludes finding a nice piece.

It means only that, between wood and acrylic, I tend to choose wood because I love the organic look, the wood grain is pretty to me, and the designs of wooden accessories have a tendency to be a bit less girly overall so they appeal to my personal aesthetic.

My favorite hair toys are a tortoiseshell French comb and a light wooden fork.

I've not tried the moon stick, yet. Notice that word...yet. It's definitely on my short list, but my hair lacks the length to put it to use.

bparnell75
May 6th, 2018, 07:02 PM
Ya I figured my hair would be too short for the half moon. I know my hair is still too short for just one stick but I make it work... :cool:

What ever you do do not start off with a moon. Forks will hold over a stick when first getting started. I agree with the others on materials used. If your hair has texture Over the moon Hawaiian is great for metal forks. If your hair is silky stick to wood forks at first. Three prongs are best. something like these :https://www.etsy.com/shop/Alpenlandkunst. Remember you cannot use wood with wet hair. I have learned by doing from BSL hair now at tail bone.

If your hair is as long as your Avatar you have plenty to begin putting up. For a quick put up in wet hair use a plastic paint brush handle.