PDA

View Full Version : Another post about over 30s with long hair

cocolover
October 31st, 2008, 11:13 AM
I was watching that new starter wife show and noticed that 2/3 of the women had hair that was at least BSL. These are supposed to be rich Hollywood wives, very fashionable, most older than their 20's. I started thinking about how many "over 30" movie stars have longer hair, a lot of them! Yet, in regular every day society it is really rare. Why is this? I realize a lot of the Hollywood stars have extensions, but if we are just talking about the look, long hair isn't considered too old for the Hollywood ladies, why for all of us regular ladies?

bunnii
October 31st, 2008, 11:21 AM
If you're rich you can do whatever you like I guess, but us mere mortals simply 'must' cut our hair so as not to 'age' ourselves (can you tell i'm talking from my bum? lol)

Amara
October 31st, 2008, 12:02 PM
Yes, "regular" folks haven't got the same standards.

mommy101405
October 31st, 2008, 12:14 PM
I doubt anyone told Angelina Jolie to chop her hair when she hit 30.

Periwinkle
October 31st, 2008, 12:20 PM
Because long hair takes lots of time to style and is very high maintenance *nod* Just think how long it takes to straighten it, and blow-dry it, every single day, and all the shampoo you'd get through shampooing the whole length all the time, and you can't even style hair that's that long...maintaining hair an inch past shoulder length takes HOURS every day and only people who can afford a dozen stylists to style each individual hair can POSSIBLY be expected to do something so difficult...

girlcat36
October 31st, 2008, 12:28 PM
I was watching that new starter wife show and noticed that 2/3 of the women had hair that was at least BSL. These are supposed to be rich Hollywood wives, very fashionable, most older than their 20's. I started thinking about how many "over 30" movie stars have longer hair, a lot of them! Yet, in regular every day society it is really rare. Why is this? I realize a lot of the Hollywood stars have extensions, but if we are just talking about the look, long hair isn't considered too old for the Hollywood ladies, why for all of us regular ladies?

I always wondered this myself!

hipmama1970
October 31st, 2008, 12:52 PM
I hope this represents a shift in society.

I'm just starting to get flak now for my hair, and I'm 38. I'm graying, too, so I get comments on how I should cut and dye it. I don't really listen, but it does make me wonder what's coming...

darkwaves
October 31st, 2008, 12:57 PM
Just ignore what you hear out there, and come and play here. Lots of us well over 30 have long hair, and plan to go even longer. (And we get positive comments on it, too.)

Deborah
October 31st, 2008, 01:07 PM
I see lots of women of every age with long hair. I think maybe folks talk about the idea that over-whatever-age folks should not wear long hair, but I don't think it affects too many ladies. It has never even crossed my mind that I should cut my hair because I am 55.

NightDaemon
October 31st, 2008, 01:17 PM
Classic-length silver hair is an amazing sight to behold. Don't fear the grays, embrace them! The power of cheese compels all you vintage cheese folks to grow! Vintage is trendy!

HotRag
October 31st, 2008, 01:31 PM
I think long hair is beautiful at all ages.

100 years ago, older ladies had long hair. Bunned, but long :-)
I will be one of that kind i hope :-)

spidermom
October 31st, 2008, 01:50 PM
I'm far too old to let anybody tell me how I should wear my hair.

embee
October 31st, 2008, 02:51 PM
Whee! What spidermom said! :)

AngelInDisguise
October 31st, 2008, 03:01 PM
I'm in my mid-thirties now and only start to let my hair grow long again (o.k. I admit it, once more....)

I think that all of these "celebrities" just act as if they were ageless. And this seems to be confirmed by society.

In "normal life" it seems as if beginning with your thirties you start beeing regarded as a neutral, not as a woman. So many shift from long, attractive hair to handy short-cuts.

Just my suggestion.

As I like beeing exotic and always found long hair more handy than short - let them talk!

DaveDecker
October 31st, 2008, 06:01 PM

Whimsical conspiracy theory A: Convince the public that certain unnamed charities solicit and collect long hair need it, and because they have far more "raw material" than they can use for their stated purpose, sell it to Hollywood extensionists who attach it to celeb heads.

Whimsical conspiracy theory B: Convince the public that X-years old is "too old" to have long hair, so when the former longhairs want to see it again, the easiest place to find it is in Hollywood media productions.

P.S. I agree with everyone here. :) and :rockerdud

girlcat36
October 31st, 2008, 06:48 PM
Whimsical conspiracy theory A: Convince the public that certain unnamed charities solicit and collect long hair need it, and because they have far more "raw material" than they can use for their stated purpose, sell it to Hollywood extensionists who attach it to celeb heads.

Whimsical conspiracy theory B: Convince the public that X-years old is "too old" to have long hair, so when the former longhairs want to see it again, the easiest place to find it is in Hollywood media productions.

P.S. I agree with everyone here. :) and :rockerdud

That is so funny! :rolling:

harley mama
October 31st, 2008, 06:55 PM

I don't think that any lady over 30 is TOO old for long hair! :D
But, I have never been one to follow the 'in' thing! ;)

DecafJane
October 31st, 2008, 07:03 PM
I'm far too old to let anybody tell me how I should wear my hair.

That is brilliant! :D

Rain76
October 31st, 2008, 07:05 PM
HotRag, I love the picture of the dog looking out in the distance! It is beautiful. Anyway, I am kind of new, and have always wondered: What is BSL? I know there is a link somewhere to the LHC terms, but I don't know how to find it. Thanks!

longhairedfairy
November 1st, 2008, 12:19 AM
HotRag, I love the picture of the dog looking out in the distance! It is beautiful. Anyway, I am kind of new, and have always wondered: What is BSL? I know there is a link somewhere to the LHC terms, but I don't know how to find it. Thanks!

BSL means "bra-strap-length," but it actually refers to the bra band, not the straps. There has been some rather amusing controversy about the term, so some people prefer to say MBL ("mid-back-length") or something similar. Mine is about hip-length, so I fortunately don't have to worry about that:D heehee.

Masara
November 1st, 2008, 01:05 AM
I've always wonderered abut this too. When I first discovered LHC, I would read threads about people barely in their thirties being told they were too old for long hair, which confused me as I'm in my forties and no-one has ever said anything (true it's only BSL) Since so many people here are in America, I thought that maybe it was a cultural thing there. Then I would turn on the telly (we have a lot of American shows here) and practically all the women would have BSLish hair, regardless of their age, especially important characters.

I wondered if it wasn't because TV and film stars are supposed to be "exotic" and different. But then why aren't "normal" people trying to copy their style? Or maybe it's a technique to make them look more "youthful". But again, why don't other people use that technique? It's a lot cheaper than Botox.
Maybe people think about stars having longer hair in the same way you could think about Angelina Jolie having 3 billion kids. "it's alright for her, she's got the time and the money to pay for nannies (or hairstylists)"

vampodrama
November 1st, 2008, 02:08 AM
Because long hair takes lots of time to style and is very high maintenance *nod* Just think how long it takes to straighten it, and blow-dry it, every single day, and all the shampoo you'd get through shampooing the whole length all the time, and you can't even style hair that's that long...maintaining hair an inch past shoulder length takes HOURS every day and only people who can afford a dozen stylists to style each individual hair can POSSIBLY be expected to do something so difficult...

yes, exactly :eyebrows:

my hair is not even BSL yet and I've already have colleagues asking me how on earth do I find the time for my hair. when I ask, puzzled, what time, she goes "but you have to wash it and blowdry it every day and oh man, I could never be bothered with such long hair..."

I replied that I wash my hair twice a week and don't even own a blowdryer.

was pretty much declared a filthy freak.

sneakybea
November 1st, 2008, 04:38 AM
I'm 39, and have yet to feel any age related pressure to cut my hair. I have to specify "age related" because my mother has been teasing me about my hair and pressuring me to cut it since I was a teen----I've just decided I'd rather she do that than pester me for grandkids, LOL! Anyway, I've always looked forward to having long silvery hair, and having long hair past the age when people think that's okay. Then I will look as unconventional as I feel.

Robbi Dehlinger
November 1st, 2008, 04:40 AM
Hi sneaky!

Your hair is so pretty, why would anyone think you should cut it? (I know, it happens to all of us)

galleth
November 1st, 2008, 05:15 AM
My Great Aunt died at 102, and she had hip-length hair, it was bright white and beautiful. She would put it up in a bun :) I sure hope I get to have hair like hers when I'm her age! ;)

MaryR2
November 1st, 2008, 05:20 AM
I've seen stylists who are "brilliant" and "in the know" often say "she should cut her hair" or that is the first thing they do in a makeover of someone. Yet I never see them say it to the Angelina Jolies or Jennifer Anistons or Heidi Klums or the countless other over 30 long hair stars. Me personally....I'm old and been there done that so I'll wear my hair as I please and if someone doesn't like it they can kiss my..........

Unzadi
November 1st, 2008, 06:29 AM
(can you tell i'm talking from my bum? lol)

When I first read that, I read it as "talking out of my BUN," which of course would be of amazing size and beauty, saying a big "nyerh" to the "must cut after age X" argument.

sneakybea
November 1st, 2008, 11:10 PM
Hi sneaky!

Your hair is so pretty, why would anyone think you should cut it? (I know, it happens to all of us)

Aw, thanks!
I should mention that I'm one of those annoyed baby-faced people, so maybe when I actually look 39 people will pressure me to cut it!

Robbi Dehlinger
November 1st, 2008, 11:14 PM
Well, people tell me I llok much younger than 56, though my face might sag a LITTLE bit more than it did 2 or 3 years ago?

I liked what a girl over at the old LHL site said once: "You need to cut your hair" "Why? Do you need some of it?"

QueenMadge
November 1st, 2008, 11:41 PM
I think perhaps it is dependent upon where you live. I live in a rural area of N. California, there are many many people, male and female with long hair here of all ages...I went to a fiber festival and there was a woman probably ten years older than me with almost ankle length fairytale ends hair....it was lovely and I was thrilled when she commented that my hair at this length looked just like hers had when it was short....maybe some day I will have lovely long fairytale ends too!