PDA

View Full Version : Extremely slippery hair

Saige
May 4th, 2018, 07:04 PM
I have a question for anyone with super slippery hair! How do you keep toys in your hair? I've tried everything and they just slide right out in under 10 minutes. I weave it in, grabbing scalp hair as I go. I even braid my hair so it has more to grab on to. Lately I just can't keep anything at all in my hair. Not even Amish pins are working. It's driving me nuts!

draysmir
May 4th, 2018, 07:16 PM
Have you tried the Elling woman bun? I found it holds up pretty well for people with more slippery hair (at least for me). What hair toys do you use? Maybe try using two hair sticks instead of one for instance, or a combination of different hair toys.

Does putting dry shampoo give you anymore grip in your hair? I find it helps on my more oily days if I am having trouble getting a bun to stay up.

divinedobbie
May 4th, 2018, 07:27 PM
I'm no expert by any means, but what kinds of hair toys have you tried? I find that two sticks works better than one or sticks with bumps (I like WEII the most by far). As for forks, most don't hold too well aside from 60th street. I think its a combination of the thin tines, super light weight and head curve. Forks with bulkier tines fall straight out of my buns.

Also I would try anchoring your bun with a ponytail first and weaving a fork or stick behind it through the base.

Crystawni
May 4th, 2018, 08:03 PM
I twist the ponytail on most of my buns for added containment, and find Celtic knot buns that distribute the bun across my head work the best. The confusion of direction keeps my slipmonster in place better, where plaits just slip/unravel in most buns and don't offer the bulk of twisting. Oh, and as a righty, I mostly direct my hairtoys from 1:30 (o'clock) through to 7:30 ish. As for pins? Yeah, my hair laughs at them. And when my hair has a giggle at everything else, I get on best with microgrooves (Quattro), spirals or helix shapes, bumpy sticks that lock in (WEII are the best) or 4 prong forks that hug my head. Claw clips on either side of your bun can also be a winner, although these sometimes slip on me, but a small one or two can be used incognito underneath the bun for extra support (with a more prominent hairtoy taking centre stage).

Rebeccalaurenxx
May 4th, 2018, 09:03 PM
A 4 prong jeter fork is my usual go to, and my hair is VERY slippy.

lithostoic
May 4th, 2018, 09:04 PM
If you figure it out let me know :'c I've been stuck in a rut of ponytails and braids because nothing holds.

Saige
May 4th, 2018, 09:42 PM
Thanks for your responses everyone! I've actually never tried the Elling woman bun. I'll have to give it a try. As for toys, I've tried regular hairsticks, TT sticks, Amish pins and 60th street forks. My hair has always been slippery but it's just been an absolute pain lately. I think the extra weight of my hair isn't helping the situation either.

Margarita
May 4th, 2018, 11:31 PM
Probably a silly question but, slippery hair means silky straight, right? :confused:

Crystawni
May 4th, 2018, 11:40 PM
Probably a silly question but, slippery hair means silky straight, right? :confused:

Silky, yes. Straight, no. Well, not in my case. :lol: Mine is mostly baby fine, virgin and low-porous, so there's nothing grabby in the mix. The waves help it somewhat, but it's still slithery like a snake with the weight of extra length making it moreso.

Margarita
May 5th, 2018, 12:04 AM
Silky, yes. Straight, no. Well, not in my case. :lol: Mine is mostly baby fine, virgin and low-porous, so there's nothing grabby in the mix. The waves help it somewhat, but it's still slithery like a snake with the weight of extra length making it moreso.

Oh, i see. Im a curly girl and i can say my hair is quite VERY soft like silk and especially when i dye it/them(i dont know how to pronounce hair if its it or they, anyway) hair i dont need to put any conditioner because it transforms into SILK. I love your hair =D I dont put yet any accesories to my hair because i prefer being down and simple.

M00bles
May 5th, 2018, 03:56 AM
I’m pretty slippery haired and when I wash I tend to default to two large claw clips for the first few days. I can still find that my buns slowly get lower and lower but sticks will fall out after half an hour!

Corvana
May 5th, 2018, 04:07 AM
On days when my hair is being wily, I find a spiral stick or three prong fork work the best!

lucid
May 5th, 2018, 04:31 AM
My hair is very slippery and stick straight. Quattro is what stays the best for me. I have a 2 pronged one, and I have ordered smaller pins from him as well, because it still slides out after a while or rotates and starts to pull.

I'm confident that I will be able to make buns stay comfortable for the whole day with the fork and 1-2 extra hidden pins (the pins are like a smaller version of the fork). I ordered the pins from Quattro because the material he uses really is A LOT less slippery than anything else I've tried. Also, they are very lightweight, which I think is good for slippery and/or thin/thinner hair. And I think that the thin prongs is good for slippery and/or thin hair, as it takes up less room in the bun, and it's just much more comfortable for me.

Other materials I've tried that doesn't work well: acrylic, wood, slick metal, flexies.

Oh, and I've never been able to do braided buns. Maybe I'm doing it wrong, but they fall apart immediately...

browneyedsusan
May 5th, 2018, 06:03 AM
If I want it to stay all day (at work), I have to anchor buns with a hairtie. (Start by making a ponytail and tying it off.) I also put my hair up fairly "tight", disc buns with small loops, nautilus around a few fingers, so the sticks barely fit. Spin pins hold for small buns. A couple of sticks hold all of my hair. Small, lightweight sticks seem to hold better for me, but YMMV. Every head of hair is different. :)
Good luck!

Zesty
May 5th, 2018, 06:33 AM
My recommendation would be 3-4 prong forks with thicker prongs (like Jeters). 60th Street forks have fairly delicate tines and mine at least are almost glassy smooth, and I find that I have difficulty getting them to hold anymore.

Have you tried spin pins? Either alone or with another toy. They are my workhorse pins and the only ones that never back out of my hair.

lapushka
May 5th, 2018, 06:36 AM
As my waves sag by the end of the week, I twist the hair around itself then coil it up, and it stays pretty well. I have no issues with it at all. I do a LWB (lazy wrap bun) each day, every day. I do use a 2 prong fork though, for stability. And that seems to do it. Sticks are far too wonky and aren't stable enough.

AmaryllisRed
May 5th, 2018, 07:19 AM
Mine has been so slippery lately! Maybe the weather?
A braided bun with a jeterfork holds well. Acrylic anything keeps sliding out.

Glitch
May 5th, 2018, 09:32 AM
Spin pins do it for me :) They’re like a dollar and very secure!

MusicalSpoons
May 5th, 2018, 09:39 AM
My hair is not quite so slippery any more, but when I was first learning hair-friendly styles I was still using silicones so it was very slippery. I found Ketylo sticks worked brilliantly (and still hold what other sticks won't) and Jeter forks, especially 4-prongers. In theory a Ketylo fork might be awesome, and I can imagine spiral sticks would work well too. Spin pins are the only things that will hold twisted styles for me.

(Funnily enough, I recently learned I can get a fairly tight nautilus bun to hold with either a 4-prong Jeterfork, or a double-wrapped nautilus with a Ketylo stick. Nothing else works for that style still!)

lapushka
May 5th, 2018, 09:42 AM
I use 2 prong forks, either Ravenslair or Quattro. The Quattro ones have microgrooves and stay put like no other. It is really nice!

Or, spin pins, you could try those, if you haven't already. I have no personal experience with them but a lot of people say they are really nice to secure a bun!

Lady Stardust
May 5th, 2018, 11:48 AM
Oh, i see. Im a curly girl and i can say my hair is quite VERY soft like silk and especially when i dye it/them(i dont know how to pronounce hair if its it or they, anyway) hair i dont need to put any conditioner because it transforms into SILK. I love your hair =D I dont put yet any accesories to my hair because i prefer being down and simple.

You’ve asked a perfectly reasonable question because this confuses a lot of people - the pronoun for “hair” is “it”.

lapushka
May 5th, 2018, 01:37 PM
You’ve asked a perfectly reasonable question because this confuses a lot of people - the pronoun for “hair” is “it”.

Margarita, if there's a question about the English language we can answer, just ask, no worries. Yes. Hair. "It". It is shiny. It is great. It is long. And right now it is late. LOL ;)

Saige
May 5th, 2018, 10:20 PM
Thanks for the tips everyone! I've never tried spin pins before. I just found some cheap ones online. I'm not sure if they're the real deal but I'll order some and try them out.

yahirwaO.o
May 6th, 2018, 02:31 PM
I just wanted to add. My hair was extremely slippery in the past and buns were impossible for me. Typical LHC toys have never worked for me either so I go for humble stretchy hair friendly ties which suits my minimal style as well.

Nowadays I use product and only bun when it greasy and sure that helps a ton but it might not the best for some people.

However braid waves give enough texture and my hair stays in any style without product like so. I braid at night and bun in the morning and it stays like a damn rock.

Try to experiment all these alternatives but don´t feel bad it is common for healthy happy hair to be like this! :)

TreesOfEternity
May 16th, 2018, 06:36 AM
Like yahirwa I can only use sticks and ficcare-like accesories when my hair gets oily. The rest of the time I bun with 2 or 3 small claw clips or with a flexi8 with no metal/plastic parts.