PDA

View Full Version : What is your care routine?

GrowlingCupcake
May 3rd, 2018, 12:08 PM
I am not certain if this should be under the Conventional Products & Hair Accessories or here so please excuse any errors.

I am aware that some people use CWC, WCC, CO, LOC, and so many more I have not had a chance to fully explore yet; there is a lot of information on these forums. But what I want to know is what your specific care routine is.

How often do you shampoo? What method do you use? What products do you use?
What do you use use after shampooing/conditioning while waiting for your hair to dry?
What kind of brushes do you use?
Do you bun/braid/something else your hair up as soon as it is dry?
Do you do anything special for sleep?
What do you do on the days you do not wash your hair?

Moving onto products:
What hair oil do you use to give it a good soak? I'm currently using C. Booth's Bath & Body oil on my hair since I cannot get a decent sized bottle of coconut oil - what I used to use growing up - for a reasonable price. Do you have any recommendations for better oils or where to find them or even if I should use coconut/argan/moroccan on my roots - which are dry as **** usually - and the rest else where?
I am currently washing with Herbal Essence's Naked Smooth and Soft shampoo, Garnier Fructis Nourishing Treat 1 Minute Hair Mask + Coconut Extract which I leave on for about 1 to 2 minutes, and then Garnier Fructis Nourishing Treat 1 Minute Hair Mask + Coconut Extract which I leave on for about 1 to 2 minutes. I will be switching over to HE's Color Me Happy shampoo, and conditioner collection soon.

After that, I've tried numerous products to try to keep my ends from getting to dry. Some of them make my hair feel tacky, and stuck together. Some of the ones I have tried are: Garnier Whole Blends Legendary Olive Replenishing Conditioner, and Not Your Mother's Way To Grow Leave-In Conditioner. I have disliked both. I do like, and use, L'Oreal Elvive Extraordinary Oil, especially on my ends. It helps but it doesn't help by a lot. I some times use this on days I do not wash my hair as I only wash my hair once a week in winter, and twice in summer. It also has the unwanted side effect of straightening my hair a bit but not, in any way, getting rid of the frizz.

When I sleep, I usually braid my hair, and if I go out, I usually tie it in a pony tail or bun it.

Is there a lightweight oil you would recommend for my ends? I don't want to weigh my hair down too much; a lot of product does that.

Personally, I do not like to use a lot of products, but I'm starting to come around to the idea that I may have to. Not just for the drieness but also to control some of the frizzing. I would also like to use some product to try to bring my waves back since they tend to disappear after being brushed often, and having oil applied to them. I am thinking of getting a spray bottle, and adding some of the Garnier leave-in conditioner to it mixed in with water to spritz on during the day. Other than that, I don't really know what to do. If anyone has any ideas, I would appreciate them.
0 Links

ravenskey
May 3rd, 2018, 12:53 PM
How often do you shampoo? Once a week.
What method do you use? CWC.
What products do you use? Faith in Nature Shampoo and Condition anything for normal to dry hair.
What do you use use after shampooing/conditioning while waiting for your hair to dry? Nothing, I just comb it.
What kind of brushes do you use? I use a wide tooth comb and and paddle brush(only when dry).
Do you bun/braid/something else your hair up as soon as it is dry? My hair takes all day to air dry so generally I leave it down - if I have to go out I English or rope braid it.
Do you do anything special for sleep? I leave it however I had it during the day unless I had it in a half up or was air drying, then I english braid.
What do you do on the days you do not wash your hair? I take it out of whatever hairdo it was in, comb, oil, comb again, brush, and put back into some sort of braided do again.

What hair oil do you use to give it a good soak? Sweet almond oil, though I have used coconut oil with good results.
Do you have any recommendations for better oils or where to find them or even if I should use coconut/argan/moroccan on my roots - which are dry as **** usually - and the rest else where? I like almond and coconut oil and argan oil is supposed to be very good, unfortunately I can't help with where to find them. Some people find that oiling or conditioning roots causes shedding, I haven't but you just have to find out yourself. If the oils you use at the moment are working on your length I'd say keep on using them.

Is there a lightweight oil you would recommend for my ends? Argan, avocado and abyssinian oil are supposed to be quite lightweight.

nycelle
May 3rd, 2018, 01:27 PM
How often do you shampoo? 2-3 times a week.
What method do you use? Wash, Condition, Leave-in mask or Leave-in conditioner.
What products do you use? Carol's Daughter Black Vanilla Moisture and Shine shampoo, Living Proof Restore conditioner, Briogeo's Strength + Moisture leave-in mask, or Briogeo's Rosarco Milk Reparative leave‑in conditioner.
What do you use use after shampooing/conditioning while waiting for your hair to dry? Nothing
What kind of brushes do you use? Wide tooth comb.
Do you bun/braid/something else your hair up as soon as it is dry? No. I sometimes wear it up using a claw clip but that's it.
Do you do anything special for sleep? Yes. I use a silk or satin cap. In the morning, it looks like I spent hours doing my hair when all I did was take the cap off...lol.
What do you do on the days you do not wash your hair? I use my Rosarco leave-in again if I feel my hair is getting dry, or I use Argan or Sweet Almond oil on my ends if I want more slip, or they're frizzy.

What hair oil do you use to give it a good soak? I don't. Hair oil doesn't moisturize my hair.
Do you have any recommendations for better oils or where to find them or even if I should use coconut/argan/moroccan on my roots - which are dry as **** usually - and the rest else where? Oils lock moisture in, they don't add it. You need to find a really good moisturizing conditioner first. As far as the oils, Argan oil for hair needs to be cosmetic grade (it's cold pressed). So if someone's buying it in a grocery store, or cooking section, they're buying food grade and it's the wrong one (they roast the nuts for food grade and you don't want that.) Other than that, just make sure whatever oil you get is 100% pure, and not a serum.

Is there a lightweight oil you would recommend for my ends? Argan, or Sweet Almond. Both are light. If cost is a factor, stick with Sweet Almond, I think it's just as good.
And this is coming from an Argan oil nut job (I currently have about 4-5 bottles.)

lapushka
May 3rd, 2018, 01:49 PM
How often do you shampoo? What method do you use? What products do you use?
What do you use use after shampooing/conditioning while waiting for your hair to dry?

My "methods" are in my signature: WCC + (ROO) + LOC
I wash my hair once a week. Products vary. I am now using a lot of products up, so it varies a lot (and it doesn't seem to matter as long as my method is basically the same).
I use a Tangle Teezer on my dry hair, and a Wet Brush on my wet hair.
I clip it up to dry and clip it up again as soon as it's dry (curly girl method)
Just loose for sleep.
I just bun it.

I don't soak my hair in oil. I can't use oil or conditioner on my scalp due to SD (seborrheic dermatitis). I would totally recommend sweet almond oil. I have used that oil on my face since I was 3 years old.

After that, I've tried numerous products to try to keep my ends from getting to dry. Some of them make my hair feel tacky, and stuck together. Some of the ones I have tried are: Garnier Whole Blends Legendary Olive Replenishing Conditioner, and Not Your Mother's Way To Grow Leave-In Conditioner. I have disliked both. I do like, and use, L'Oreal Elvive Extraordinary Oil, especially on my ends. It helps but it doesn't help by a lot. I some times use this on days I do not wash my hair as I only wash my hair once a week in winter, and twice in summer. It also has the unwanted side effect of straightening my hair a bit but not, in any way, getting rid of the frizz.

It could be you are overusing product! I only need about a coin size for my length, and it's *more* than enough product. Spread through palms, and then applied to the hair (I scrunch it in).

cjk
May 3rd, 2018, 01:50 PM
How often do you shampoo?

No more often than yearly. I water cleanse twice a week. But no shampoo.

What method do you use?

Water only. A pea sized dollop of conditioner or oil for my ends, though, now that they're getting longer.

What products do you use?

V05 milk conditioner.

Patience

Finger combing

Twist often, but not always.

Not yet but as my length increases I might.

Arrange it and love my life. Nothing special.

Aredhel
May 3rd, 2018, 06:04 PM
Usually once a week, but sometimes I need to shampoo twice a week... depends on what my scalp needs.

What method do you use?
CWC

H&S Itchy Scalp Care shampoo, Joico KPAK Clarifying shampoo (I only use this monthly), One N' Only Argan Oil Moisture Repair conditioner

Andalou Naturals Argan Oil & Shea leave-in conditioner, Nightblooming Panacea hair salve

Wooden WT comb, horn WT comb

First I spray my hair from the nape down with my HG detangling spray so that I can comb my hair out with ease, then I usually braid my hair immediately after, and I bun it the next day.

I sleep on a silk pillowcase and have my hair bunned high up with a ficcare.

I just comb and bun it.

What hair oil do you use to give it a good soak?
I don't use hair oils, I just use the detangling spray, leave-in conditioner and salve that I mentioned above... all three products have oil in them I guess (especially the detangler, which is mostly just oil), but I don't use oil on its own.

Do you have any recommendations for better oils or where to find them or even if I should use coconut/argan/moroccan on my roots - which are dry as **** usually - and the rest else where?
Unfortunately I do not, because my scalp has the opposite temperament; my roots/scalp get very oily, so oil on or near my scalp is a huge no-no.

Is there a lightweight oil you would recommend for my ends?
If there's any I'd recommend it would be argan. The only product I used to use on my ends was pure argan oil (the only oil I've tried that was light enough for my hair), until I found other products (listed above) that were better suited to my hair.

Glitch
May 4th, 2018, 12:11 AM
Every 3-4 days.

What method do you use?
Just the regular 'wash the scalp and condition the length.'

Calia Purifying (both the shampoo and conditioner), though I switch it up as needed, such as any sulphate shampoo on very oily days or any really moisturizing conditioner when feeling dry.

A little jojoba oil on the length.

Wooden Tek brush for nights and the average plastic wide tooth comb for detangling after showers.

No, my hair is usually always down (my scalp really doesn't like even the slightest tension, so I can't bun for long, etc.).

Sleeping on a silk pillowcase with loose hair.

Nothing.

Almond oil :)

Do you have any recommendations for better oils or where to find them or even if I should use coconut/argan/moroccan on my roots - which are dry as **** usually - and the rest else where?
I haven't experimented with too many oils yet, but so far I really like almond oil for a good oiling session. It leaves my hair super soft and smooth, and it's light enough that I don't need to thoroughly wash it off in the shower.

Another argan oil recommendation here :) It doesn't grease up my length for when I style with it. However, I've been trying jojoba oil instead lately and it's also been wonderful!

Katsura
May 4th, 2018, 12:49 AM
How often do you shampoo? What method do you use? What products do you use? I wash my scalp 2 or 3 times a week with a mild washing liquid that contains lactic acid and has the same acidity as skin, and doesn't contain any perfumes or colouring agents. You can use it for the whole body, bathing babies etc. It has got Sodium Laureth Sulfate, though. But I have been using it quite some time now. I don't use any conditioner.

What do you use use after shampooing/conditioning while waiting for your hair to dry? I use avocado oil for my lenghts after washing to gain softness and manageability.

What kind of brushes do you use? Tangle Teezer only.

Do you bun/braid/something else your hair up as soon as it is dry? I usually bun my hair.

Do you do anything special for sleep? I use satin pillow case, I sleep with my hair untied and tossed over the pillow.

What do you do on the days you do not wash your hair? I may add more oil.

What hair oil do you use to give it a good soak? Avocado oil. I have got a product of amla oil too, but I haven't used it as much, it's a bit new for me and I'm not sure about it yet.

Avocado oil is the most lightweight oil I've tried, It seems to absorb really well, I can even use it daytime for my complexion if I have dryness which I often do. And it's a natural source of Q10, I've learned.

This is my routine so far, but I'm not sure if I have yet found the best kind for my hair.

Joules
May 4th, 2018, 01:12 AM
How often do you shampoo? 2-3 times a week.

What method do you use? Sulfate-free shampoo, with a cone-free conditioner or a mask afterwards. Some oils pre-poo, at least on the lower half of my hairshaft. Scalp oiling once a week. Sometimes I alternate between co-washing and shampoo, if I feel like my hair needs more moisture than cleansing.

What products do you use? Natura Siberica, Eco Laboratorie. Both Russian brands, so I doubt this information would be of any use to you :) basically, anything sulfate and cone-free, with as many natural ingredients as possible.

What do you use use after shampooing/conditioning while waiting for your hair to dry? R&B from Lush and Argan oil on soaking wet hair (LCO-method), then I just leave it alone.

What kind of brushes do you use? Tangle Teezer, on dry, on wet, whatever, it's an amazing invention.

Do you bun/braid/something else your hair up as soon as it is dry? I wash my hair in the evening, so I just wait for it to be at least halfway dry and go to bed with it down. I can't be bothered to wait for it to be completely dry and then bun or braid, and I never bun or braid wet hair, it's damaging.

Do you do anything special for sleep? English braid. That's all. I wanna ged a silk sleep cap, but in Russia this idea is virtually unheard of, and ordering it from the US would be too expensive. Maybe one day I'll saw it myself.

What do you do on the days you do not wash your hair? Braid it. Sometimes I'll oil the ends lightly, if I feel like they're too dry and tangly.

What hair oil do you use to give it a good soak? Grapeseed, hempseed, olive, whatever I bought last time I went grocery shopping. I use those oils as a base, and then mix into them shea and cocoa butter, lanolin, castor oil. Sometimes I get a pre-made oil blend and try that. Coconut oil sometimes is ok, too, but it gives me protein overload pretty easily, so I haven't used it in a while.

Do you have any recommendations for better oils or where to find them or even if I should use coconut/argan/moroccan on my roots - which are dry as **** usually - and the rest else where? I use grapeseed oil on my roots. I find it quite light and it doesn't cause shedding. I invested in good quality rosemary and peppermint essential oils (nice e.o. are quite expensive here where I live), and I love scalp oil treatments with them! I prefer getting my oils from a supermarket. I find food-grade cold press extra virgin oils to be the most beneficial for my hair. Also, coconut oil can be drying, I know I already said that, but still.

Is there a lightweight oil you would recommend for my ends? I love argan oil. I haven't tried that many oils though.

leayellena
May 4th, 2018, 04:41 AM
Let's see... Hmm

How often do you shampoo? once a week or less in winter, max. twice a week on summer

What method do you use? Sulfate-free shampoo, with a coney or cone-free conditioner mostly what's on sale at Lidl or dm. Sometimes a mask for co-washing, WCC or as leave-in. Sometimes I alternate between co-washing and shampoo.

What products do you use? Hair or mask from cien or balea; Shampoo: Alverde Nutri-Care

What do you use use after shampooing/conditioning while waiting for your hair to dry? I just leave it alone.

What kind of brushes do you use? a comb. Like those combs Chinese women use. (
https://youtu.be/aEjfcr6kMiE)

Do you bun/braid/something else your hair up as soon as it is dry? Sometimes I wash my hair in the evening, so I just wait for it to be at least halfway dry and go to bed with it somewhat at least damp. I still wake up with my braid somewhat wet in the morning. I usually wash my hair in the afternoon so it has the time to dry until I go to sleep.

Do you do anything special for sleep? English braid.

What do you do on the days you do not wash your hair? Braid it. Sometimes I apply leave-in the ends lightly, if I feel like they're too dry and tangly.

What hair oil do you use to give it a good soak? does the macadamia oil in my conditioner count?

Do you have any recommendations for better oils or where to find them or even if I should use coconut/argan/moroccan on my roots - which are dry as **** usually - and the rest else where? for me a hair mask, conditioner and leave-in conditioner are all one and the same... Only shampoo, no matter if sulfate free or not makes my hair frizzy and flyaway-y.

Is there a lightweight oil you would recommend for my ends? try oils if you want, try some hair mask, regular conditioner or leave-ins... See what works for you.

YvetteVarie
May 4th, 2018, 06:17 AM
How often do you shampoo? I shampoo once a week, sometimes once every 2 weeks if I am feeling lazy
What method do you use? Wash once, deep condition and rinse
What products do you use? I am not picky about products, all I am particular about using is my shea butter mix
What do you use use after shampooing/conditioning while waiting for your hair to dry? I usually apply a glycerin based moisturiser, top it off with my shea butter mix and braid my hair so it dries in a relatively stretched state
What kind of brushes do you use? I use a wide tooth comb. But I mostly finger detangle
Do you bun/braid/something else your hair up as soon as it is dry? I usually keep it in double dutch braids or a bun
Do you do anything special for sleep? I wear a satin bonnet or scarf every night.
What do you do on the days you do not wash your hair? Nothing. I just bun/braid and go

Moving onto products:
What hair oil do you use to give it a good soak? I'm currently using C. Booth's Bath & Body oil on my hair since I cannot get a decent sized bottle of coconut oil - what I used to use growing up - for a reasonable price. Do you have any recommendations for better oils or where to find them or even if I should use coconut/argan/moroccan on my roots - which are dry as **** usually - and the rest else where? My favourites are avocado, coconut and castor oil. But I do know most people get their hair weighed down by castor oil and prefer lighter oils like olive oil

MoonRabbit
May 4th, 2018, 09:52 AM
Whenever I feel like it, that can be every 4, 7 or even 9 days.

What method do you use?
Wash with sls shampoo, Condition with cones.

Tresemme Wavy and Curly Shampoo/Conditioner and Suave Daily Clarify

I plop with a shirt for 20 to 30 minutes, take it down and juts wait

My fingers mostly, and just a normal old brush I have on wash day. I need to get a good less damaging brush.

Sometimes I will do double dutch braids when it is still damp right after the plop. If I let it dry loose I will put it in a side braid as soon as it is dry.

Just a side braid.

Freshly dried hair from a wash is always in a braid because of the post wash frizz. Second/third day hair, I will wear down if I can, or do something a little different. From day four and on it is in a bun.

I do not use oils for I have found they make my hair really dry

Dark40
May 4th, 2018, 07:35 PM
How often I shampoo?2-3 times a week.
What do you use after shampooing/conditioning? Isoplus Leave-In Conditioner.
I let it air dry up to 6 or 7 hours. Then, I apply Luster's Pink Oil Moisturizing Lotion. Next, I blow-dry for only 5 minutes.
Then, I put my hair up in a half-bun or ponytail.

M00bles
May 5th, 2018, 04:22 AM
How often do you shampoo? Once a week.

What method do you use? CWWC.

What products do you use? I use L’Oreal Elvive Extraordinary Oil Conditioner from my shoulders down, wash my scalp with Alberto Balsam Apple Shampoo, rinse, follow up Nizoral medicated shampoo which I leave in for 5 minutes or so, and then finally I follow up with Garnier Ultimate Blends Castor Oil and Maple Sap Conditioner from the shoulders down before rinsing a final time.

What do you use use after shampooing/conditioning while waiting for your hair to dry? I’ve been using Beautiful Textures Tangle Taming leave in conditioner and I’m actually quite liking it, despite it being aimed at natural hair. Although I do use a lot less than recommended. Before that it was the Ultimate Blends coconut serum.

What kind of brushes do you use? I use nothing but a Tangle Teezer.

Do you bun/braid/something else your hair up as soon as it is dry? I try to leave it down to dry as it can take over a day but after that it’s either bunned or braided.

Do you do anything special for sleep? JJJs Pretzel bun with two claw clips! Holds all night despite my tossing and turning.

What do you do on the days you do not wash your hair? I take it down, brush it, put it back up!

What hair oil do you use to give it a good soak? I usually just use coconut oil.

Do you have any recommendations for better oils or where to find them? I’m of no use here as oils on my scalp cause shedding and SD flare ups.

Is there a lightweight oil you would recommend for my ends? Probably sweet almond oil? I have a bottle of Vitamin E oil by Jäson that I sometimes use to smooth my ends down. It’s a mixture of a few but it’s not terribly expensive and you can use it for your skin too.

Ariel love
May 5th, 2018, 11:35 PM
Once evry 4 days or when it feels greasy.

What method do you use?
WC

Shampoo: FOLLOW ME jojoba and aloevera extra mild shampoo
Conditioner: Dove Nourishing Oils
Deep conditioner: Natura Keratin Treatment

Nothing just leave it to dry naturally.

Wooden paddle brush, wide tooth plastic comb.

As my hair is just slightly brushing my shoulders I just leave it the way it is.

I sleep on a silk pillowcase but let it loose.

Sometimes low ponytails otherwise just let it loose.

I use henna infused mustard oil.

Well i dont know if you have heard about it but mustar oil is considered best oil in our country so you can give it a try, its not so expensive as well. one important think cooking oil is different from mustard oil as per my experience.

Sweet almond oil or mineral both are good for ends.

GrowlingCupcake
May 7th, 2018, 07:27 AM
Thanks guys! You've given me lots of information to work with. I think I'm going to try to find some sweet almond oil to try out, as well as a silk cap.

Oiling definitely does not make me shed; it's usually a godsend for winter here since it's so freaking dry.

Did you all have to try a lot of hair care products, and routines before finding ones that worked for you? I've only really started taking care of my hair since last year, and even that has been half-hearted at best. But hey, it's between my waist and tailbone even after trims, and two largeish (5 to 6 inches) cuts. So clearly it's going okay.

Joules
May 7th, 2018, 08:20 AM
Did you all have to try a lot of hair care products, and routines before finding ones that worked for you? I've only really started taking care of my hair since last year, and even that has been half-hearted at best. But hey, it's between my waist and tailbone even after trims, and two largeish (5 to 6 inches) cuts. So clearly it's going okay.

Yes and no. I tried a metric ton of average commercial products (like Dove, Garnier, Herbal Essences, etc., I didn't have the money to afford expensive luxurious brands) before I realised sulfates and cones were destroying my hair and I actually needed something gentle and as natural as possible. After that pretty much everything I tried was at least ok. There was a brief period inbetween when I was putting a lot of food into my hair (like washing with eggs end stuff like that), but I prefer to not talk about it :D

Some of the things I found during those first weeks of my natural sls- and cone-free free routine (which was almost 8 years ago) I still love and use to this day. And I love trying out new brands and products, just for fun.

As for routines, there's no perfect one to stick to for your entire life. During those 8 years I tried a few different routines, some of them lasted for years. Right now I'm on no particular routine, I'm just listening to my hair. Sometimes it needs heavy oiling and gentle shampoo, sometimes it needs co-washing, sometimes clarifying.

ravenskey
May 7th, 2018, 09:00 AM
Thanks guys! You've given me lots of information to work with. I think I'm going to try to find some sweet almond oil to try out, as well as a silk cap.

Oiling definitely does not make me shed; it's usually a godsend for winter here since it's so freaking dry.

Not at all - I kept most of my old routine and just added oiling, using a wide toothed comb and CWC rather than just WC.

Trip
May 7th, 2018, 10:46 AM
How often do you shampoo? What method do you use? What products do you use? I used to do it once a week but now every 3-4 days. I use ogx products most of the time or whatever organic herbal stuff i can find at the store
What do you use use after shampooing/conditioning while waiting for your hair to dry? grapseed or sweet almond oil occasionally ogx coconut oil hydrating spray
What kind of brushes do you use? tangle teaser and bbb
Do you bun/braid/something else your hair up as soon as it is dry? i wear my hair down unless im eating or working sometimes i will braid it while its still damp for morning waves but i feel like it gives me breakage so very rarely
Do you do anything special for sleep? I wear it down right now but use a silk pillowcase- i wore a silk cap and might go back once my bangs grow out (stopped because it deformed my bangs)
What do you do on the days you do not wash your hair? Nothing usually bbb if its looking greasy

waff
May 7th, 2018, 12:06 PM
One a week.
What method do you use?
I have problematic scalp and I like to make sure it's very clean.
I shampoo three times, I shampoo once with a clarifying shampoo (Redken cleansing cream), the second time with a medicated dandruff shampoo (Nizoral), third time with a moisturizing shampoo (Suave professionals almond and shea butter).
I use a scalp massager as it helps cleanse my scalp + stimulate blood flow.
I detangle my hair in the shower using Suave professionals almond shea butter and a tangle teaser, then I follow up with a deep conditioner treatment (Macadamia oil hair masque).
Redken cleansing cream
Nizoral shampoo
Suave professionals almond and shea butter shampoo and conditioner
Macadamia Professional Nourishing Moisture Masque
Beyond The Zone Turn Up The Heat Protection Spray
Organix Nourishing Coconut Milk Anti‑Breakage Serum
Tangle teaser
I blow dry my hair as straight as I can get it, and flat iron it if I feel like it.
I just put it in a bun out of my face.
I finger comb it and I avoid brushing it. Recently I started adding some serum to the ends before bed, but I am not sure if it's something I will be doing consistently in my routine.