PDA

View Full Version : Assistance with BF's hair type and care

Qadupae
May 2nd, 2018, 01:14 AM
Heyo everyone! So I may have give up on my long hair journey, but my bf has been inspired by my attempts and is trying to do it for his hair. However, his hair type is waaaaayy different from mine and I need assistance in understanding its type and care methods that might help. First off, pictures!

http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=31485&d=1525244992http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=31484&d=1525244987
http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=31483&d=1525244982http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=31482&d=1525244978
http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=31481&d=1525244973http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=31480&d=1525244968

Currently thinking he is about a 2b/m/ii or 2b/c/ii Would you guys agree on that? Or need clarification?

Next up is conditions on his scalp and hair. He gets sebum issues a lot with his hair, which causes dandruff, but using Head&Shoulders everyday causes his hair to get all wispy and poofy, even with using a smoothing conditioner after. I did try using onf of my Nightblooming oils before he went to bed one night, which helped a bit, but still wispy and unmanageable. Think there might be something else he might have to try for shampooing or oils pre or post wash?

And of course, any clarification you guys need first I shall try to answer ^_^

lucid
May 2nd, 2018, 02:34 AM
I don't have any tips, but following this as it sounds like my boyfriend's issues. I think they have about the same hair type. His hair gets greasy super fast, and then it looks thin. After shampoo it looks very poofy and full, but kinda dry. He doesn't have male pattern baldness though, but diffuse thinning. He didn't use to have a problem with greasy hair, so I suspect having a bit thinner hair and strands makes it greasy faster? He used to have very thick hair, but now it's about my thickness.

He had major flaking, but after he started using nizoral 2%, his flaking has gotten a lot better. He has scalp psoreasis (diagnosed) and shorter hair helps for that, but the flaking never went completely away. So I suspect SD as well, since nizoral 2% helped (1% does nothing for him).

Lumienkeli
May 2nd, 2018, 04:06 AM
Your boyfriends hair could be much wavier than you think. When my DH started to grow out his hair it was a bit floppy, looked 1c perharps. When he reached chin length it looked 2a/2b. Now, he is APL+ and his upper layer is 2c with 3a curls under it.

I would approach your BF's hair as wavy/potential curly.

lapushka
May 2nd, 2018, 06:02 AM
Hard to tell from hair that short! I think it might be wurly, though.

I have SD, aka seborrheic dermatitis and so I use Nizoral 2% as my medicated shampoo whenever I get flakes. He might have a dermatologist look at his scalp if H&S is not effective enough.

Also, to combat the dryness of the shampoo, I use the WCC method, which means I condition or mask twice after a wash. It brings my waves back to life. All of my routine is in my signature, should you be interested. And if you have questions, just ask!

Qadupae
May 2nd, 2018, 06:19 AM
Thank you so much guys! I think I will look into the Nizoral option, maybe look for conditioners more geared towards curly hair too then. I know most the condis we have around were for me, with my super straight hair that I tend to get smoothers for. Will keep you all updated as things are tested.

wannabe-rusalka
May 2nd, 2018, 11:53 AM
I would say his hair definitely looks like C in texture but thickness and curl pattern (or lack there of) will probably take a bit of time to tell for sure.

If he has problems with sebum and dandruff maybe try out some shampoos without sulfates if he has a history with sensitive or dry skin- I know sulfates would dry my hair out a ton and cause dandruff because of the irritation. However if hes very very oily I would probably stay away from sulfate free because that could cause his dandruff to flare up worse.

Soaking his hair in oil over night or for at least an hour before washing it would probably help with his hair being so dry.

Good luck :)

lapushka
May 2nd, 2018, 12:42 PM
Thank you so much guys! I think I will look into the Nizoral option, maybe look for conditioners more geared towards curly hair too then. I know most the condis we have around were for me, with my super straight hair that I tend to get smoothers for. Will keep you all updated as things are tested.

Only the Nizoral 1% is OTC in the US, for the 2% (which is the norm here in Belgium, we don't have the 1%) you will need a prescription from a dermatologist.

Alex Lou
May 2nd, 2018, 01:32 PM
Does he brush or comb his hair? If so, get him to just leave it alone after a shower without combing and assess the texture when it's dry.

Qadupae
May 6th, 2018, 11:44 AM
Updates:

He tried the WCC method and his hair still got pretty wispy, but then again he was still using my smoothing condis instead of something for curly hair. We still need t get stuff more geared to curls. Haven't gotten Nizoral stuff yet. Alex Lou, he lets it air dry, no combing or brushing, normally not even when its dry.

lapushka
May 6th, 2018, 03:04 PM
Updates:

He tried the WCC method and his hair still got pretty wispy, but then again he was still using my smoothing condis instead of something for curly hair. We still need t get stuff more geared to curls. Haven't gotten Nizoral stuff yet. Alex Lou, he lets it air dry, no combing or brushing, normally not even when its dry.

I don't use any "specific" conditioners for curls or waves. I think that's just nonsense, TBH. A conditioner is a conditioner. Just make sure you get conditioners for dry, damaged hair as those are the most moisturizing on the market; that's the secret. ;)

It may take some getting used to and some added length to start seeing a major difference. :flower:

Glitch
May 6th, 2018, 08:44 PM
Hard to tell from hair that short! I think it might be wurly, though.

I have SD, aka seborrheic dermatitis and so I use Nizoral 2% as my medicated shampoo whenever I get flakes. He might have a dermatologist look at his scalp if H&S is not effective enough.

Also, to combat the dryness of the shampoo, I use the WCC method, which means I condition or mask twice after a wash. It brings my waves back to life. All of my routine is in my signature, should you be interested. And if you have questions, just ask!

I agree. You can't be completely certain when it's super short, in my opinion! I naturally have 1a pin straight hair down to my eyebrows/ears and had hair like your boyfriend's length until my teens. I never even knew I had wavy hair until I finally grew it out. I was shocked lol. Similarly, now that it's much longer at waist length, my waves are naturally weighed down to where I have to scrunch them for them to really appear. Length can be a big factor - I'd wait to type his hair until it grows out some more! :)