PDA

View Full Version : Advice please on damaged hair.

Kibrah
May 1st, 2018, 10:38 PM
So.. I have damaged my hair soaking in alkaline hot springs. Now that I know better I will of course keep my hair well out of the water in the future. It is feeling better now that I have started CWC washing with a vinegar rinse. I did a small trim, perhaps 1/2 inch total last week using directions here for a straight hem. As you can see in the photo my hemline is still an inverted u. It was this way before the trim. I think this is from breakage, not only from the hot spring damage, but from constant ponytails. I am bunning in the day and braiding at night now that I know better, thanks to this forum. It also feels thinner at the back of the head and nape area. Could this be from the daily ponytail was well? I did use scrunches. This area was also the most tangled, from sleeping and rubbing on shirts etc. I am thinking about doing micro trims to help blunt the hemline and slowly cut off the most damaged ends. Do you guys think my hair is to damaged for this approach? It still seems fragile since even the most gentle finger combing has me hearing a few tinks of snapped hair. They snap without me feeling any caught hairs or tangles. I just hate the thought of a big cut. Also I noticed today when messing with a shed strand that it is very stretchy, is this normal? I have some leave in conditioner, the only one I could find here in this tiny town, it has proteins in it. Might this help the damage? It is Garner Fructis with active fruit protein, sleek and shine. I know nothing will fix the damage, I just want to try to get it healthy as possible in hopes I can micro trim the damage as my hair is growing. I am not sure yet how to include a photo. But I have added the photo as my profile pic and avatar. Thanks for any help and advice.

Kibrah
May 1st, 2018, 10:42 PM
I think this is a link to the photo on photo bucket.

http://s61.photobucket.com/user/Kibrah77/library/

Wendyp
May 2nd, 2018, 05:28 AM
What’s helping me grow out my damage is monthly reconstructive treatments. Olaplex or redken ph bonder. That plus my routine, and sleeping in a braid.

lapushka
May 2nd, 2018, 05:58 AM
Alkaline "stuffs" can really wreak havoc on the hair, especially things like baking soda and such, if not used properly. I never knew hot springs were alkaline.

Don't braid too tightly in the night because having hair contained and then being a rough sleeper can cause breakage as well. I don't mean to alarm or scare you, but a sleeping bonnet might be better at night.

I would not "overdo" it, and just use your washing method and a good conditioner. Conditioners for dry and damaged hair are the most moisturizing on the market. So I'd give those a go. The masks by Garnier Whole Blends (olive, honey, avocado) are great, and so are the conditioners from that line. I think that would be a tad better than Garnier Fructis.

Good luck!

Jo Ann
May 2nd, 2018, 06:08 AM
Along with what's been mentioned, I would give micro-trimming a go. I'd trim 1/4-1/2 inch per month, which would be roughly your monthly growth, until your hemline is more even.

Kibrah
May 2nd, 2018, 01:08 PM
I'll keep an eye out for the whole blend instead of the fructis. Thanks. I haven't seen it yet, but perhaps when we go through a larger city. I do have a moistureizing poo and conditioner. So I will just keep this up and do micro trims. I am a somewhat restless sleeper, but haven't noticed my braid being fuzzy or anything, but I will keep this in mind. I hope to get a silk scarf to wrap either my pillow or head in at night. Dh nixed the sleep cap idea.

Larki
May 2nd, 2018, 03:36 PM
How exactly is it damaged? That's weird, I've soaked in hot springs several times, including my hair, and it actually made it softer. The only weird effect was that it turned my hair strawberry blonde for a few weeks.

YvetteVarie
May 3rd, 2018, 05:31 AM
I relax my hair, so I am used to having very alkaline stuff on my head. The most important thing is to listen to your hair. Give it protein when it needs it, and always use moisturising products. Oiling the damaged ends my also help to prevent further friction and breakage. Just be gentle, and you will be able to grow out the damage. All the best to you

Kibrah
May 3rd, 2018, 10:11 AM
How exactly is it damaged? That's weird, I've soaked in hot springs several times, including my hair, and it actually made it softer. The only weird effect was that it turned my hair strawberry blonde for a few weeks.

Hot springs will vary in their alkalinity and mineral content. This one was above a ph 10 with heavy mineral content. My hair was very tangley and brittle. It was kinda crunchy. The bottom few inches were and still are the worst. When I would brush they were just breaking off and would have a little pile of short hairs in my lap.

I relax my hair, so I am used to having very alkaline stuff on my head. The most important thing is to listen to your hair. Give it protein when it needs it, and always use moisturising products. Oiling the damaged ends my also help to prevent further friction and breakage. Just be gentle, and you will be able to grow out the damage. All the best to you

Yes oiling seems to help. I put some coconut oil on last night as the ends were starting to feel crunchy again. This morning they are much better. How do I know when it needs protien?

Glitch
May 4th, 2018, 02:25 AM
Yes oiling seems to help. I put some coconut oil on last night as the ends were starting to feel crunchy again. This morning they are much better. How do I know when it needs protien?

Personally, when my hair (usually the ends) is crunchy, brittle and “straw-like” it’s a sign that I have protein or silicone overload. But anyway, some signs of needing protein are when the hair looks limp, feels “gummy” with the stretching and snaps easily, and is just weak overall (like if you carefully stretch a strand but it doesn’t fully return to normal). It’s not hard to over-do the protein though, so always be cautious of how your hair is behaving when experimenting. Protein strengthens hair, but if the hair already has enough and something else is the problem (like silicone build up) then it will just worsen things. I would recommend clarifying or chelating, followed by a deep silicone-free conditioner, which will result in very clean and super moisturized hair :) If it’s a great change, you’ll find out if build up (often even from certain shampoo ingredients) or silicones are the damaging factors, or if it really is just protein you’re needing.

Oh and yeah I’m a big fan of microtrimming! However, I’ve been in your shoes and actually trimmed a lot off, only to find out I just had a sensitivity to too much silicone and didn’t need to cut anything off. Just needed to clarify and be picky with my conditioners, and all my hair went back to normal. I suggest to try to fix the problem first before potentially cutting off parts that don’t actually need to go.

Kibrah
May 4th, 2018, 12:19 PM
Personally, when my hair (usually the ends) is crunchy, brittle and “straw-like” it’s a sign that I have protein or silicone overload. But anyway, some signs of needing protein are when the hair looks limp, feels “gummy” with the stretching and snaps easily, and is just weak overall (like if you carefully stretch a strand but it doesn’t fully return to normal). It’s not hard to over-do the protein though, so always be cautious of how your hair is behaving when experimenting.

Except for the very ends, what you describe sounds like my hair. It is very stretchy and limp. I have clarified once a week since the in tial problem happened a few months ago. Sounds like I need to look into chelating shampoo as well and see if that help. I picked up a silicone free conditioner and shampoo to see if that was part of the problem. My only concern my hair tangles so easy I am afraid there won't be enough slip to detailed.

Tha k you everyone for all the help and advice. I still have so much to learn.

Glitch
May 4th, 2018, 01:07 PM
Except for the very ends, what you describe sounds like my hair. It is very stretchy and limp. I have clarified once a week since the in tial problem happened a few months ago. Sounds like I need to look into chelating shampoo as well and see if that help. I picked up a silicone free conditioner and shampoo to see if that was part of the problem. My only concern my hair tangles so easy I am afraid there won't be enough slip to detailed.

Tha k you everyone for all the help and advice. I still have so much to learn.

Don’t worry, you will figure it out :) My hair gets tangly and dry without silicones at times, so sometimes I’ll use it. I just can’t go overboard is all. What helps a lot is leaving on the silicone-free conditioner for a lot longer so the moisture can really soak in. However if it’s not what’s been upsetting your hair, on to the next experiment! Best of luck to you and always feel free update here etc.

Kibrah
May 29th, 2018, 07:08 PM
Just an update for everyone who has given me such wonderful advice. My hair is doing much better. I know the damage won't ever go away, but it feels like normal hair now. The crunchy ends are better. I think dryness from arid desert air mixed with cone residue was the problem. Also as adviced, I am keeping my sleep braid nice loose. Not seeing any breakage from that. My current routine has been cwc only when my scalp is getting greasy, which is less often than I thought, about every 4 or 5 days. Every other wash I use a leave in with protein as well. That has helped with it being strechy, but not quite enough. I may start doing it after every wash for a bit. I am oiling the ends as needed, which seems to be every few days in humid areas and at least once a day when we are in more arid places. I just did a deep condition today after I clarified. On the 1st I plan to do a measurement and a micro trim to get of some more damaged ends. I am so thankful for all of your advice. It has really helped me. The advice to not go overboard and to just keep at was especially helpful. I wanted it fixed so badly I might have just run off and emptied the stores to try everything.

Glitch
May 29th, 2018, 07:54 PM
Just an update for everyone who has given me such wonderful advice. My hair is doing much better. I know the damage won't ever go away, but it feels like normal hair now. The crunchy ends are better. I think dryness from arid desert air mixed with cone residue was the problem. Also as adviced, I am keeping my sleep braid nice loose. Not seeing any breakage from that. My current routine has been cwc only when my scalp is getting greasy, which is less often than I thought, about every 4 or 5 days. Every other wash I use a leave in with protein as well. That has helped with it being strechy, but not quite enough. I may start doing it after every wash for a bit. I am oiling the ends as needed, which seems to be every few days in humid areas and at least once a day when we are in more arid places. I just did a deep condition today after I clarified. On the 1st I plan to do a measurement and a micro trim to get of some more damaged ends. I am so thankful for all of your advice. It has really helped me. The advice to not go overboard and to just keep at was especially helpful. I wanted it fixed so badly I might have just run off and emptied the stores to try everything.

Thrilled to know! <3 I'm sure it'll get even better from here on :D