PDA

View Full Version : Hair Toys for Beginners

Tehillim408
May 1st, 2018, 07:41 AM
What hair toy would you recommend for the ultimate beginner or for the returning novice? It's been a while since I've been active on the forum. Since that time, my hair has reached waist length (yay!), and it is very thick and slippery. I'm thinking something made from wood?

mwallingford
May 1st, 2018, 09:52 AM
Hello! I'm definitely not an expert, but how about hair forks? Forks work much better than sticks for me with my slippery hair, but my hair isn't quite as thick as yours. Or have you ever tried a helix fork? I only recently purchased mine, but they're so unique looking and hold my hair just as well as regular forks. A lot of people also swear by ficcares and Flexi clips (which I have to agree with), but ficcares can be a bit pricy. I got mine off of the swap board though, so if you have enough time you could always wait for one to pop up. Best of luck with your search, and congratulations on reaching waist length!

eadwine
May 1st, 2018, 10:39 AM
Flexi-8. Been using it for well over .. oi.. 11 or 12 years now. I'm getting old.. LOL

slynr
May 1st, 2018, 11:53 AM
Can't go wrong with 60th street;)

Deborah
May 1st, 2018, 12:28 PM
Goody Spin Pins are great. They hold the hair well in most any type of updo. They basically twist into the hair. Sometimes you will see them referred to as hair screws. Most Targets and Walmarts have them. If you try them, make sure to get the longer length, not the mini spin pins. I find those just too short to hold well.

Best of luck on your search for hairtoys that work well! :flower:

MusicalSpoons
May 1st, 2018, 12:32 PM
There are lots of different styles of forks to be found, especially on etsy; it really depends if budget is a factor and where you are in the world as to which sellers you might choose to try first. I personally love Jeter forks, although there are some who don't get on with the wider tines and prefer ones such as 60th Street. There's also Over The Hawaiian Moon, and ... I don't recall other thin-tined fork makers off the top of my head. ReDoodle does wooden spiral sticks, as does WoodBerryArt (I hear they are grippier than straight sticks). You can also find cheaper, mass-produced hairtoys from sellers based in places like Indonesia and Bali, if you feel you want to try a few different numbers of prongs and lengths to work out what works well for your hair, without spending an awful lot.

Have fun exploring the world of hairtoys! :grin:

ETA: Ooh yes, just seen the above post and I agree, spin pins are awesome too! They're the only thing that hold twisted hairstyles for me - flexi-8s will also hold the hair in a twisted hairstyle but will slide loose and rotate as my hair rebels. :lol: