PDA

View Full Version : Excessive shedding - thyroid normal - Nioxin drying

tangocurl
April 30th, 2018, 07:54 PM
Hi all,

I have been here on and off for a while. I have been 100% no heat since Jan. 1. No dye for five years.

I have been losing more hair than normal since last fall. I just got done with a bunch of thyroid testing and all was normal/negative.

Henna and cassia help with scalp residue, but it is really “involved” and not something I can make time for more than 2x per month. And, I don’t want to over-saturate my henna.

Nioxin shampoo and conditioner (applied to scalp only as best as I can manage) help too, but they seem drying to where they touch my hair.

I treat my ends with care. Wide comb, microfiber towel, satin pillowcases, oiling, hair up all the time.

Rogaine/minoxidil side effects look horrible so that is out of the question.

I eat an excellent diet. I cook my own food from scratch. Whole, clean foods. Lean protein, veggies, etc.

What can I try next?

biotin? Other hair vitamins?

thank you....

Lumienkeli
April 30th, 2018, 11:11 PM
Did you checked your iron level too? Low iron level can cause massive shedding and weak nails as well.
Or can be a tooth problem. I am shedding more since last fall too, I know how frustrating is this. I count my shed hairs. Well, this way I know it not increased since last month. I am going to check a previously root canal traitmented tooth which is still sensitive.

There is a topic about essential oils, you can check it too:
http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=2001

I hope you find out the cause soon. Fingers crossed for you!

ReptilianFeline
May 1st, 2018, 03:46 AM
What about stress? Never underestimate that beast that creaps up on you.

lapushka
May 1st, 2018, 06:05 AM
Yes, wondering. How was the rest of your blood panel? OK?

What did your doctor recommend you could do?

Wendyp
May 1st, 2018, 10:34 AM
Hi all,

I have been here on and off for a while. I have been 100% no heat since Jan. 1. No dye for five years.

I have been losing more hair than normal since last fall. I just got done with a bunch of thyroid testing and all was normal/negative.

Henna and cassia help with scalp residue, but it is really “involved” and not something I can make time for more than 2x per month. And, I don’t want to over-saturate my henna.

Nioxin shampoo and conditioner (applied to scalp only as best as I can manage) help too, but they seem drying to where they touch my hair.

I treat my ends with care. Wide comb, microfiber towel, satin pillowcases, oiling, hair up all the time.

Rogaine/minoxidil side effects look horrible so that is out of the question.

I eat an excellent diet. I cook my own food from scratch. Whole, clean foods. Lean protein, veggies, etc.

What can I try next?

biotin? Other hair vitamins?

thank you....

Hmmmmm “normal” they told me I was “normal for years too. Your tsh really has to be 1-2 for your body to work right. And I agree I hope the did an entire blood panel, hormones (doesn’t matter your age), vit d, iron, mineral deficiencies etc. But if not that check ur shampoo and conditioner and for me oiling my scalp was the cause of my extreme shedding. Wasn’t until this year that I figured that out.

Lady Stardust
May 1st, 2018, 03:50 PM
Clean eating can sometimes mean very low fat and/or low calorie. I don’t know how much fat there is in your current diet but it might be worth adding in some more “good” fats such as nuts, seeds and avocados? If you’re already eating these it might help to up the amounts for a while to see if things improve.

tangocurl
May 1st, 2018, 08:09 PM
Thank you, ALL! This is such a kind place.

My CBC was normal, including iron. I went to an allopathic doc — not a naturopath, who might have different and better ideas for normal...and I do supplement with borage oil and eat plenty of olive oil, butter, cheese and nuts.

I think scalp buildup is an issue for me — because Nioxin helps. But Nioxin works best when you shampoo regularly, like at least every other day. I keep it diluted with distilled water in a hair color applicator bottle in the shower so I can aim it on my scalp. Same with the conditioner. I also douse my length in VO5 before cleansing my scalp. I notice more shedding when I stretch washes.

Stress is is a factor. I’m addressing it.

So so I guess my focus now is on what I can do about scalp buildup if I don’t wash every day, and sometimes every third day!

Wendyp
May 2nd, 2018, 05:51 AM

My CBC was normal, including iron. I went to an allopathic doc — not a naturopath, who might have different and better ideas for normal...and I do supplement with borage oil and eat plenty of olive oil, butter, cheese and nuts.

I think scalp buildup is an issue for me — because Nioxin helps. But Nioxin works best when you shampoo regularly, like at least every other day. I keep it diluted with distilled water in a hair color applicator bottle in the shower so I can aim it on my scalp. Same with the conditioner. I also douse my length in VO5 before cleansing my scalp. I notice more shedding when I stretch washes.

So so I guess my focus now is on what I can do about scalp buildup if I don’t wash every day, and sometimes every third day!

I shed if I don’t wash, my hair hates oil including my own. So I can’t answer how to deal with it without washing.

MusicalSpoons
May 2nd, 2018, 06:34 AM
Do you put the conditioner on your scalp? If so, that's a potential cause.

lapushka
May 2nd, 2018, 08:13 AM

Maybe the key is not to stretch - nobody says you should, and if you can't then you can't, which is perfectly OK! :flower:

Wendyp
May 2nd, 2018, 08:41 AM
Maybe the key is not to stretch - nobody says you should, and if you can't then you can't, which is perfectly OK! :flower:

Yes this. I dont think everyone can stretch washes. Stretching is not great for everyone. Learned this the hard way lol got my hair long but it’s not the best it can be. essential is to pay attention to what your hair and scalp needs.

tangocurl
May 3rd, 2018, 07:57 AM
Do you put the conditioner on your scalp? If so, that's a potential cause.

Not VO5. Just the Nioxin. Which seems to help, as long as I wash at least every other day. I don’t oil my scalp either. I’ve tried diluted essential oils like rosemary, but they don’t work as well as Nioxin. I wish for a solution that can let me stretch washes. I’m coming around to the conclusion that scalp buildup is my main problem.

Yes this. I dont think everyone can stretch washes. Stretching is not great for everyone. Learned this the hard way lol got my hair long but it’s not the best it can be. essential is to pay attention to what your hair and scalp needs.

Yeah, if I stretch washes so much to protect the length, it won’t matter if I don’t have any hair left. JK, but I am a fine and thin haired person, and I need ALL my hairs. LOL

Lady Stardust
May 3rd, 2018, 09:00 AM
Another one chiming in here to say that stretching washes isn’t for everyone. A healthy scalp has to come first, I know you already know that, I just think it’s helpful for it to be repeated. Sometimes my resolve weakens when I see people talking about how great stretching washes has been for their hair. I don’t doubt that it is great for some, but I know that it’s not good for me. There are a lot of us who need to wash every day or every other day. I love the feeling of freshly washed hair anyway so it’s a good result for me!

MusicalSpoons
May 3rd, 2018, 09:15 AM
Not VO5. Just the Nioxin. Which seems to help, as long as I wash at least every other day. I don’t oil my scalp either. I’ve tried diluted essential oils like rosemary, but they don’t work as well as Nioxin. I wish for a solution that can let me stretch washes. I’m coming around to the conclusion that scalp buildup is my main problem.

Yeah, if I stretch washes so much to protect the length, it won’t matter if I don’t have any hair left. JK, but I am a fine and thin haired person, and I need ALL my hairs. LOL

Fair enough. I don't know anything about Nioxin so this might be a stupid question, but is it necessary to put the Nioxin conditioner on your scalp? If not, have you tried without? (Though if it's a medicated product, definitely best to follow the instructions!)

I'd usually suggest thinking about scalp washing, but at APL I don't know whether that would be feasible, and I also don't know how difficult it would be with using conditioner.

Hmm. Going almost the complete opposite of stretching washes, perhaps CWC might help protect your lengths a bit, especially if you can use a thick conditioner as the first C.

Just rereading the thread, you say your CBC was normal. Have you seen a copy of your results? Often the 'normal' range for vitamins/minerals actually goes down to 'just enough to not be deficient', but the bottom of the range isn't always optimal for the body to be functioning well. Or, vice versa (e.g. where a higher value indicates less functioning).

Ultimately though, we have to go with what our scalp wants, not what we want :) if washing more often is better, then that's what you'll have to do. And maybe in time, if the Nioxin has good effects, you may get to the point where your scalp starts to tolerate a little stretching. I understand your frustration though, when what your scalp wants and what your hair wants are at odds; if you can somehow find a way to do scalp washing sometimes instead of full washing, your lengths might be happier (that's what I've had to do).

tangocurl
May 3rd, 2018, 04:30 PM
Fair enough. I don't know anything about Nioxin so this might be a stupid question, but is it necessary to put the Nioxin conditioner on your scalp? If not, have you tried without? (Though if it's a medicated product, definitely best to follow the instructions!)

I'd usually suggest thinking about scalp washing, but at APL I don't know whether that would be feasible, and I also don't know how difficult it would be with using conditioner.

Hmm. Going almost the complete opposite of stretching washes, perhaps CWC might help protect your lengths a bit, especially if you can use a thick conditioner as the first C.

Just rereading the thread, you say your CBC was normal. Have you seen a copy of your results? Often the 'normal' range for vitamins/minerals actually goes down to 'just enough to not be deficient', but the bottom of the range isn't always optimal for the body to be functioning well. Or, vice versa (e.g. where a higher value indicates less functioning).

Ultimately though, we have to go with what our scalp wants, not what we want :) if washing more often is better, then that's what you'll have to do. And maybe in time, if the Nioxin has good effects, you may get to the point where your scalp starts to tolerate a little stretching. I understand your frustration though, when what your scalp wants and what your hair wants are at odds; if you can somehow find a way to do scalp washing sometimes instead of full washing, your lengths might be happier (that's what I've had to do).

Everything normal. Iron might have been slightly low, but I’ve been lower before without shedding....

I do saturate my ends with VO5 before putting Nioxin shampoo on my scalp, but I am wondering if I should oil my ends before washing too? Avocado, jojoba or coconut for this purpose? My hair likes all those oils, wet and dry.