PDA

View Full Version : White split ends! What to do now :( Please help

TheForestFae
April 30th, 2018, 06:03 AM
So here is my story, as some of you guys may have known that my hair is really damaging right now. For those who dont know, my hair has been through harsh treatment 2 months ago, which is bleaching and dying at the same time :(.

3 weeks ago, I have spotted a lot of white split ends at the end of my hair, which is like a warning sign for me to know that this is the time to cut it. But I was so scare to lose my length, I mean it took so much time and effort to achieve it. So eventually, I came out with another solution, and that is S&D. It took me 3 hours just to destroy every white split ends, and still, that's not all of them :(. It not just "search & destroy" anymore, only destroy and destroy and then, destroy. I dont even need to search for them, it's everywhere!

After that big trim, I feel good, my hair feel good. I thought that it was done, but after 3 weeks I saw it happen again :( I feel so hopeless, and it did terrified me a little bit, because I dont know what to do now. Everytime I let my finger running through my hair, it will end up with my hair full of splinter :(

So yeah, any tips to prevent it please? I'm so desperate right now, I dont even want to look at it, yet still painful. Guess that split ends is a huge pain that even I, never aware of it until now.

nycelle
April 30th, 2018, 06:16 AM
Unfortunately, once the damage is done, there's really no way to reverse it. The only thing that works is cutting it off.

If you're getting splits after doing a S&D (on the same hairs), then either your scissors aren't sharp enough, or the damage is very severe.

You may want to try products that specifically say they reduce breakage by a certain %. I don't know which drugstore brands do help, but I can vouch for Living Proofs Restore line and Briogeos Don't Despair Repair leave-in masks and deep conditioners. They reduced my hair breaking by half (i use the products together.)

lapushka
April 30th, 2018, 06:45 AM
It is normal to have whitish "dot" like ends on the end of your hair if they have been cut before. That is just normal. As long as it isn't "effectively" splitting you are fine. I would not keep cutting.

White dots up the shaft, causing a straight angle when you touch them are different and those are damage that potentially need to come off.

To me it sounds like you are just talking normal "cut" ends. If you take a magnifier to it it is going to show up a white edge.

TheForestFae
April 30th, 2018, 08:33 AM
Unfortunately, once the damage is done, there's really no way to reverse it. The only thing that works is cutting it off.

If you're getting splits after doing a S&D (on the same hairs), then either your scissors aren't sharp enough, or the damage is very severe.

You may want to try products that specifically say they reduce breakage by a certain %. I don't know which drugstore brands do help, but I can vouch for Living Proofs Restore line and Briogeos Don't Despair Repair leave-in masks and deep conditioners. They reduced my hair breaking by half (i use the products together.)
Wish that I can do something with it but sadly, you are right, there is no way to reverse it :( And thanks for the tip, I think is both because the last time I use my scissor to cut my split ends I dont think that is really sharp and probably the damage is very severe :( Maybe I should get a new scissor. I havent try the Living Proof's products before but I do know the brand, guess that I should take a look on it.

It is normal to have whitish "dot" like ends on the end of your hair if they have been cut before. That is just normal. As long as it isn't "effectively" splitting you are fine. I would not keep cutting.

White dots up the shaft, causing a straight angle when you touch them are different and those are damage that potentially need to come off.

To me it sounds like you are just talking normal "cut" ends. If you take a magnifier to it it is going to show up a white edge.
I'm sorry if I wasnt clear, it's not some whitish dots it's actually split ends that turn white :( And those split ends seriously getting worst :( But still, thanks for the infomation Lapushka.

Margarita
April 30th, 2018, 08:40 AM
I recommend you to put away any bleach and hair dye for atleast 1-2 years or more. I suggest you to moisturize and oil, have your hair down, and absolutely stop using hot tools. If you still have split ends and dont want to cut your hair, why dont you try that new split end machine? I dont know if its effective but you could worth a little try =)

nycelle
April 30th, 2018, 08:44 AM
I recommend you to put away any bleach and hair dye for atleast 1-2 years or more. I suggest you to moisturize and oil, have your hair down, and absolutely stop using hot tools. If you still have split ends and dont want to cut your hair, why dont you try that new split end machine? I dont know if its effective but you could worth a little try =)

You mean THIS TOOL (https://prostylingtools.com/trimmers/8-talavera-split-ender-pro-cordless-split-end-and-damaged-hair-trimmer.html)
I really wish someone would try it.. lol..

lapushka
April 30th, 2018, 08:51 AM
I'm sorry if I wasnt clear, it's not some whitish dots it's actually split ends that turn white :( And those split ends seriously getting worst :( But still, thanks for the infomation Lapushka.

Oh OK, then I misunderstood. I have never heard of splits turning white, though. Which is part of the confusion.

lapushka
April 30th, 2018, 08:52 AM
You mean this tool (https://prostylingtools.com/trimmers/223-talavera-split-ender-pro-2-cordless-split-end-and-damaged-hair-trimmer-piano-black.html?gclid=Cj0KCQjw_ZrXBRDXARIsAA8KauSM8SutE u0tnJKFS5q_Zdq56cGqYUdmboPZqzti4vjvXGZyDqnJfHUaAsB OEALw_wcB)?

There have been a lot of threads on the absolute badness of this thing, in the negative sense. DO NOT use one of these. It takes even your healthy ends off, in short it takes a few mm off every end of hair, making a "trim" of sorts. And if your splits are higher up on the strand it is not going to get to that at all. It is not a good thing to try.

nycelle
April 30th, 2018, 08:59 AM
@Lapushaka, Oh? Interesting. I'm gonna do a search, very curious now. Not that I would get it anyway, I wouldn't trust myself to use it correctly.

@ForestFae - Dull scissors won't get rid of splits :(
Get a good pair of hair cutting scissors and only use them on your hair. Do a search for scissors if you need recommendations. There's a few threads.

slynr
April 30th, 2018, 09:00 AM
My hair was very damaged when I began my growing out natural process. I had whit dots/splits throughout. It didnt matter how much s&d I did they just came back because the whole length was damaged. I just gave up and started microtrimming and stopped the chemical damage. It took a long time of maintaining but I grew out the damage and now I don't have that problem. There probably is not a great short term fix:(

TheForestFae
April 30th, 2018, 09:12 AM

You mean THIS TOOL (https://prostylingtools.com/trimmers/8-talavera-split-ender-pro-cordless-split-end-and-damaged-hair-trimmer.html)

Woa I dont know that we even have a tool for that lol I have watch the video on the website and well, it makes me feel scary somehow, it feel like the tool will makes my hair thinner, which I really dont need it :)

And yes, thank you Margarita for the tip. I dont use any heat on my hair so maybe dont have to worry about that. But definitely gonna put some oil to my hair :) The bleaching and dying is just simply an experiment for my look, but after this rough time I think that I would say goodbye to it forever lol

Oh OK, then I misunderstood. I have never heard of splits turning white, though. Which is part of the confusion.
Well probably that you are right too, it's some whitish dots that turning to whitish split ends? I didnt notice, I only find out after I saw a bunch of whitish split ends appear everywhere :( Guess that I didnt see the whitish dots until now.

There have been a lot of threads on the absolute badness of this thing, in the negative sense. DO NOT use one of these. It takes even your healthy ends off, in short it takes a few mm off every end of hair, making a "trim" of sorts. And if your splits are higher up on the strand it is not going to get to that at all. It is not a good thing to try.
I thought it was good for our hair, in someway and because it's so expensive, it gotta be good for our hair in some way :)) I think that the tool will makes our hair thinner for sure

TheForestFae
April 30th, 2018, 09:35 AM
@Lapushaka, Oh? Interesting. I'm gonna do a search, very curious now. Not that I would get it anyway, I wouldn't trust myself to use it correctly.

@ForestFae - Dull scissors won't get rid of splits :(
Get a good pair of hair cutting scissors and only use them on your hair. Do a search for scissors if you need recommendations. There's a few threads.
I will work on it, for the first time I actually think about invest my money on a high quality scissor just for cutting hair lol

My hair was very damaged when I began my growing out natural process. I had whit dots/splits throughout. It didnt matter how much s&d I did they just came back because the whole length was damaged. I just gave up and started microtrimming and stopped the chemical damage. It took a long time of maintaining but I grew out the damage and now I don't have that problem. There probably is not a great short term fix:(
Thank you for sharing, it's really good to know that there is someone have been there and now they have totally get out of it :) I scare of it because that would mean that S&D everyday and to be honest, I'm suck at self trimming lol I scare that I will turn my hemline from even to uneven, which is I have :))) and scare that I would make my hair thinner, I have also do that too lol

Lady Stardust
April 30th, 2018, 09:42 AM
The damage will have to be cut out eventually but you can decide how quickly or slowly you want to do it. You can trim all of your new growth each time you trim, which will be half an inch per month on average, or you can trim say half of the new growth, so that you’re still gaining some length.

I’ve linked Nightshade’s article about damaged hair, it tells you all you need to know!
http://web.archive.org/web/20120125071723/http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/vbjournal.php?do=article&articleid=79

Alex Lou
April 30th, 2018, 11:16 AM
I understand about splits being white. My splits are always a lighter color than the rest of the strand. So if the strand is blonde, then the split is whitish. The only solution is trimming or microtrimming. You could do 1/4-1/2" once a month like many members do, but that means you'll be growing very slowly or not at all until you eventually cut out your damage.

How cool is that!? I can definitely see the use for this for someone who needs microtrims because their ends split easily. Wouldn't work for longer splits or white dots up the shaft. I could probably use it actually... but I'd only do 1 pass, because 3 passes is 3/4" trim!

lapushka
April 30th, 2018, 11:59 AM
Here's a few threads on the "split ender":
http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=9878
http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=95352
http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=93957
http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=73029

slynr
April 30th, 2018, 12:14 PM
I just gave up on s&d for that reason when I was growing out bleach. I just microtrimmed all growth each month and tried not to think about it. You will get there eventually. Just know many of us have been there!

TheForestFae
May 1st, 2018, 04:58 AM
The damage will have to be cut out eventually but you can decide how quickly or slowly you want to do it. You can trim all of your new growth each time you trim, which will be half an inch per month on average, or you can trim say half of the new growth, so that you’re still gaining some length.

I’ve linked Nightshade’s article about damaged hair, it tells you all you need to know!
http://web.archive.org/web/20120125071723/http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/vbjournal.php?do=article&articleid=79
Probably just go with the trim rather cut it all :( And omg, that article is so amazing, I did found some information that are very useful in there! :) Thank you so much Lady Stardust, it really help me a lot :))

I understand about splits being white. My splits are always a lighter color than the rest of the strand. So if the strand is blonde, then the split is whitish. The only solution is trimming or microtrimming. You could do 1/4-1/2" once a month like many members do, but that means you'll be growing very slowly or not at all until you eventually cut out your damage.

How cool is that!? I can definitely see the use for this for someone who needs microtrims because their ends split easily. Wouldn't work for longer splits or white dots up the shaft. I could probably use it actually... but I'd only do 1 pass, because 3 passes is 3/4" trim!
:sad I will go for the micro trimming, and indeed, my hair would growing very slowly, guess that I didnt have any choice :( My strand is black, so it's very easy to spotted those whitish dots and split ends :(

I just gave up on s&d for that reason when I was growing out bleach. I just microtrimmed all growth each month and tried not to think about it. You will get there eventually. Just know many of us have been there!
Thank you, it's good to know that I'm not alone on this :( I thought about giving up on the S&D too, it makes me feel dizzy after a lomg time try to destroy every split ends I saw :))

Wendyp
May 1st, 2018, 10:47 AM
So here is my story, as some of you guys may have known that my hair is really damaging right now. For those who dont know, my hair has been through harsh treatment 2 months ago, which is bleaching and dying at the same time :(.

3 weeks ago, I have spotted a lot of white split ends at the end of my hair, which is like a warning sign for me to know that this is the time to cut it. But I was so scare to lose my length, I mean it took so much time and effort to achieve it. So eventually, I came out with another solution, and that is S&D. It took me 3 hours just to destroy every white split ends, and still, that's not all of them :(. It not just "search & destroy" anymore, only destroy and destroy and then, destroy. I dont even need to search for them, it's everywhere!

After that big trim, I feel good, my hair feel good. I thought that it was done, but after 3 weeks I saw it happen again :( I feel so hopeless, and it did terrified me a little bit, because I dont know what to do now. Everytime I let my finger running through my hair, it will end up with my hair full of splinter :(

So yeah, any tips to prevent it please? I'm so desperate right now, I dont even want to look at it, yet still painful. Guess that split ends is a huge pain that even I, never aware of it until now.
I have major damage you can see in my photos my hair is double the thickness from my shoulders up. So what is helping me is oiling ends morning night, and my routine of course which works for my hair. And monthly I salon reconstructive treatments. Redken ph bonder or olaplex abd I like the olaplex best. I’m not getting splits or breaks anymore. Just got to grow out the damage and learn how to trim myself. We need a growing out damage club lol

kwaarrk
May 1st, 2018, 11:49 AM
I also have major damage from bleach and dye. I was carpeting the bathroom sink with all lengths of broken hairs every time I brushed my hair. I had white splits and dots. I used henna but it was not enough. My daughter also had even worse damage on her bleached portion and a little damage on her virgin from tangling with the bleached parts. I trimmed some of hers, none of mine and did research. I bought keratin (keratriplex) treatments and same line of care products, olaplex and coconut oil. I also bought conditioner that slicks down the hair cuticle effectively.

My hair was brittle straw with pale parts as well and now I cannot find split ends and it is much better. My daughter's hair is amazing and the now purple formerly bleached bits are almost indistinguishable from virgin as far as texture goes. Her individual hairs are thicker than mine. Mine is definitely not as nice as virgin but I am seeing only a couple of small broken bits now when I brush and it's acceptable. 2 people 2 results but both much better. I will keep treating the damaged parts and grow out the rest but I am happy I can keep some of the length.

Alex Lou
May 1st, 2018, 07:45 PM
Here's a few threads on the "split ender":
http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=9878
http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=95352
http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=93957
http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=73029

Ah. Thanks for setting us straight with all the links. So it ends up being a bad razor cut that creates spits on every strand on your head. It's actually great to know that an expensive and time consuming gadget isn't something at all useful.

TheForestFae
May 1st, 2018, 10:53 PM
I also have major damage from bleach and dye. I was carpeting the bathroom sink with all lengths of broken hairs every time I brushed my hair. I had white splits and dots. I used henna but it was not enough. My daughter also had even worse damage on her bleached portion and a little damage on her virgin from tangling with the bleached parts. I trimmed some of hers, none of mine and did research. I bought keratin (keratriplex) treatments and same line of care products, olaplex and coconut oil. I also bought conditioner that slicks down the hair cuticle effectively.

My hair was brittle straw with pale parts as well and now I cannot find split ends and it is much better. My daughter's hair is amazing and the now purple formerly bleached bits are almost indistinguishable from virgin as far as texture goes. Her individual hairs are thicker than mine. Mine is definitely not as nice as virgin but I am seeing only a couple of small broken bits now when I brush and it's acceptable. 2 people 2 results but both much better. I will keep treating the damaged parts and grow out the rest but I am happy I can keep some of the length.
Thank you for sharing your story, I'm glad that you and your daughter's hair get better now, it seem like Keratin and Olaplex treatment help you guys with it, I'm not sure I can get some in where I live, but on the other hand, I have got coconut oil :) It would help anyway I guess ❤

I have major damage you can see in my photos my hair is double the thickness from my shoulders up. So what is helping me is oiling ends morning night, and my routine of course which works for my hair. And monthly I salon reconstructive treatments. Redken ph bonder or olaplex abd I like the olaplex best. I’m not getting splits or breaks anymore. Just got to grow out the damage and learn how to trim myself. We need a growing out damage club lol
I do oilling my hair, probably once or twice a week, I figured it out coconut oil will help moisturizing the ends of the hair and therefore, may decrese the potential of getting more spilts :) I dont think that I can go to the salon every month like that, my mother wouldnt let me spend too much only for my hair :)))) Maybe I just need to stick with the coconut oil

Lady Stardust
May 2nd, 2018, 03:03 AM
Thank you for sharing your story, I'm glad that you and your daughter's hair get better now, it seem like Keratin and Olaplex treatment help you guys with it, I'm not sure I can get some in where I live, but on the other hand, I have got coconut oil :) It would help anyway I guess ❤

I do oilling my hair, probably once or twice a week, I figured it out coconut oil will help moisturizing the ends of the hair and therefore, may decrese the potential of getting more spilts :) I dont think that I can go to the salon every month like that, my mother wouldnt let me spend too much only for my hair :)))) Maybe I just need to stick with the coconut oil

Coconut oil, or any oil, will help to keep moisture in your hair, but it won’t moisturise it by itself. You need to make sure that you’re using something moisturising along with the coconut oil.

Wendyp
May 2nd, 2018, 05:25 AM

I’m referring to light leave in oils. I’m using nightbloomings monthly oils. 3 drops only morn and night from ears down oily. Just wanted to clarify that. I used Heavy coconut oil pre wash.

lapushka
May 2nd, 2018, 08:17 AM
Ah. Thanks for setting us straight with all the links. So it ends up being a bad razor cut that creates spits on every strand on your head. It's actually great to know that an expensive and time consuming gadget isn't something at all useful.

Yeah, it's not all that great; the concept is just off. It takes a couple of mm to half a cm from every "end" it encounters, essentially giving you a trim. And can you imagine this thing malfunctioning and just razoring off your hair. Yikes. I'm wary of things like this.

nycelle
May 2nd, 2018, 08:23 AM
I checked out the links, but has anyone here actually tried it? All the threads offer their opinion, and yes, there are definitely good points. But I'd still love to hear about someones personal experience with it.

lapushka
May 2nd, 2018, 08:31 AM
I checked out the links, but has anyone here actually tried it? All the threads offer their opinion, and yes, there are definitely good points. But I'd still love to hear about someones personal experience with it.

Maybe try looking on YT?

Alex Lou
May 2nd, 2018, 09:35 AM

Yeah. If you look through the threads linked there are people who tried it and it created splits because It's a bad razor cut. I don't personally have a ptoblem with the concept itself. Yes you would be trimming 1/4 inch of even new growth, but having the ability to trim every hair on your head that way would be a powerful thing. Drawbacks being that more passes cuts more length and it would not thicken the hemline like trims and microtrims do.

Here's a link to a specific post: http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=9878&page=8&p=1643549&viewfull=1#post1643549

http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=9878&page=5&p=947161&viewfull=1#post947161

Glitch
May 6th, 2018, 08:15 PM
Here's a quick informative video (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JEULFa53GRk) about the split-ender (risk-wise).

And to the OP, I have definitely been there, but am now almost completely done with the white dot dilemma. I totally fried my hair inner hair shaft from heat damage for years and years, and it's going to remain that way until I have all virgin hair again. I remember when I first began caring for it... I held my hair up to the sun and good god, it was white dot hell :( I snipped for so many hours but it never ended. I did it every few days for several hours when I could, but there were just so many fried ends that it was endless :doh: Worst, I would do strand tests where I would cut many inches off, but the end would still be damaged, because again, the entire inner shaft was fried. It wasn't my sharp, new scissors causing this damage, it was all my own fault from previous damage.

Sadly, once hair is truly damaged, there's no way to fix it. I do have some good news for you, though :) No matter how discouraging it feels, keep going in with some microtrimming every few weeks, and after several annoying but very worthwhile months, they will begin disappearing. You'll see less of them each time, as the fried ends continue to get removed until just the healthy parts are left to grow. Some months I would even cut off 1-3 inches, and as much as it sucked to lose progress, it's important to remember you're actually gaining progress because you're cutting off damaged parts that would have been damaging the healthy strands anyway. Now that it's summer again, I went out in the sunlight with my scissors and was shocked that I couldn't find any white dots. After a lot of searching, I found a couple, and they weren't even bad. That was it. I thought it was my eyesight lol but no, my hair really has transformed with consistent little snips ;) Because I continued to keep cutting off the fried white dot bits, my hair became healthy and wouldn't break off, which is why I have the longest hair now that I've ever had! Don't give up and remember that if you get through this, you won't have to go through it again. :flower:

lapushka
May 8th, 2018, 02:47 AM
I can't believe I grew my white dots out. Still can't. I had about shoulder length (permed) hair, and my white dots were up to my roots! From previous heat styling a chin length bob (yes damp heat styled... I know I should have known). It was either a pixie or leaving them alone. They hung on for dear life (some snapped, of course), but I grew all the way to hip and most of them were still on there.

So it takes a lot for a white dot to snap! You can take your time getting them out.

Then at hip my mom decided to do major S&D and to cut a number of sessions short, she reduced my hair to half its thickness from BSL to hip, so I ended up cutting back to BSL. They can be *far* up the hair shaft.

And of course, because that hot tool gets everywhere, from root to end, and it can do damage on that length wherever!

TheForestFae
May 23rd, 2018, 09:57 PM
Sorry for late reply, I just lost my phone and couldnt reply to you guys sooner, sorry :(

Here's a quick informative video (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JEULFa53GRk) about the split-ender (risk-wise).

And to the OP, I have definitely been there, but am now almost completely done with the white dot dilemma. I totally fried my hair inner hair shaft from heat damage for years and years, and it's going to remain that way until I have all virgin hair again. I remember when I first began caring for it... I held my hair up to the sun and good god, it was white dot hell :( I snipped for so many hours but it never ended. I did it every few days for several hours when I could, but there were just so many fried ends that it was endless :doh: Worst, I would do strand tests where I would cut many inches off, but the end would still be damaged, because again, the entire inner shaft was fried. It wasn't my sharp, new scissors causing this damage, it was all my own fault from previous damage.

Sadly, once hair is truly damaged, there's no way to fix it. I do have some good news for you, though :) No matter how discouraging it feels, keep going in with some microtrimming every few weeks, and after several annoying but very worthwhile months, they will begin disappearing. You'll see less of them each time, as the fried ends continue to get removed until just the healthy parts are left to grow. Some months I would even cut off 1-3 inches, and as much as it sucked to lose progress, it's important to remember you're actually gaining progress because you're cutting off damaged parts that would have been damaging the healthy strands anyway. Now that it's summer again, I went out in the sunlight with my scissors and was shocked that I couldn't find any white dots. After a lot of searching, I found a couple, and they weren't even bad. That was it. I thought it was my eyesight lol but no, my hair really has transformed with consistent little snips ;) Because I continued to keep cutting off the fried white dot bits, my hair became healthy and wouldn't break off, which is why I have the longest hair now that I've ever had! Don't give up and remember that if you get through this, you won't have to go through it again. :flower:

After lost my phone, I do have more time to pay more attention to my hair :) I stick with my coconut oil bottle and micro trimming twice a week, I still feel worry that the white split ends may comeback, but recently I havent saw any :( That could be a good sign. And thank you Glitch, For sharing your experience to me, I will try to get through this soon

I can't believe I grew my white dots out. Still can't. I had about shoulder length (permed) hair, and my white dots were up to my roots! From previous heat styling a chin length bob (yes damp heat styled... I know I should have known). It was either a pixie or leaving them alone. They hung on for dear life (some snapped, of course), but I grew all the way to hip and most of them were still on there.

So it takes a lot for a white dot to snap! You can take your time getting them out.

Then at hip my mom decided to do major S&D and to cut a number of sessions short, she reduced my hair to half its thickness from BSL to hip, so I ended up cutting back to BSL. They can be *far* up the hair shaft.

And of course, because that hot tool gets everywhere, from root to end, and it can do damage on that length wherever!

I didnt use any heat tool on my length, not before and not now. The problem maybe is the result of bleaching and dying process? I couldnt think about anything that lead to hair damaging beside bleaching and dying. It seem like your hair get better now. Glad for you :)

pili
May 23rd, 2018, 10:28 PM
That split-ender has me mildly horrified. I had never even heard of such a thing!

*Wednesday*
May 24th, 2018, 08:24 PM
Reminds me of that flowbee. Except the flowbee had that tube. It was like a small vaccum. I'll stick with the classics. Scissors.