PDA

View Full Version : Hair Breakage - how do you prevent it?

elfynity
April 29th, 2018, 12:36 PM
I'd really be interested to know what everyone's routines are to reduce your hair breakage that have really worked for you. Also, for those of you using a BBB, do you find that it breaks your hair? Does it break your hair only if you over brush? Have you found any specific things that have caused hair breakage that you would recommend to others to avoid?

Mlarmour
April 29th, 2018, 01:06 PM
I basically baby my hair. After having dengue fever and being hospitalised, my hair was super fragile. On the plane home, I moved with my head against the head rest and some on my hair broke from the friction. It was just dry and brittle. I make sure that my hair is moisturised, I use a mixture of coconut oil and castor oil on my hair. I try to keep my hair up as much as often, but I don’t put any tension on my hair, it’s always a loose bun or a loose pony tail. No mental on my hair ties either.

Shorty89
April 29th, 2018, 01:10 PM
I think that being patient when brushing, combing and styling your hair helps. I'm guilty of not taking time with a tangle, or breaking a few hairs while braiding because I'm rushing.

ravenskey
April 29th, 2018, 01:12 PM
Things that prevent breakage.

Combing not brushing when my hair's wet.
Combing before brushing when my hair's dry.
CWC.
Oiling.
No heat.

Things that cause breakage.

Not doing the above.
My hair likes to stick to itself which makes root braids quite messy and hard to make, and very tangled after I take them down - I don't avoid them but I do have to handle my hair carefully if I make them.

lapushka
April 29th, 2018, 02:38 PM
I recently ditched my WT comb (wide-tooth comb) in favor of the TT (Tangle Teezer) and WB (Wet Brush). I use the TT on dry hair pre-wash, and I use the WB on wet hair after my hair comes out the towel, after the wash.

The WB, I find, doesn't tug or pull at my scalp, and the WT comb always did, unless I used extremely moisturizing conditioners. I was pretty much stuck with the HE Hello Hydration conditioner as a second conditioner because of that. Now I can use just about anything.

I believe I had some breakage from the WT comb. Not a lot, but it is noticeable to me that I lose a bit less hair at this point in time.

Aredhel
April 29th, 2018, 03:48 PM
Patience is very important... ever since I started to really take my time when combing my hair and using the proper combing tool for my specific hair (after much experimentation, I discovered that WT combs work best for my own hair), I have not had any breakage when combing my hair. I also used to experience the most breakage when twisting my hair up for buns, but I've become very well-acquainted with my hair and the amount of tension that it can tolerate (and what it feels like when I'm tugging on individual strands more than others), so I haven't experienced breakage in that area in months either. :)

Dark40
April 29th, 2018, 03:49 PM
Make sure you keep your hair moisturized with some type of oil after every wash. You can brush once of twice a day but don't over-brush. Because, yes it will cause breakage. Especially, with a BBD. Also, after I use shampoo I use lots of conditioner as well. Especially, a good moisturizing conditioner.

nycelle
April 29th, 2018, 03:58 PM
WTC before I wash, then to spread the conditioner, and after I've towel dried my hair.
A conditioner that for once does what it says and has reduced my breakage by more than half.
A leave-in repair mask that also helps with breakage, or a leave-in moisturizing conditioner.
I don't use brushes.
I use a silk or satin sleep cap. This is incredible- my hair looks great in the morning.

I don't oil unless I'm in-between washes, and I want something to give my ends more slip. Pure oils don't moisturize my hair.

Stopped using hair products with sulfates and silicones and a couple of other ingredients. I don't know why, but I'm also shedding a lot less since switching. Would be great if I could pinpoint which ingredient was causing the increased shedding.

This is my current routine (a little over a month now) but it's working very well. So well that I bought more of the same products, something I rarely do.

Hairkay
April 29th, 2018, 04:49 PM
I finger detangle or use a wide tooth comb on damp hair. It's rare that I use any brush at all. I keep my hair properly hydrated and moisturised and do a deep conditioning treatment once a week. I put a tiny bit of oil on my damp hair ends daily. I also practice low manipulation styling. My hair is best not being styled every single day. I also use a lot of updos to stop my hair rubbing on my back and shoulders. Plus I have satin bonnets and scarves for bed.

Arciela
April 29th, 2018, 06:06 PM
For me what works is a tangle teezer, patiently brush it with condition on it, no heat, no dye/bleach, sleep on satin pillow case and/or sleeping cap. Another thing that helps me is no protein, my hair gets extremely dry with it and velcroy..ick >_< By doing these..my hair hasn't had many split ends in years and its very shiny and healthy. Before doing all this, I couldn't grow past shoulder and wondered why..haha.

Glitch
April 29th, 2018, 08:16 PM
Patience is very important... ever since I started to really take my time when combing my hair and using the proper combing tool for my specific hair (after much experimentation, I discovered that WT combs work best for my own hair), I have not had any breakage when combing my hair. I also used to experience the most breakage when twisting my hair up for buns, but I've become very well-acquainted with my hair and the amount of tension that it can tolerate (and what it feels like when I'm tugging on individual strands more than others), so I haven't experienced breakage in that area in months either. :)

Same here. I used to think that my hair is maybe just on the weaker side naturally, when in reality I just combed hastily. When I really take my time and am careful, I often don't even lose a single strand of hair while brushing or combing. When I go wild though, in a big rush, I can both see and hear the difference -yikes. :doh:

YvetteVarie
April 30th, 2018, 04:35 AM
I oil regularly using coconut oil, castor oil, avocado oil or shea butter. I also finger detangle mostly. I also give my hair frequent breaks by braiding it and wearing wigs. Also frequent deep conditioning is crucial for me

elfynity
April 30th, 2018, 06:47 AM
You can brush once of twice a day but don't over-brush. Because, yes it will cause breakage..
Hi Dark40, I am brushing alot with my BBB to move oils from my scalp down my hair to moisturize it instead of conditioner, and it is working very well. The whole length of my hair is moisturized and shimmery. I don't hear any breakage happening with the BBB. Can you explain how it breaks your hair? Do you hear a snap, or is it just breaking the hair somewhere without a sound? How much brushing do you think is too much? At the moment I am brushing my hair about 200 strokes per day, 100 in the morning / afternoon and 100 at night before bed.