PDA

View Full Version : How to secure a bun for bun waves

mommy101405
October 31st, 2008, 08:35 AM
Can someone please help me out? I have seen a lot of people with gorgeous bun waves. I'd love to try it but I don't know how to secure it. When I do a bun I put it in a ponytail first and then wrap the bun around it. But then I have terrible ponytail kink. How do you secure your bun without getting kinks. Maybe I'm just not long enough. I'm just about APL but with lots of layers.

Dolly
October 31st, 2008, 08:40 AM
Can someone please help me out? I have seen a lot of people with gorgeous bun waves. I'd love to try it but I don't know how to secure it. When I do a bun I put it in a ponytail first and then wrap the bun around it. But then I have terrible ponytail kink. How do you secure your bun without getting kinks. Maybe I'm just not long enough. I'm just about APL but with lots of layers.

I am BSL and have SERIOUS layers in the sides.....instead of putting an actual ponytail holder in the hair, I grasp mine like I would be getting ready to make a ponytail, then twist the hair before wrapping it around itself......it turns into a nice cinnamon bun. And, I secure it with a stick......I prefer my ketylos because they hold better....

renarok
October 31st, 2008, 08:41 AM
I make 2 buns on the top of my head, beebutt style no rubberband, I use barely damp hair, just lightly misted. I secure with either amish pins or other pins, I have used scrunchies to hold as well. My DH calls this particular style devil horns. I sleep in them quite comfortably because they are on top of my head. The result is real nice loose waves.

misstwist
October 31st, 2008, 08:59 AM
I make 2 buns on the top of my head, beebutt style no rubberband, I use barely damp hair, just lightly misted. I secure with either amish pins or other pins, I have used scrunchies to hold as well. My DH calls this particular style devil horns. I sleep in them quite comfortably because they are on top of my head. The result is real nice loose waves.

What renarok said. Though at your length, you may want to make more than two beebutt buns on top of your head.

ETA--and another thing--when I was apl I was just able to do an infinity bun secured with a fakkere. It was messy, but it did, and still does, give me the best bun waves. If you can set your hair all day for a wavy look at night this is a good option. Be sure to mist your hair first so it is damp enough to set good waves.

plainjanegirl
October 31st, 2008, 10:02 AM
My hair will make braid waves but for some reason will not do bun waves.
Maybe my hair is dysfunctional. :mad:

Katze
October 31st, 2008, 10:04 AM
I pull all my hair as far as I can onto the top of my head. This allows me to get as much of my thicker crown hair for a base. then I twist, twist, wrap the ends *carefully* (otherwise they get kinked) and put a scrunchy on it.

This doesn't always work, but it sometimes helps me get nice waves. Sometimes misting first helps, too.

Anje
October 31st, 2008, 10:31 AM
I get less kink with a beebutt or nautilus bun than I do with a cinnamon bun, FWIW. (Waves left over from my back-of-the-head cinnamon buns are strange because they have such a huge kink from the first loop.)

What kink is still there can be made less noticable by putting the bun on top of your head.

HTH