PDA

View Full Version : Surgery and hair growth

momof3mary
April 29th, 2018, 09:10 AM
I'm curious if my hair is going to stall when I have my hysterectomy. I'm growing out from a buzz cut that I did last September. Currently a mid-length pixie after several mullet trims. Anyone have experience with surgery and hair growth?

lapushka
April 29th, 2018, 09:23 AM
It depends. Some people get through surgery fine. I did at the time of my knee surgery, didn't notice a stall or anything out of the ordinary. :flower:

Good luck for your upcoming surgery.

momof3mary
April 29th, 2018, 09:37 AM
Thanks Lapushka, I have cervical cancer that's spread to my uterus, so I really shouldn't worry about my hair. I just finally have 100% virgin hair again and I'm pouting 😂 So far my doc says chemo doesn't look necessary as yet, but that could change. Fingers crossed!!

Margarita
April 29th, 2018, 09:43 AM
Im sure your hair will grow stronger after your surgery. I wish best of luck =)

momof3mary
April 29th, 2018, 10:07 AM
Thank you Margarita!!

nycelle
April 29th, 2018, 10:11 AM
I'm so sorry to read about your condition. Wishing you the best..

But in answer to your question, the hormone levels will change so yes, it can definitely have an effect on hair. Just speak with your doctor about your concerns, and they'll be able to give you the proper hormone replacement should you need it.

momof3mary
April 29th, 2018, 10:16 AM
Nycelle yes, that's what I was wondering. She's leaving my ovaries, since they look perfectly fine, so I'm hoping hormones won't be a huge issue. Tmi, but I already bleed every ten to twelve days/five to ten days at a time every month. I'm hoping putting a stop to that nonsense will help. I do know my body will be more concerned with healing the surgical site rather than growing hair😂 I'm really looking forward to a chin length Bob though 🤔

lapushka
April 29th, 2018, 10:43 AM
Thanks Lapushka, I have cervical cancer that's spread to my uterus, so I really shouldn't worry about my hair. I just finally have 100% virgin hair again and I'm pouting �� So far my doc says chemo doesn't look necessary as yet, but that could change. Fingers crossed!!

I'm so sorry to hear that. I know how tough cancer can be, and I hope it all turns out well for you.

We just a week ago lost my mom's cousin (age 61) to cervical cancer. She did everything she could, and had chemo until very late in the process (but it had spread everywhere). She kept on fighting the fight. But sadly she lost that fight. I hope I am not upsetting you by talking about this right now.

I am sure you will be fine. There are survivors enough to prove you *can* beat the odds!

Good luck! :)

momof3mary
April 29th, 2018, 10:55 AM
I'm so sorry for your loss lapushka. Unfortunately all types of cancer runs in my family. Most of us get it fairly young. My mom was 23 when she had to have her hysterectomy. She's 55 now. Two years ago she had to have a kidney out due to cancer, so far she's cancer free. I'm glad we caught mine. I hadn't been to the doctor in almost nine years, I only went because I always feel so cruddy. I'm glad I did. I told my kids I refuse to die before I'm 104. My favorite great aunt lived to be that age, and she's my idol.

Glitch
April 29th, 2018, 12:22 PM
Best of luck to you on your journey to recovering from this! :blossom: I myself have had multiple surgeries with uncertainties, but looking back it's like a blurry dream! Personally, I never noticed any hair loss (but I mean, technically I could have been losing a lot but would have been too sick to notice). However, during my last one, I kept on losing so many eyelashes. It drove me crazy -I thought I would lose them all, but in reality they were just growing out super quickly and hitting their terminal length over and over. My lash line also remained full. So, perhaps all the resting and making sure to eat very well during healing maybe played a role in promoting hair growth. I wouldn't have noticed my hair length increasing because before the LHC I was constantly chopping off my dead hair.

Not to say that the reverse can't happen, but I'm hopeful for your hair experiencing a growth boost! :D

momof3mary
April 29th, 2018, 12:32 PM
Thanks Glitch!! I'm hoping for a growing boost!! My mother told me for the first month I won't care about anything other than the painkillers 😂😂 Maybe after it's all over I'll have a bit more hair.

lapushka
April 29th, 2018, 01:50 PM
I'm so sorry for your loss lapushka. Unfortunately all types of cancer runs in my family. Most of us get it fairly young. My mom was 23 when she had to have her hysterectomy. She's 55 now. Two years ago she had to have a kidney out due to cancer, so far she's cancer free. I'm glad we caught mine. I hadn't been to the doctor in almost nine years, I only went because I always feel so cruddy. I'm glad I did. I told my kids I refuse to die before I'm 104. My favorite great aunt lived to be that age, and she's my idol.

Thank you so much. Means a lot to me.

That's the spirit! :D I'm sure you will get to be 104!

Glitch
April 29th, 2018, 02:17 PM
Thanks Glitch!! I'm hoping for a growing boost!! My mother told me for the first month I won't care about anything other than the painkillers 😂😂 Maybe after it's all over I'll have a bit more hair.

You're welcome! <3 And yeah those pills are my main memories from those times 😂👍🏼

Glitch
April 29th, 2018, 02:20 PM
I'm so sorry to hear that. I know how tough cancer can be, and I hope it all turns out well for you.

We just a week ago lost my mom's cousin (age 61) to cervical cancer. She did everything she could, and had chemo until very late in the process (but it had spread everywhere). She kept on fighting the fight. But sadly she lost that fight. I hope I am not upsetting you by talking about this right now.

I am sure you will be fine. There are survivors enough to prove you *can* beat the odds!

Good luck! :)

May she rest in peace :blossom: She did the best she could and I'm proud of her strength!

lapushka
April 29th, 2018, 02:34 PM
May she rest in peace :blossom: She did the best she could and I'm proud of her strength!

Thank you so much, that means a lot to me! It's still pretty raw, so soon.

I lost my grandma on dad's side to cancer, which was very hard on me, still is so long after it happened. A friend of my aunt, 2 of my aunts and now mom's cousin.

It's not "really" in the family in our case. My 2 aunts are aunts by marriage. And my grandma had it quite late in life (age 70).

Anyway I don't mean to deviate from the topic at hand.

Wishing you the best for your surgery, momof3mary, may the prognosis be a *good* one!

momof3mary
April 29th, 2018, 03:42 PM
Thank you ladies 💖

Glitch
April 29th, 2018, 06:22 PM
Thank you so much, that means a lot to me! It's still pretty raw, so soon.

I lost my grandma on dad's side to cancer, which was very hard on me, still is so long after it happened. A friend of my aunt, 2 of my aunts and now mom's cousin.

It's not "really" in the family in our case. My 2 aunts are aunts by marriage. And my grandma had it quite late in life (age 70).

Anyway I don't mean to deviate from the topic at hand.

Wishing you the best for your surgery, momof3mary, may the prognosis be a *good* one!

Ohh my gosh... I can only imagine! :(
May the rest of the year be peaceful and serene. Wishing you and your family good spirit and relief <3

Thank you ladies 💖
:flower:

Obsidian
April 29th, 2018, 06:24 PM
I had a hysterectomy last summer, left one ovary and no hormone replacement. I didn't have any kind of shed or stall that I know of. I actually had a big shed before the surgery and it took a good 9 month before I saw the thin spots starting to fill in.
If your hair does react, it can be treated. Concentrate on getting well, this surgery takes awhile to recover from, don't push yourself too fast.

momof3mary
April 29th, 2018, 08:15 PM
Obsidian, thank you! Yes, my kids and I are going to stay with my mother during this recovery. I have stairs and such at home to navigate, but she doesn't. She's going to help with everything. I'm blessed to have such a great mom. It helps that she's had this same surgery and knows what to expect.

lapushka
April 30th, 2018, 07:02 AM
Obsidian, thank you! Yes, my kids and I are going to stay with my mother during this recovery. I have stairs and such at home to navigate, but she doesn't. She's going to help with everything. I'm blessed to have such a great mom. It helps that she's had this same surgery and knows what to expect.

I have a disability, and my mom and dad have been helping me out for a little over 20 years now. I know how it feels. Let her help you. Don't try and push through when you obviously can't. It's difficult to do that (trust me I know), but it's major surgery, so let her do it when she's offering to help you. :flower:

mindwiped
April 30th, 2018, 01:58 PM
Do you know what method they're using for surgery? (Open incision/ keyhole/ DaVinci- robot keyhole) Last May I had a hysterectomy, everything except one ovary. I had the DaVinci, and walked the halls the same evening, home the next day. I won't say there wasn't pain/discomfort, but it wasn't nearly as bad as I thought. Mom had to have the full open incision, and having an eight inch cut vs my three inch and a half cuts made for totally different recoveries. As for my hair, I noticed a growth stall, but no major loss, thank goodness.

I hope everything goes well for you and this is all you'll have to do.

momof3mary
April 30th, 2018, 02:00 PM
Absolutely Lapushka, she's not putting up with my independent attitude 😂 She just gave me a no nonsense talk about listening to her and taking care of myself by letting her care for me.

momof3mary
April 30th, 2018, 02:03 PM
Mindwiped, all I know so far is that it's all coming out of my vag. (Sorry, don't know a diplomatic way to say that). My doctor did say I would be discharged 24 hours after surgery.

momof3mary
April 30th, 2018, 02:04 PM
I'll get more information this Friday when I go back in. I see her every week for now.

mindwiped
May 1st, 2018, 10:32 AM
Mindwiped, all I know so far is that it's all coming out of my vag. (Sorry, don't know a diplomatic way to say that). My doctor did say I would be discharged 24 hours after surgery.

You're fine, I understand and it's totally fine phrased that way. That means you're either having keyhole or robotic keyhole. Recovery from either will be much easier than a full open incision.

momof3mary
May 1st, 2018, 05:31 PM
That's wonderful news!! I hate the thought of not being able to be at least somewhat active. Especially since it will be summer break for my kids.

lapushka
May 2nd, 2018, 06:12 AM
In days of old you had a big incision. Grandma had one after 10 kids, she suddenly kept bleeding way after the birth of the last one. I think she was in her early 40s at that time.

One aunt of mine (by marriage), wanted kids desperately but had to have a hysterectomy in her early 30s, so there went that dream. They had plenty of kids in their lives from us kids going over there a lot, because we knew they couldn't have their own.

But yes, I remember back then it was major surgery.

It seems nowadays it's not as major anymore... bar the recovery (be on the lookout if you keep bleeding or some such and alert the doctor to it straight away).

I wish you the best of luck for your upcoming surgery. :flower:

momof3mary
May 2nd, 2018, 09:37 AM
Thanks Lapushka, I'm ready to get it over with 😷

mindwiped
May 2nd, 2018, 02:56 PM
That's wonderful news!! I hate the thought of not being able to be at least somewhat active. Especially since it will be summer break for my kids.

Just don't let the kids talk you into doing too much too soon. I tried to go back to work full time too soon, and ended up off work completely for longer then if I had just stayed part time the first week back.

momof3mary
May 3rd, 2018, 06:15 AM
Mindwiped, yeah, I'm definitely going to take it easy. I just like watching them play 🙂 I ended up having to go ahead and take off work until after the surgery. I've been really dizzy and weak feeling this past week. Now I'm concentrating on eating well and getting my strength up for the surgery and recovery.

leayellena
May 4th, 2018, 05:03 AM
I will keep you in my prayers. Don't think about your hair right now. It grows back. Sometimes I am sad too because I don't have thick very long hair but my man is right: with so much medication when I was a child it's a wonder I am healthy now.

momof3mary
May 5th, 2018, 12:49 PM
Thank you leayellena, you're right. I'm just trying to keep myself distracted. I know it's really not important. Prayers for you as well. 🙂

lapushka
May 5th, 2018, 01:41 PM
momof3mary, when is the surgery, exactly? Can I ask? I will keep you in my prayers.

Lady Stardust
May 5th, 2018, 02:27 PM
Best of luck with the surgery and I wish you a swift recovery with as little disruption as possible.

momof3mary
May 5th, 2018, 07:46 PM
We've scheduled it for June 5th. I'm waiting until my kids go on summer break so my parents don't have to shuffle them around ��

momof3mary
May 5th, 2018, 07:53 PM
Also, the tumor in my uterus turned out to be benign, and my cervical cancer seems to be well contained. Unfortunately the nurse I spoke with after my second appointment saw tumor in uterus on my chart and since at that time we hadn't done the uterine biopsy, she said the cervical cancer was spreading from the looks of things. That's when the doctor scheduled my uterine biopsy. So no cancer in there. High risk though, and I bleed for fifteen or more days a month, so we're getting it out. I have to have an MRI to make sure I'm cancer free elsewhere, but as far as down there, it's just my cervix. I was so happy when they let me know Friday.

Lady Stardust
May 6th, 2018, 02:43 PM
Also, the tumor in my uterus turned out to be benign, and my cervical cancer seems to be well contained. Unfortunately the nurse I spoke with after my second appointment saw tumor in uterus on my chart and since at that time we hadn't done the uterine biopsy, she said the cervical cancer was spreading from the looks of things. That's when the doctor scheduled my uterine biopsy. So no cancer in there. High risk though, and I bleed for fifteen or more days a month, so we're getting it out. I have to have an MRI to make sure I'm cancer free elsewhere, but as far as down there, it's just my cervix. I was so happy when they let me know Friday.

Oh great news :-)

lapushka
May 6th, 2018, 04:01 PM
That is great news! :)