PDA

View Full Version : Does anyone oil their hair daily?

amame
April 28th, 2018, 01:29 PM
I was wondering if anyone has had positive results in oiling their hair everyday, or almost everyday. If you use argan oil, coconut oil, olive oil, shea nut oil, avacodo oil, jojoba oil or castor oil. Do you put a little on your ends at night, or during the day? Do you use more then one type?

If you do deep oil treatments, what do you use?

Any improvements on your hair?

I miss my long hair. It seems forever short. In the last few weeks, my hair has been coming out. More so when I shower and wash my hair. I bought some oils awhile ago, but I have but used them but maybe twice. I'm trying to do deep oil treatments at least once a week; preferably more. I recently bought a heat cap from amazon for oil treatments.
Maybe I could do that twice a week?
I have 3b/3c hair i think. I have been trimming my hair, but Im sure it's not helping. My ends have been dry a lot. Oiling seems to help, but Im not sure how often ir what to use.

Maybe im missing something from my diet?

Oh, Im also growing an undercut from last summer/fall. It's still rather short :( I have trimmed a few times.

Im sorry again. I type too much..

JennGalt
April 28th, 2018, 01:54 PM
I oil daily. Or nearly so: I can usually skip a day or two after a hair mask I concoct myself. I have naturally very porous hair, and porous hair usually loves oils. I also skip a day if I overdo it with the oil, and my hair will usually absorb it in a day or so.

My hair has yet to meet an oil it didn't like, although my scalp rejected olive oil this last winter. I usually alternate between coconut oil and grapeseed oil depending on what my hair seems to need that day, but have recently added almond oil because DH kept stealing my grapeseed oil to make potatoes. I do deep treatments weekly (I alternate henna glosses with my hair mask), but I don't use oil as a deep treament. Oil is a leave-in/detangler for me. I try not to oil too close to bedtime so my pillowcase doesn't drink up the oil before my hair can.

Without oil, my scalp is like the Sahara desert and my hair snags and breaks on everything, including itself. I need oil to add slip to detangle and prevent snagging and retangling. Plus it seems to be a necessity to protect my hair from mechanical damage from daily wear and tear.

This is just what seems to work for my hair. As for what will work for yours, you'll just have to experiment and see. And I'm sorry to hear your hair is coming out. Hope it's just a normal seasonal shed! :blossom:

lapushka
April 28th, 2018, 02:24 PM
I do something called the rinse-out oil method (oil rinse). It's in my signature. It basically means I wash and then apply a couple drops of oil (about 10 or a tiny puddle) on the very ends of my hair, then stick my conditioner on over it, let sit for a couple minutes and then rinse.

Then after my hair's been in the towel for 30-45 min., I go on to detangling and then styling and I use a serum on my hair (sometimes an oil, but that's been a while).

I use baby oil, BTW. It seals in really nice.

Wendyp
April 28th, 2018, 02:27 PM
I use oil 2x a day religously. Morning and night. my hair demands it.

ravenskey
April 28th, 2018, 02:36 PM
I oil twice daily, morning and night, using sweet almond oil.
I use a coin sized amount each time.

Zesty
April 28th, 2018, 02:48 PM
When I'm being good I put 3-4 drops of argan oil in my hair in the evening. It seems to absorb overnight and leaves my hair feeling soft and gives more slip. I also use almond oil for the ROO method lapushka has already mentioned, baby oil as a leave-in on damp hair, and coconut oil for pre-wash deep treatments. Not necessarily all at the same time... but often.

amame
April 28th, 2018, 05:38 PM
I do something called the rinse-out oil method (oil rinse). It's in my signature. It basically means I wash and then apply a couple drops of oil (about 10 or a tiny puddle) on the very ends of my hair, then stick my conditioner on over it, let sit for a couple minutes and then rinse.

Then after my hair's been in the towel for 30-45 min., I go on to detangling and then styling and I use a serum on my hair (sometimes an oil, but that's been a while).

I use baby oil, BTW. It seals in really nice.

Thank you for your response. I thought about something similar. i think I will try the rinse-out method.
Baby oil? I have never heard of anyone doing that. What brand do you use?

amame
April 28th, 2018, 05:39 PM
I use oil 2x a day religously. Morning and night. my hair demands it.

That is quite often. Does your hair get super dry?

amame
April 28th, 2018, 05:39 PM
I oil twice daily, morning and night, using sweet almond oil.
I use a coin sized amount each time.

Thank you for sharing.

amame
April 28th, 2018, 05:40 PM
When I'm being good I put 3-4 drops of argan oil in my hair in the evening. It seems to absorb overnight and leaves my hair feeling soft and gives more slip. I also use almond oil for the ROO method lapushka has already mentioned, baby oil as a leave-in on damp hair, and coconut oil for pre-wash deep treatments. Not necessarily all at the same time... but often.

Thank you for sharing as well.

amame
April 28th, 2018, 06:19 PM
I oil daily. Or nearly so: I can usually skip a day or two after a hair mask I concoct myself. I have naturally very porous hair, and porous hair usually loves oils. I also skip a day if I overdo it with the oil, and my hair will usually absorb it in a day or so.

My hair has yet to meet an oil it didn't like, although my scalp rejected olive oil this last winter. I usually alternate between coconut oil and grapeseed oil depending on what my hair seems to need that day, but have recently added almond oil because DH kept stealing my grapeseed oil to make potatoes. I do deep treatments weekly (I alternate henna glosses with my hair mask), but I don't use oil as a deep treament. Oil is a leave-in/detangler for me. I try not to oil too close to bedtime so my pillowcase doesn't drink up the oil before my hair can.

Without oil, my scalp is like the Sahara desert and my hair snags and breaks on everything, including itself. I need oil to add slip to detangle and prevent snagging and retangling. Plus it seems to be a necessity to protect my hair from mechanical damage from daily wear and tear.

This is just what seems to work for my hair. As for what will work for yours, you'll just have to experiment and see. And I'm sorry to hear your hair is coming out. Hope it's just a normal seasonal shed! :blossom:

Interesting routine. Thank you for sharing.

Thanks. My hair has done this before. I think it's seasonal, but also improper care :/ I have been very lazy lately due to stress.

Natashap
April 29th, 2018, 01:31 AM
Sounds a cool routine..Might start soon!

Joules
April 29th, 2018, 01:35 AM
I don't. I usually oil a little bit the day before washing day, and I wash my hair once every three days. For example, if I washed my hair on Sunday, I'll go Monday completely product-free and enjoying my natural puffiness, then on Tuesday I'll put a bit of oil into my ends, and on Wednesday I'll wash my hair again with a full on oil treatment beforehand.

Maybe I'll start oiling my ends daily in the summer. I'm pushing my hair to grow longer, and my ends are barely handling it.

zanelle
April 29th, 2018, 02:52 AM
I started to, yes.
I discovered almond oil and avocado oil. It seems I can get away with oiling my ends everyday without problems.

Hairkay
April 29th, 2018, 03:56 AM
I put a tiny bit of oil on my damp hair ends daily. The rest I leave to sebum.

Milady_DeWinter
April 29th, 2018, 04:08 AM
Yes. Or almost everyday, before bunning, with light oils; avocado is just perfect for my hair. I apply it just in the very tips of my hair to feel it softer. Also I oil more heavily the same day I wash my hair, usually to leave the the oil some hours, or 30 minutes before at least.

I never oil my scalp, tried once and didn't liked it. So, by now I leave that part alone.

lapushka
April 29th, 2018, 04:26 AM
Thank you for your response. I thought about something similar. i think I will try the rinse-out method.
Baby oil? I have never heard of anyone doing that. What brand do you use?

I have the Johnson & Johnson one, and also a more "natural" version with sweet almond oil and organic camomile extract (from Lidl, brand = Cien). I don't use a lot, just 10 drops (decant into dropper bottle) or a tiny puddle. Mine is decanted into a pump bottle, but the pump barely pumps product out so it's great to gauge the amount. You don't need a lot! And I would only use it on the very ends. I only use it on the last 5 inches of my hair.

lakhesis
April 29th, 2018, 05:43 AM
I do oil my hair everyday too. If I know I will have my hair down at some point I only use light oil on the ends (argan or almond oil), otherwise I have this mix of lot of oils in a serum bottle that I made and I apply one or two drops from ears down. I have straight blond hair so this would look bit greasy, but I just put it in a braid or a bun and you can't tell at all.
I do an oil treatment before washing my hair and I apply oil on the ends again after washing. My hair feels much softer since I started doing this.

nycelle
April 29th, 2018, 07:41 AM
Pure oils alone aren't moisturizing on my hair so I don't use them as treatments anymore.

I do use argan, or sweet almond in between washes on my ends for slip. It makes detangling easier.

Wendyp
April 29th, 2018, 07:48 AM
That is quite often. Does your hair get super dry?

I’m growing out damage from coloring and hard water. But I think even when all that’s grown out my hair requires it. Interestingly my scalp hates oil even my own for too long. I live in Florida, it’s pretty hot but very humid and I’m outside with horses a lot. My strands are medium. So I thinks it’s a lot of factors. I only use 3 small drops per oiling btw.

MusicalSpoons
April 29th, 2018, 08:59 AM
I used to oil the lengths as and when my hair felt it needed it, which for a while seemed to be almost every day, or at least every two days. Sweet almond oil is the best oil for my hair, for that. For a heavy oiling, I sometimes used olive oil, but it was hard to wash out so I only ever consider it if it will have a few days to be absorbed! Sometimes I do a pre-poo using a deep conditioning oil mask by Ojon, which I believe is now discontinued but its main ingredient was a type of palm oil (sustainably harvested!!) which is an oil that mostly contains saturated fats. My hair doesn't like coconut oil, but that is high in saturated fats too ... actually, maybe if I'd tried refined coconut oil, it might have worked better :hmm:

My main method of oiling now is the rinse-out oil method, with baby oil (mineral oil - Johnson&Johnson's). I use a small/medium puddle, using most of it on the bottom half of my hair (about 15-20 inches) but apply a little to the rest of my lengths up to the bottom of my neck. I apply it to sopping wet hair then squish it through, paying special attention to the very ends (last 3 inches or so) because they need it the most, rinse and then use conditioner in the usual way. I feel it helps lock in moisture and helps give some slip, but there's no 'nourishing' benefit; an organic oil might be a little better for that but I don't actually think that's one of the aims of the method anyway. Oh, and I wash my lengths once a week, otherwise I would probably use much less each time.

If you are interested in the method, the thread linked in lapushka's signature is well worth reading, because it seems slightly different ways of using the method work for each person :) it would also give you an idea where to start, if you decided to try it.

elfynity
April 29th, 2018, 10:20 AM
When I first went off regular shampoos and harming my hair in any way for eg heat etc, I went through a phase of smothering my hair with oil, leaving it in for a few hours and then shampooing it out with an organic shampoo, I did this twice a week - this really helped my hair to replensh lost moisture and started alot of new growth all over.

I then changed to doing leave in oil only, which always left my hair looking oily and it removed all volume so it sat slick against my head - i would then dust cornflour in my hair if I needed to face the world, and then started using a very diluted organic shampoo to wash it out, and sometimes only medium hot water. I would sprapy diluted sweet almond oil or castor oil with peppermint essential oil onto my roots directly by handing my head upside down, and trying not to put any on the 'visible areas' so my hair wouldn't look oily. I also would spray a small amount onto my ends.

All of the above really helped me to moisturize my hair and get me ready for WO washing

I now don't use any oil on my hair at all as it .makes my hair oily, slick and look very gross. I only allow my own sebum to moisturize my hair and use the BBB and it is working better than oiling.