PDA

View Full Version : Boho Hairstyles for Longer Lengths

Isilme
April 26th, 2018, 01:22 PM
Hi! I haven't posted here in ages but I still check the boards now and then. So I'm maintain around classic nowadays and my hair is pretty easygoing. However I feel like I'm stuck in a rut now regarding my hair, some days I don't even comb it and just put it up in my standard bun. I have kind of a bohemian personal style and want my hair to reflect it, but I cannot stand it down for more than an hour or so. Besides I bike something like 25 km everyday so it needs to be up. I'm looking here for help, I want some easy boho styles which can stand a windy ride. All the boho hairstyles are flowy and half ups or some decorative braids in loose hair. Needless to say that doesn't suit my lifestyle with long bikerides, horticultural school and a busy schedule.
I have Ficcares, some hairpins and lots of sticks but don't want to buy any new toys or use products. Could you help a hair-lazy boho gal out?

Eastbound&Down
April 26th, 2018, 03:04 PM
Loose braided buns, or double buns. Milkmaid braids or crown braid with flowers weaved in.

nycelle
April 26th, 2018, 03:36 PM
Some of these are cute

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ey8xFcqe9Qs

Lady Stardust
April 26th, 2018, 03:49 PM
Lace braids around the front or sides are quick and easy, and you could still put the rest of your hair up in a bun. Accent braids would work too.

Your bike helmet might mess the braids up a bit but that would add to the boho feel.

lapushka
April 26th, 2018, 04:42 PM
I would just do a LWB (lazy wrap bun), with maybe some accent braids in the front? A LWB is a totally versatile bun and it stays put really well, for me in any case. It is my go-to!

PixieP
April 27th, 2018, 04:05 AM
There are lots of things you can do! :D

First of all is to have some face framing tendrils, the boho look is very much about being soft. Also make sure the hair right over your ears is short enough that it won't join in an updo; if you google "boho updo" you'll see lots of them has locks loose right over the ears. It's one of my personal favourite ways of adding softness to a look.

Braids are always a good look for the boho style, and messy is good! Personally I'm a huge fan of the "Katniss braid", here (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CpVnRZJCGhI)is a very good tutorial. While biking you can tuck the braid under your jacket or top if you don't want it hanging around. And if you use a helmet, it should fit on top without a problem.
Like others said, accent braids around the face before bunning is also a great way of adding some boho. Combine with some loose face tendrils and voila!

Curls and texture really help with a softer, moure tousled look. Sleeping in a french/dutch braid with a paranda (you can make a short one just to make the waves go all the way out to the ends with whatever leftover yarn or ribbon you can find around the house) is a good way of getting more waves, I actually prefer to sleep in double braids as I feel the roots gets more wave all over then. My lazy way of heatless curls is to put my hair in a high ponytail before sleeping, sprits some water on it, and then make pin curls that gets fastened around the ponytail base. They're messy curls, but great for adding texture and volume and softness to buns.

My favourite messy bun is the "puffed not-ilus" (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OrJcJ0X6v9w&list=PLmKbvTS6lo4_QDJRCM6JM0VBRyO1aPkWA&index=4). Personally I prefer to hold this with a fork, but I'm sure you can make it work with a ficcare or sticks :) This is a hair-friendly bun. Works extra great with some lazy ponytail pincurs!

Another way of showing some length without having it loose is a fake ponytai. My favourite way is like this: make a knot bun, secure with a ficcare, and let the ends hang over. Like such:
https://i.imgur.com/hRnYunR.jpg
It eats length, it's very stable, gives the tousled look. My hair was really straight that day, but it looks better with textured hair.

Braided buns are also great, pancake and pull on the braid to make it messy, then make a cinnabun with your favourite stick.

Isilme
April 29th, 2018, 03:21 AM
So many nice suggestion, thank you! I feel like buns are my best hairstyle, a braid gets whipped around and my neck gets sweaty. A braided bun though, I like the idea but they always end up looking very severe. How do I make them less Professor McGonagall and more boho? I might even cut in some tendrils around the ear, nice idea.

PixieP
April 29th, 2018, 05:59 AM
Pull on the braid to loosen it/"pancake" it so it gets messy, and experiment with placement. The "stern matron"-look comes more often from a low nape bun. A bun placed higher on the head, or on the side, is much more youthful. Starting with a dutch or french braid is great.
After braiding, I like to pull a little on the hair around the face, to "puff" it a bit so it doesn't like so flat against the head (and I'll also pull out a few tendrils of face framing hair). Or combine with an accent braid, a lace two-strand braid is very sweet around the face.
A side braid won't leave your neck sweaty or bounce around (like the Katniss braid I liked a tutorial to). A crown braid or milkmaid braids are fastened around the head, so they will not give any of the problems you have with braids.

browneyedsusan
May 1st, 2018, 09:26 AM
Some of these are cute

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ey8xFcqe9Qs

Ooh! Style at 17:30ish is new to me! Plus, it's anchored with elastics = great for slippy hair!