PDA

View Full Version : Calling all 2c/3a

Luna Starsetta
April 26th, 2018, 09:47 AM
Hello all Luna here. I was pointed to an old 2c/3a and figured id restart it.

Yes this is for those in between the Wavy/Whurly/Curlies. This thread is to post pictures, ask questions to find what our fellow twin hair types on here found that works for their wavey / curly hair.

Frizz always seems to follow me. Did you all find any products that work for you. Or detangle tools that are gentle and don't break off hair? Cause I know brushing my hair dry out of the question. I turn into the poster lady for the 1980s with all the big hair.

Hope to meet you all soon to discuss everything and anything hair!

Flowerness
April 26th, 2018, 05:11 PM
You have such lovely hair! I wonder if my hair is heading in this direction, because over time it is turning out more and more wurly. I have fought the battle of the frizzies, and at this point, I try to find the balance between what I want and what my hair needs. For me, the frizz is all about how porous my hair is- or at least lately. Using ACV rinse more frequently is helping a bit, but Aloe Vera really seems to make my hair better moisturized and curlier I think. I love brushing my hair. It seems to straighten it out rather quickly, so sometimes I'll bun it afterwords to make it straight and frizz free.

Spikey
April 26th, 2018, 05:49 PM
Personally, I don't even think about it. Frizz just comes with being a curly and as long as it's not because of damage, why control it? Everyone has their own tastes of course, but you might want to try seeing if you can just accept your frizzes. You may even start to like them. I think mine are pretty cute, they just add texture and don't hurt anyone.

As for detangling, I really like fingercombing! It's more controlled, and there's less tugging.

spirals
April 26th, 2018, 08:22 PM
I feel the same about frizz. I just got a detangling brush and it's the best ever. It's the Swissco Soft Touch Detangling brush. I still have to spray it with silicone shine stuff. My other products are oil, hairspray for my bangs, and Shea Moisture Peace Rose spray moisturizer. I fear that one is being discontinued until I realize I don't use it often. I actually use it more in my re-wetting bottle mixed with water than on my hair directly. Once it's gone I probably won't replace it. Maybe in the summer when the poof gets really out of control I'll employ some aloe.

Dark40
April 26th, 2018, 09:13 PM
Me too, also have that frizzy hair problem. The best products I use to tame the frizz is Garnier Fructis Sleek And Shine Leave-In Conditioning Cream. I use it before I blow-dry my hair. There is also Garnier Fructis Marocan Oil Frizz Oil.

SallySue
April 27th, 2018, 09:37 AM
I might belong here... my hair is straight at the roots, wavy in the midlengths, and fizzles out into little ringlets at the bottom. Yes, I know all about frizz. My curl definition disappears with the slightest wind and proofs up quite unattractively in the humidity. I just got a copy of the Curly Girl handbook and am going to start using that method to see if it helps. After all, as they say, "frizz is just a curl waiting to happen." It seems to rely heavily on gels (alcohol free, with glycerin as a main ingredient). Aloe vera gel (alcohol free) is supposed to be an option too, but I've never tried it.

lapushka
April 27th, 2018, 11:51 AM
I might belong here... my hair is straight at the roots, wavy in the midlengths, and fizzles out into little ringlets at the bottom. Yes, I know all about frizz. My curl definition disappears with the slightest wind and proofs up quite unattractively in the humidity. I just got a copy of the Curly Girl handbook and am going to start using that method to see if it helps. After all, as they say, "frizz is just a curl waiting to happen." It seems to rely heavily on gels (alcohol free, with glycerin as a main ingredient). Aloe vera gel (alcohol free) is supposed to be an option too, but I've never tried it.

SallySue, the Eco Styler gel is a very popular gel among curlies. YT is full of it. A lot like it, some don't, but you'll have to see how you feel. It is alcohol-free.

SallySue
April 27th, 2018, 12:01 PM
TY for the recommendation! I've had good results with Strictly Curls curl defining lotion by Marc Anthony, but as a "lotion" it has lighter hold than a traditional gel. After 2 years my bottle's almost out, so it's time to shop for a new gel!

chiapommama
April 27th, 2018, 12:02 PM
LA Looks is a good gel to try. Inexpensive too. I got a huge 20 ounce bottle for Two dollars and change at Walmart.

nycelle
April 27th, 2018, 12:13 PM
Hello all Luna here. I was pointed to an old 2c/3a and figured id restart it.

Yes this is for those in between the Wavy/Whurly/Curlies. This thread is to post pictures, ask questions to find what our fellow twin hair types on here found that works for their wavey / curly hair.

Frizz always seems to follow me. Did you all find any products that work for you. Or detangle tools that are gentle and don't break off hair? Cause I know brushing my hair dry out of the question. I turn into the poster lady for the 1980s with all the big hair.

Hope to meet you all soon to discuss everything and anything hair!

Frizz follows me too, but I think I've finally managed to get it under control. At least today getting caught in the rain didn't cause any..lol
I use heavy products though.

You have gorgeous hair by the way.. really beautiful.

Lady Honey
April 27th, 2018, 11:40 PM
Interested in hearing the answers in this thread! I'm a 2c/3a that straightens her hair daily... I'm constantly fighting my natural texture, but I just can't get it to look good. :(

Milady_DeWinter
April 28th, 2018, 03:36 AM
Your texture is just like mine before the dyes/henna, now it's a bit more relaxed; i'm still a clear 2c but I'll probably be a mix of 2c/3a once my virgin hair grows long :) May be, hair texture changes too.

Just today Facebook remembered me a pic from 8 years ago (ick!) where I'm chilling with an old friend, my dear Chiyo. The color is a bit sepia, but you can still see that my natural hair is quite curly, similar to yours.

http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=31433&d=1524908028

My hair some weeks ago:

http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=31141&d=1523116181

I'l with your with the frizziness. For me, the best are a mix of styling creams and avocado oil to keep those in control. We'll never ever have one of those silky perfect manes that never have a rebellious hair, but curls are so cool - even with frizz :)

I'm also in love with Nightblooming (https://www.etsy.com/shop/NightBlooming) salves in order to have a silkier mane and less frizz, I've tried all 3 and Freya is my fav, followed by Panacea :) Her oils are incredible too, esp for the smell, but simple avocado or almond oil works perfectly too.

I just put the cream/salve mixed with a couple of drops of oil in my palms after washing my hair, while it's brushed and wet, and put it on my hair, from ears to down. Scrunch it a bit, and i can either blow out WITH COLD AIR only, or air dry. I can also put some more drops of oil while it's drying if i feel that I need it, and to seal the moisture a bit more.

i hope it helps a bit!

Lady Honey
April 29th, 2018, 06:52 PM
Thank you, Milady DeWinter! :) Those suggestions were super helpful to me, and our hair looks very, very similar in texture and thickness. Your post is a large part of the reason I'm wearing my hair curly today; trying to learn how to style it and embrace it.

Luna Starsetta
May 2nd, 2018, 04:32 PM
Thank you all I love reading the replies!

AngelAki
May 2nd, 2018, 06:11 PM
Hey! You guys have recommendations for frizz?

cjk
May 2nd, 2018, 06:15 PM
Plopping, then scrunching to break the cast.

spirals
May 2nd, 2018, 08:03 PM
Hey! You guys have recommendations for frizz?

Accepting it. ;)

lapushka
May 3rd, 2018, 06:07 AM
LA Looks is a good gel to try. Inexpensive too. I got a huge 20 ounce bottle for Two dollars and change at Walmart.

It is a great gel! :)

I had their long discontinued "curl" line (was a blue gel, not like the "curls" one now). The bottle lasted me forever, which is why it was discontinued once the bottle was finally empty. LOL!

It was this one (you can see it's no longer available):
https://www.amazon.com/Absolute-Styling-Defining-Control-Looks/dp/B000A3V2DG

tangocurl
May 5th, 2018, 10:30 AM
I definitely belong here and am glad you started this thread. My hair is almost 2b at the crown, but 3a underneath...when I was a kid, my hair was 3a all over. But, I also wore it in a bob my entire childhood. Now my hair is a mostly a mix of wave and loose curl, and the longer it gets, the more relaxed the curl. I also have a thin layer of henna, which tips it more toward 2c.

I don’t have a frizz problem now that I don’t blow dry. But I do have to do weird things to make my hair dry with more or less a uniform curl/wurl pattern. I sometimes put one large, loose pin curl at my crown to make that hair curl up more, and put the underneath layer in a loose ponytail to relax the curl there. I am probably pickier about it than I need to be.

Ondine11
May 5th, 2018, 08:37 PM
Without a keratin treatment, my hair is a 2c-3a even 3a-3b depending upon the weather & the mood it is in. Since eachh strand is extremely fine, I was prone to frizzing, & detangling meant breaking off too many hairs. Giving myself keratin treatments as needed (every 3 months in cooler weather, every other month from May to Sept.) saved my hair & my sanity. It would be easier to accept IF I knew what it was I was actually accepting! In ts natural state, it never ever dries the same way twice. IF I lean against anything when it is drying, the curls straighten out in back, leaving me with curly front & sides, but straight in back. IF I wear a hat, my hair above the hat-line would go pin straight. If I slept on it curly, I'd wake up straight on the side I slept on. EXASPERATING!!! At LEAST if it would hold a meeting & come to a consensus, I might consider leaving it keratin free.

Luna Starsetta
May 6th, 2018, 12:03 PM
Guys omg I'm so super excited. I think I found a winner that combats my frizz! *cheers in background * yes I know I can't believe it. So I'll tell you guys what I found out. I use shea Moisture Coconut & Hibiscus Curl & Shine Conditioner as a leave in only a half pump per side on wet or dry hair. Then I go in with Shea moisture coconut & hibiscus curl & style milk with Silk protein & neem oil about a nickel sized amount on each side I do the over top smoothing meotod with that. Then I go in with the same Shea Moisture Coconut & Hibiscus line Curling Gel Soufflé! I only use a thin layer of this!(I don't like crunch) I use the prayer method for the gel and I went about my day used my regular pineapple hairstyle to sleep in my silk cap. I'm in shock I had like NO FRIZZ the next morning. I did repeat the steps again this morning but added a little oil over top... I'm super happy!!! Posting a picture later cause I feel I have to share!

Flowerness
May 6th, 2018, 02:12 PM
I think that I'm coming to the realization that my hair doesn't like a blunt hemline. I changed it to a U hemline, and my hair seems to be curling at the ends a lot more. Sometimes little changes really do make a difference!

tangocurl
May 6th, 2018, 06:34 PM
Without a keratin treatment, my hair is a 2c-3a even 3a-3b depending upon the weather & the mood it is in. Since eachh strand is extremely fine, I was prone to frizzing, & detangling meant breaking off too many hairs. Giving myself keratin treatments as needed (every 3 months in cooler weather, every other month from May to Sept.) saved my hair & my sanity. It would be easier to accept IF I knew what it was I was actually accepting! In ts natural state, it never ever dries the same way twice. IF I lean against anything when it is drying, the curls straighten out in back, leaving me with curly front & sides, but straight in back. IF I wear a hat, my hair above the hat-line would go pin straight. If I slept on it curly, I'd wake up straight on the side I slept on. EXASPERATING!!! At LEAST if it would hold a meeting & come to a consensus, I might consider leaving it keratin free.

I did keratin treatments on the underneath layers a few times just to force that “meeting.” LOL!! It’s better now that it is longer. I totally get it about the hair going flat under a hat or leaning up against something. Uggghhhh don’t touch me, my hair’s drying!

tangocurl
May 6th, 2018, 06:37 PM
Guys omg I'm so super excited. I think I found a winner that combats my frizz! *cheers in background * yes I know I can't believe it. So I'll tell you guys what I found out. I use shea Moisture Coconut & Hibiscus Curl & Shine Conditioner as a leave in only a half pump per side on wet or dry hair. Then I go in with Shea moisture coconut & hibiscus curl & style milk with Silk protein & neem oil about a nickel sized amount on each side I do the over top smoothing meotod with that. Then I go in with the same Shea Moisture Coconut & Hibiscus line Curling Gel Soufflé! I only use a thin layer of this!(I don't like crunch) I use the prayer method for the gel and I went about my day used my regular pineapple hairstyle to sleep in my silk cap. I'm in shock I had like NO FRIZZ the next morning. I did repeat the steps again this morning but added a little oil over top... I'm super happy!!! Posting a picture later cause I feel I have to share!

That’s very exciting! Your hair is gorgeous and I hope mine gets that long soon. I’ll keep your product recommendation in mind!