PDA

View Full Version : What do we use to brush our hair?

Luna Starsetta
April 24th, 2018, 05:44 PM
Hello everyone. I searched for a thread like this. Couldn't find one if there is one sorry to repeate. And if there wasn't well here it is now! There so many different options out there for brushes so I was wondering what my fellow friends on here use.

What do you use to brush or detangle your hair? What hair type are you? Is it different for each hair type? Dry brush? Wet brush? Several brushes? No brush?

I'm finding that everyone has opinions and they are always different and I love that. So what do you personally use or believe works best for you and why?

missmelaniem
April 24th, 2018, 06:10 PM
I'm not that particular. wet: I finger detangle with conditioner on in the shower, then usually either my Mason Pearson comb or my Aveda paddle brush. Dry I use a Tangle Genie it's similar to a Tangle Teezer but with more stiff bristles. Have both, the Tangle Teezer isnt enough to get through my hair.

Larki
April 24th, 2018, 06:21 PM
I wait until my hair is mostly dry, then use my wide tooth Eternally In Amber comb, followed my my fine tooth EIA comb. In the evenings on days that aren't my wash day, I also use a boar bristle bush as the final step, after oiling. I own a tangle teezer type brush, but it doesn't often get used because my hair doesn't tangle. I can run my comb from the roots to ends without encountering any snags.

nycelle
April 24th, 2018, 08:34 PM
I use my fingers, or a wide tooth comb. I haven't used a brush in years.

ravenheather
April 24th, 2018, 09:13 PM
I use a wooden wide tooth comb on myself followed by a boat bristle brush. On my 3a dd i use a tangle teezer. I would also use the tangle teezer on me if I had a particularly tangle day.

Garnetgem
April 24th, 2018, 10:31 PM
I use my fingers then a wide tooth comb,then followed by my ordinary plastic comb...i do occasionally use a tangle teezer but i notice it can cause split ends,i now use the tangle teezer as a shampoo brush for the scalp only,it feels wonderful plus it prevents scalp build up..that's about it for my brushes/combs up to now i keep it rather simple :)

Glitch
April 24th, 2018, 11:13 PM
I used a generic plastic wide tooth comb to detangle (basically to comb out straight) my hair after showers. It takes me seconds, and I don't think any other type of comb/brush/etc. would make a difference.

I usually straighten my hair through a heatless method, which takes my hair from 2a/2b to 1a, and use a wooden brush on it later as needed. Otherwise, I don't want to disturb my natural wave pattern with the brush and just leave it be after detangling with the comb. This is just what works the best for me -different things suit different hair types :)

Soulina
April 25th, 2018, 12:14 AM
I use just wide tooth comb (wooden, plastic or horn) and I have 1a hair.

Luna Starsetta
April 25th, 2018, 12:50 AM
Thank you for sharing your opinions ladies! Its so great reading everyone's different opinions. Most of you mentioned a tangle teezer I may have to check that one out. Keep em coming!

lapushka
April 25th, 2018, 03:13 AM
There's plenty of threads like this by now, but another one... why not.

I brush exclusively now. No more wide tooth combs, to me, that really pulled & tugged at my scalp.

I finger detangle Tuesday through Saturday, this means I separate the strands to free up sheds (I don't rake fingers through). Then on Sunday is my washday, and I detangle pre-wash with a TT (Tangle Teezer). Then I wash, and when my hair gets out the towel (after 30-45 min.), I go in once more with a Wet Brush before styling my hair with my stylers (which I scrunch in). Then it's back to leaving it alone for the week; no detangling tools at all because I don't want to disturb the natural texture. Monday nothing comes out my head (I lost it all on wash day, and trust me a "beast" comes out in sheds), then Tuesday through Saturday it's back to finger "separating".

AutobotsAttack
April 25th, 2018, 04:54 AM
There’s no possible way for me to even consider detangling with a brush. Last time I detangled with a brush, it didn’t even move on contact with my hair. Stopped about an inch from my scalp, so no luck with that.

Now I strictly detangle in the shower, with a wooden comb. When I get out I let my hair air dry about 50% of the way, and finger tangle or headbang a little.

Dendra
April 25th, 2018, 04:55 AM
I use only my fingers. I just got used to it and now don't feel the need for a brush, though I used to love my BBB and the way it made my scalp feel. With my fingers I can be gentler on knots etc. And I don't have to carry a brush in my bag :cool:

Joules
April 25th, 2018, 05:50 AM
Nothing but a tangle teezer for the past 3+ years. Well, I do use a rat tail comb to make my partings neat, but other than that only TT. I brush both dry and soaking wet hair with it. My hair is in a much better condition thanks to it, I used to have a ton of mechanical damage due to wrong brushes and hairties.

lapushka
April 25th, 2018, 05:55 AM
Nothing but a tangle teezer for the past 3+ years. Well, I do use a rat tail comb to make my partings neat, but other than that only TT. I brush both dry and soaking wet hair with it. My hair is in a much better condition thanks to it, I used to have a ton of mechanical damage due to wrong brushes and hairties.

Oh yes, I do that, to even out my side part; but that's about it.

Stagecoach
April 25th, 2018, 06:05 AM
I have recently become a believer in wood bristle brushes. They are so exquisitely gentle and refreshing!

ravenskey
April 25th, 2018, 06:37 AM
Wet: finger detangle with conditioner in shower and then use a wide toothed comb once I'm out.
Dry: Wide toothed comb, oil, 2nd comb, and then a paddle brush - it takes a while but although the comb is gentler it never gets all the tangles out.

Aredhel
April 25th, 2018, 07:12 AM
I can't even attempt to detangle my hair at all when it's wet; any degree of pulling on my wet hair strands always results in something snapping. :rolleyes: When my hair is dry though, I use a smooth wooden WT comb. I also have a WT horn comb that I adore using when I remember to use it, it glides right through my hair. :) I've been meaning to give hair picks a try though, apparently they are very gentle on tangly/fine hair...

Milady_DeWinter
April 25th, 2018, 07:42 AM
Fingers, a wide teeth horn comb and my Tangle Teezer for thick and curly hair :)

Zombee
April 25th, 2018, 10:30 AM
I never brush my hair. It's only between shoulder and AP length and it's also really thin so finger detangling after a shower is all I've ever needed to do. Once it grows longer, I'm guessing it will be more prone to tangling so it's interesting reading these posts.

gustavonut
April 25th, 2018, 11:45 AM
Nothing has been working for me that doesn’t break my hair or rip it out.
Combing/brushing in the shower is out of the question...
I’ve currently tried: TT (has the least breakage but is so annoying to clean), eternallyinamber combs (not that much damage but still breaks), Wet brush (Yes, this has worked for me but I’ve recently noticed a lot of breakage and my hair has started getting caught on the tiny bristles next to the big bristles which means lots of ripped out and broken hair), and fingercombing (greasy hair even when using clean hands).
I’ve have been considering the hairsense wide tooth comb.

NightSister
April 25th, 2018, 11:49 AM
Wet hair: no combing or finger detangling
Dry: Wooden wide-tooth comb followed by wooden fine-tooth comb. I do have a BBB that I scarcely use now, but I think if I styled my hair more I would use it more frequently.

elfynity
April 25th, 2018, 12:20 PM
I have super fine hair, but quite a lot of it. It is wavy and the ends often have ringlets. I am a type 2A. The very ends are dry and often frizzy from old hair dye a while ago, but the BBB is helping.

I use a regular paddle brush to brush through my hair and get the tangles out very well. I only ever brush my hair when it is totally dry. I brush with my BBB for about 5 to 10 mins at least twice a day. Before I started WO I had alot of static brushing with the BBB, but since the sebum has coated my hair there is no static.

The BBB really helps to distribute the oils evenly and makes my hair ridiculously glossy everywhere. I also flip my hair over, this is a process - I use my paddle brush to brush into high pony and then flip my hair and keep brushing and then use the BBB upside down in the evenings before bed.

The other thing I do alot of now is rub my fingers through my scalp and just massage and pull at my hair - it just feels really good.

Reservechic
April 25th, 2018, 12:44 PM
I own nylon bristle brushes, tangle tweezers, wet brushes, and more, however, the best detangling tool for my hair is the Denman No. 3 brush. I've tried using my fingers and a wide tooth comb at times throughout my hair journey (since I've been doing my hair), and none of them elongate my curls the best or allow for my hair to stay as frizz and tangle free as my hair does then the Denman brush. Yes, it has a lot of give to it, however, it doesn't cause me to lose excessive amounts of hair when I use it towards brushing my hair with. I experience hardly any shedding and I mainly wash my hair once a week, sometimes twice a week if need be, and it is in my hair wash days that I do a major delta fling of my hair only. I go section by section on soaking wet hair, apply my styling product of choice, and then detailed each section as I go along with my Denman brush.

In regards to my hair, I have a naturally loose curl pattern, plus my hair is fine textured, and is of low density as well.

shaluwm_agape
April 25th, 2018, 02:06 PM
Since growing out my hair I use a scalp massager brush in the shower and finger detangle if needed... but that's rare. I let my hair completely dry, use a wide tooth, comb then my wooden bristle brush. I do use my brush every night on the days that its not wet. And finger detangle when I am out.

Rebeccalaurenxx
April 25th, 2018, 02:38 PM
Fingers and wide tooth comb. Tried everything else and it just gave me breakage.

CopperButterfly
April 25th, 2018, 11:09 PM
My hair does not like combs or finger detangling. They just snag and pull. I almost feel like fingers create tangles. I've got a conair paddle brush that glides through my hair. And a wet brush for when my hair is damp after washing. I occasionally use a bbb, but not for detangling, just to smooth my hair. I'm hoping to get a nice widu wooden bristle brush for my birthday next month. I've heard they're really nice.

TheForestFae
April 26th, 2018, 05:42 AM
I detangling my hair before shampoo it by using a wooden brush. When I'm get into the shower I would use a massage brush for my scalp and after the shower, I just leave my hair and wait for it to get dry. Once my hair get dry I brush it again with my wooden brush :)

chomsky
April 26th, 2018, 10:23 AM
I've been using the wet brush but that hasn't been going too well lately (my hair has been wrapping around the bristles, pulling, and I had to cut an end off a curl because it wrapped so tightly and couldn't budge).

Other than that, I just used a wide tooth comb. I only brush my hair when wet and full of conditioner.

Reyn127
April 26th, 2018, 12:03 PM
I finger comb only these days, it’s been about a year. Before that I used a plastic shower comb, the one with the extremely wide teeth. Before that I just used a basic hairbrush, with the bristles attached into the squishy rubber base. The majority of my hair is pretty fine, so the hairbrush was basically wrecking it every day though.

Mlarmour
April 27th, 2018, 04:51 AM
I use either a tangle teaser or a white brush. Both detangle my hair very easily without pulling or scratching my scalp.

circlers
April 27th, 2018, 06:38 AM
Fingers and wooden wide toothed comb on wet hair
That same comb and a wooden brush on damp hair if I need to do something with it
All 3 on my dry hair.

jenni626yz
April 27th, 2018, 04:07 PM
Hello everyone. I searched for a thread like this. Couldn't find one if there is one sorry to repeate. And if there wasn't well here it is now! There so many different options out there for brushes so I was wondering what my fellow friends on here use.

What do you use to brush or detangle your hair? What hair type are you? Is it different for each hair type? Dry brush? Wet brush? Several brushes? No brush?

I'm finding that everyone has opinions and they are always different and I love that. So what do you personally use or believe works best for you and why?

A wet brush very slowly on soaking wet product filled hair. Garnier butter cream leave in and garnier avocado 1 min mask as a leave in.

Sarez
April 27th, 2018, 10:59 PM
Used plastic brushes for years until I randomly came across a boar bristle brush and wooden/bamboo wide-tooth comb at my local chemist. The change was amazing. Although, the BBB makes my hair really fluffy these days, and so I love my wood comb the best.
Have only brushed towel-dried hair a few times in my life - doesn't do anything for me.

peachyleshy
April 28th, 2018, 09:36 AM
I mostly use a plastic Conair brush. I can feel it snagging my hair so I'd like to find something else. I will finger comb if I've been wearing it up. But it's more tangled a brush does better. I also like to feel the brush on my scalp. I have a Tangle Teezer, but I don't like it very much. I also have a boat bristle brush that I like on my scalp, and for after I spray dry shampoo, but it stirs up my dandruff so I don't always use it.
I think I would like to try out a wood bristle brush. I don't like combs.
My hair is mostly fine, straight, and thin/medium density :)

melikai
April 28th, 2018, 07:56 PM
I use mostly my fingers, sometimes a Mason Pearson Sensitive bbb, and more often a horn comb with closer tines.

FaerieKitty
April 29th, 2018, 12:56 AM
Tangle teezer and BBB are my go to. I have a wide tooth but very very rarely use it now. I use the BBB twice a day, and the TT if it's a bit tangled. I try to never brush wet hair but it happens occasionally so go very gently with the TT

Stray_mind
April 29th, 2018, 01:03 AM
My fingers. I'm thinking of getting a wide tooth comb.

grinlord
April 29th, 2018, 01:40 AM
Wide plastic comb for conditioner in the shower, fingers on a daily basis, tangle teaser for extreme cases, or if I've straightened my hair.

BlueKittyMeow
May 1st, 2018, 03:28 PM
I’ve been just finger combing for about half a year now. My hair is slightly wavy and this gets through without tangles better than any comb.

I also finger detangle with conditioner in when I shower. I have a nice seamless comb but even that is too hard on my hair.

I’m super forgetful and travel between houses a lot so this is one less thing for me to forget :P

Wendyp
May 1st, 2018, 03:56 PM
Tangle teaser, very wide tooth comb, fingers or wet brush that’s it.

AngelAki
May 1st, 2018, 06:21 PM
I brush once a day before bed unless I'm going somewhere and want to style it. But I just use a normal paddle brush to brush and detangle. I use a BBB for styling.

My hair is 2c 3a and colored damaged with alittle heat damage. But its recovering nicely.

Onthepath
May 2nd, 2018, 10:14 AM
I have wavy hair and typically brush it gently with a basic plastic brush about a day after it has dried. I'd like to get something better but that hasn't been possible yet. As long as I'm gentle I don't have any problems.

Pacific
May 2nd, 2018, 09:34 PM
At first I comb either with my very big wide toothed comb Hercules Sägemann Magic Star or a wide toothed horn comb.
I then comb either with my fine toothed comb Hercules Sägemann Lady Star or a finer horn comb. Finally I brush with a big paddle brush with wooden bristles without bulbs.

Katsura
May 2nd, 2018, 10:52 PM
Whenever I feel I need to brush my hair I use a Tangle Teezer. I try to skip brushing when I can and do detangling with my fingers. I've got a horn comb with wide teeth, but whenever I use it, which is rarely, some odd splits appear. I don't get split ends usually, so I've thought maybe this comb has sharp edges or something, and it is not of very good quality.