PDA

View Full Version : No-trimming 2020! First half only!

Pages : [1] 2 3

lapushka
April 24th, 2018, 12:41 PM
For this challenge, you need to trim at the latest January 1st 2020.
Challenge ends on June 30th 2020.

No other trims are allowed during this half of the year for you to be part of this challenge.

If you want to no-trim for shorter periods of time during the year, then the "no-trimming club" is a better place for you:
http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=132

Welcome, and "happy growing"!

Here's some easy guidelines for you:

You may maintain bangs.
You may not cut them in.
You may S&D
You may not trim.

If you are wanting to trim, please do so from:
January 1st through to January 5th!

ravenskey
April 24th, 2018, 04:26 PM
Oops didn't see this at first - I posted in the full 2020 one.

I'm in for the first half.

Rehab350
April 24th, 2018, 04:51 PM
Why 2020 😮

Luna Starsetta
April 24th, 2018, 05:10 PM
Is there a thread for no trimming end of 2018?

ravenskey
April 24th, 2018, 05:13 PM
Is there a thread for no trimming end of 2018?

Yes, http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=143313 is the thread.

Soulina
April 25th, 2018, 12:00 AM
I will sing up for this, I wonder how long my hair will be then. I am now at hip(ish) so maybe tbl or maybe even (oh no I do not dare say it) longer... I am really short so hip to tbl is like 15 cm :D

lapushka
April 27th, 2018, 04:13 PM
ravenskey, thank you so much for posting the link. :)

And welcome you guys.

Rehab350, to answer your question. Some of us like to plan ahead, I guess. 2 years seems "fair". I will wait on posting the 2021 thread until next year.

ravenskey
April 28th, 2018, 06:53 AM
I will wait on posting the 2021 thread until next year.

I'll be an early sign up to that one :) and probably 2022 as well.

lapushka
April 28th, 2018, 07:17 AM
I'll be an early sign up to that one :) and probably 2022 as well.

Yeah... I can't put them up already, can I? Bit too soon? No. What do you think?

ravenskey
April 28th, 2018, 12:29 PM
Yeah, it's probably a bit soon for most people, next year may be better.

I know I'll be in them because of how often I trim anyway but people that really want the challenge for the year might have forgotten the threads exist by 2021/2022!

lapushka
April 28th, 2018, 12:50 PM
Yeah, it's probably a bit soon for most people, next year may be better.

I know I'll be in them because of how often I trim anyway but people that really want the challenge for the year might have forgotten the threads exist by 2021/2022!

True, better to create them fresh when the time comes. 2 years in advance is quite a bit already. :)

Dark40
May 7th, 2018, 07:01 PM
You can count me in! I'm not planning on trimming the first half of 2020.

TreesOfEternity
October 4th, 2018, 09:00 AM
I'm in as well. I've been doing the maths and by the end of this challenge, if I don't trim (or at least don't trim more than 1/2 inch a year) I'll be at CL! We will see if this comes true, it's exciting to think about it at least :) plus I also love to have long term plans as well as short term.

MemeAimee
October 4th, 2018, 10:34 PM
I'll sign up for this!!! ATM, my hair is 23.5 inches (2 inches away from waist for me), but I just messed it all up a few months ago when I bleached my natural med/light brown hair thinking I wanted a change (I was WRONG). Tonight I just dyed it back brown with one n' only argan oil demi and 10 volume developer, it just happens to be my natural color. Trying to get it back healthy again, because I don't want to cut it! So by 2020, my hair could be as long as my tail bone! We shall see! :D

lapushka
October 7th, 2018, 04:15 AM
I'll sign up for this!!! ATM, my hair is 23.5 inches (2 inches away from waist for me), but I just messed it all up a few months ago when I bleached my natural med/light brown hair thinking I wanted a change (I was WRONG). Tonight I just dyed it back brown with one n' only argan oil demi and 10 volume developer, it just happens to be my natural color. Trying to get it back healthy again, because I don't want to cut it! So by 2020, my hair could be as long as my tail bone! We shall see! :D

Had no idea you dyed it back to your original color!

That's great. :)

Happy growing.

Dark40, TreesOfEternity, and MemeAimee, welcome!

Agava
April 8th, 2019, 01:16 PM
Although I'm already checked in for the whole 2020, I'll join this thread too, in case that I need a trim while on the half way.

lapushka
April 8th, 2019, 01:21 PM
Although I'm already checked in for the whole 2020, I'll join this thread too, in case that I need a trim while on the half way.

Very smart thing to do! And all in all, trimming 2 times a year when it's absolutely max. an inch off per time isn't that "bad" at all! :)

Agava
April 8th, 2019, 03:47 PM
I agree! I myself would rather 4 times but one cm, to be honest. :D
But, growing with one trim per year is something completely new for me. That's why I'm in No-trimming 2019. And I wish I could keep this mood for 2020, if my hair allows me.

lapushka
April 8th, 2019, 03:59 PM
I agree! I myself would rather 4 times but one cm, to be honest. :D
But, growing with one trim per year is something completely new for me. That's why I'm in No-trimming 2019. And I wish I could keep this mood for 2020, if my hair allows me.

It's still relatively short, if you don't mind me saying so, the benefit to that is, that it can go a long time without trimming - normally. Just keep an eye on it once in a while to see how it does with no trimming, or less trimming. :)

LongHairM
June 9th, 2019, 12:51 PM
Count me in!
I'm doing the No-trimming 2019 for the entire year and my ends are not in the best condition, so I'm not going to do the entire 2020 challenge. Instead, I'll do the two halves of 2020 and trim between them, and I'll probably trim between the 2019 yearly challenge and 2020 first half challenge.
What's exciting is that by the end of this challenge, in June 30th 2020, I'll be back to my hair length pre big chop - almost waist length :D

Hasse
July 2nd, 2019, 09:06 AM
Count me in! I should be well on my way to BSL at the end of this challenge.

zashin66
July 2nd, 2019, 09:25 AM
I will join. I messed up by cutting 1.5 inches in a few weeks ago in a moment of funk..... ( Hangs head). I think I will not join the second half for now. I will leave a few options open

The-Young-Maid
July 2nd, 2019, 09:44 AM
I'm going to join this first half. If my growth remains consistent, then I should be brushing classic at the end of this year. By mid 2020 I could be brushing fingertip. But these are wet measurements so I'm not sure how much length I'll lose from volume. I may need to join the second half if my hair just isn't quite there when dry *bummer*

I believe fingertip is my absolute max length so if I manage to reach that during 2020 I will happily begin to maintain. I'll whip those scissors out and micro trim every month. Seriously guys I LOVE fresh, blunt ends but I'm too damn curious to see how it looks longer lol I'll admit that my ends don't look BAD. My racers are growing out really evenly atm *knock on wood* They're just looking a tad on the wispy side for me. Considering my ends several years ago before the changes I made? It's like night and day looking at the thickness now. It's moving down too, might be waist length my mid 2020.

I'm fairly confident I can manage to reach fingertip and have a decent hem. It's just growing out the racers that really kills my confidence cause I don't feel my best without a blunt hem. I just don't feel tidy. But I'm going to braid and leave it alone for as long as I can stand. I'm so close I can't waver now!

zashin66
July 2nd, 2019, 09:56 AM
The-young-maid I hear a familiar tune (says with a fun grin). I wish you luck resisting LHCitis....."I'll grow just a little longer and then I'll trim because I want to see if I can grow to____"(fill-in the blank). I know I'm well and truly caught (said with affection to LHC).:love::waving:

hannabiss
July 2nd, 2019, 11:21 AM
Im in for the half year challenges next year. After 2019 I think I'll do best with a trim every 6 months. (My ends get velcro-y no matter how much I baby them after APL) Just hoping to finish 2019 with no trims.

Aerya
July 2nd, 2019, 11:37 AM
I'm in. Hoping to get to waist by next summer.

pisinoe
July 2nd, 2019, 11:42 AM
Count me in.

Natalina
July 2nd, 2019, 11:53 AM
I've failed every one of these every year, but I'll give next year a go. Since I got a big chop last year, I've been loving having short hair. But with my new job, I've been too busy to care for my hair at all, chances are I won't trim/cut until it's literally getting in the way of my life or something dramatic like that. :p

raemarthe
September 8th, 2019, 07:39 PM
Almost finished the 2019 challenge, and I'm hoping to remain trim free until next year. Lets do it!

littlestarface
September 8th, 2019, 07:57 PM
I'm joining these no trim thingies but uh I don't know if I should cuz usually if I say i'm not I do it and if I don't say anything I don't.

Stray_mind
September 9th, 2019, 01:22 AM
I am in. :)

Simpscone
September 9th, 2019, 03:53 AM
I'm in. I'll be trimming just before the start of the challenge. Aiming to go the full year, but I'll trim at 6 months if my hair needs it!

Aerya
September 9th, 2019, 04:36 AM
Count me in as well. :)

lapushka
September 9th, 2019, 04:38 AM
Woooh you guys are rearing to go. :cheer:
Good luck to everybody! :)

TatsuOni
September 9th, 2019, 05:43 AM
I'm in :) I'll trim between the challenges as usual :)

BerrySara
September 9th, 2019, 11:59 AM
I'm in as well. I may trim end of this year (took off ~ 2" in July so I should be good to go for a little while) if needed before starting the challenge.

Hiyotoris
September 9th, 2019, 03:41 PM
Im going to give this a go! I say as im filled with hope that i can leave my hair alone 😂 i always give in around the 4/5 month mark though. Hopefully not this time!

Ylva
September 25th, 2019, 05:37 PM
I’m seriously considering joining this one as well. I miss participating in a no-trimming challenge, and I was going to have a trim in early 2020 as well as in the summer, so if only I can time them properly, I’m in, on both.

However, if I end up losing too much hair now (telogen effluvium) I’ll just go for a trim, should I feel like it. I need to say this to myself because I always get too focused on whatever it is I’m trying to achieve and stick to it even if it’s not for the best at that time.

Arciela
September 26th, 2019, 09:20 AM
Yup count me in for sure. I wont trim until I really need to and right now my ends are in great shape.

ladyshep
September 26th, 2019, 10:17 AM
Hopefully I will win at this one. I just got a trim yesterday at the salon. Ugh, I gave in. Anyway, it probably needed it it was so dry. But anyway, I won't have to trim the rest of this year at least. But I am in for 2020!

jane_marie
September 26th, 2019, 10:42 AM
Hello! This sounds like a great idea! I'm going to join in.

I'll probably go to the salon during the end of December then I'll go without cut. :)

I do have a baby bang that I have no plans to grow out so I'll still be visiting the salon 3 or four times so I can keep them where I prefer.

lapushka
September 26th, 2019, 11:30 AM
I'm still glad I divided the yearly one into 2 halves! :) It is much more feasible and well, trimming one to two times a year is not much at all, right?

Ylva
October 18th, 2019, 05:22 PM
I'm still glad I divided the yearly one into 2 halves! :) It is much more feasible and well, trimming one to two times a year is not much at all, right?

It's certainly my sweet spot. Back when I was in more-or-less-benign neglect mode, I would usually have a haircut about every 6 months when I'd "wake up" for a moment and go get highlights or something. My hair always did great like that and I had a thick hemline. I was hanging out between hip and tailbone, mostly. That's precisely the state I want to get back to and that's why I'm trying to settle into this routine again. These challenges will definitely help. I'm very excited about taking part in a no-trimming challenge again! Time goes so fast now anyway since I'm so old. :lol: I might as well rejoice if it feels like it's going slowly for once...

Prior to this challenge, I will be trimming a minimum of 1 cm, but more if it means I'll land at solid BCL. That's where I'm at least hoping to start this challenge.

dianabla
October 18th, 2019, 05:36 PM
Hi!

Im new here so can I ask what S&D means?

But I think Im up for the challenge! My plan with joining this forum was to grow my hair and not cut it till August 2020. Then I will see what my hair looks like before i decide the future for it :D

Ylva
October 18th, 2019, 05:37 PM
Hi!

Im new here so can I ask what S&D means?

But I think Im up for the challenge! My plan with joining this forum was to grow my hair and not cut it till August 2020. Then I will see what my hair looks like before i decide the future for it :D

S&D = search and destroy = looking for individual split ends and cutting them off as opposed to a trim that affects the entire hemline. :)

Joules
October 19th, 2019, 01:25 AM
Hey, ladies! I'm in!

Trimming just twice a year every 6 months seems to be the perfect schedule for me. More often is too much, and less often makes me annoyed at my own hair. I could go for an entire year when my hair was shorter and my hemline was much much thicker, but now it loses shape and becomes a mess quicker :shrug:

I don't plan to grow too much length for now, 1-2 more inches at most just to get to my original goal ("mid butt" aka somewhere around tailbone). So my inner scissor-happy lunatic will be very very pleased :lol:

M-I
October 19th, 2019, 01:34 PM
This seems fun, I'll join! I'm not planning on cutting my hair anymore this year either :)

CoveredByLove
October 19th, 2019, 04:48 PM
Count me in! :D

Growing back out from a chop. I haven't trimmed since May 2019. Not trimming until June 2020 will give me a whole year of no trims! That should put me close to hip. Currently at BSL. (I'm 5ft tall) Happy growing everyone! :joy:

sonic_goose
October 19th, 2019, 04:57 PM
Just got my trim a few days ago and I’m ready to commit to no-trim for 2020. I’m hoping that winter doesn’t decimate my ends too badly...

CrazyPlantLady
October 21st, 2019, 02:33 PM
Joining! I tried the yearly one and although I don't have many splits, my hemline gets suuper wonky. One side grows faster than the other, and always into a V shape :eyeroll:. Twice a year seems manageable.

Jas
October 21st, 2019, 03:00 PM
Well, I reckon I'm joining this. I would like to go a year but I don't think I have it in me at this length - think I'll need to start sacrificing length for hemline at some point soon. If it's not looking too bad I'll review in June and maybe go the full year :D

Laura1986
October 22nd, 2019, 12:25 AM
I'm in!
I got a quite short bob cut recently, very blunt ends. I will not be trimming until this challenge is over :)

MissMarmiladka
November 1st, 2019, 03:04 PM
I'm so in! I NEED (haha dramatic much) to reach APL in 2020 so I will be back with a picture in January. ;)

M-I
November 4th, 2019, 05:47 AM
I want to reach APL too but i don't know if it's possible.. But I've decided to not cut until that length!

Sparkles122
November 4th, 2019, 09:56 AM
November 9th 2018 was when my last cut was. Im not sure if I want to cut at the end of the 2019 challenge or jump right into this one. My ends still seem fine even though on that same day a year ago was when my bleach damage occured. Its mind boggling to me that I dont have splits from it. I think I might just jump right into this one!

Ylva
November 4th, 2019, 10:04 AM
November 9th 2018 was when my last cut was. Im not sure if I want to cut at the end of the 2019 challenge or jump right into this one. My ends still seem fine even though on that same day a year ago was when my bleach damage occured. Its mind boggling to me that I dont have splits from it. I think I might just jump right into this one!

It's tempting for me as well to skip trimming at the end of the year should my ends feel fine then, but I know I will regret it later on in the spring. I figured that since there is damage there which I want to get rid of, it doesn't really matter when I do it, so I might as well spread it out somewhat evenly. I know I mustn't get greedy with my hair, it never ends well, especially with chemical damage. :D

I kinda can't wait for this challenge to start, though. Not least because it'll mean I'll be done with my fall term and starting fresh in many ways.

paulownia
November 4th, 2019, 12:16 PM
Definitely joining the challenge! :D it's about time I get to APL. Defying my scissor- happines once more.
I cut last time a month ago. Trimmed actually. Now I will probably do a small dusting in the end of December and then.... growing.

Laurenhope29
November 4th, 2019, 02:42 PM
I'm in! :joy: I'm hoping to be pretty close to waist length by the time this challenge is over :)

lapushka
November 4th, 2019, 03:22 PM
Welcome everybody! :D

SleepyTangles
November 5th, 2019, 05:52 AM
Good luck to everyone on this thread! I'd like to join but, I'm pretty sure my bleached parts will require some attention before July. I'll see how my hair is doing in December and then I'll decide :flower:

Ylva
November 5th, 2019, 05:55 AM
Good luck to everyone on this thread! I'd like to join but, I'm pretty sure my bleached parts will require some attention before July. I'll see how my hair is doing in December and then I'll decide :flower:

You could have a small trim around New Year to refresh your ends and join us. I'm also going into this with bleached ends + thinning because of shedding. :) The more the merrier, besides, half a year goes really fast!

SleepyTangles
November 5th, 2019, 10:49 AM
You could have a small trim around New Year to refresh your ends and join us. I'm also going into this with bleached ends + thinning because of shedding. :) The more the merrier, besides, half a year goes really fast!

Oh well, no harm in trying right? ;)

doedeer
November 5th, 2019, 11:31 AM
I'm in! If I don't trim I'm guessing i'll be at TBL by the end of the challenge, which sounds amazing!

Positivitea
November 7th, 2019, 03:37 PM
Good luck to everyone. :) I recently had a trim of about 2-3 inches and my hair is looking healthy again. So I should be able to reach at least July without a trim. Currently around BSL and hope to be well on my way to WL by then.

Sparkles122
November 7th, 2019, 04:15 PM
So I thought about it, and im just jumping right in, no trim in between. Should be around 32-33 inches after the first half of 2020 which is right around hip on me

polarnatt
November 8th, 2019, 03:40 AM
I'm in! I cut my hair from BSL to nearly-APL this year in order to get the last inches of dyed hair off. Now to reach those lengths again with virgin hair! I'm also in the process of growing out some bangs, but I think I'll trim them before January to blend them in and then leave them be as well.

lapushka
November 8th, 2019, 03:13 PM
Welcome to all & to all good luck. :D

MissMuse
November 9th, 2019, 03:14 PM
Hi all, I'm in for this challenge. I'll trim around Xmas time then nothing. I'm hoping for BSL by the end of this challenge.

Mlarmour
November 10th, 2019, 01:39 PM
I think I will join the challenge this time, I’ve seen it before but always talk myself out of it. I’m currently just hovering above BSL, I think at the end of the challenge I’d be half way to waist. According to my hair growth chart it will take a year to reach waist but that’s accounting for trims.

Ylva
November 11th, 2019, 07:35 AM
My schedule is starting to take shape. Since I won't be back from Norway until the 6th of January, I will have my trim on the 25th of December AT LATEST. I don't yet know when exactly I'll trim in the summer, but it's possible that I'll technically fail the challenge if I have to trim a few days early, but up until I do, I guess I'm free to hang out in this thread. ;) Of course, it might be that I can trim at a totally acceptable day as well.

Less than two months until we begin; feels strange but also nice to fall back into my former trimming schedule.

Beckstar
November 14th, 2019, 08:01 PM
Count me in. I'm maintaining my side shaves/bangs but letting the top and back grow.

dianabla
November 15th, 2019, 12:24 PM
S&D = search and destroy = looking for individual split ends and cutting them off as opposed to a trim that affects the entire hemline. :)

Okay! That’s what I did while in university when I couldn’t afford to get my hair cut at a hairdresser.
So excited to see how much my and everyone’s hair grows before summer!

Krissycats
November 15th, 2019, 10:16 PM
I'm in! I may or may not trim at the end of this year. My hair is really growing and is longer than it has ever been. I am excited to see how long it will be in June.

BethiBerries
November 16th, 2019, 02:51 PM
Im in. I do have bangs though so I will be maintaining those. I hope everyone will be exited with the results in June

lapushka
November 19th, 2019, 02:47 AM
Im in. I do have bangs though so I will be maintaining those. I hope everyone will be exited with the results in June

That's perfectly allowed!

I can't wait to hear about it all in June!

Beymine
November 29th, 2019, 06:20 AM
Hello, everyone!

This will be my first challenge on this forum, so I'm very excited! I plan on trimming this week to get rid of some splits in my shorter layers then leaving it alone until this challenge is over. I would join for the whole year, but I want to gradually even up my hair though I am thinking of joining the second part as well.

Good luck to everyone and happy growing!

lapushka
November 29th, 2019, 08:49 AM
Hello, everyone!

This will be my first challenge on this forum, so I'm very excited! I plan on trimming this week to get rid of some splits in my shorter layers then leaving it alone until this challenge is over. I would join for the whole year, but I want to gradually even up my hair though I am thinking of joining the second part as well.

Good luck to everyone and happy growing!

Welcome & happy growing!

Proverbs31
November 29th, 2019, 03:45 PM
I'm so in! Haircuts scare me so much haha so this should hopefully be pretty easy for me.

cestlavie
November 29th, 2019, 04:25 PM
Joining this one! I'm going to trim on January 1st and then leaving it alone for the next 6 months.

MissMuse
November 30th, 2019, 09:08 PM
I'm all set, had a micro trim yesterday and hope I can hang in there now until June. Hoping to see some amazing growth in 6 months 😊

Beymine
December 1st, 2019, 10:19 AM
Welcome & happy growing!

Thank you!

Growingit
December 3rd, 2019, 08:38 PM
Joining! Had the big chop to chin length due to massive hair loss. It’s growing back and I’m ready to grow out again.

deeisme
December 3rd, 2019, 11:14 PM
I'm in! I haven't trimmed since December 2018. Not sure if I'll do a baby trim before this challenge starts just to clean up my ends and even up my hemline as one side grows faster. My hair has grown painfully slow this year. Only four inches with maybe a dozen hairs growing four and a half. Gah! So frustrating!

Mesmeriza
December 4th, 2019, 07:36 AM
Hello! I'm in too. Last trim was last week. I'm trying to attain APL in February 2020 and hopefully more till the end of this challenge!

Simpscone
December 5th, 2019, 05:29 AM
I got my trim last night, ready for the first half of the 2020 challenge!

My hairdresser said my hair is in the best shape she's ever seen it, and I didn't have many split ends, but my ends do tend to thin out instead and that's not the look I'm going for so I always ask her to take off enough to give me a nice, thick even hemline.

It's set me back 3 inches to my August length, but hopefully I can grow that and more back in this challenge!

Laura1986
December 5th, 2019, 05:33 AM
I might join you.
I had my last trim in september this year (a short bob). So I have very fresh ends and a good hemline to grow straight down for a year or so. Then I think I'll need to trim at least the front strands, and might have even achieved my second hair -goal (APL). My first goal is shoulder length. At least, if I lose the headaches / they do not get worse

shelomit
December 5th, 2019, 10:22 AM
I expect I'll be joining in : )

Ylva
December 22nd, 2019, 04:34 PM
I just had my trim today (well, yesterday, the 22nd), fittingly on the winter solstice, so I'm all set! No more trimming before the summer. I lost about 0.5 cm. I also set myself a little mini goal: to be at TBL by the first proper medieval faire of the summer.

TreesOfEternity
December 22nd, 2019, 05:44 PM
My trim will happen on new year’s day and I’ll be ready to go!
Ylva you will reach TBL in no time then! Really exciting as that is the next milestone I really look forward reaching

raemarthe
December 22nd, 2019, 05:49 PM
I trimmed an inch and a half the 17th. Due to my fragile curls I think it's probably best if I don't go over 8 months without a trim. My trim prior to this one was 14 months ago and I think more length was lost due to waiting. I'm planning to schedule my next trim for august of 2020. Until then I'll be in this thread. :)

TatsuOni
December 23rd, 2019, 09:12 AM
I'll trim on January the first and then i'm good to go for six months :)

Ylva
December 23rd, 2019, 09:36 AM
My trim will happen on new year’s day and I’ll be ready to go!
Ylva you will reach TBL in no time then! Really exciting as that is the next milestone I really look forward reaching

Me too! Most of all because a couple of months into TBL I'll be venturing into uncharted territory (apart from childhood). However, I'll already be happy when I get to BCL because that marks my exiting through the gates of limbo length land. Is your hair at its longest now or has it been longer in the past?

I'll really need to stay on top of the S&D, though. I was super lazy with it this year but it will be more essential now when going a longer period without trimming chemically damaged hair.

Sarahlabyrinth
December 23rd, 2019, 09:51 AM
I'm debating whether to join this challenge or not. I might decide at the end of December.

SleepyTangles
December 23rd, 2019, 12:28 PM
I've made my mind, I'm in. My wonky hemline will probably drive me crazy but right now Is too short to make it even.

ETA current lenght shot.
Not super accurate, there's a lot of floof but what can I do, right? ;)
https://forums.longhaircommunity.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=39615&d=1578069386

jane_marie
December 26th, 2019, 06:42 AM
I' pretty sure I'll be trimming at least an inch off on the 31st in preparation for this. I'm really excited to see where my hair will grow to in 6 months!

snolol
December 26th, 2019, 01:15 PM
This will be my first no-trim challenge ever! Have always been convinced that I had to have constant trims with my fine hair to keep it "healthy!"
Only recently learned that my ends probably get scraggly from improper washing! In 2020 I will be trying out cone free shampoo and conditioner and introduce clarifying into my routine!
Excited to see how this goes!!

browntatis
December 26th, 2019, 09:09 PM
I'm in! My last trim was in August, not sure if I will trim just before the challenge starts or not, but I'm definitely ready for the challenge, currently between shoulder and APL.
My goal is to reach APL by the end of July.

MissMuse
December 26th, 2019, 10:43 PM
I'm so ready to get started. My trim was 30 Nov so hopefully I can hang in there til the end. I will have BSL by the end

deeisme
December 28th, 2019, 11:37 PM
Well I'm definately growing at tortoise speed this year. Last year I had 5.5" growth and trimmed much of it away getting rid of damage. This year I've had only 3.5" growth (miscalculated earlier and thought I had 4"). I'll trim an inch to even things out before this challenge begins as one side grows faster than the other and start 2020 at 29.5". Not terrific but my hair is relatively healthy so I'll likely do the whole year before I trim again. Maybe I'll see waist by this time next year.

I'll try some scalp massage and eat a little better and see if anything helps my slow hair growth. Guess I'll see what 2020 brings. Trying to be patient. Onward and downward!

ladycaladium
December 29th, 2019, 02:12 AM
I've got a trim scheduled tomorrow (the 30th) and then I'm in.

tulirepo
December 29th, 2019, 02:21 AM
i'm most definitely in! i was lurking in LHC about a year ago when i got the idea to not cut and now i've been 10 months without trimming! (i did one dusting which is more than S&D but less than a trim at 8 month mark, didn't lose any lenght.) my hair grows pretty fast so i might get to middle back lenght by the end of this challenge!

Sarahlabyrinth
December 29th, 2019, 07:26 AM
I'm debating whether to join this challenge or not. I might decide at the end of December.

Well my growth seems to have stalled so I guess I'm in here for another six months to see what will happen. I hope I'm not at terminal length already.

SwanFeathers
December 30th, 2019, 09:48 PM
I'm in! Completing the last half of the 2019 challenge did wonders for my sanity :)

Sarahlabyrinth
December 31st, 2019, 04:30 AM
Well, I just trimmed a half inch (not noticeable as it was only about three hairs) and now am ready for another six months of no trims!

Aerya
December 31st, 2019, 05:09 AM
Wait, is trimming before the 1st or before the 5th?

Hasse
December 31st, 2019, 05:44 AM
Wait, is trimming before the 1st or before the 5th?
For those who participate in the 2019 second half challenge, it's between the 1st and 5th. For those who didn't follow any previous no trim challenge it's before the 5th, I believe.

Joules
December 31st, 2019, 06:14 AM
I can't wait for the challenge to begin! I want my long hair back so badly! I should be at hip by the end of it and the excitement is real :cheer:

Aerya
December 31st, 2019, 07:05 AM
For those who participate in the 2019 second half challenge, it's between the 1st and 5th. For those who didn't follow any previous no trim challenge it's before the 5th, I believe.

Ok, thank you. I've already recruited my boyfriend to help me, lol.

Ylva
December 31st, 2019, 08:08 AM
I can't wait for the challenge to begin! I want my long hair back so badly! I should be at hip by the end of it and the excitement is real :cheer:

Wohoo, Joules! :cheer: I’m super excited as well. After this challenge, I should finally be back where I was before my two big chops, and ready to grow onward into uncharted territory.

katsumii
December 31st, 2019, 09:51 AM
Definitely signing up for this.

GrowinIt
December 31st, 2019, 10:28 AM
I got a fresh year end trim today, I went in wanting about 1 cm but I think she may have taken off an inch, she visually showed it to me and I approved it, but that is ok, starting point 25.5, going to measure monthly and aim for 6 months with no trims!

ReadingRenee
December 31st, 2019, 10:58 AM
I am definitely in for this challenge. I am at the stage in my hair growth where my hair thins out no matter what and I keep trimming it and so experience no growth. I'm ready to see what happens when I leave it alone. I have noticed when I am growing my hair out from short that it does the same thing but eventually catches up.

tulirepo
December 31st, 2019, 02:50 PM
It's 10 minutes untill midnight here and I just finished my last micro-trim of this decade! Ready for 2020!!

Jools69
December 31st, 2019, 03:13 PM
Hi, I’m new and I’m going to try this challenge. I haven’t had a trim in 5 months, but I don’t seem to have too many split ends. Not sure have I’ll have a chance to get a trim in before 5th January, but I could to a ‘S & D’ on the weekend. :)

MissMuse
January 1st, 2020, 01:21 AM
Happy new year all. Hope those that had a trim are happy with the results, my trim was in December so I'm itching to get this challenge started :) I measured today and my starting length is 25.5 inches.

cestlavie
January 1st, 2020, 05:29 AM
Happy new year everyone! I had a 0,5 cm trim on the 10th of December. I hope my hair will survive the next 6 months. My hair is BSL now.

Stray_mind
January 1st, 2020, 05:57 AM
I am not trimming my hair this half of the year. I will attempt to go full year with no trims. I will post my starting photo later after i wash my hair.

lapushka
January 1st, 2020, 09:43 AM
Happy growing to all of you. I will be maintaining classic length, so I'm out of subsequent challenges. I found my "comfy" spot. :D

paulownia
January 1st, 2020, 10:39 AM
Ready for the challenge:D I need it desperately. I was cutting my hair way too often in 2019. It makes me extremely disappointed in myself. I was reviewing my pictures from a year ago and it's extacly the same length. I didn't gain a single inch because of all this unnecessary trimming. Sigh...
I'm pretty decided to not make this mistake again. I just need to leave my hair alone or I'll never reach APL.

Ylva
January 1st, 2020, 10:40 AM
My length shot from 31 Dec shall serve as my starting photo for this year's stuff.

https://forums.longhaircommunity.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=39579&d=1577900185

TatsuOni
January 1st, 2020, 10:59 AM
I've trimmed a little bit and am starting this challenge at 117,5 cm.

https://cdn3.cdnme.se/1263465/9-3/mobiluppladdning_5e0cdcd72a6b2291967f90d0.jpg

Stray_mind
January 1st, 2020, 01:56 PM
Good luck with the challenge everyone! I trimmes at the beginning of July last time. Hoping to go full year with no trims.
Here's my starting pic

https://i.imgur.com/t8DGN08.jpg

jane_marie
January 1st, 2020, 03:03 PM
Here's my before photo for this challenge. :)

https://i.imgur.com/gVt1c1d.png?1

C_Bookworm
January 1st, 2020, 03:05 PM
I’m glad to join this challenge. I’ve been on the fence about losing length to have a blunt, thick hemline. I figure I’ll do this 6 month challenge and reevaluate in mid-2020. Plus if I do end up trimming, it’ll hopefully be less traumatic since my hair will be longer :p

https://i.imgur.com/da7oUTn.jpg

Sarahlabyrinth
January 1st, 2020, 03:13 PM
Wow, Bookworm, I didn't realise your hair was so looong - and lovely! :)

C_Bookworm
January 1st, 2020, 03:53 PM
Wow, Bookworm, I didn't realise your hair was so looong - and lovely! :)

:flower: Thank you Sarah! It’s still about BSL in my head, so pictures surprise me.

Sarahlabyrinth
January 1st, 2020, 04:05 PM
:flower: Thank you Sarah! It’s still about BSL in my head, so pictures surprise me.

They are the kind of surprises we like!

Krissycats
January 1st, 2020, 04:15 PM
I'm joining this challenge. I don't think I will trim at all in January. I think I might have trimmed last summer, so this challenge will take me a whole year. I'm excited to see how long it will be in June.

lapushka
January 1st, 2020, 04:54 PM
Great picture, Ylva; love the wavy texture! :D
Happy growing!

lapushka
January 1st, 2020, 04:57 PM
Tatsu, that's as long as your skirt!

Stray, I just am amazed to see how your hair gets wurlier and wurlier the longer it gets! :shocked:

jane_marie, waist is a good place to start!

Bookworm, I'm sure your ends will catch up nicely!

jane_marie
January 1st, 2020, 05:10 PM

Oh man I wish. I wanted to hit waist by 2020 but I'm still about 1/2" off. Maybe next month. :shrug:

Ylva
January 1st, 2020, 05:18 PM
Great picture, Ylva; love the wavy texture! :D
Happy growing!

Thank you! :)

---
It'll be fun to grow with you all!

lapushka
January 1st, 2020, 05:40 PM
Oh man I wish. I wanted to hit waist by 2020 but I'm still about 1/2" off. Maybe next month. :shrug:

Half an inch? I'd call it. ;) But it's totally up to you!

jane_marie
January 1st, 2020, 07:04 PM
Half an inch? I'd call it. ;) But it's totally up to you!

I've thought about it but since i have such a high waist I feel like calling it would just make the wait to hit hip so much longer.

C_Bookworm
January 1st, 2020, 07:05 PM
I was telling my momma about the challenge and she’s joining, too! So excited. She hasn’t grown her hair out in at least a decade.

Her start:
https://i.imgur.com/4FMbX4n.jpg

Obsidian
January 1st, 2020, 07:09 PM
I'd like to join but I can't get into the salon until Fri at the soonest.

C_Bookworm
January 1st, 2020, 07:35 PM
Thank you! It’s a goal I’m so excited to work toward.

Laurelann
January 1st, 2020, 09:21 PM
Hi I'm a newbie and I'm joining!

(My hair is collarbone and my current goal is APL.)

Stray_mind
January 1st, 2020, 11:27 PM
Tatsu, that's as long as your skirt!

Stray, I just am amazed to see how your hair gets wurlier and wurlier the longer it gets! :shocked:

I am amazed myself. Interesting to see what will happen when it gets past BSL and longer. :)

paulownia
January 2nd, 2020, 12:41 AM
Ready for the challenge :). Let's see where I can get to by the end of June;)
https://i.postimg.cc/kXVdK7KW/20200102-082524.jpg (https://postimages.org/)

Simpscone
January 2nd, 2020, 03:18 AM
Hi All! I've been MIA on here over the festive break, but I trimmed at the beginning of December and I'm ready to smash this challenge!

This is my starting picture from a few days ago (small because I uploaded from my phone, sigh!):
https://forums.longhaircommunity.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=39569&d=1577819258

I haven't measured since my trim but I will be sure to measure this weekend when I wash. I'm starting at APL+ and I'm hoping to get past BSL during this challenge - stretched at the very least!

pisinoe
January 2nd, 2020, 04:12 PM
I'm in! I want to get to waist for sure now.

silkystrandz
January 2nd, 2020, 04:50 PM
I am officially on board for this challenge !!! In fact I think I will let the bangs grow too!! Lets Grow!!!

illicitlizard
January 2nd, 2020, 04:56 PM
Ooooh yes, I think I'll join the first half thread for this year and see how I go. As silkystrandz says, let's grow!

Also um simpscone, your hair is gorgeous, how do you get it looking so soft and falling so perfectly? I have a friend with similar hair but theirs is always dry on the top layer and it drives them mad!

Melian
January 3rd, 2020, 01:11 AM
I'm in! I would like to do a no trim full 2020 but I won't commit fully as I have a lot of layers to keep an eye on.

Simpscone
January 3rd, 2020, 01:46 AM
Ooooh yes, I think I'll join the first half thread for this year and see how I go. As silkystrandz says, let's grow!

Also um simpscone, your hair is gorgeous, how do you get it looking so soft and falling so perfectly? I have a friend with similar hair but theirs is always dry on the top layer and it drives them mad!

Thank you! I'm growing out previous bleach damage so the ends can definitely get a lot drier than the top half - I feel your friend's pain!

I'm not sure if there is one specific thing helping my hair's health, but I can let you know my current routine if that helps!

I wash either once or twice a week, cowashing on one of those occasions if my hair doesn't feel too dirty. I also deep condition once a week normally with Garnier Papaya Hair Food Mask because it is my favourite :inlove:

Then to style, generally I add some Cantu Curl Cream and then a gel, which I then scrunch out with Argon Oil once my hair is dry. But I also just got the As I Am Leave-In Conditioner for Christmas and it's been leaving my hair amazingly soft!

To help encourage uniformity in my wurls I finger twirl random bits when it is soaking wet - this just helps the wurls to form in fatter, more even and ringlet-y chunks!

I'm not sure what your friend is currently doing with their hair, but my first thought is always to get some oils on there!

TreesOfEternity
January 3rd, 2020, 05:11 AM
Finally made my trim and I’m ready for the challenge! :cheer: I’m not sure if I’ll be trimming mid-year but being conservative I’m joining here instead of the full year challenge, just in case.

I’ll be past BCL by my 2nd hairversary on March. The picture is cropped at TBL and I’m 9 inches from CL.

https://i.imgur.com/Fk4whQZl.jpg

lapushka
January 3rd, 2020, 08:49 AM
I've thought about it but since i have such a high waist I feel like calling it would just make the wait to hit hip so much longer.

Hmm, yeah, there's that. :)

lapushka
January 3rd, 2020, 08:50 AM
Finally made my trim and I’m ready for the challenge! :cheer: I’m not sure if I’ll be trimming mid-year but being conservative I’m joining here instead of the full year challenge, just in case.

I’ll be past BCL by my 2nd hairversary on March. The picture is cropped at TBL and I’m 9 inches from CL.

Looks great! :D

Zesty
January 3rd, 2020, 09:09 AM
Oh Trees your hair is so beautiful. :crush: You look like you're at such a great starting point for this challenge. Is that your natural color by the way? Just curious. :o

I've been debating on and off joining this challenge but I'm not really anxious about hitting a goal so it feels a little silly. In an ideal world I'd like to stretch my trims until August (for money/convenience reasons) but I'm not sure that's realistic. :shrug:

TreesOfEternity
January 3rd, 2020, 09:40 AM
Looks great! :D

Thank you lapushka :o !

Oh Trees your hair is so beautiful. :crush: You look like you're at such a great starting point for this challenge. Is that your natural color by the way? Just curious. :o

I've been debating on and off joining this challenge but I'm not really anxious about hitting a goal so it feels a little silly. In an ideal world I'd like to stretch my trims until August (for money/convenience reasons) but I'm not sure that's realistic. :shrug:

Thank you! :flower: my natural color is a really deep brown, here I’ve used indigo twice so it has darkened a bit.

Well the challenges for me are an excuse to take better care of my hair as well, knowing I won’t be trimming for some time, so not only for gaining length but quality as well :)

Stray_mind
January 3rd, 2020, 09:55 AM

Your hair looks gorgeous! Happy growing. :)

Zesty
January 3rd, 2020, 10:02 AM
Thank you lapushka :o !

Thank you! :flower: my natural color is a really deep brown, here I’ve used indigo twice so it has darkened a bit.

Well the challenges for me are an excuse to take better care of my hair as well, knowing I won’t be trimming for some time, so not only for gaining length but quality as well :)

Well it's beautiful. :) And you have a good point! I'll have to ponder.

TatsuOni
January 3rd, 2020, 11:57 AM
Your hair's gotten so long Trees! And it's beautiul! :)

C_Bookworm
January 3rd, 2020, 12:23 PM
Your hair looks amazing, Trees! So shiny and healthy :crush:

shelomit
January 3rd, 2020, 12:24 PM
I think I did a trim in late October or so, so I'm probably taking part in this challenge by default ( ;

TreesOfEternity
January 4th, 2020, 09:41 AM
Your hair looks gorgeous! Happy growing. :)

You are too sweet Stray thank you! :o happy growing to you too

Well it's beautiful. :) And you have a good point! I'll have to ponder.

Yayyy join the dark side! muahaha :p

Your hair's gotten so long Trees! And it's beautiul! :)

Thanks a lot Tatsu :grouphug: you already know how much of an inspiration your hair is to me!

Your hair looks amazing, Trees! So shiny and healthy :crush:

Thank you! :o yours too, indigo heads unite!

I think I did a trim in late October or so, so I'm probably taking part in this challenge by default ( ;

Happy growing then!! :flower: the more the merrier!

Vacurlylady
January 4th, 2020, 09:53 AM
I think I’m joining in on the half year challenges as well as the year long one. I haven’t had a trim in 2 years and right now I don’t feel the need for one. I know I definitely will make it til June for sure! Then I will reevaluate. 😃

Good luck everyone and happy growing!

GrowinIt
January 4th, 2020, 10:15 AM
That is awesome Vacurlylady! Happy growing everyone!

Ylva
January 4th, 2020, 05:14 PM
Welcome everyone! :)

I came up with a trimming rule for myself for when this challenge ends. For every month I've spent at TBL prior to the end of this challenge, I will trim 0.5 cm, but a minimum of 0.5 cm as in one month's worth either way. I should reach TBL in April-May, but my length checks are very irregular and inaccurate so you kind of never know. :D

TheMandaRose
January 4th, 2020, 08:45 PM
I think I’m gonna jump on board with this challenge. Last year I only trimmed maybe 3 times, the most recent trim was at the beginning of December, so I don’t see why I can’t stretch it out to at least 6 months. I’m not real sure what to call my length, I’m almost to the bottom of my shoulder blades so I don’t know if that’s considered BSL or not. What do y’all think? And my growth is really erratic, some months it doesn’t seem to grow at all, some months it seems like it grows overnight. Maybe it depends on how closely I watch it? Either way, I’m excited to be here and I can’t wait to see how much growth I can get in 6 months.

deeisme
January 4th, 2020, 10:55 PM
https://forums.longhaircommunity.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=39680&d=1578203132

My beginning photo. Fingers crossed that I see some reasonable growth in six months.

Jaeie
January 4th, 2020, 11:35 PM
I'm definitely in! I got to my longest lengths (hip) by not trimming at all. Now, I definitely didn't maintain my hair well at the time, so I know a trim will likely be necessary by the end of the 6 months... but I'm excited to see how much length I can achieve. :)

Ju
January 5th, 2020, 03:12 AM
I just realised I trimmed on the first! I might as well save the next trim for half a year from now, pretty happy with how my microtrims helped bush out my hair a bit over the last year. But boy its time to gun for length now! Last year no trim was a total fail. This year, I'm on board, let's do this.

Agava
January 5th, 2020, 01:20 PM
https://forums.longhaircommunity.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=39448&d=1577085377
https://forums.longhaircommunity.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=39729&d=1578255082

These are my starting photos: back view (23/12/2019) and bangs right now, for which I hope will reach collar bone length at the end of June.

I wish you all enjoyable and smooth growing!

Vacurlylady
January 5th, 2020, 01:55 PM
I’m loving these photos! Good luck to all! This is such an awesome place to grow! Stay in touch!

HairWitch
January 5th, 2020, 03:12 PM
I'm in! In between shoulder and BSL now.

Ylva
January 5th, 2020, 06:08 PM
Now it begins for real, then! :patrol: Have fun and happy growing everyone!

TatsuOni
January 6th, 2020, 03:36 AM
Good luck everyone! :cheer:

Stray_mind
January 6th, 2020, 08:15 AM
Well, i already missed the trimming deadline, so i guess i will have to grin and bear without trims until summer.
I am already solid BSL if i stretch my waves, but i will probably call at the end of the month when i get there unstretched. I need a couple more weeks.
It feels so nice to know that i almost reached the next milestone.

It still feels like shoulder length though. Could it be the LHC syndrome?? :lol:

paulownia
January 6th, 2020, 10:05 AM
Well, i already missed the trimming deadline, so i guess i will have to grin and bear without trims until summer.
I am already solid BSL if i stretch my waves, but i will probably call at the end of the month when i get there unstretched. I need a couple more weeks.

It still feels like shoulder length though. Could it be the LHC syndrome?? :lol:
It must be!;) judging from your last pictures you are a good year ahead of me. I'm stuck at shoulder for like eternity it feels:p
It's the shrinkage that kills me. I have serious doubts if I'll get to APL within this year :pins:

lapushka
January 6th, 2020, 02:19 PM

Oh yep, you've been infected. :lol: ;)

I have to say, last I saw, your hemline looked fantastic, so why not just go on and see how far you can get? Maybe have a trim at the end of June, beginning of July? I would do that!!! Totally stretch that challenge! :cheer:

GrowinIt
January 6th, 2020, 02:43 PM
I was doing some s&d today.. i think i trimmed about 30 splits, is that too many? I should probably stop.. and maybe just not s&d anymore, unless it is a really bad split or knot.

lapushka
January 6th, 2020, 05:31 PM
I was doing some s&d today.. i think i trimmed about 30 splits, is that too many? I should probably stop.. and maybe just not s&d anymore, unless it is a really bad split or knot.

I once did (well mom) about half my hemline and it was so thinned out we had to cut back from hip to BSL, because the white dots were so far up.

GrowinIt
January 7th, 2020, 01:32 PM
I'll try to be careful then, I did do another 30 or so (cuz well the first time was the left side, had to even it out =P). I don't even know why I was looking for splits, since I had just had a fresh trim Dec 31st, but I guess I was just randomly picking up sections and looking, and when you see one, it is hard to stop looking. Since it can be kind of addicting, I will make an effort to stop looking for splits, starting now!

browntatis
January 7th, 2020, 06:17 PM
I'm in for the challenge, I haven't trimmed (actually big chop) since August.
I have faith I can accomplish the challenge, I'm still trying to even up my hemline, but it will have to wait until the end of the challenge.

Here is my pic from today, hair air-dried under natural sun light. Also can I get an opinion, it's my hair 1b or 1c? Hopefully I can be be passed APL at the end.
https://forums.longhaircommunity.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=39799&d=1578444035

Agava
January 8th, 2020, 07:13 AM
Browntatis, I think your hair belongs to 1b type.
( Mine is 1c, they told me, and it is wavier then yours)

Hasse
January 8th, 2020, 08:10 AM
I've decided to start oiling my ends each night to keep them behaving until the end of this challenge. Usually they start feeling like velcro after about three months and I've had a trim in november last year. I don't want to trim so soon again, haha.

ETA: I'm scheduled for another neurosurgical operation somewhere in the next 2-5 months (last time it was my turn after the 5 months had passed), so I might try to hold out until well after then. I'm better prepared now to baby my hair through several days of bedrest than I was say.. Three years ago, when the surgeries started to happen on a kinda regular basis. So fingers crossed for my hair! (And for my brain, but I've kinda given up on that, haha. That'll be an ongoing issue for the rest of my life.)

wishy
January 8th, 2020, 01:51 PM
I'm in! I am almost to APL and I ultimately want to be BSL and then maintain to thicken up my ends since my hair is quite fine and thin. I used to trim every few months, but that was before I learned how to take better care of my ends. It's been 3 months since my last trim and I don't have any of the dry, velcro-y ends complaints that I usually do. So maybe I can make it til this summer! :D

GrowinIt
January 8th, 2020, 03:33 PM
I like the idea of oiling the ends, though I'm not sure if I want to add oil to my hair because I'm concerned it might make me feel like I have to wash my hair more often, but maybe if I just do it one time per shampoo that would help. Maybe when it gets a bit longer, like around waist length. My hair doesn't get velcro ends, mostly because I keep getting it trimmed, but I will have to see how it looks after 6 months trimless =).

Elodea
January 8th, 2020, 04:31 PM
I'm in for this challenge. I expect it to be pretty uneventful for me and easy to stick with the challenge since I stopped trimming in spring of last year, and it turns out that my hair grows rather evenly and I don't have a ton of split ends or any damage or layers to grow out. I could most likely make it the entire year without trims, but doing it in two halves of the year seems like a more tangible goal, plus gives me the option to reevaluate and trim mid-year even though I probably won't.

Starting photo:
https://forums.longhaircommunity.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=39602&d=1577998547

polarnatt
January 9th, 2020, 10:15 AM
Elodea, you have such lovely hair!

I'm so excited for this challenge, really - I did a micro trim in November, where the hairdresser also thinned my growing bangs a little bit so they don't look so bulky. Now I straightened my hair for the first time in ages and realized I'm actually not that far away from BSL, maybe 5-7 cm. And I thought I had barely reached APL! And my bangs are finally in the stage where I can almost put them behind my ears. So, I feel like I have a great starting point for this no-trim challenge!

browntatis
January 9th, 2020, 12:05 PM
Browntatis, I think your hair belongs to 1b type.
( Mine is 1c, they told me, and it is wavier then yours)

Thank you so much!
I was not sure, I think I will stick to 1b thanks

Hasse
January 10th, 2020, 09:46 AM
I like the idea of oiling the ends, though I'm not sure if I want to add oil to my hair because I'm concerned it might make me feel like I have to wash my hair more often, but maybe if I just do it one time per shampoo that would help. Maybe when it gets a bit longer, like around waist length. My hair doesn't get velcro ends, mostly because I keep getting it trimmed, but I will have to see how it looks after 6 months trimless =).
I only use 2-3 drops of oil and that is enough to keep my ends feeling soft without overoiling them. I'd say, try experimenting a bit and don't go too faat when adding oil :). I'm currently at APL btw.

poojasilk
January 11th, 2020, 02:46 PM
Hi! I'm new here, and trying to grow my hair from SL back to BSL. Haven't cut it since my big chop to CL last September. And hopefully grow it even longer this this time!

Hasse
January 12th, 2020, 08:01 AM
https://i.postimg.cc/Bn8Jvk5d/Screenshot-20200108-123057-1.png (https://postimg.cc/BjGrYhVg)
My starting point. Hair is sorta at APL, but it varies because of shrinkage. My hands are at waist and the pic is cut off at about classic length.

zashin66
January 12th, 2020, 12:40 PM
Happy growing everyone

Ylva
January 16th, 2020, 04:10 PM
I just did some S&D and found a few broken, flappy Ls and some splits and other uglies. Well, now they're gone!

Sarahlabyrinth
January 16th, 2020, 04:21 PM
I found an L shaped end while out in the car today and of course lost it before I arrived home. Oh well... :p

Star_fish
January 16th, 2020, 11:04 PM
Hi everyone, please can I join? Most of my hair is APL but I have some horrible shorter layers at the back from previous bleach damage (I no longer bleach or heat style) that I desperately want to grow out. I’m looking forward to lots of growing together in the next 6 months!

Ylva
January 17th, 2020, 03:22 PM
Hi everyone, please can I join? Most of my hair is APL but I have some horrible shorter layers at the back from previous bleach damage (I no longer bleach or heat style) that I desperately want to grow out. I’m looking forward to lots of growing together in the next 6 months!

Yay, welcome! :)

jane_marie
January 17th, 2020, 03:35 PM
I've cut out two single strand knots this week. I've never noticed getting them before. How does that even happen?

lapushka
January 17th, 2020, 04:41 PM

That's awesome! Welcome! :D

Star_fish
January 18th, 2020, 01:29 AM
Thanks Ylva & Lapushka.

Here’s my starting photo:
https://forums.longhaircommunity.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=39878&d=1579336022

Agava
January 18th, 2020, 02:38 AM
I will have to leave you already, guys. I've trimmed ~3cm of my longest layer on the back.
Good luck with your goals and see you on some other threads!

Stray_mind
January 18th, 2020, 02:41 AM
This month is somehow going by really slow for me. I hope at the end of it i reach BSL though. I am *so* close and it seems like it's been Ages since i hit APL. I am already impatient to move to the next milestone.

MissMarmiladka
January 19th, 2020, 06:10 AM
Ohh guys, I'm 20 days into this challenge and I already start to get impatient to get my ends chopped off.
I just HATE the layers and it feels as if they are the reason why start to get split ends and why my hair looks so frizzy.
I've trimmed my hair for the last time mid November and until new years I would micro trim here and there to get rid of the layers.
I don't if its because my period is coming up and everything about me start to annoy me but especially today I'm absolutely READY to pick up my scissors and give myself a blunt hair cut.

Any way I have 2 optional goals for this year and that is OR to grow out all my layers and chop them off OR reach APL.
I hope that a miracle happens and I reach both haha but that seems almost unrealistic since I have CBL at the moment and my shortest layer is 1cm below my ear.

MissMarmiladka
January 19th, 2020, 06:12 AM
Welcome everyone! :)

I came up with a trimming rule for myself for when this challenge ends. For every month I've spent at TBL prior to the end of this challenge, I will trim 0.5 cm, but a minimum of 0.5 cm as in one month's worth either way. I should reach TBL in April-May, but my length checks are very irregular and inaccurate so you kind of never know. :D

I love this idea! I'm going to think about something like this as well so I have something to look forward to in June haha

Ylva
January 19th, 2020, 07:38 AM
I love this idea! I'm going to think about something like this as well so I have something to look forward to in June haha

I was going to suggest something like that to you after reading your above post! :) Just imagine how nice it will feel to get to cut off a bigger chunk of your layers by the end of this, instead of many small trims where you barely see or feel any difference.

jane_marie
January 19th, 2020, 09:33 AM
i'm sorry guys but the winter air is doing horrible things to my hair. It's been -2 to -5 F in the mornings and the air is so dry. Due to the house remodel we have been sleeping in the basement which gets a draft from the backdoor and is not heated. Heated blankets keep us warm and a humdifier runs 24-7 in an attempt to keep the air moist but the blanket does nothing for my hair and the humidifier runs out of water in the middle of the night. Plus my hair refuses to be bunned still so there is no way to protect it.

I have been trying to keep up with S&D but almost every strand is split, L or white dot. So, I'm afraid I must cut. :shrug:

Maybe I'll have more luck in the second half challenge.

ETA: I just did a 4 hour deep conditioning session and my hair is feeling much better. I'll S&D when it's dry. Maybe I can get through the challenge after all. :)

C_Bookworm
January 20th, 2020, 11:11 AM
I jokingly suggested to my mom that I would henna only (I usually henndigo) my roots so I could visually see how much growth I get during this challenge. She looooved the idea. So I’m going to try it, at least. I’m not sure how bonkers the roots will drive me over 6 months. But I have henna on my roots right now and I’ll see how it goes. :eye:

SleepyTangles
January 20th, 2020, 12:57 PM
I jokingly suggested to my mom that I would henna only (I usually henndigo) my roots so I could visually see how much growth I get during this challenge. She looooved the idea. So I’m going to try it, at least. I’m not sure how bonkers the roots will drive me over 6 months. But I have henna on my roots right now and I’ll see how it goes. :eye:

That's interesting! I could let my bangs grow to do the same, but frankly overgrown bangs are too much of an hassle ;)

C_Bookworm
January 20th, 2020, 01:34 PM
That's interesting! I could let my bangs grow to do the same, but frankly overgrown bangs are too much of an hassle ;)

Ehehehehe! Yeah that doesn’t sound fun :rolling:

Simpscone
January 20th, 2020, 02:26 PM
I suppose since I’ve just bleached the front of my hair I could use the roots there as an indicator for how much it grows these 6 months... I don’t think I can handle that though :lol:

Zesty
January 20th, 2020, 02:28 PM
I'm glad the DC helped, jane_marie!

I think I will officially commit to this challenge. It'll only be stretching trims by a month or two since I normally trim every 5-6 months and my last one was at the beginning of December. :)

lapushka
January 20th, 2020, 02:57 PM
I will have to leave you already, guys. I've trimmed ~3cm of my longest layer on the back.
Good luck with your goals and see you on some other threads!

I always say, you do what you gotta do! I think your avatar picture looks really pretty! :D

shelomit
January 20th, 2020, 08:40 PM
I've cut out two single strand knots this week. I've never noticed getting them before. How does that even happen?

I also had a couple of fairy knots I had to cut out last week ) : Especially baffling given that my hair seems overall to be doing better than it has in years, and I've never had problems with fairy knots before!

Agava
January 21st, 2020, 01:53 PM
I always say, you do what you gotta do! I think your avatar picture looks really pretty! :D

Thanks!
It's not that I had to but something started to bother me about how it looked past days so I trimmed and now I'm exactly on APL. I might try to join a second half 2020 challenge, but I don't feel like being in a hurry, I really like this length, too.

Ylva
January 23rd, 2020, 12:07 AM
The first month is almost done already. That went fast!

pisinoe
January 23rd, 2020, 12:17 AM

Waaay too fast! I better catch up...

Aerya
January 23rd, 2020, 12:28 AM

Really? I feel like we're on the 75th of January now! :D

SleepyTangles
January 24th, 2020, 10:47 AM
My ends are dry, but not as dry as two weeks ago. I've decided every time the though of giving up crosses my mind I'll do a deep conditioning treatment instead.
I'm experimenting with warmed up coconut oil. My virgin hair hates coconut, but the bleached bits seem to like it a lot.

zashin66
January 24th, 2020, 10:58 AM
My ends are dry, but not as dry as two weeks ago. I've decided every time the though of giving up crosses my mind I'll do a deep conditioning treatment instead.
I'm experimenting with warmed up coconut oil. My virgin hair hates coconut, but the bleached bits seem to like it a lot.

My hair hated coconut oil when i tried it too. I tried warming it with hot water before applying it but the ends still ended up feeling "crunchy". That stopped after i stopped using the c. oil. I have been meaning to try olive oil.

SleepyTangles
January 24th, 2020, 12:08 PM
Thank you for the feedback! Yeah, my virgin hair does like that too. It'll be interesting to see how the bleached ends will handle It.
For now, I am positively pleased.

Star_fish
January 24th, 2020, 01:10 PM
Can I ask what people’s thoughts are on blow drying hair? I have just air dried for about the last year but recently I have dried it a couple of times with a hairdryer on medium & I’ve really liked the result. Don’t want to damage my hair more though, especially if I’m not trimming for the first half of the year.

Ylva
January 24th, 2020, 01:13 PM
Can I ask what people’s thoughts are on blow drying hair? I have just air dried for about the last year but recently I have dried it a couple of times with a hairdryer on medium & I’ve really liked the result. Don’t want to damage my hair more though, especially if I’m not trimming for the first half of the year.

Blowdrying is fine as long as you're not using crazy hot air. Regular warm air won't cause any meaningful damage. I just don't do it personally because I'm way too lazy.

zashin66
January 24th, 2020, 03:41 PM
positively pleased.

Love the alliteration!! Did you ever see the movie "mr.poppers penguins"?

Star_fish
January 25th, 2020, 01:15 AM
Blowdrying is fine as long as you're not using crazy hot air. Regular warm air won't cause any meaningful damage. I just don't do it personally because I'm way too lazy.

Thanks Ylva. Don’t think I’ll do it much but it would be nice to do it sometimes without worrying too much. My ends are still damaged from bleach though so I don’t want to make anything worse.

SleepyTangles
January 25th, 2020, 04:39 AM
Love the alliteration!! Did you ever see the movie "mr.poppers penguins"?

No, but I'll look for It!

Ylva
January 25th, 2020, 02:25 PM
I did some S&D again today. Not that many actual splits but a lot of white dot ends that would become splits eventually - or not -, and some white dots that were a bit higher up the strands. My actual end-ends are actually rather fine, but the ends a bit above them are the worst. After all, they haven't been cut in like forever and it's kinda difficult for me to S&D them in a braid.

Ah well, only this year to go and then I'll start some serious maintaining action!

lapushka
January 25th, 2020, 02:30 PM

Yes, what Ylva said. If you hold your hand in the air stream and the air from the blow dryer isn't as hot so as to "burn" your hand, then it's good for the hair also. It's to gauge how "warm" you can go; as cool air, sorry but you'll be at it for hours.

I typically towel dry (30-45min.), then air dry (2-4H), and then all I need to do is blowdry for 5 minutes to get it as good as dry. I use warm air, but I remember that hint of the air not burning!

MissMuse
January 25th, 2020, 03:48 PM
Yay first month almost done. Although it's almost 8 weeks since my microtrim, I'm going strong. Will all be worth it come June when I hit and maybe exceed BSL 😊

zashin66
January 25th, 2020, 09:14 PM
No, but I'll look for It!

With Jim Carrey

Laurelann
January 26th, 2020, 03:24 PM
Hey everybody, we're almost at the end of the first month! woo-hoo! I'm sure my hair has not grown one iota so far, ha! My last haircut was Nov. 2, 2019 and I discovered LHC in December. I took my first 'hair growing journey' photo Jan. 12, 2020. I need to start an imgur (or such) account for posting pics.

Bri-Chan
January 26th, 2020, 06:09 PM
I'm joining. Last cut in September

Simpscone
January 27th, 2020, 04:19 AM
Yes, what Ylva said. If you hold your hand in the air stream and the air from the blow dryer isn't as hot so as to "burn" your hand, then it's good for the hair also. It's to gauge how "warm" you can go; as cool air, sorry but you'll be at it for hours.

I typically towel dry (30-45min.), then air dry (2-4H), and then all I need to do is blowdry for 5 minutes to get it as good as dry. I use warm air, but I remember that hint of the air not burning!

I remember seeing this tip from you early last year, lapushka! It made something click in my head for sure, now I don't worry if I diffuse on a low heat if I'm in a rush.

Yay first month almost done. Although it's almost 8 weeks since my microtrim, I'm going strong. Will all be worth it come June when I hit and maybe exceed BSL ��

I'm hoping to be past BSL mid-year too, we got this!

Hey everybody, we're almost at the end of the first month! woo-hoo! I'm sure my hair has not grown one iota so far, ha! My last haircut was Nov. 2, 2019 and I discovered LHC in December. I took my first 'hair growing journey' photo Jan. 12, 2020. I need to start an imgur (or such) account for posting pics.

Do you measure your hair at all? I started measuring each month last year and even if it's only a little, it really helps me to see the number go up!

Once you reach a certain amount of post too, you will be able to make albums on here for your pictures if you didn't want them public on imgur :)

I'm joining. Last cut in September

Welcome! How is your hair feeling after 5 months so far?

lapushka
January 27th, 2020, 07:21 AM
I remember seeing this tip from you early last year, lapushka! It made something click in my head for sure, now I don't worry if I diffuse on a low heat if I'm in a rush.

That's great, because the whole time (8+H) with wet hair is, for me, not do-able. And I have to say I have never had damage from it, no white dots, nothing, no splits; nope. So it's been tested on fine hair, which I have. Lots of it, but nevertheless the strands each individually are more fragile than for someone with normal hair.

I never put my blow dryer /diffuser on hot; just warm (not burning), and it's great! It's been great for a long time.

Ylva
January 27th, 2020, 08:01 AM
That's great, because the whole time (8+H) with wet hair is, for me, not do-able. And I have to say I have never had damage from it, no white dots, nothing, no splits; nope. So it's been tested on fine hair, which I have. Lots of it, but nevertheless the strands each individually are more fragile than for someone with normal hair.

I must be a freak of some sort but I really enjoy wet/damp hair! There's a special kind of freshness and cleanliness about it. :D And that's good because I am way too lazy to blowdry...

lapushka
January 27th, 2020, 08:29 AM
I must be a freak of some sort but I really enjoy wet/damp hair! There's a special kind of freshness and cleanliness about it. :D And that's good because I am way too lazy to blowdry...

There's a reason I air dry for 2-4H before diffusing. Not only does it make the blow drying shorter (like 5 minutes), it's also great to air dry for a bit. But me doing this 8+H? No way. LOL!

Ylva
January 27th, 2020, 08:50 AM
There's a reason I air dry for 2-4H before diffusing. Not only does it make the blow drying shorter (like 5 minutes), it's also great to air dry for a bit. But me doing this 8+H? No way. LOL!

Mine also takes 8-12 hours to dry - largely because my bleached bits suck up water like a sponge. I still take pleasure in it (while I can)! But at the same time, I am looking forward to having more virgin hair which hardly gets wet. I feel like with my virgin hair apparently being low porosity, it hardly gets wet in the first place so all it has to do is "shake off" the water that's on the surface.

lapushka
January 27th, 2020, 09:02 AM
Mine also takes 8-12 hours to dry - largely because my bleached bits suck up water like a sponge. I still take pleasure in it (while I can)! But at the same time, I am looking forward to having more virgin hair which hardly gets wet. I feel like with my virgin hair apparently being low porosity, it hardly gets wet in the first place so all it has to do is "shake off" the water that's on the surface.

Wish my roots dried that fast. ;)

Bri-Chan
January 27th, 2020, 09:07 AM
My hair also takes time to dry, and I am sure it is for the bleaching, because when I take of the towel (15-20 minutes) my natural regrowth is actually dry

Welcome! How is your hair feeling after 5 months so far?

Omg, never thought it was 5 months already... Anyway, the ends are starting becoming "fairytailish", probably because it is very damaged and sometimes some hair breaks... When my hair is fresh washed and voluminous, the fairy tail is a lot more visible

TatsuOni
January 27th, 2020, 09:14 AM
I haven't had the time to think about my hair this first month. I found the time to wash it once :p But me leaving it alone other than doing the "necessary" thing shoud mean that it's doing fine. It's up and protected most hours of the day and braided at night :)

jane_marie
January 27th, 2020, 10:49 AM
Hello everyone!

I have decided I am going to use a semi soon. I would like to strand test but my hair seems to attract cat hair so sheds from my brush are impossible to separate from masses of long thin cat hair. :(

I am curious if cutting a small piece from a discreet spot to strand test will disqualify me from this challenge.

Thanks so much and sorry for the bother. :)

TreesOfEternity
January 27th, 2020, 10:56 AM
Hello everyone!

I have decided I am going to use a semi soon. I would like to strand test but my hair seems to attract cat hair so sheds from my brush are impossible to separate from masses of long thin cat hair. :(

I am curious if cutting a small piece from a discreet spot to strand test will disqualify me from this challenge.

Thanks so much and sorry for the bother. :)

Why don't you strand test on the strand attached to your head though?

jane_marie
January 27th, 2020, 11:00 AM
Why don't you strand test on the strand attached to your head though?

I'm mostly hesitant to do that because I can't fully investigate how the undertones will look in different lights. There is a pretty big chance it might pull green or a bit too vividly purple. with a cut strand I will be able to see how it moves/shines under the various lighting I am in everyday.

If I have to to stay in this I might do that but I think it will be easier to see the results if I cut a 2-3" piece out. :shrug:

ETA also I'm a bit concerned that the brassiness of the rest of my hair will reflect onto the piece I'm testing if I leave it on my head.

SleepyTangles
January 27th, 2020, 12:24 PM
I'm mostly hesitant to do that because I can't fully investigate how the undertones will look in different lights. There is a pretty big chance it might pull green or a bit too vividly purple. with a cut strand I will be able to see how it moves/shines under the various lighting I am in everyday.

If I have to to stay in this I might do that but I think it will be easier to see the results if I cut a 2-3" piece out. :shrug:

ETA also I'm a bit concerned that the brassiness of the rest of my hair will reflect onto the piece I'm testing if I leave it on my head.

Makes sense to me. Well, it's such an exceptional occurrence, I Guess there's room for debate.

For me its ok, anyhow :)

Star_fish
January 27th, 2020, 12:54 PM

I never put my blow dryer /diffuser on hot; just warm (not burning), and it's great! It's been great for a long time.

Thanks so much for the tip lapushka. I will definitely try out your method. Your hair looks lovely in your pic.

My hair definitely doesn’t take as long to air dry as some of you are saying but I think that’s because it’s shorter at the moment.

shelomit
January 27th, 2020, 02:00 PM
It feels like it takes forever to get my hair wetted down and even longer to dry it, lol. My mother tried to blowdry my hair once when I was a kid and we gave up after two hours. Nothing has ever been "done" to it besides henna, so chemical damage shouldn't be much of a factor as it is in Ylva's case. My hair seems really to be liking the mid-week CO washes I started doing after the bimuelo incident, but I hope I don't wind up having to sustain that in the longterm. I had really been enjoying having to dry my hair only once a week : P

paulownia
January 29th, 2020, 06:50 AM
First month of the challenge gone by. I don't feel any urges to trim, I'm getting comfortable with a bit of bening neglect :D
https://i.postimg.cc/KzX3bKTJ/20200129-133014.jpg (https://postimages.org/)

Jasonlh
January 29th, 2020, 08:28 AM
I think I'll join in for this half. I'm trying to grow it longer and my current 3x a year trim isn't going to let that happen. Sounds like a good time to join the club

SleepyTangles
January 29th, 2020, 10:08 AM
After a month of aftercare, DC treatments and Olaplex at every other wash my ends feel silky again. Delicate, but silky.
I'm getting optimistic!

poojasilk
January 29th, 2020, 10:26 AM
Does anyone else dry their hair with a fan (cold air) or is this just me?. I never use heat on my hair, but I’ve always sat in front of my fan after patting my hair with a towel, and it dries my hair way faster and I feel like it makes my hair shinier.

Positivitea
January 29th, 2020, 01:54 PM
I posted a while ago that I would be joining in this challenge but it's so so tempting for me to do a small trim right now. I've lost a lot of hair over the past year and a small trim just makes my hair look thicker. Gotta stay strong :D

Ylva
January 30th, 2020, 12:26 AM
After a month of aftercare, DC treatments and Olaplex at every other wash my ends feel silky again. Delicate, but silky.
I'm getting optimistic!

Glad to hear your ends are feeling better! That reminds me, I need to use up my Olaplex jug this spring before it expires. I used to do it on days I clarified but I clarify relatively rarely now and the times I do, I mostly forget all about Olaplex. :lol:

I think I'll join in for this half. I'm trying to grow it longer and my current 3x a year trim isn't going to let that happen. Sounds like a good time to join the club

Good call! Three trims a year is quite a bit. If you take off just 2 inches in one go, you've taken off all of your progress for that year. Happy no-trimming!

I posted a while ago that I would be joining in this challenge but it's so so tempting for me to do a small trim right now. I've lost a lot of hair over the past year and a small trim just makes my hair look thicker. Gotta stay strong :D

We're already one month in; the remaining 5 will go really quickly! Hang in there! :)

LittleHealthy
January 30th, 2020, 06:00 AM

A great place to join! I trimmed my hair x3 last year and didn't get such great length gains, but it's different if you're trying to grow out a particular style or some dye. Good luck! There's also a 'No-Trimming' group for the full year, too! If your ends are in good shape you could try for that!

Jasonlh
January 30th, 2020, 06:05 AM
Thanks! So far my ends are in good shape. I think I'm going to look at oils to try to maintain that over a longer time period and go for the full year, but we shall see as the hear progresses

TatsuOni
January 30th, 2020, 09:50 AM
Does anyone else dry their hair with a fan (cold air) or is this just me?. I never use heat on my hair, but I’ve always sat in front of my fan after patting my hair with a towel, and it dries my hair way faster and I feel like it makes my hair shinier.

I used to sit infront of a fan and pull my fingers through my hair, to get it to dry :) Since we moved, I don't have any good place for the fan that I can sit infront of, so I bought a hair dryer with a cool setting for those times, when I don't have the time or don't want to wait six hours for my hair to dry :p

SleepyTangles
January 30th, 2020, 10:05 AM
Glad to hear your ends are feeling better! That reminds me, I need to use up my Olaplex jug this spring before it expires. I used to do it on days I clarified but I clarify relatively rarely now and the times I do, I mostly forget all about Olaplex. :lol:
)

Yay, it means that your ends are in good condition, if you keep forgetting!

Ylva
January 31st, 2020, 10:47 AM
Yay, it means that your ends are in good condition, if you keep forgetting!

Unfortunately, it's not so much that as it is me simply being accustomed to not doing anything special. :D I'm too used to my ends being hot garbage haha.