PDA

View Full Version : Gray/Silver/White hair, growing out color...care help needed

genlilliana
April 24th, 2018, 09:06 AM
So, I am growing out my color...it's been about a year and half or so. I am BSL and the last 10-12" are still the colored section of my hair. Here's where it is getting a little tricky...

1) Gray hair: healthy, slightly oily if unwashed too long and very, very smooth once washed and conditioned (2x month or 1x month - I really don't count anymore but it's not often)

2) Colored hair: dry, dry, dry and tangles easily; when washing I add extra oils and conditioners to the ends and they do help; however, don't last long enough

It's really becoming a pain to deal with two types of hair on one head. Especially trying to keep the ends moisturized without making the root side extra oily.

Any suggestions on how to manage this part of the color grow out transition? I could chop it for the summer to shoulder length but would prefer not to...however, if the group has been down this road before and that's pretty much the best option - just be honest and lay it out there for me. I am not opposed to dropping some of the extra hair weight for the summer, so long as I can still do some fun styling with it. Thanks!

zanelle
April 24th, 2018, 09:24 AM
Hi,
You are wavy so it is normal for wavy hair to have dry ends. I'd spritz the last inches with water& conditioner as a leave in say twice a week. Scrunch it or wear it up.
And then use almond oil for the ends, daily. I noticed it is very well tolerated on my wavy hair.
I wouldn't cut it if it is only dry.
If it's fried, that's another story.
If it's just dry, it need hydration, that's all.
I'd say give it one more year, say 2, go to waist, see how it behaves and take care of it.

missmelaniem
April 24th, 2018, 09:31 AM
When I grew out my gray my biggest regret was cutting it. I wish I had just let it grow out and dealt with two-tone hair, which I wound up doing anyway!

I would just use a heavier conditioner on the ends over cutting it off if dryness is the only issue. If you dont like the color difference because my hair was salt and pepper with a few streaks in front I just did a reverse ombre that matched my natural color. It actually looked really good IMO :)

genlilliana
April 24th, 2018, 11:57 AM
Thanks for the responses...maybe a leave in spritz would work. I don't mind the two tone but the ends are really dry, beyond dry in a way they usually haven't been. When I shampooed today and the suds hit the ends, they felt like plastic. Once the conditioner was in and soaking...ends feel just fine. I think I'm just annoyed with the dual haircare needs and so long as my hair is at least shoulder length - I'm good. For now, I'll try the spritz and see if that helps make it a little easier.

lapushka
April 24th, 2018, 03:40 PM
I would check out two threads on here, the dye grow out thread and the salt and pepper thread. I'm sure you'll find plenty of tips and overcome difficulties in those threads!

Jo Ann
April 24th, 2018, 10:50 PM
I would suggest trying out the ROO and LOC/LCO methods (there are links in Lapushka's signature). Try using a second conditioner when you wash your hair, after the ROO, but only from the ears down. Those two methods (three if you count the second conditioner) should help get moisture back into the ends of your hair. I would also suggest microtrimming 1/4-1/2 inch per month to help get any split ends under control and help control the tangles.

Good luck to you!