PDA

View Full Version : look! a podcast about our hair chart!

Lunnafindel
April 21st, 2018, 09:01 AM
One of my favorite podcasts, 99% Invisible, just featured a story about Andre Walker's hair chart that all of us use and the societal implications of classifying hair, especially for African American hair. It's really good, take a listen (https://dts.podtrac.com/redirect.mp3/media.blubrry.com/99percentinvisible/dovetail.prxu.org/96/b1bea2ea-6484-49a3-912a-753886020266/303_The_Hair_Chart_pt01.mp3)!
Or, if listening isn't your style, read the article! https://99percentinvisible.org/episode/the-hair-chart/

lapushka
April 21st, 2018, 09:19 AM
I read the article - very nice find. Thank you so much for sharing! :D

bparnell75
April 21st, 2018, 09:45 AM
Luna, very nice to see you here again. I have missed you since you got married. B Parnell one of your giftees

EdG
April 21st, 2018, 09:55 AM
Very interesting article. I did not know the origin of the hair types. :)
Ed

nycelle
April 21st, 2018, 09:58 AM
Thanks for posting this, listening to it now.

AutobotsAttack
April 21st, 2018, 11:58 AM
Not to be harsh or anything, but the second half of the article, and the reasons behind why many don’t like the hair typing graphs rings true with me also. At this point in society and with it being 2018, knowing your curl pattern is really only the tip of the iceberg compared to caring for all the other aspects of your hair.

Your curl pattern doesn’t define you, and neither does your hair as a whole.

I’m not blaming the creator of the hair chart. He made something simple and was meant to be for positivity, but it goes to show how folks will use something positive and convolute it and twist it into something completely negative.

I roll my eyes at the natural hair community because I’ve been ridiculed by a lot of them because I choose to chemically straighten my hair. Which is the main reason why I decided to become a member here. Many Women tend to ignore me when I speak out about this, or make it into a not so big deal, but it’s very real for me and many other women( to this day) who decide to keep their hair straight. It isn’t about me trying to adhere to something I’m not, it isn’t about being “oppressed”, or de-valuing myself, or showcasing my “insecurities”, whatever the heck that’s even supposed to mean. I’m not rejecting my heritage, nor am I ashamed of my heritage either.

And it leeches to other ethnicities as well, and they too will look at me, and make completely misunderstood and brash comments because they see people of my same ethnicity trying to shame what I do. So they hop on board thinking they know ANYTHING.

I do appreciate articles that bring up paradigm shifts towards positivity, but these very same articles stir up way too much controversy in the African American communities within ITSELF. There’s people who claim to be supporting the same thing, and yet they will completely ridicule the same people in the group just because they see things different from their own perspective.

I understand the hardships that history often carries with itself, but as I’ve said a hundred times, it’s 2018, and people are free now more than ever to express themselves and be whoever they wish, and that includes African americans, and yet all I see are people who are still hung up on the past, and afraid of something that died out and was won over decades ago. And as a result all they’re doing is trying to divide themselves from within. And for what? So they can have something “unique”, or because they’re trying to fight “cultural appropriation”? No one is trying to actively take anything from anyone, even on an individual scale. And cultural appropriation by and large doesn’t really exist, and if it does it more than likely wouldn’t be called that.

Everyone is already unique in their own way. America is too great of a melting pot for things to be this messed up between communities.

You’re your own person, and the hair doesn’t make the person, the person makes their hair.

Many ladies on here might not understand where I’m coming from, but what I’ve voiced is something very real for me, and it’s something I deal with on a weekly basis, and have been dealing with since I opted to go from natural to relaxed 4 years ago when I graduated high school.

lapushka
April 21st, 2018, 12:18 PM
I roll my eyes at the natural hair community because I’ve been ridiculed by a lot of them because I choose to chemically straighten my hair. Which is the main reason why I decided to become a member here. Many Women tend to ignore me when I speak out about this, or make it into a not so big deal, but it’s very real for me and many other women( to this day) who decide to keep their hair straight. It isn’t about me trying to adhere to something I’m not, it isn’t about being “oppressed”, or de-valuing myself, or showcasing my “insecurities”, whatever the heck that’s even supposed to mean. I’m not rejecting my heritage, nor am I ashamed of my heritage either.

Because you're black and that in itself carries within it a whole "other" history than I have as a white woman of historic Spanish descent, I just have to mention this, I permed my hair for years too (curly perms), and no one hounded me for doing it, yes it is a chemical process, but so is dyeing the hair different colors. I don't quite "get" why it HAS TO mean so much.

Like you said it is 2018. Yes history matters, but you ultimately choose to wear your hair the way you want to. Period.

Sometimes the natural community can get a little "much" for me too, which is why I watch a certain number of naturals on YT, and not others. I have my short list. ;)

nycelle
April 21st, 2018, 12:40 PM
Not to be harsh or anything, but the second half of the article, and the reasons behind why many don’t like the hair typing graphs rings true with me also. At this point in society and with it being 2018, knowing your curl pattern is really only the tip of the iceberg compared to caring for all the other aspects of your hair.

Your curl pattern doesn’t define you, and neither does your hair as a whole.

I’m not blaming the creator of the hair chart. He made something simple and was meant to be for positivity, but it goes to show how folks will use something positive and convolute it and twist it into something completely negative.

And it leeches to other ethnicities as well, and they too will look at me, and make completely misunderstood and brash comments because they see people of my same ethnicity trying to shame what I do. So they hop on board thinking they know ANYTHING.

I do appreciate articles that bring up paradigm shifts towards positivity, but these very same articles stir up way too much controversy in the African American communities within ITSELF. There’s people who claim to be supporting the same thing, and yet they will completely ridicule the same people in the group just because they see things different from their own perspective.

I understand the hardships that history often carries with itself, but as I’ve said a hundred times, it’s 2018, and people are free now more than ever to express themselves and be whoever they wish, and that includes African americans, and yet all I see are people who are still hung up on the past, and afraid of something that died out and was won over decades ago. And as a result all they’re doing is trying to divide themselves from within. And for what? So they can have something “unique”, or because they’re trying to fight “cultural appropriation”? No one is trying to actively take anything from anyone, even on an individual scale. And cultural appropriation by and large doesn’t really exist, and if it does it more than likely wouldn’t be called that.

Everyone is already unique in their own way. America is too great of a melting pot for things to be this messed up between communities.

You’re your own person, and the hair doesn’t make the person, the person makes their hair.

Many ladies on here might not understand where I’m coming from, but what I’ve voiced is something very real for me, and it’s something I deal with on a weekly basis, and have been dealing with since I opted to go from natural to relaxed 4 years ago when I graduated high school.

You're very true to yourself, that's a wonderful attitude, and something most of us need to remind ourselves to do more often.

I typed up a whole freakin' essay but realized that in the end it's pointless. As a white woman, I don't understand and won't pretend to. But I can offer empathy as a woman to another woman, who doesn't love her natural texture regardless of the reasons.

We've all been there. Curly to straight, straight to curly and everything in-between for women of every race and ethnicity for a myriad of reasons, it is what it is.

But I wanted to touch on something you said, I've said in another thread but no as succinctly - "Your curl pattern doesn’t define you, and neither does your hair as a whole." #Truth

AutobotsAttack
April 21st, 2018, 12:41 PM
Because you're black and that in itself carries within it a whole "other" history than I have as a white woman of historic Spanish descent, I just have to mention this, I permed my hair for years too (curly perms), and no one hounded me for doing it, yes it is a chemical process, but so is dyeing the hair different colors. I don't quite "get" why it HAS TO mean so much.

Like you said it is 2018. Yes history matters, but you ultimately choose to wear your hair the way you want to. Period.

Sometimes the natural community can get a little "much" for me too, which is why I watch a certain number of naturals on YT, and not others. I have my short list. ;)

Yes. Which is why I’m at least thankful you’re understanding. As are a number of others on here.
To be honest I think all ethnicities from the darkest to the fairest shades of skin have all suffered through something. It isn’t about who had the hardest are who went through the worst of the worst. It’s about overcoming. Even if some can’t relate most have the ability to sympathize.

My mom always tells me this, “suffering is suffering”.

I think history matters as a reminder for future generations. And as a “look how far we’ve come” sign for future generations too. Sadly most use it as a crutch or as a means to hold something in other people’s faces for the mistakes of their ancestors.

But I agree. I only have about 4-5 natural women I watch on YouTube. It slowly just revolves into side choosing the more and more I watch other channels.

AutobotsAttack
April 21st, 2018, 12:56 PM
You're very true to yourself, that's a wonderful attitude, and something most of us need to remind ourselves to do more often.

I typed up a whole freakin' essay but realized that in the end it's pointless. As a white woman, I don't understand and won't pretend to. But I can offer empathy as a woman to another woman, who doesn't love her natural texture regardless of the reasons.

We've all been there. Curly to straight, straight to curly and everything in-between for women of every race and ethnicity for a myriad of reasons, it is what it is.

But I wanted to touch on something you said, I've said in another thread but no as succinctly - "Your curl pattern doesn’t define you, and neither does your hair as a whole." #Truth

That means a lot to me more than you’ll ever know.

And believe me it isn’t rocket science. It’s just people needing to step outside of their feelings for more than a second.

This may sound weird, but most of my sayings I hear from my mother. I always tell people, “the only cotton I’ve ever had to pick was a shirt off the T-shirt rack at Walmart”. I usually get a laugh and a look of mutual agreement on the gravity of what I said. But it’s true now more than ever, and it’s sad that giant masses of people can’t seem to move forward. Moving forward doesn’t mean forgetting necessarily, just joining hands and coming together.

We all have freedom of choice and concerning hair, and being in TLHC, I think by and large we have hold true to the mantra of taking care of your hair regardless of what state to choose to have it in. And there’s been showcases of hair that can reach beautiful lengths with it being fine/delicate, color treated, and chemically treated.

But thank you for understanding. It’s such a joy bringer from most of the outside world junk I see and hear all the time.

lapushka
April 21st, 2018, 02:26 PM
But I agree. I only have about 4-5 natural women I watch on YouTube. It slowly just revolves into side choosing the more and more I watch other channels.

I am now watching Lydia Tefera (someone new I discovered), she has a looser curl pattern, so you might enjoy her videos; I think she's about 3b or so.

ETA: EliElizabeth is great too.

Both just do "plain" reviews, which I like!

AutobotsAttack
April 21st, 2018, 02:59 PM
I am now watching Lydia Tefera (someone new I discovered), she has a looser curl pattern, so you might enjoy her videos; I think she's about 3b or so.

ETA: EliElizabeth is great too.

Both just do "plain" reviews, which I like!

I’ll have to check them out! Thanks!

Lunnafindel
April 24th, 2018, 11:42 AM
I agree that people should be happy with the hairstyle they choose - that's the whole point of LHC, after all! - and, at its roots (get it? :toofers: ) that's kind of the point of the natural hair movement as well, except that at some point the ever-present human tendency to judge other people for making a different choice than we do got in the way.

The thing I really love about the hair chart is that it allows different people to do different things for their (obviously) different hair, which isn't always true - think the "you should brush 100 strokes every morning" maxim, which doesn't work for curly-haired folk, or the "you should wash your hair every day" which doesn't work for dry-haired folk.

I don't think there's anything a chart can do about people being nasty and judgemental, but with the dynamic duo of Andre Walker's chart and a million different YouTubers, there's so much more specifically tailored advice for people, which is so great!

Also I feel kind of famous - we LHCers are kind of like Oprah by association!

chiapommama
April 24th, 2018, 11:52 AM
Interesting hair chart. Thanks for sharing.

Hairkay
April 24th, 2018, 03:30 PM
I simply came to the conclusion that no hair chart will ever be perfect. I also don't like the squabbling, insults etc that have happened to do with hair type. We each have to learn to care for our own particular hair and sometimes other family members too. That's life. I only use one or two social media sites that I may check up on hair. I'll shorten videos to suit me since I'm more interested in styling my hair than looking at products.

browneyedsusan
April 25th, 2018, 06:34 AM
@ Autobotsattack: We wear our hair how we like it! :cheese: Mine is full of henna, and not ash brown and gray. Henna makes me happy. Relaxing makes you happy. Yay, us!

--------
I'll have a listen to the podcast later. :)

Arciela
April 25th, 2018, 07:50 AM
I agree with browneyedsusan :)

I say wear your hair however you like to be happy :) it's what I do!