PDA

View Full Version : How long can your hair really grow?

JessaOlsen
April 19th, 2018, 03:12 AM
So I've seen it a few times where people claim the length your hair can grow to depends on your genes. Is that true? my hair grows really long quiet fast but my sisters' hair doesn't. Anybody got any ideas?

lapushka
April 19th, 2018, 05:56 AM
So I've seen it a few times where people claim the length your hair can grow to depends on your genes. Is that true? my hair grows really long quiet fast but my sisters' hair doesn't. Anybody got any ideas?

What's your sister's routine? Do you know?

Genes is one thing, but taking good care of it is another and that comes into play as well.

Have a browse around and you'll find plenty of people that defy the odds!

Margarita
April 19th, 2018, 07:52 AM
I dont believe this much, i just believe it can affect the hair type. As for growth, genes doesnt matter. Personally, i have slow hair growth but i try my best to grow my hair super long. And as lapushka said, hair care routine also matters, of how it will "seal" in the hair and its tedencies after some time. Thats what i also believe.

gossamer
April 19th, 2018, 08:32 AM
Terminal length is affected by many different factors. Ultimately each person has a genetically determined hair growth cycle that no amount of delicate care can alter. There are many reasons why less optimal hair care or self care would make someone have a shorter terminal length than they could grow to with ideal health and 100% non-damage creating hair care. But even in ideal circumstances, yes, hair will eventually stop growing, go into a resting phase, and then shed out. That’s how our bodies work, and the length at which the hair has reached between when it began growing and when the follicle went into resting phase is tied to genetics, in the end. Just because she is your sister doesn’t mean you have inherited exactly that same set of genetics.

Dark40
April 22nd, 2018, 04:05 PM
I also wondered the same thing as far as when it comes to genetics. But I really don't think so anymore. It's according to your routine and how well you take care of your hair like what Lapushka said. I'm the opposite of you. I've always wondered if I can grow hair as long as both my aunt's and cousin's hair on my dad's side of the family. When they were younger their hair used to be classic length, and they would wear a plait or ponytail as long as tailbone length. Now, I've always known that I took hair texture after my dad. Which is curly and soft, and I took the thickness of my hair after my mom's side of her family but she can't grow butt length hair.

ravenskey
April 22nd, 2018, 04:47 PM
Everyone has their own hair growth cycle and the length of that will determine how long the hair will grow but routine and how much you care for your hair do play a big factor - for example someone with the exact same cycle as another may appear to have a shorter terminal length because they use heat or bleach or otherwise damage their hair while the other person looks after their hair more.

MusicalSpoons
April 22nd, 2018, 05:37 PM
Genetics dictate how long your hair can grow. Handling, routine and general care dictate how long your hair will grow. And of course, genetics also influence how one's hair will react to the care of it - we have at least one member I recall whose genuine terminal is APL (or was it BSL? Either way, a short terminal length), who babies her hair, and handles it even more delicately than antique lace! Whereas others can effortlessly grow way past that despite wearing their hair loose, chemically processing it, and generally not handling it at all delicately.

cathair
April 22nd, 2018, 06:24 PM
Your hair can only grow as along as it stays in your scalp with a healthy root. That's the genetic limit, how long there is before your hair will shed out. That determines the length of time your hair has to grow. If that didn't happen it could grow infinitely, as long as you were alive.

Treatment of your hair will usually be the more practical limit though and how much breaks off the ends.

A hairdresser told me I didn't have the genes to grow my hair past shoulder :bs: Well here I am past classic :evil:

Dark40
April 22nd, 2018, 07:49 PM
cathair, congratulations on reaching past classic length! :D My mom told me when I was little that I didn't have it in my genes to grow hair past mid back length, and now here I am with hair 2 inches past mid back length! I'm here at waist length!:happydance:

spidermom
April 22nd, 2018, 08:41 PM
As I understand it, hair length is a combination of number of months (years) hair keeps growing before it sheds out multiplied by how fast it grows per month (year). It's an individual thing. One person's hair might grow an average of an inch per month for 36 months (3 years) = 36 inches while another person's hair might grow one-half inch per month for 120 months (10 years) = 60 inches. This is, of course, optimized by taking good care of the hair so that it doesn't break off.

elfynity
April 23rd, 2018, 11:36 AM
This is a very interesting thread. About 6 or 7 years ago, I made a conscious effort to look after my hair and use oils on it to help it to grow. i didn't know much about hair care back then, let alone anything about nasty products that can damage your hair - and then I put my hair into braids with extensions for fun (i have wavy hair) and at that time my hair was BSL, 3 months later when I took my hair out it was WL. THat right there is about 3 inches of growth per month. I had to cut my hair really short soon after that, and then grew it to BSL in a few years, and it was growing well until I decided to dye it. Over the next few years, I dyed it about 4 or 5 times. I started to use the hairdryer and flatiron because my alwyas looked flyaway (now i know it was prbably because of the damage i had done to it by dyeing) and over the next few years my hair actually got shorter and thinner. I was also told that my hair would never grow past my shoulders becuase it is too thin, but since I have been taking care of it, my hair is now going past BSL.

I have also heard that hair grows faster at different seasons of the year, i don't know how true this is. But i will make an effort to make a note of this.