PDA

View Full Version : Wannabe waves? (Hairtyping)

MusicalSpoons
April 18th, 2018, 12:08 PM
[Update for people who read the first post but not the rest of the thread: new hairtyping pic here https://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=146136&page=4&p=3684538&viewfull=1#post3684538]

Recently I've been noticing a lot more wavy / curly individual strands throughout my hair, and the wispies around my front hairline clump into spirals when exposed to humidity, or when I've spent a long time looking down without tucking the hair back :confused: I also just assumed the frizz explosion I get when airdrying was purely down to new growth, but now I'm beginning to wonder whether it's straight new growth or actually wannabe wavy hairs? So I took a hairtyping photo - shampooed, conditioned, airdried and unmanipulated - plus some weird angles (because my arm only reaches so far) of some of the length to try to capture the frizz accurately.

Proper hairtyping pic, a bit weird lighting so it's not very sharp (it was the best I could get):
https://farm1.staticflickr.com/793/39734365740_c47a224871_z.jpg

Pics 1 and 2 are from that same airdrying, 1 is uncombed, 2 is combed. Pic 3 is from a few months ago when the frizz showed up so well it really tickled me (again - airdried, uncombed, unmanipulated)
https://farm1.staticflickr.com/871/40649974065_49775cc46d_n.jpg https://farm1.staticflickr.com/810/27673109008_acc5807439_n.jpg https://farm1.staticflickr.com/925/26674044047_c873f910ae_n.jpg

So my question is two-fold: 1) is that frizz a sign of any waviness at all, and 2) any thoughts on the hairtype, please? I know it is overwhelmingly straight but is there anything going on in the underneath layer, or am I just imagining it?

Thanks for any input! :)

Lady Stardust
April 18th, 2018, 02:08 PM
I’m rubbish at hairtyping so I won’t be much help, but as far I know frizz often indicate waviness, I don’t know whether that’s an absolute. My hair loves to frizz but I’ve found that using very moisturising products keeps it under control. On my hair, frizz means it needs more moisture.

Your hair is beautiful! I guess the length might be pulling it straighter than it would be at a shorter length, especially as you’re getting ringlets in your hairline.

I think yiu’re right about the under layer looking more wavy, it might be easier to see if you did a half up? I have a similar thing happening sometimes, my hair looks a bit bent on some days and if i hold the top half up I can see strong waves underneath.

lapushka
April 18th, 2018, 02:15 PM
I think that is not 1a, because there's a little wave to it; but it's not a 2 texture at all, and neither is it 1c, so I'd say 1b.

Platzhalter
April 18th, 2018, 02:19 PM
I'm with Lapushka on this one - definitely not a 1a, but still too straight for even a 1c, so 1b seems to be the only valid option.

Corvana
April 18th, 2018, 02:24 PM
I'd say 1b for now, for sure. It could be more later though! Reminds me of my hair a year ago tbh.

spidermom
April 18th, 2018, 02:28 PM
My immediate thought was 1C, which I think is being pulled straighter by the length/weight.

ravenskey
April 18th, 2018, 02:30 PM
I'd say it's 1b - it's not totally stick straight like 1a but it hasn't got enough of a wave for 1c.
If you think your underneath layer is different you should post a half up picture as it's quite hard to tell in the above photos.

lithostoic
April 18th, 2018, 03:26 PM
Looks like my hair when it's frizzy!

lapushka
April 18th, 2018, 04:01 PM
For hairtyping it might be 1b, or even go with 1b/1c, that's an option.

I think you might be able to "spruce up" the wave pattern by scrunching the hair or encouraging it in some way that won't tangle up your hair (unfortunately scrunching kinda does that a bit).

nycelle
April 18th, 2018, 04:14 PM
Is that frizz or new growth? hmm

I'd say 1c (with my limited knowledge of hair typing, just basing it on the pics here.) I think the length might be weighing down the wave?

ravenheather
April 18th, 2018, 04:22 PM
Looks 1b to me.

yahirwaO.o
April 18th, 2018, 04:49 PM
Your hair looks exactly like mine when air dried!!!! :beerchug:

The halo frizz and the somewhat fluffy but still straight texture.

I also heard that I had potencial for waves... not at all!!! If its layered or short like now it does kinda bouncy into a somehat wave if I dont brush , all the LHc things and advices for encouraging waves never work for me tho! Scrunching just makes my strands like stringy coils ha ha ha ha :p

I post somewhere else but I think this is struggle of 1b's or 1c's thing. I type mine as 1c because it is now shoulder lenght but as soon as I reach BSL my hair acts more 1B.

Also, I've got 2 front waves of my hair, the are more curved waves but still the stick out funny with the rest of my hair.

So to sum up. You are into 1's category, there is not wave patter at the back but b' s and c's can have some front waves somehow!

Your hair and color is so pretty!!!! :o

Margarita
April 19th, 2018, 05:16 AM
I'd say it is 1a. I also get micro frizz at the crown of of my head. I like your hair very much, if you hair always have tendency to frizz, then its just your natural texture. Most people's hair here are naturally frizzy as they say so, im also in the circle =D

lapushka
April 19th, 2018, 05:18 AM
I'd say it is 1a. I also get micro frizz at the crown of of my head. I like your hair very much, if you hair always have tendency to frizz, then its just your natural texture. Most people's hair here are naturally frizzy as they say so, im also in the circle =D

1a doesn't have "texture" at all, Margarita. And she does have texture to it, so 1a is not it. For sure.

Margarita
April 19th, 2018, 06:42 AM
1a doesn't have "texture" at all, Margarita. And she does have texture to it, so 1a is not it. For sure.

Oh, it seems i dont have such knowledge about straight hair since im fond with 2. Isnt 1a completely straight with no frizz or something? :confused: Then...1b or 1c?

MusicalSpoons
April 19th, 2018, 09:25 AM
Thank you everyone for your input, and for the lovely comments! :flower: I had 1b as my type already, so I think for now I'll stick with that, just maybe thinking of it as '1b with ideas above its station' (i.e. aspiring to be something more than it is) :o It was mainly out of curiousity than anything else.

I'd say it's 1b - it's not totally stick straight like 1a but it hasn't got enough of a wave for 1c.
If you think your underneath layer is different you should post a half up picture as it's quite hard to tell in the above photos.

I didn't think of that at the time, as it was only when looking at the pics on the laptop that I 'saw' anything there. Next time though (whenever in the future that may be!) I will definitely do that! Thank you and LadyStardust for the suggestion.

For hairtyping it might be 1b, or even go with 1b/1c, that's an option.

I think you might be able to "spruce up" the wave pattern by scrunching the hair or encouraging it in some way that won't tangle up your hair (unfortunately scrunching kinda does that a bit).

Yeah, part of the reason I started to wonder is that where my hair usually dries overnight, the bottom half of the length is resting on a (clean) surface off the end of my bed, a bit scrunched up, which I've realised might have an effect along similar lines as plopping? From that I tend to wake up with hair that is looking distinctly 1c before combing, which is another reason why I wondered what it actually does when left alone to dry. I'm not too fussed about trying to encourage anything other than perhaps for any future experimental purposes - I never wear it down, and never wear it uncombed (plus, combed out it's a definite 1b).

Oh, it seems i dont have such knowledge about straight hair since im fond with 2. Isnt 1a completely straight with no frizz or something? :confused: Then...1b or 1c?

You're correct, 1a is completely straight, no texture, and (I think) no frizz. That does not describe my hair at all :grin: 1a is quite distinctive, from what I can tell - even without combing or brushing it looks a bit like a shiny, silky sheet, and (I think) with no visible clumping.

I might revisit this in the event I for some reason have to wash in the daytime again, or perhaps in a year or so with more LHC-cared-for growth. I also see mention of many people's textures changing around the 30yr-old mark, so I would just find it interesting to see :)

SallySue
April 19th, 2018, 09:33 AM
The hairtyping system is not perfect, as most people have more than one type on different areas of their heads!
You definitely have waves, but the length is likely weighing them down, with the water weight stretching them out as they air-dry.
If you're interested in seeing your full wave potential, try applying a gel to your towel-dried hair and air drying in some other shape besides combed out (lightly tousled with your fingers, perhaps). Always scrunch the gel when dry to get rid of the crunchiness.

SallySue
April 19th, 2018, 09:35 AM
The hairtyping system is not perfect, as most people have more than one type on different areas of their heads!
You definitely have waves, but the length is likely weighing them down, with the water weight stretching them out as they air-dry.
If you're interested in seeing your full wave potential, try applying a gel to your towel-dried hair and air drying in some other shape besides combed out (like lightly scrunched with your fingers, being careful not to separate the clumps too much). Gently scrunch the gel when dry to get rid of the crunchiness.

MusicalSpoons
September 3rd, 2018, 11:33 AM
Reviving this thread now I've been double-conditioning for a while. School holidays have meant I've gone way off washing schedule, and a few times have washed during the day and seen how my hair dries left to its own devices. My hair is consistently drying like this underneath:

(Without flash)
https://farm2.staticflickr.com/1869/44401669692_150bf0be8a.jpg
(Image description: dark blonde semi-wavy, stringy-looking lengths of hair)

(With flash)
https://farm2.staticflickr.com/1858/42641774550_709eee2650.jpg
(Image description: part of the lengths of semi-wavy, blonde hair)

https://farm2.staticflickr.com/1858/43541827225_081c7ee118.jpg
(Image description: more compacted lengths of semi-wavy blonde hair)

I'm fairly sure the top still reads 1b, but as this nascent waviness was not a fluke I think I shall change my stats to 1b/1c :)

lithostoic
September 3rd, 2018, 11:44 AM
I'd call it 1b/1c :)

lapushka
September 3rd, 2018, 12:03 PM
I would say 1b/c as well.

MusicalSpoons
September 3rd, 2018, 12:10 PM
Thanks, lithostoic and lapushka (Sorry, didn't see your post before submitting this original comment!) :)

If you're interested in seeing your full wave potential, try applying a gel to your towel-dried hair and air drying in some other shape besides combed out (lightly tousled with your fingers, perhaps). Always scrunch the gel when dry to get rid of the crunchiness.

Thank you for your advice; I'm sorry I didn't get to reply to it when you first posted! :flower: I'm only really curious because so many people come here with their hair behaving straight, then find with an overhauled routine their hair turns out wavy. Scrunching, gel, LOC and other such methods sound like more work than I'm prepared to put in though; I've always preferred my hair to be as low-maintenance as possible :grin: especially as I always wear it up other than occasionally air-drying for hairtyping (in none of the pics has it been combed or fingercombed or otherwise manipulated, btw :) ). Any distinctive waves would be gone after that, and to me it wouldn't be worth it. But thank you, if my hair were shorter and I wore it down I would definitely consider giving wave-encouraging methods a go :D

Natalia_A00
September 3rd, 2018, 02:41 PM
I would say it's 1b

Lady Stardust
September 3rd, 2018, 02:43 PM
I agree it looks like 1b/1c, but there are quite a few S waves in there so maybe it could push into 1c or 1c/2a territory in the future? The double conditioning is certainly working.

It’s so interesting having these clandestine waves isn’t it :) I’ve recently found that my (previously 1b) canopy will join the rest of my hair in 1c waves if it has extra moisture - I’ve been spraying rosewater on the canopy and smoothing leave in conditioner over the top. I’ve also found that leaving my hair as wet as I can stand it after washing helps the canopy to join in with the underneath.

I’m of a similar mindset to you - I want to wash my hair and let it settle into its own thing without the need for manipulation. It’s nice to get the frizz under control too, although mine still goes nuts if it rains.

MusicalSpoons
September 3rd, 2018, 03:57 PM
Indeed, Lady Stardust! I honestly assumed I pretty much had my hair figured out*, but this is quite fun :D I only started double conditioning because my hair was getting dry and I was finding more breakage (which I'm now thinking may have been partly exacerbated by the change in weather, especially with the summer generally being less humid than usual) so finding this was an unexpected bonus. It will be interesting to see how much wavier your hair becomes too, with continued extra moisture.

*despite still being a relative LHC newbie :laugh:

Lady Stardust
September 3rd, 2018, 04:20 PM
Indeed, Lady Stardust! I honestly assumed I pretty much had my hair figured out*, but this is quite fun :D I only started double conditioning because my hair was getting dry and I was finding more breakage (which I'm now thinking may have been partly exacerbated by the change in weather, especially with the summer generally being less humid than usual) so finding this was an unexpected bonus. It will be interesting to see how much wavier your hair becomes too, with continued extra moisture.

*despite still being a relative LHC newbie :laugh:

It is fun isn’t it! It’s all good because we’re giving our hair the moisture it needs now and we have a barometer of how well it’s working - less frizz and more waves!

I said this earlier in the thread but I have to say it again - your hair is so beautiful! It’s all the better for double conditioning too. Are you doing WCC then, with ROO in between?

For me, the focus on texture is taking my mind off growth, so I don’t worry about it too much, which makes “enjoying the journey” much easier. The better the condition the more it waves and shrinks so the shorter it gets :)

lapushka
September 3rd, 2018, 04:48 PM
I agree it looks like 1b/1c, but there are quite a few S waves in there so maybe it could push into 1c or 1c/2a territory in the future? The double conditioning is certainly working.

It’s so interesting having these clandestine waves isn’t it :) I’ve recently found that my (previously 1b) canopy will join the rest of my hair in 1c waves if it has extra moisture - I’ve been spraying rosewater on the canopy and smoothing leave in conditioner over the top. I’ve also found that leaving my hair as wet as I can stand it after washing helps the canopy to join in with the underneath.

I’m of a similar mindset to you - I want to wash my hair and let it settle into its own thing without the need for manipulation. It’s nice to get the frizz under control too, although mine still goes nuts if it rains.

Unfortunately, you have to follow the hairtyping guide's rules and those say to simply wash, not "helping" the waves along in *any* way whatsoever. So it's a little more complicated than that. ;)

Lady Stardust
September 3rd, 2018, 05:30 PM
Unfortunately, you have to follow the hairtyping guide's rules and those say to simply wash, not "helping" the waves along in *any* way whatsoever. So it's a little more complicated than that. ;)

I should have been clear - I was describing what I do when I feel my canopy needs more moisture, not for hair typing.

It all contributes though, if my canopy is kept well moisturised it will have a cumulative effect. The last few times I have tried hair typing it has been 1c consistently :)

nycelle
September 3rd, 2018, 07:09 PM
It is fun isn’t it! It’s all good because we’re giving our hair the moisture it needs now and we have a barometer of how well it’s working - less frizz and more waves!

I said this earlier in the thread but I have to say it again - your hair is so beautiful! It’s all the better for double conditioning too. Are you doing WCC then, with ROO in between?

For me, the focus on texture is taking my mind off growth, so I don’t worry about it too much, which makes “enjoying the journey” much easier. The better the condition the more it waves and shrinks so the shorter it gets :)

If you're finding it still frizzy even with lots of moisture, it could be the ingredients in the products.

I joined a FB group and had no idea how some ingredients (humectants like glycerin and aloe) can have varying effects depending on the dew point.

So if you're finding the summer on the dry side, a product heavy in glycerin can actually cause frizz on some hair. It's all about trial and error.. lots of trial and error I'm discovering..

Lady Stardust
September 4th, 2018, 03:44 AM
If you're finding it still frizzy even with lots of moisture, it could be the ingredients in the products.

I joined a FB group and had no idea how some ingredients (humectants like glycerin and aloe) can have varying effects depending on the dew point.

So if you're finding the summer on the dry side, a product heavy in glycerin can actually cause frizz on some hair. It's all about trial and error.. lots of trial and error I'm discovering..

Ah yes good point, I’ve read about that, and looked into dew points, but the humidity is relatively high year round where I live (England). I don’t get frizz day to day, only if I get rained on, and then it’s party time for the new growth! There are some products that claim to protect against that but I haven’t tried any.

MusicalSpoons
September 5th, 2018, 01:52 PM

Aww, that's very kind of you to say, thank you :flower: yes, I kind of swap between CWC and WCC, with the ROO after the shampoo and before the final conditioner (CWOC or WCOC :lol: ) That's a very good point about taking the focus away from length, and I'm glad it's helping you. For me it's also reassurance that I'm doing my best to promote length retention so it *must* be growing ... I hope ... !

Ah yes good point, I’ve read about that, and looked into dew points, but the humidity is relatively high year round where I live (England). I don’t get frizz day to day, only if I get rained on, and then it’s party time for the new growth! There are some products that claim to protect against that but I haven’t tried any.

Some time ago I also did a bit of digging, and it turns out that high humidity doesn't necessarily mean high dew points. I mean, since I've taken notice I've never seen *low* dew points, but lower than I'd have expected (considering my Polish friends complain about the cold here being too damp, nor can some of my Nigerian friends take the heat here because it's still too damp!) I can't find the post and links right now but I'll come back to it.

For now I'll quote from the first post from this thread: https://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=121564 reading it was the first time dew points and their effect on hair started to make any sense to me. (Formatting tweaked for easier reading)

Any dew point 15 degree Fahrenheit and below is very dry. Use as much moisture and emollients as you hair can handle without over conditioning or over loading and cut out humectants totally. If you have curly hair you will have to expect a looser curl pattern at this point, and those with wavy hair, may find little or no wave in their hair at all. For those who like to occasionally straighten their hair, this is a good time for it since you may have less curl to fight, and there is little or no moisture in the hair for it to ‘revert’.

Dew points between 15 – 30 degrees Fahrenheit means it is dry, add moisture and emollients. Limit or cut out humectants. This dew point range suits those with straighter hair, but that does not mean you can get away with skipping deep conditioners and protecting the ends of your hair.

Dew point of between 30 – 40 degrees Fahrenheit can be iffy. This dew point range is better suited to some straight, wavy and curly hair types. Some people find their hair can tolerate more humectants. Other cannot it is very trial and error in this range. I have to say personally my hair likes this range.

Dew point of around 40-60 degrees Fahrenheit means the air is moist but not oppressively so, straightening hair at this range becomes a trial. This dew point range suits wavy to curly hair, in fact it is perfect for curly hair you should get some curl without the summer frizz, but lots of shrinkage. Dry hair loves this range and is full and healthy looking. Find a balance between moisture and humectants that works for you.

Dew point 60 and up, you’ll need less moisture (usually) and some lighter humectants to help keep the environmental moisture that causes that summer frizz out of your hair. Even those who like moisture will not need as much of the heavy stuff as they did in the winter. This is the time for your hard hold gels.

Once the dew point gets past 70, it’s pretty miserable anyway, so you may just feel better putting your hair into an up do.

I will say that in the middle of the heat wave, our dew points were in the 30s (℉) for much of the time. For reference, yesterday midday they were in the 50s here in the east https://www.weatheronline.co.uk/weather/maps/ dew points East (https://www.weatheronline.co.uk/weather/maps/current?LANG=en&UP=0&R=310&CEL=F&SI=mph&TYP=taupunkt&ART=karte&LANG=en&DATE=1536058800&KEY=EST&LAND=EST&CONT=ukuk&SORT=2&UD=0&INT=06)

Lady Stardust
September 5th, 2018, 02:37 PM
Aww, that's very kind of you to say, thank you :flower: yes, I kind of swap between CWC and WCC, with the ROO after the shampoo and before the final conditioner (CWOC or WCOC :lol: ) That's a very good point about taking the focus away from length, and I'm glad it's helping you. For me it's also reassurance that I'm doing my best to promote length retention so it *must* be growing ... I hope ... !

Some time ago I also did a bit of digging, and it turns out that high humidity doesn't necessarily mean high dew points. I mean, since I've taken notice I've never seen *low* dew points, but lower than I'd have expected (considering my Polish friends complain about the cold here being too damp, nor can some of my Nigerian friends take the heat here because it's still too damp!) I can't find the post and links right now but I'll come back to it.

For now I'll quote from the first post from this thread: https://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=121564 reading it was the first time dew points and their effect on hair started to make any sense to me. (Formatting tweaked for easier reading)

I will say that in the middle of the heat wave, our dew points were in the 30s (℉) for much of the time. For reference, yesterday midday they were in the 50s here in the east https://www.weatheronline.co.uk/weather/maps/ dew points East (https://www.weatheronline.co.uk/weather/maps/current?LANG=en&UP=0&R=310&CEL=F&SI=mph&TYP=taupunkt&ART=karte&LANG=en&DATE=1536058800&KEY=EST&LAND=EST&CONT=ukuk&SORT=2&UD=0&INT=06)

Oh thanks, I find it strangely difficult to get my head around dew points! I’ve just checked relative humidity in the past. This sentence helped me:

“Dew point is related to the quantity of moisture in the air while relative humidity is related to how close the air is to saturation.”

Just quoting it here to help me to remember :)

MusicalSpoons
May 18th, 2019, 11:11 AM
Reviving this thread again because a year later, this is my hairtyping pic now:

https://live.staticflickr.com/65535/47085960574_e9bb4b1e93_c.jpg (https://flic.kr/p/2eJPRCs)Hairtyping May 2019 (https://flic.kr/p/2eJPRCs)

It's like, 1c to shoulder, 1b to hip, and then hints of 2a to the ends?! :confused: :rolleyes: :shrug:
(The end waves are completely natural; I made sure to sit up with my hair hanging off the seats throughout the day so the seat surface didn't act like slight plopping and distort the result.) Some things really don't change though - the frizz game is still going strong :lol:

LadyCelestina
May 18th, 2019, 11:31 AM

https://live.staticflickr.com/65535/47085960574_e9bb4b1e93_c.jpg (https://flic.kr/p/2eJPRCs)Hairtyping May 2019 (https://flic.kr/p/2eJPRCs)

It's like, 1c to shoulder, 1b to hip, and then hints of 2a to the ends?! :confused: :rolleyes: :shrug:
(The end waves are completely natural; I made sure to sit up with my hair hanging off the seats throughout the day so the seat surface didn't act like slight plopping and distort the result.) Some things really don't change though - the frizz game is still going strong :lol:

Honestly? I would try to encourage the curl, maybe an experimental wash day when you have time? :flower:

With your length and with some wavy/curly hair tendency to straighten out when nothing is done to encourage the curl, I think you could be in the 2's. Frizz is a big indicator of texture.

ETA: I mean in this pic it looks 1c or something pattern wise, but the fuzz indicates that there likely is more texture which just gets straightened for one reason or another...

ETA: In other words, I don't think those are Wannabe waves, those are Waves to be discovered ;)

lapushka
May 18th, 2019, 11:36 AM
I would say 1c/2a, judging by the very ends. It's the middle part that is quite straight, so maybe 1c? For sure not 1b!!!

Very pretty! :D

MusicalSpoons
May 18th, 2019, 12:31 PM
Honestly? I would try to encourage the curl, maybe an experimental wash day when you have time? :flower:

With your length and with some wavy/curly hair tendency to straighten out when nothing is done to encourage the curl, I think you could be in the 2's. Frizz is a big indicator of texture.

ETA: I mean in this pic it looks 1c or something pattern wise, but the fuzz indicates that there likely is more texture which just gets straightened for one reason or another...

ETA: In other words, I don't think those are Wannabe waves, those are Waves to be discovered ;)

In other words, clandestine waves (to borrow Lady Stardust's phrase) after all! :laugh:

Right now my usual routine is as much effort as I can give to my hair (and some weeks it's pushing it, when I don't really have enough energy) but maybe one day I'll do my usual CWROOC routine and see how it airdries untouched. I'd love to be able to co-wash but I really don't have the energy for that, plus the extra manipulation makes me shed more (it does when I give myself scalp massages with nothing else, so I'm pretty certain it is the manipulation and not the conditioner) and it takes *so* much water to do it properly. I have been putting conditioner higher up when I pre-poo though, so over time that will probably help. I've also only been using protein in my routine for about 6 months, so perhaps over time that will also help. It quite often seems to dry wavy overnight more since adding in protein, while I know that doesn't affect hair typing it shows the protein is helping the hair to hold a wave anyway.

I would say 1c/2a, judging by the very ends. It's the middle part that is quite straight, so maybe 1c? For sure not 1b!!!

Very pretty! :D

Thank you :) Yeah, that middle bit is confusing me! The only thing I can think of is it might be the bit with the most sun damage, maybe, or perhaps had the most damage from harsh shampoos - or both, even :hmm:

When I brushed my hair (actually brushed it out, not combed) then took a pic, there were still visible body waves down to shoulder, so it's definitely growing in somewhat wavy - I've felt them for a while, but wasn't sure if it was due to the hair being supported while drying so it's quite cool to see them even with gravity. I'll have to do another in a year or so to see how that turns out :lol:

Haven
May 18th, 2019, 12:48 PM
Reminds me of my texture on some days :) I think there is definitely potential to be a wavy!

LadyCelestina
May 18th, 2019, 01:32 PM
MusicalSpoons, is scrunching possible at your length? Sorry didn't read through the whole thread. If yes, and you do want to encourage the waves, have you tried maybe just a leave in + some type of hold product (if you have aloe vera for sunburn, will work just fine) and scrunching, if even just on the ends?

I think some of the wave at the top might be just caused by moving your head throughout the day :)

lapushka
May 18th, 2019, 03:31 PM
LadyCelestina, after FTL it kinda becomes impossible to scrunch in one go (reach the ends). So MusicalSpoons will probably have to scrunch in sections, and due to it being so "difficult" to style like that, I cut back to classic. I preferred styling my hair over the length.

Ylva
May 18th, 2019, 03:55 PM
Spoons, I swear, once my virgin hair grows out some more we'll end up being hair twins! :D

MusicalSpoons
May 18th, 2019, 04:04 PM
Reminds me of my texture on some days :) I think there is definitely potential to be a wavy!

I see you're a 2a, that's interesting. Thanks! :)

MusicalSpoons, is scrunching possible at your length? Sorry didn't read through the whole thread. If yes, and you do want to encourage the waves, have you tried maybe just a leave in + some type of hold product (if you have aloe vera for sunburn, will work just fine) and scrunching, if even just on the ends?

I think some of the wave at the top might be just caused by moving your head throughout the day :)

LadyCelestina, after FTL it kinda becomes impossible to scrunch in one go (reach the ends). So MusicalSpoons will probably have to scrunch in sections, and due to it being so "difficult" to style like that, I cut back to classic. I preferred styling my hair over the length.

^ Yeah, I have no real interest in attempting to style it because it lives in buns and it airdries overnight (except for hairtyping pics) but thank you for the suggestion LadyCelestina :) If I'd discovered LHC a couple of years earlier I probably would have investigated styling and leave-ins, etc. I think some form of plopping would be the most feasible thing to try should I wish to experiment, but we had a discussion in another thread a while ago about attempting to use stylers in longer-than-your-arms hair and I just couldn't get my head around it :lol:

Spoons, I swear, once my virgin hair grows out some more we'll end up being hair twins! :D

Wahoo! :hifive:

lapushka
May 18th, 2019, 04:29 PM
^ Yeah, I have no real interest in attempting to style it because it lives in buns and it airdries overnight (except for hairtyping pics) but thank you for the suggestion LadyCelestina :) If I'd discovered LHC a couple of years earlier I probably would have investigated styling and leave-ins, etc. I think some form of plopping would be the most feasible thing to try should I wish to experiment, but we had a discussion in another thread a while ago about attempting to use stylers in longer-than-your-arms hair and I just couldn't get my head around it :lol:

For me that's a no-go.

LadyCelestina
May 19th, 2019, 12:50 AM
Yup, I remember, that's why I asked :)

Lady Stardust
May 19th, 2019, 10:10 AM
Very pretty waves MusicalSpoons :) Those definitely look like 2a waves at the ends. I know some people say their waves don’t come out until waist length, for example. I don’t know whether they choose a looser pattern for the top in those circumstances or type the whole length together.

I think you could legitimately type yourself 2a, or 1c/2a.

MusicalSpoons
May 19th, 2019, 04:23 PM
Very pretty waves MusicalSpoons :) Those definitely look like 2a waves at the ends. I know some people say their waves don’t come out until waist length, for example. I don’t know whether they choose a looser pattern for the top in those circumstances or type the whole length together.

I think you could legitimately type yourself 2a, or 1c/2a.

Thank you :)

I've had 1c/2a and 2a mentioned elsewhere too, and after mulling it over I think I'll go with 1c/2a. I'm truly shocked to even end up anywhere near the 2s, let alone having one foot in them :D

Who knows what the next 6-12 months will bring?!

Entangled
May 19th, 2019, 06:50 PM

You could be my hair twin!https://i.imgur.com/qlKQV5l.jpg

lithostoic
May 20th, 2019, 04:58 PM
My hair is a lot like yours and Entangled. I just call it 1c/2a :P

LadyCelestina
May 21st, 2019, 01:08 AM
Entangled, if I didn't know it's your hair I would have absolutely thought it's another typing pic by MusicalSpoons, lol you two really are twins :lol:

MusicalSpoons
May 21st, 2019, 09:49 AM
Oh my goodness Entangled, I saw a pic of yours a while ago when wondering about a hair twin and thought 'huh, that could be me if I were a bit wavier' :grin: but WOW yep definitely hair twins now!

Lithostoic yay! :D

Lady Stardust
May 21st, 2019, 10:25 AM
Fancy finding waves and a hair twin at the same time! (Autocorrect changed that to hairy win...quite apt!)

There’s a striking resemblance, both beautiful :)

Agava
May 25th, 2019, 02:23 AM
I've read all posts, and I think that LadyStardust and I might have similar story. My hair also go crazy frizzy on a rainy day ( I live in NL).
I've just decided not to expect or chase straight hair, but focus on a good in the wavy I own, which is going to help me to forget about length gain per month.
I'm going to give myself a chance to have a wilder hair look for the first time in my life, although it's completely not my style, but who knows, maybe I was wrong all my life.
These days I have to measure my hair. I guess I could expect some shrinkage, too.
MusicalSpoon, I see three types of texture in your hair. Is your hair easy to curl, for instance, to form waves after having a braid, bun...?
My texture is , I guess, just like yours at SL. I'm just curious to see which direction my hair is going to follow in next period.
I might not be yours and LadyStardust and Ylva's hair-twin, but we have a lot in common, I would say. I'm glad I found this thread!

MusicalSpoons
May 25th, 2019, 09:41 AM
Hmm, I'm not really sure. It definitely kinks after bunning, and waves after braiding but they're not defined waves and I don't know how long they hold.

It will be really interesting to see how yours turns out in a year or so :D Maybe we need a general hairtyping thread where we can post our typing pics over time :hmm:

Agava
May 25th, 2019, 10:17 AM
The same happens to my hair after updo or so. It changes the form quickly but also the waves (or whatever appears) get softer soon.

You mean that we need a general hairtyping thread with actual pictures? That would be interesting, but messy, too.
I think that it's enough if they only give more examples for every type, because 3 pictures per type are not enough, in my opinion. Especially if presented only on long hair similar cut.

lapushka
May 25th, 2019, 10:22 AM
I've read all posts, and I think that LadyStardust and I might have similar story. My hair also go crazy frizzy on a rainy day ( I live in NL).
I've just decided not to expect or chase straight hair, but focus on a good in the wavy I own, which is going to help me to forget about length gain per month.
I'm going to give myself a chance to have a wilder hair look for the first time in my life, although it's completely not my style, but who knows, maybe I was wrong all my life.
These days I have to measure my hair. I guess I could expect some shrinkage, too.
MusicalSpoon, I see three types of texture in your hair. Is your hair easy to curl, for instance, to form waves after having a braid, bun...?
My texture is , I guess, just like yours at SL. I'm just curious to see which direction my hair is going to follow in next period.
I might not be yours and LadyStardust and Ylva's hair-twin, but we have a lot in common, I would say. I'm glad I found this thread!

Experimenting is *fun* - it should be fun! Enjoy!!!

MusicalSpoons
May 25th, 2019, 10:28 AM
The same happens to my hair after updo or so. It changes the form quickly but also the waves (or whatever appears) get softer soon.

You mean that we need a general hairtyping thread with actual pictures? That would be interesting, but messy, too.
I think that it's enough if they only give more examples for every type, because 3 pictures per type are not enough, in my opinion. Especially if presented only on long hair similar cut.

Oh, that's not quite what I meant - we already have the reference post stickied with the descriptions of each hairtype anyway :) I just thought it might be interesting to have a general thread for people to post theirs; it wouldn't be for reference but just somewhere to collate all sorts of hairtyping pics, and fun to see how people's change with time (if they do). So many of us have found our hairtype changes with time and better care than pre-LHC, it was just a thought that's crossed my mind a couple of times. It would be messy and disorganised though, I agree :lol:

Yes, waves have a habit of dropping out! ;) that's why the hairtyping requirements specify no manipulation, because virtually all textures get looser with manipulation or even just time and gravity, especially weaker waves in hair that doesn't hold texture well. (Some people's holds texture really well, others' hair just laughs and starts dropping it as soon as it's dry - it is what it is :shrug:)

Agava
May 25th, 2019, 11:00 AM
Lapushka, thanks! In my case, accepting natural texture is much more difficult then accepting natural colour.

But seeing my hair is categorised as 1c or even 2a, is just a good eye opener that I'm not nice to my hair, wanting it to be straight. And I think I should ( and I want) let myself see my hair in it's nature, and only then, maybe to decide if I need/want to change it.
I'm really thankful for this forum that exists and all people who directly or indirectly influenced on my decision to get to know and accept my natural hair texture. :blossom:

Agava
May 25th, 2019, 11:08 AM
Oh, that's not quite what I meant - we already have the reference post stickied with the descriptions of each hairtype anyway :) I just thought it might be interesting to have a general thread for people to post theirs; it wouldn't be for reference but just somewhere to collate all sorts of hairtyping pics, and fun to see how people's change with time (if they do). So many of us have found our hairtype changes with time and better care than pre-LHC, it was just a thought that's crossed my mind a couple of times. It would be messy and disorganised though, I agree :lol:

Yes, waves have a habit of dropping out! ;) that's why the hairtyping requirements specify no manipulation, because virtually all textures get looser with manipulation or even just time and gravity, especially weaker waves in hair that doesn't hold texture well. (Some people's holds texture really well, others' hair just laughs and starts dropping it as soon as it's dry - it is what it is :shrug:)

Yes, I understood well, that you would like a thread where we can post our pictures from different periods. But then I said if they ( admins) would only add more examples on the sticky thread, that would be also fine.

Lady Stardust
May 25th, 2019, 01:37 PM
How exciting Agava. I think that working with your texture can only be a good thing. My hair isn’t enormously wavy but I feel like I’m torturing it if I try to make it straight these days, and it doesn’t work anyway, it goes bumpy.

MusicalSpoons I like the idea of a dedicated thread for evolving hairtypes.

Corvana
May 25th, 2019, 11:10 PM

My hair really annoys me with this! And it annoys me specifically because I can curl my hair (rag curls tends to be my go-to, but I'm hitting lengths where that's no fun :laugh:) and they'll stay for weeks if I let them! They'll be quite tight ringlets for the first four days (I'd say 3c?), and then loosen to 3a or so and just... stay there! For ages!

But if I just wash and dry my hair? I'll have waves for 24 hours max!

Rude :rollin:

Agava
May 26th, 2019, 01:06 AM
How exciting Agava. I think that working with your texture can only be a good thing. My hair isn’t enormously wavy but I feel like I’m torturing it if I try to make it straight these days, and it doesn’t work anyway, it goes bumpy.

MusicalSpoons I like the idea of a dedicated thread for evolving hairtypes.

Mine can stay straight untill the next wash ( I wash my hair mostly every other day), but my hemline isn't representative anymore to enjoy the straightnes. That is one more reason to leave it alone with it's texture, at least until the next trim. Totally curious and a bit impatient :D