PDA

View Full Version : How Long Did It Take You To Find A Good Hair Care Routine?

nycelle
April 18th, 2018, 11:54 AM
Since I got serious about hair care, it's taken me since January, to find what (I hope), really works.
I think I finally found my routine, I think. But won't know for certain until after 3-4 more washes. I want to give it more than a month to make sure.

One of my problems is I'm a product junkie - always looking for something better. But in the last month, I've finally fallen into a routine with the same conditioner and leave-in. Was only looking for a shampoo and I think I've found it. Anyway, it's taken me almost four months to find products (fingers crossed) that work, along with a technique that I'm happy with.

So how long did it take you guys? Or are you still looking?

MusicalSpoons
April 18th, 2018, 12:15 PM
I'm still tweaking, but I'd say probably just over a year to find a good routine. It's not perfect though, by any means, hence still tweaking - I'm happy enough not to be still hunting for something better, but I am still open to trying new things. My scalp and hair are happy, and I needed any routine to be simple and minimal (and cheap!). So that's what it is, and it works well enough.

(Though when my current stash of conditioner runs out, I'll be on the hunt for something to replace it as I can't find it anywhere - kinda dreading it, but I have long enough that I don't need to start hunting just yet.)

ravenskey
April 18th, 2018, 12:43 PM
Since January I've pared my routine down to a minimum and found a routine and products that suit me but I am looking to cut down even more this summer and go no-poo so that may require some tweaking.

Aredhel
April 18th, 2018, 12:53 PM
6 or so months of intense experimenting, but do tweak it occasionally based on the needs of my scalp/hair. :)

lapushka
April 18th, 2018, 02:18 PM
I do use the same method (WCC) for washing, and I sulfate wash, but I do switch up my products frequently, especially now that I am trying to use up my oldest products. I do an oil rinse (22 consecutive weeks now) as well, and end with the LOC/LCO method.

Corvana
April 18th, 2018, 02:39 PM
Hmmm... I think my routine now is pretty good. I could maybe add a thing here or there (like a gel to my LOC or something like that), but overall it's pretty good. I think I've been using this routine now since January? So a good while! And my waves have only gotten stronger, so it's bound to be good.

Oh! No I suppose if you count the "no combing after conditioner" thing, then it's been like a month hehe.

Glitch
April 18th, 2018, 03:29 PM
A year of on and off experimenting. My wavy pattern is different after each wash, and changes daily as well (this lovely thread (http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=145752) shows the varieties of ever-changing waves lol) so it was very tough! In the end I realized I simply have a preference for a different look and the styling routine was a lot simpler, but I sure learned a lot :)

Wendyp
April 18th, 2018, 03:32 PM
“Product junkie” lol guilty! How long? Well if you count how many times I have been on lhc ..seriously since the site first started, and didn’t follow through with the routines I saw on here, about 20 years! Lol. I have a good routine now, now is the boring part sit on my thumbs and wait. :toast:

JennGalt
April 18th, 2018, 03:43 PM
All my life. Seriously, I've only had a good routine for maybe the last six months. It happened mostly by accident after I noticed one day my hair came down to my waist and realized for the first time that my hair actually does possess the ability to grow past APL. I've made a few adjustments since then and arrived at my current routine.

ravenheather
April 18th, 2018, 03:44 PM
A few years to find what I really like. There were other routines that worked well enough, but I'm happier now.

Hairkay
April 18th, 2018, 03:49 PM
Many years because I wasn't really trying. I got to a point where I thought there was very little options available to me and stuck with the same stuff for years. It took my skin sensitivity getting worse for me to make changes and decide what I really wanted for my hair.

FennFire911
April 18th, 2018, 05:08 PM
I had a routine for years that I didn’t know wasn’t very good. Then I ended up here, just had to try ALL the new things I learnt lol and for the past few months I feel I’ve gotten the hang of it with a healthier routine. Took me about a year after first reading here to simmer down after having to try all the amazing oils, and techniques, and brushes haha
I also found out that I no longer have perfectly straight hair, so that probably cost me a few months of experimenting as I tried to learn how to care for wavy hair after a lifetime of having straight hair.

MoonRabbit
April 18th, 2018, 05:16 PM
My hair likes a simple routine, shampoo, condition, and deep condition every other week. Now finding the right products is the struggle I have. Still working on that.

I find satisfaction in knowing what my hair doesn't like. Since joining lhc. I've found my hair does not like oil, leave in, shampoos with cones, certain ingredients, and being washed frequently.

Dark40
April 18th, 2018, 05:34 PM
Since I got serious about hair care, it's taken me since January, to find what (I hope), really works.
I think I finally found my routine, I think. But won't know for certain until after 3-4 more washes. I want to give it more than a month to make sure.

One of my problems is I'm a product junkie - always looking for something better. But in the last month, I've finally fallen into a routine with the same conditioner and leave-in. Was only looking for a shampoo and I think I've found it. Anyway, it's taken me almost four months to find products (fingers crossed) that work, along with a technique that I'm happy with.

So how long did it take you guys? Or are you still looking?

Since joining the LHC it took me a month to find a good hair care routine. I'm like you, I'm a product junkie too! :) I love trying out new hair products to see works best for me.

AutobotsAttack
April 18th, 2018, 05:43 PM
To be honest I’m always learning. My routine is always evolving into whatever I need. As my hair gets longer it’s needs change slightly or drastically, depending. Even when I first started my hair journey, I just made sure I had the basics down, and watched and waited until my hair gave me feedback. Same with my hair now. Of course I’ve bought better products now, and learned how to keep my hair up with no manipulation and protective styles, but im always learning and doing something according to what my hair likes or has decided it doesn’t like any longer.

chiapommama
April 18th, 2018, 09:39 PM
Haven't really found one yet. Trying the CG method right now, actually modified, using sulfate free shampoo instead of co washing. Was using Coney stuff, but it was causing a lot of white dots, so was ready for a change.

Jo Ann
April 19th, 2018, 07:37 AM
About a year, here--between finding a shampoo/conditioner combination that my hair liked AND tweaking the amount of coconut oil to use when my hair was wet, definitely about a year. It's held me in good stead, though, since I *gasp* bleached the sides and back of my hair so I can experiment with different Manic Panic dyes, because the routine I developed and the products I'm using have worked to keep my hair looking it's best! The tips I've picked up here have helped a lot!

Note to Lapushka: You were correct--it IS addicting and maddening, especially when you're never satisfied with the results. I had to learn to curb my perfectionism. :flower:

nycelle
April 19th, 2018, 07:55 AM
Interesting to read everyones experiences.

and a :toast: to all the product junkies..lol

My current experiment is seeing how my hair does without cones.
In the past, the cone free products I've used (Phyto and Aveeda conditioners) left my hair in horrible shape. But I didn't even realize until this week that the conditioner I'm using now, is also cone free and seems to work great with the cone free leave-in. My hair feels like silk, even after using a charcoal clarifying shampoo. Plus, almost 0 breakage. This is huge for me. I love this combo so much, I'm scared to try anything else right now. Fingers crossed it holds up.

Joules
April 19th, 2018, 08:43 AM
Depends on what you mean by "finding a good hair care routine".

Finding a good routine is one thing, proving that this routine is really good for your hair long-term is a completely different task.

Since December 2009 (this was when I decided to take really good care of my hair and grow it super long and healthy) I've been through about four different routines. All of them lasted anything between 7 months and three years, all of them proved to be not absolutely perfect. My current routine is a number five, it's only a couple of months old, and we'll see how it goes.

So I'm with people who are constantly changing things and learning new stuff.

Jo Ann
April 19th, 2018, 09:08 AM
The trick is to find the products, the Holy Grails if you will, that really work for your hair. When I change up products in my routine, I usually change out a shampoo, my first conditioner (I WCC) or my third element in my LOC routines--put another way, I only change up one product at a time. For example, since my hair started REALLY turning grey (and I started dying part of it), I've incorporated a purple shampoo to bring out the silver and "brighten" the blonde, but only use it about once a month.

Please note, YMMV :)

Reservechic
April 19th, 2018, 09:12 AM
I would have to say that I actually came upon my best hair care routine to-date very early this year. So, it's definitely taken me quite a number of years for sure. I decided to switch my hair care regimen over to using all vegan and cruelty free products. I currently use all natural products on my hair, that have a lot of certified organic ingredients in them. And, I deep condition every week without fail now using my hair steamer. For someone like me who has naturally very dry hair and severe scalp eczema, the use of a hair steamer while dc'ing, definitely helps with not only providing my hair with greater softness and manageability, but it also helps with the symptoms that I experience with my scalp eczema too. Hair steamers are costly, but they are definitely worth the investment for sure.

nycelle
April 24th, 2018, 07:09 AM
I would have to say that I actually came upon my best hair care routine to-date very early this year. So, it's definitely taken me quite a number of years for sure. I decided to switch my hair care regimen over to using all vegan and cruelty free products. I currently use all natural products on my hair, that have a lot of certified organic ingredients in them. And, I deep condition every week without fail now using my hair steamer. For someone like me who has naturally very dry hair and severe scalp eczema, the use of a hair steamer while dc'ing, definitely helps with not only providing my hair with greater softness and manageability, but it also helps with the symptoms that I experience with my scalp eczema too. Hair steamers are costly, but they are definitely worth the investment for sure.

I've never heard of hair steamers.. What are they?

chomsky
April 24th, 2018, 07:21 AM
Years. I like my routine now but it will probably change again as I try new shampoos and topical treatments again.

FaerieKitty
April 24th, 2018, 09:37 AM
I have never really done much with my hair until the last few years. 3 or so I think, maybe a bit longer. Started with no poo, then CG method. I have each of those many many months. I have had a few different ones. I'm not much of a product person. Currently a CWC once a week, with a hair towel dry then air dry. That's it. I'm sure this will alter as it gets longer, also have started to see grey so that will change things I'm sure. Ever evolving.

nycelle
April 24th, 2018, 09:59 AM
I have a feeling that come summer, my routine will change.

I know in the hotter months, I need to wash my hair more often- I hate a sweaty scalp. Currently I shampoo every 4 days (sometimes three). When it gets warmer, it's more like 3-4 times a week. I'm wondering if the products I'm using are going to be too heavy when used that often... Hope not.

Milady_DeWinter
April 24th, 2018, 11:17 AM
About 1 year. So much trial-error here. Now I'm quite happy with it, at least by now!

trolleypup
April 24th, 2018, 07:09 PM
A few months...I did some experimentation than went to WO...eventually that was too much work and I gradually changed to a modified SC.

Alissalocks
April 24th, 2018, 10:30 PM
I kinda got over excited about trying different products and habits in the first six months after landing on LHC, but now tend to just go with the path of least resistance and stick to what I'm used to.

I do experiment a lot with deposit dyes though, which keeps me happy when needing to change things up.

Rebeccalaurenxx
April 25th, 2018, 12:22 AM
Took me several years because I was very hesitant to try certain things.
The last year has been the best routine for me. And I think my hair is liking it.
But I think its important to not hold onto a particular routine or specific products.
Stuff is discontinued all the time -- so its best to learn what INGREDIENTS work best in your hair.
That way you can indeed be a "junkie" but also you know the prizes you have collected will all for the most part work for you!
I no longer "collect" products, because I am trying to use up everything I have and live more simple.

nycelle
April 25th, 2018, 07:27 AM
Took me several years because I was very hesitant to try certain things.
The last year has been the best routine for me. And I think my hair is liking it.
But I think its important to not hold onto a particular routine or specific products.
Stuff is discontinued all the time -- so its best to learn what INGREDIENTS work best in your hair.
That way you can indeed be a "junkie" but also you know the prizes you have collected will all for the most part work for you!
I no longer "collect" products, because I am trying to use up everything I have and live more simple.

Interesting about the ingredients comment. Right now I'm trying to figure out the ingredient that was causing my hair to shed. Since switching products, my shedding decreased to about 25-30 strands a day (some days less.)
Since I never had abnormally high shedding, I didn't realize that something in the other products wasn't working for me. I just can't figure out what the ingredient is..

ExpectoPatronum
April 25th, 2018, 09:43 AM
I'd say it took me about two years. The first year was a waste because I treated my hair like it was straight and it fought me the entire way. No wonder nothing worked! Once I realized I have curly hair, it took me another year of experimenting to get something that works consistently. I save a lot more money now that my experimentation phase is over :)

EdG
April 25th, 2018, 09:56 AM
I think I change my hair care routine about once or twice a decade. Since 1990, I went from straight shampoo to diluted shampoo to water-only, from daily washing to washing two or three times per week, and from plastic combs to finger-untangling to finger-untangling plus wooden combs. All of these worked with varying degrees of success.
Ed