PDA

View Full Version : Does anyone else have this issue? Thinning front hair?

gatablanca
April 18th, 2018, 05:38 AM
Hi everyone :)
I have pretty thick, medium thick hair! The kind that gets everywhere! Lately I’ve been feeling like I’m going bald, despite having a lot of hair. I also feel like I have less hair at the front of my head when I pull it back! Not totally bald, but just a little thinner I guess. Does anyone else have this issue too?

Stray_mind
April 18th, 2018, 05:42 AM
I have pretty thick, medium thick hair! The kind that gets everywhere! Lately I’ve been feeling like I’m going bald, despite having a lot of hair. I also feel like I have less hair at the front of my head when I pull it back! Not totally bald, but just a little thinner I guess. Does anyone else have this issue too?

Do you wear your hair pulled back often? Sometimes it can cause thinning at the front and the sides. :)

gatablanca
April 18th, 2018, 06:36 AM
Nope! It’s always down! It’s hard to explain. I have hair there, just kinda thin. Also curly ish hair so idk if that has anything to do with it

MusicalSpoons
April 18th, 2018, 06:53 AM
My hairline hairs are finer than the rest of my hair, and more easily damaged because I have no suitable way of protecting them.
(I have had phases when the hair was definitely more sparse there but that was due to trichotillomania, so hopefully not relevant in your case :p )

Margarita
April 18th, 2018, 07:38 AM
I also have medium hair, and just a bit thinning roots without saying my hair is unhealthy. I have natural bald spots on the front sides of my head when i pull my bangs back and its actually baby hair but definietly looks "bald". I dont think you should worry about it, a lot of people have naturally "bald" spots on their heads. I would say to you to continue putting oils. I hope i helped you, have a nice day.

lapushka
April 18th, 2018, 08:35 AM
I also have medium hair, and just a bit thinning roots without saying my hair is unhealthy. I have natural bald spots on the front sides of my head when i pull my bangs back and its actually baby hair but definietly looks "bald". I dont think you should worry about it, a lot of people have naturally "bald" spots on their heads. I would say to you to continue putting oils. I hope i helped you, have a nice day.

Beware, because some people can have more shedding when oils are applied to the scalp. Also, when conditioner is applied to the scalp.

Joules
April 18th, 2018, 08:45 AM

Hair is naturally thinner at the hairline than it is on the top of your head and many people have baby hair along their hairline that is fine and thin. There's that.

If your hairline is thinning and it was quite dense before, then I would think it's either traction alopecia from wearing hair up too tight, or hormonal issues. Have you had your blood tested for the latter?

zashin66
April 18th, 2018, 09:06 AM
Beware, because some people can have more shedding when oils are applied to the scalp. Also, when conditioner is applied to the scalp.

Unfortunately, my hair is coarse all the way down to the roots. If I want to have soft hair I had to condition the way to the scalp. If I don't do it all the way down then my ends feel great and the hairs close to the scalp feel horrible. I want the soft silky feeling so I'm addicted to 'cones and conditioners all the way through. My hair tangles way too much otherwise and I can't stand how it feels.:rant:

Kake
April 18th, 2018, 09:53 AM

Yes, I do.

I've always had thinner hair at the front, which was exacerbated by post partum shed. It didn't grow back, and I had a further big shed which seems to have also had a long term effect.

I wash every 2 days, and am careful about how I style buns etc. My hair colour and scalp colour are pretty similar, which helps disguise gaps.

DweamGoiL
April 18th, 2018, 09:59 AM
Ruling out everything else. I would say it also depends on your age. I am in my late 40's and I've noticed some female pattern baldness coming along for the last 10 years. My hair was a iii thickness up to my late 30's and now is a ii. It starts with thinning at the front and along the natural part. Most females do not go bald entirely just gradual thinning over time. Do the older women in your family have full thick hair or see-thru canopies?

lapushka
April 18th, 2018, 10:01 AM
It is of course open to interpretation. Does the OP mean actual thinning, or just the "natural" thinner bits that *everybody* has at the front. :?: Maybe we need a picture? OP, could you possibly post one?

bparnell75
April 18th, 2018, 11:34 AM
Yes, but also thinning in general. I remember my Dad's mom had very thin hair even in her 50's when she died. My mom and all her female family had thick hair but her dad was bald. Cabooki is my friend.

cjk
April 18th, 2018, 11:49 AM
Yes, but I'm trying to work with it. This is today, a half up.

https://i.imgur.com/NUAgTB4.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/ZTviPVj.jpg

lapushka
April 18th, 2018, 11:53 AM
cjk, that is exactly my mom's color (she dyes it) and the way she "poofs" it up to prevent scalp cleavage. I thought for a sec. I was looking at my mom's hair. :) Her hair is between shoulder & APL.

cjk
April 18th, 2018, 12:01 PM
cjk, I thought for a sec. I was looking at my mom's hair. :)

That makes me feel better. Obviously you have a superior pedigree.

lapushka
April 18th, 2018, 12:04 PM
That makes me feel better. Obviously you have a superior pedigree.

Me? Nooo! Why? :) Hey, I have health issues. Plus, I can be glad my hair grew back age 13/14 when I had bald patches; and let's not forget I'm almost menopausal, so let's see what that's gonna do. Yikes!

Margarita
April 18th, 2018, 12:29 PM
Yes, but I'm trying to work with it. This is today, a half up.

https://i.imgur.com/NUAgTB4.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/ZTviPVj.jpg

Wow, your hair looks fantastic! So thick and beautiful waves =)

cjk
April 18th, 2018, 03:19 PM
Wow, your hair looks fantastic! So thick and beautiful waves =)

Well thank you. But it's disturbingly thin in that area.

I'm just experimenting with different styles to make it look like it isn't.

As the old song said, accentuate the positive. De emphasize the negative. And hang on to the affirmative.

cathair
April 20th, 2018, 06:00 AM
I have thinner hair at the front. It's just not very densely packed.

Also, I have many pure white steaks mixed in with dark hair. Because my skin is very pale, there's no contrast between hair and skin. Where the white hair is, or when white roots come in I look bald in those areas.

I wondered if you might have some lighter hair mixed in there too? I can't see large areas of scalp in your pictures, especially on top.