PDA

View Full Version : How Do You Protect Your Hair in the Summer?

nycelle
April 17th, 2018, 09:02 AM
Unfortunately, I have a lot of environmental damage, mostly caused by laying out in the sun.

Do you guys do anything different in the summer? Are there some oils that protect from UV better than others? Can I just use regular sunblock in my hair?

I want to avoid as much damage as I can this summer, and I'd rather not have to wear hats the entire time.

SnowDancer
April 17th, 2018, 09:25 AM
I have extremely fair skin and have already had to have some moles removed so it's definitely a sun hat for me.

I wouldn't put regular sunblock in your hair. It's loaded with chemicals. Maybe an all natural sunblock would be okay but it might combine with the sweat and cause extra buildup on your scalp.

How do you feel about a thin scarf?

nycelle
April 17th, 2018, 09:55 AM
I have extremely fair skin and have already had to have some moles removed so it's definitely a sun hat for me.

I wouldn't put regular sunblock in your hair. It's loaded with chemicals. Maybe an all natural sunblock would be okay but it might combine with the sweat and cause extra buildup on your scalp.

How do you feel about a thin scarf?

I've seen hair products with UV protection but they're all heavy oils or creams that do various things. I finally found products that work very well for me, so I didn't want to add or change anything..

I would do a scarf or hat at the beach. But since we walk everywhere here, like when we shop and run errands, I was hoping to find something that I can just put in my hair for the time I spend running around.

enting
April 17th, 2018, 09:57 AM
I would go with either a scarf or a parasol, myself. They don't make my hair greasy and they don't wear off.

Larki
April 17th, 2018, 10:21 AM
I've seen hair products with UV protection but they're all heavy oils or creams that do various things. I finally found products that work very well for me, so I didn't want to add or change anything..

I would do a scarf or hat at the beach. But since we walk everywhere here, like when we shop and run errands, I was hoping to find something that I can just put in my hair for the time I spend running around.

I have a super duper light spray leave in conditioner called Sun Veil, it is basically sunblock for your hair. I can post a picture when i get home, don't remember the brand. It works very well, when I remember to use it! I'm not usually outside for more than five minutes a day lol, so don't often need to use it.

Lady Stardust
April 17th, 2018, 10:25 AM
I use a UV protection Buff which has Coolmax to stop your head getting sweaty. It’s lightweight and folds really small so I can put it in my bag in case I need it.

lapushka
April 17th, 2018, 10:28 AM
I still have some Elsève hairserum spray (Elvive in other countries) that is for UV protection (it's old and long discontinued) and for swimming. The idea is you spray it in your hair after swimming or before going out into the sun.

I am going to be using it to just spray a little on my lengths after washing, I think. As extra protection, and after my LOC/LCO method.

nycelle
April 17th, 2018, 10:46 AM
Thanks everyone.

@Larki - Is it made by Phyto?

@Lady Stardust - I had to look what this was. Now that I've seen them, I recognize them. Many outdoor workers wear these here in the summer, I never knew what they were.

Larki
April 17th, 2018, 10:57 AM
Mine is from Alterna: https://www.hollar.com/products/alterna-bamboo-summer-sun-spray-4-2-fl-oz-protective-shine-veil?utm_source=google_pla&utm_campaign=382003838&utm_medium=cpc&utm_content=57177&htm_tid=sem&gclid=Cj0KCQjwttbWBRDyARIsAN8zhbKeImMTNYeMhoNbfyLT VL5qiDfugCDdigAZOufo7Xr4CSA2TRBq-JgaAu0KEALw_wcB

EdG
April 17th, 2018, 11:34 AM
I try to do outdoor activities during the late afternoon or evening.
Ed

gossamer
April 17th, 2018, 11:36 AM
I don't protect my hair from sun in summer (unless you count when I carry an umbrella some days to protect my skin from the sun). Do need to lay out in the sun? I'd be more worried about the effect that has on skin (the stats here are eyeopening: https://www.skincancer.org/skin-cancer-information/skin-cancer-facts) than hair, actually.

Joules
April 17th, 2018, 11:41 AM
I protect my hair by not going in the sun. Very useful advice, I know :D I just hate being in the sun, it makes me feel weird and sluggish, so I try my very hardest to avoid it at all cost.

I protect myself with heavy duty sunscreens or a parasol. Sunscreen implies that I move my hair out of the way completely in a bun or something like that, so it is a form of protection itself. I don't work outside, so it is usually enough for me, I don't mind my baby hair getting lightened a bit. If I'm going to the beach, I heavily oil my hair and put it in two French or Dutch braids (or not, I like swimming with my hair down, like a mermaid :) I still oil it though). Never had any problems.

nycelle
April 17th, 2018, 11:54 AM
I use sunscreens - SPF 50 on my face, and 30 on my body all summer long. They seem to protect pretty well as I don't burn, and only get a little pink.
This summer I won't be laying out as much as I've done in the past though, since my schedule just won't let me.

But I do love the water, so the beach, or the lake at my house is a must on the weekends. My husband used to sail (competitively in his 20's) so I can't say no more water sports for us either. It would kill him.

Am gonna look into the Alterna one that Larki recommended, or find something similar.

Appreciate the input ladies and gentleman.

lithostoic
April 17th, 2018, 12:08 PM
My hair doesn't mind the sun! If it's windy I'll braid or bun it.

Dark40
April 17th, 2018, 12:56 PM
In the summer I protect my hair by wearing a lot of updos, and using special essential oils from UV rays.

nycelle
April 17th, 2018, 01:12 PM

The sun gave me highlights over the years. My color's gone from a light-medium brown, to blonde at the very tips in some areas.

In the summer I protect my hair by wearing a lot of updos, and using special essential oils from UV rays.

Can you post which oils?

Dark40
April 17th, 2018, 01:20 PM
The sun gave me highlights over the years. My color's gone from a light-medium brown, to blonde at the very tips in some areas.

Can you post which oils?

Sure, I use olive oil, tea tree oil, carrot oil, and broccolli seed oil. I have to look up where you can purchase the broccolli seed oil but it is excellent to protect your hair from sun dryness and damage.

Flowerness
April 17th, 2018, 01:22 PM
When it is hot out, I braid my hair, and put on a ball cap. Ever since I was little, the sun has bleached my hair quickly so I've been thinking about this very question lately. Also, even when it is just a little bit warm out when I go for a walk for exercise (I love walking outdoors!), I've put my hand on my hair only to feel my hair is crazy hot! My hair gets as hot as when I used to blow dry it! How bad is that for your hair, I wonder? I've seen some sunscreen sprays out there, for face/body and hair! (I did some looking after reading a story about a woman who got skin cancer where her hair parted. Spray SPF that can be used on hair and face/body would be great for that!)

Dark40
April 17th, 2018, 01:25 PM

Can you post which oils?

I found where you can purchase the broccolli seed oil. You can purchase it at: www.fromnaturewithlove.com/product.asp?product_id=OILBROCCCPUS574

ravenskey
April 17th, 2018, 01:40 PM

Same here - not that I have to worry about sun that much where I live, always cloudy and damp.

Joules
April 17th, 2018, 01:45 PM
My hair gets as hot as when I used to blow dry it! How bad is that for your hair, I wonder?
Just as bas as a blow dryer! Heat is heat no matter where it comes from. When I was 15 I had to spend a few hours under the sun every day during a couple of weeks, I was wearing a ponytail every single day and by the end of it my hair was fried. I didn't know much about hair care and what to do with fried hair back then, I just bought the greasiest heaviest leave-in I was able to find (it was something "extra repairing" from Pantene), slathered my hair in it and hoped for the best. It kinda helped, but kinda not. I grew it out and cut it off eventually.

Also, sun radiation is quite bad for hair follicles.

MusicalSpoons
April 17th, 2018, 01:55 PM
When it is hot out, I braid my hair, and put on a ball cap. Ever since I was little, the sun has bleached my hair quickly so I've been thinking about this very question lately. Also, even when it is just a little bit warm out when I go for a walk for exercise (I love walking outdoors!), I've put my hand on my hair only to feel my hair is crazy hot! My hair gets as hot as when I used to blow dry it! How bad is that for your hair, I wonder? I've seen some sunscreen sprays out there, for face/body and hair! (I did some looking after reading a story about a woman who got skin cancer where her hair parted. Spray SPF that can be used on hair and face/body would be great for that!)

That's a very good point, I forgot that my hair does that too (I don't have any frame of reference for heat styling though). For that, I imagine the the only truly effective barrier would be material that deflects heat?

I don't usually have the energy to be out in the sun very often nowadays, but there are still occasions when I have no choice so it is something I shall have to consider!

[EDIT: I should clarify that by 'out in the sun' I mean out and about, e.g. walking, on holiday, working in the garden, or whatever. I've never sunbathed and never will, and if I know I'll be out for much longer than 15-20 minutes I will always use sun protection.]

Lady Stardust
April 17th, 2018, 02:02 PM
That's a very good point, I forgot that my hair does that too (I don't have any frame of reference for heat styling though). For that, I imagine the the only truly effective barrier would be material that deflects heat?

I don't usually have the energy to be out in the sun very often nowadays, but there are still occasions when I have no choice so it is something I shall have to consider!

It’s not just me wandering around feeling how hot my hair is then! That’s why it’s handy to keep the Buff with me. It definitely helps, my hair hasn’t lightened in the sun at all since I started using it.

MusicalSpoons
April 17th, 2018, 02:42 PM
It’s not just me wandering around feeling how hot my hair is then! That’s why it’s handy to keep the Buff with me. It definitely helps, my hair hasn’t lightened in the sun at all since I started using it.

Heh, I actually miss my natural highlights since I've not been out so much; I'm torn between knowing that it's good to avoid sun damage, and really wanting my light golden streaks back because they were prettttyyyy :cool: :hmm:

ETA: the natural highlights were from incidental sun exposure, not baking myself or my hair :lol:

Aredhel
April 17th, 2018, 02:50 PM
Me and my hair don't get too much exposure to the sun in the summer because although I love the summer, I actually hate the sun (I find it way too intense) and I simply avoid going out during the day (much less lie in the sun... nope, not this girl!:p)... I go out in the afternoon instead. When I am out in the sun though, I don't do anything special to protect my hair, I guess I'm just lazy. If I cared to though, I'd likely wear a silk scarf to cover all of my hair.

Lady Stardust
April 17th, 2018, 03:01 PM
Heh, I actually miss my natural highlights since I've not been out so much; I'm torn between knowing that it's good to avoid sun damage, and really wanting my light golden streaks back because they were prettttyyyy :cool: :hmm:

ETA: the natural highlights were from incidental sun exposure, not baking myself or my hair :lol:

Oh I love the colour of sun lightened hair, but my hair just gives up if it gets to that point! It’s quite strange having darker hair than I would usually, but my hair is in much better condition for it. I envy those who can get away with natural highlights :-)

Sarahlabyrinth
April 17th, 2018, 03:02 PM
I try to do outdoor activities during the late afternoon or evening.
Ed

So do I and at other times I wear a hat.

nycelle
April 17th, 2018, 03:14 PM
I also like the highlights I get with the sun, but the lighter they get, the drier they become and the damage is just bleh.

Going to try different things and see what works best.

Unlike most here (it seems?) I love the sun. I love the way it feels on my face/skin, I like the mood it puts me in, it just makes me happy :). What I don't like is the humidity we get here.. just horrible.

Zalicat
April 17th, 2018, 04:23 PM
I'm aussie so I guess thats kind of synomonous with hot weather and manny beach trips. I usually keep it moisturised before and after going to the beach and keep it in a bun with a hat over the top. I think next summer I might look for a hair sunscreen, theres one I saw called vitaponte in the pharmacy but it also had heaps of siliconeS

Ligeia Noire
April 17th, 2018, 05:23 PM
I walk everywhere and I live in a high altitude place. So the sun is always there even in the winter the risk is high. I never leave the house in brighter days with short sleeves or if I wear a skirt I will wear dark pantyhose. Yup even in summer I do that. When hiking I wear a wide brimmed upf 50 hat. Going to work, strolling or whatever if the sun is out I will always take my parasol with me. Easier than having to apply sticky lotions all the time and it shades my entire body including my hair . I do apply a face lotion every morning with spf though. Yup there is not much choice out there apart from what we have been mentioning. When I was a teenager and early twenties I worked in my parents farm a lot... what could one do.... my hair did get lighter. I don't wear it down anymore though so I worry more about my skin. However with the parasol I protect both. Love it. Best thing I have ever bought.

lucid
April 18th, 2018, 02:42 AM
I love the sun! While I protect my skin from the sun (not block, but enough protection to not get sunburnt), I do not protect my hair from it, and I'm not going to either. I haven't noticed any damage from the sun, and I love the natural highlights it gives, so for me it's worth it. My hair never get especially warm either, a bit warm of course but nothing compared to a drier. I sometimes wear a hat if the sun is strong, but that is to protect my eyes and not having to wear sunglasses.

Dendra
April 18th, 2018, 04:18 AM
I went crazy last summer trying to protect my hair and in the process did way more damage than good! I basically decided to wear a hat whenever I was in the sun, even in 40 degree heat. My scalp hated it and so did I (I've never been a sunhat person as they make me overheat).

This summer I will be leaving my hair au naturel.

If you're sunbathing in hot temperatures, I've read you can mix some natural/non chemical suncream in with water and spritz that on your hair, though this would probably leave a slight greasy film.

Katsura
April 18th, 2018, 04:20 AM
My scalp can't take hats, so I wear a lot of scarves that are of light and breathing material. Cotton mostly.

Glitch
April 18th, 2018, 04:23 AM
I love the sun! While I protect my skin from the sun (not block, but enough protection to not get sunburnt), I do not protect my hair from it, and I'm not going to either. I haven't noticed any damage from the sun, and I love the natural highlights it gives, so for me it's worth it. My hair never get especially warm either, a bit warm of course but nothing compared to a drier. I sometimes wear a hat if the sun is strong, but that is to protect my eyes and not having to wear sunglasses.

I agree, I do the same thing. It feels nice on my hair and gives it soft brown tones. I think as long as it's not excessively in the sun, it's fine :)

Salwety
April 18th, 2018, 04:33 AM
It is up in a bun and covered with a scarf. In addition to leave in conditioner and oils.

AutobotsAttack
April 18th, 2018, 05:14 AM
I usually do a low bun, and spritz the outer part of the bun so it doesn’t get hard or crunchy. My scalp skin loves the sun, since I’m vitamin D deficient. So does my skin. I don’t get sun burned or anything, but I do like to spray my exposed parts of skin with light water as well.

Having dark skin creates a natural sun block, but I get overheated easily so I hydrate from the inside as well.

The sun does lighten my hair. Almost every time I’m out kicking it with family and friends or training in the summer. Technically it’s the breakdown of melanin as to why that happens, and in other words is known as UV damage, but I like the way it looks a bit. I just pay that area more attention with deep conditioning. When they shed the blonde hair goes away.

nycelle
April 18th, 2018, 07:05 AM
The more I think about it, the more I'm determined to use some kind of sun block on my hair. I looked at a few pictures, and the sun damage/highlights are very obvious- mostly from mid length down.
The different colors look pretty (except for a few very dry ends) but the more those parts see the sun, the drier they get.

@autobotsattack - I can't shed them all out at once or I'd go bald...lol.. It seems the sun lightens my entire head/hair.

In this pic, you can easily see the way the sun has lightened my hair over the years, especially at the ends.

http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=30876&d=1521932729

AutobotsAttack
April 18th, 2018, 07:33 AM
The more I think about it, the more I'm determined to use some kind of sun block on my hair. I looked at a few pictures, and the sun damage/highlights are very obvious- mostly from mid length down.
The different colors look pretty (except for a few very dry ends) but the more those parts see the sun, the drier they get.

@autobotsattack - I can't shed them all out at once or I'd go bald...lol.. It seems the sun lightens my entire head/hair.

In this pic, you can easily see the way the sun has lightened my hair over the years, especially at the ends.

http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=30876&d=1521932729

I’m sure my hairs don’t shed all at once either lol. I probably could’ve worded it a bit differently. They kind of shed back to back, gradually up until winter comes and by then most of them kind of just leave.

I haven’t had hair this long before, so when it was shorter they seemed to shed almost completely but I guess it’s because my hair was shorter anyways.

Larki
April 20th, 2018, 08:05 AM
You can use raspberry seed oil: https://www.etsy.com/listing/291783367/virgin-red-raspberry-seed-oil-organic