PDA

View Full Version : Can period truly affect hair?

Margarita
April 17th, 2018, 07:17 AM
So, my period came 3 days ago and my hair act like they have a mind of their own. What i mean, frizzy, curls that wont stay in place and fix even when i put 10 times water throughout the day. Ugh. Now are the days my period is about to end, and then my ovulation takes place. There are sometimes i have good hair days in my period, but some other times i have bad hair day just like now. Ugh. I know its hormonal but at the same time my OCD rings the bell and it make me feel, ugh. So, do you also have bad hair days in your period? :confused::rolleyes:

Joules
April 17th, 2018, 07:33 AM
My scalp becomes a lot oilier a week before my period. I still wash my hair according to my regular schedule, just because laziness and stubborness, but the day leading up to washing becomes significantly less comfortable.

I used to be a member of one Russian hair forum, and ladies there usually had to synchronize root touch-ups with their cycle, for many of them hair dye just straight up didn't work when they were on their period. That's weird.

nycelle
April 17th, 2018, 07:36 AM
Only thing I can imagine is the hormonal fluctuation casing less/more sebum so the hair reacts to that.

lapushka
April 17th, 2018, 10:45 AM
So, my period came 3 days ago and my hair act like they have a mind of their own. What i mean, frizzy, curls that wont stay in place and fix even when i put 10 times water throughout the day. Ugh. Now are the days my period is about to end, and then my ovulation takes place. There are sometimes i have good hair days in my period, but some other times i have bad hair day just like now. Ugh. I know its hormonal but at the same time my OCD rings the bell and it make me feel, ugh. So, do you also have bad hair days in your period? :confused::rolleyes:

Normally your period can only affect your hair if you have an iron shortage (more shedding), but otherwise I doubt that one has anything to do with the other. Bad idea to be OCD right at this moment. :o :flower: But hey, nothing you can do. Just be very careful what you do do to your hair. Maybe lightly mist it, and put some gel or cream in it to tame the frizzies.

diddiedaisy
April 17th, 2018, 11:29 AM
My growth rate changes for one week every month. It takes 3 weeks to throw out 0.5cm then on the 4th week it throws out another 0.5cm. I’ve always thought it was possibly to do with a surge in oestrogen.

Dark40
April 17th, 2018, 01:17 PM
I second lapushka. It may have something to do with the iron shortage (more shedding). Because, I've noticed during my periods sometimes I will have a heavier flow than other times, and my hair does shed a lot more. I guess because of iron loss or shortage.

MusicalSpoons
April 17th, 2018, 01:47 PM
I know that hormonal fluctuations can affect anxiety, so any OCD tendencies will usually be heightened. It could be that part of it is that you're more aware of perceived unruliness, and less tolerant of it.

I personally find during that week that trichotillomania is more likely to strike, I get more oily (not just my perception of it because I see and feel it on the rest of my skin too), I'm also likely to be too fatigued to wash on schedule so need to use dry shampoo, and less tolerant of all of those things. So, I don't know that I have 'bad hair days', but I definitely do have days when I just feel 'ugh' too :flower:

MoonRabbit
April 17th, 2018, 03:01 PM
I have dryer hair before my period, and I get more shedding that week. My makeup looks horrible, my skin looks dry, my hair doesn't corporate. I'm just a grumpy ol' bear during that time.

Glitch
April 18th, 2018, 04:43 AM
I'm no different during it, nothing really changes, nothing hurts, and I feel normal. Then there are those who are majorly affected around that time (i.e. extreme pain, breakouts, PMS, etc.). When it comes down to how it affects the body, it really comes down to the individual. But Lapushka is right -I remember this girl who used to pass out at work when she would have her period. It was always scary, and we had come to think it's just 'normal' for her, when it turned out to be an iron shortage. A deficiency like iron can really show itself during a time where we lose a significant amount of it, and may deceivingly appear as just a side effect of a period.

Margarita
April 18th, 2018, 08:06 AM
Iron shortage, you say? I have a bit of anemia and iron shortage to tell the truth, i never passed out for god's sake but, i only feel tired easily. Its rare for me to feel very energetic.

lapushka
April 18th, 2018, 09:23 AM
Iron shortage, you say? I have a bit of anemia and iron shortage to tell the truth, i never passed out for god's sake but, i only feel tired easily. Its rare for me to feel very energetic.

What did your doctor say? :)

Margarita
April 18th, 2018, 11:14 AM
What did your doctor say? :)

I did not contacted him yet, last 3 months he gave me a homeopathy pill for my OCD. I guess i have to contact with him so i can explain to him my progress and changes. Thank you for asking =)

lapushka
April 18th, 2018, 11:56 AM
I did not contacted him yet, last 3 months he gave me a homeopathy pill for my OCD. I guess i have to contact with him so i can explain to him my progress and changes. Thank you for asking =)

Good luck with that! :flower:

Glitch
April 18th, 2018, 02:30 PM

I'm glad you haven't! :heartbeat

zashin66
April 19th, 2018, 07:11 PM
My hair always looks like a dried out pile of straw during the first 2-3 days!!!

momof3mary
April 29th, 2018, 09:02 AM
Hello everyone!! Long time lurker here. I have always wondered the same about the periods and hair crazy connection. I'm having a hysterectomy on June 5th, so I can let y'all know if there's any changes without periods. BTW, I'm 36, so not quite a spring chicken, but my hair grows at a steady rate. If I'd stop shaving it off 😂